The official "What PSP should I get?" thread... keep it here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

There have been way too many threads like this, and they always come to the same conclusion: people are sick and tired of these threads flooding the boards. So, until further notice, keep it to this thread.

A word of advice though: it's always best to do some research first and at least be familiar with the differences between the 4 major models of the PSP.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

For quick reference (obviously don't trust a single person if you're looking for unbiased opinions, there's plenty of 3000 vs Go stuff online to read up on):

PSP 1000
-Bulkier design
-UMD drive
-only 32MB of memory
-standard mini USB cable for charging/transfers

PSP 2000
-Same as the 1000, plus
-Slim design
-64MB of memory (faster loads)
-mic jack
-video output

PSP 3000
-Same changes as the 2000, plus
-built-in mic
-brighter, faster screen with less ghosting (but occasionally noticeable scanlines)
-Sturdier disc tray

PSP Go
-Smaller screen (3.8" versus 4.3")
-Sliding design and rearranged button layout
-16GB of built in memory
-Memory card slot new proprietary format, not traditional MemoryStick
-proprietary 'all in one' port for USB transfers and video output
-save states possible
-supports bluetooth for using a controller
-No UMD drive

As the first two models are no longer in production the choice will fall to the 3000 (at least until the 4000 is properly announced) and the Go. While the choice is up to the individual, these are the main differences between the two:

Go
-smaller and more portable due to its size
-Has no UMD drive, rendering a previous PSP owner's catalogue useless and cutting off new users from a vast quantity of inexpensive physical PSP titles
-Not all UMD games are available on PSN - those that are usually cost more than their physical counterparts (and cannot be sold, obviously)
-new proprietary memory card format that's more expensive and more difficult to find than the old Memory Sticks.
-proprietary port for transfers and video, making replacement of lost cables more expensive
-expensive

-does not support save states
-bigger in size
-noisy when accessing a UMD (then again, all UMD based PSPs are)
-includes no memory card when purchased outside of a bundle
-still uses Memory Sticks, which can be found for $40 for 16GB
-cheaper than the Go

Both PSPs use the same cross media bar interface, both let you download and store games from PSN, both play PS1 ****cs. The crux of the decision boils down to the size of the handheld, mainly, as the 3000 is capable of everything the Go is (other than save states and bluetooth support). Whether that smaller size and more elegant look but limited and expensive game catalogue is worth the extra money is up to you.

tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
Thank you very much, MAILER, for making a sticky about this. We've seen too many of these recommendation-like threads that aren't game releated, so it's nice to see one like this. You missed a couple of details, DJ_Lae, and that is regarding the video output of the 2k and 3k, though it probably doesn't matter anymore: PSP-2000 -Video is only output in component ONLY (meaning: HDTV) for games. Games themselves (except for PS1 games) don't even take up the whole screen - just their 480*272 resoultion, unless your TV has an option to blow up the picture. -Video can be output in composite as well as component for menus and watching movies (not sure about UMD movies) and basically everything else. PSP-3000 -There are no limitations on video output; you can use all types with all content. -Also, the Home button has changed to the PS button to match the PS3, though its functions are still the same. Also you can't output video while performing a System Software update...for obvious reasons.
njdevilsfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 njdevilsfan85
Member since 2009 • 169 Posts

Great job on making a sticky and kudos to DJ_Lae for the breakdown. Maybe this will help with the constant "What PSP should I get" threads.

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 DaAlienMan
Member since 2008 • 1076 Posts

can i get some credit since this was sorta my idea too..i made my thread yesterday at like 11 at nite..did alot of researching trying to make this happen.

i also think you should add pictures for each :]

jameshwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jameshwin
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
PSP: Pros: -Able to purchase umd games that are not available on Playstation Network -Able to trade and return umd games purchased -Umds cross out the use of memory sticks -Easier control Cons: -The availability of a selection of games requires carrying umds around -Clunky weight and size can be an annoyance -No system memory, and comes with a small memory spaced memory stick -Annoying and loud sounds, when playing games PSPgo Pros: -Comes with 16gb memory -Availability of a selection of games at your fingertips -Lighter weight, and smaller size makes it easy to carry around -Silence or no sounds when playing games -Special promotions and bonuses including free games Cons: -Unavailability of umd games that aren't purchasable on Playstation Network -Different and more difficult handling -The surpassing of the limit of games requires purchasing another memory stick which are easily lost -Unavailability of trading in and returning games -Requires internet to purchase games Notice* These are just some of the pros and cons of the PSP regular, and PSPgo, I'm sure there are more I'm just listing some of the ones I know.
Xx-Addict-xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xx-Addict-xX
Member since 2009 • 1119 Posts
This again is a good idea...But there will still be these threads....
tjoeb123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tjoeb123
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts
This again is a good idea...But there will still be these threads....Xx-Addict-xX
...which will be locked, right? I'm assuming.
zapp64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9 zapp64
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Hi. DJ_Lae states above that the PSP 3000 does not support save states. What does that mean? Does the PSP 1000 or 2000 do this? I my self owns a PSP 1000.

tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts

Hi. DJ_Lae states above that the PSP 3000 does not support save states. What does that mean? Does the PSP 1000 or 2000 do this? I my self owns a PSP 1000.

zapp64
For the PSP Go, the "Do you want to quit the game" screen that pops up when you press the HOME/PS button is replaced by two options, namely "Pause Game" and "Quit Game." If you choose Pause Game, you will be brought back to the XMB with the option "Resume Game" available under Game. You can pretty much do anything like go to PSN, listen to music or even play another game with the Save state available. When you click Resume Game, you will be brought back to the paused game as if you never quitted.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DJ_Lae

Yeah - the best comparison is sleep mode on a regular PSP - it's like that, except you can keep a saved state for every game rather than just the one you're currently playing (and obviously you can't exit the game entirely or it'll just reset on the original PSPs).

zapp64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12 zapp64
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Ok, thanks! Then I'll know.

MaddogQ80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 MaddogQ80
Member since 2009 • 415 Posts

id reccomend the 3000 its the best one out there so far...

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
THANK YOU JEZUS FOR INSTALLING THIS THREAD!!!! This is wonderful to get back to. My choice goes to a 1000 for personal sturdy choice. If the more flimsy models don't bother you, I'd recommend the 3000 for the updated features.
gamebreakerz__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamebreakerz__
Member since 2010 • 5120 Posts
My launch PSP1000 is a bit wrecked but still going strong. I don't like the feel of the newer models but i guess it's what your used to.
afrodudeman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 afrodudeman123
Member since 2009 • 178 Posts

I got a BLUE 2000 psp a couple days ago And it does the job pretty well for me.

afrodudeman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 afrodudeman123
Member since 2009 • 178 Posts

not to much of a major change between psp 3000 and the go

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21 DaAlienMan
Member since 2008 • 1076 Posts

afrodudeman123
what do you mean by that, there's alot of changes between the 3000 and go. From overal design to the insides of the system. now if you meant not much of a change between 2000 and 3000 then i agree. Just some design changes. Plus the fact the screen on the 3000 is much prettier xP
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

[QUOTE="afrodudeman123"]

DaAlienMan

what do you mean by that, there's alot of changes between the 3000 and go. From overal design to the insides of the system. now if you meant not much of a change between 2000 and 3000 then i agree. Just some design changes. Plus the fact the screen on the 3000 is much prettier xP

Actually, the 3000 has the least impressive screen of all the models.

The GO may be the best model to get at this point. Reason being that the successor to the psp will likely be backwards compatible, meaning all downloaded games will be transferable to the new hardware. It isn't likely sony will offer some form of "UMD conversion" deal. I'm not upset I bought a 3000 not too long ago, but in hindsight I think the GO is the best of the models.

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 rubedisky
Member since 2009 • 1024 Posts

[QUOTE="DaAlienMan"][QUOTE="afrodudeman123"] what do you mean by that, there's alot of changes between the 3000 and go. From overal design to the insides of the system. now if you meant not much of a change between 2000 and 3000 then i agree. Just some design changes. Plus the fact the screen on the 3000 is much prettier xPHeirren

Wut???

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

Heirren

Please explain.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

The 3000 has interlacing issues.

tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tekken220

afrodudeman123

1. What are you talking about? There's tons of changes on the Go, like the Analog clock and calendar, the save state function and even bluetooth for connecting it with a DualShock 3 controller.

2. Why did you put your Portable ID in your post? xD

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rubedisky

Heirren
everyone is whinin' about the scanlines on the psp 3000... so annoying! It's really not a problem... dude..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

rubedisky

everyone is whinin' about the scanlines on the psp 3000... so annoying! It's really not a problem... dude..

I own a 3000 model--the camo MGS one--and while it isn't a huge deal, it is certainly noticeable. It's has a similar effect to watching an old action flick on an old dvd in 480i. When things get moving, the screen breaks up somewhat. I noticed it immediately on Street Fighter and Pursuit Force. Fact of the matter is though, is that the 3000 does in fact have the least impressive screen of all the psp models.

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rubedisky

[QUOTE="rubedisky"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

I own a 3000 model--the camo MGS one--and while it isn't a huge deal, it is certainly noticeable. It's has a similar effect to watching an old action flick on an old dvd in 480i. When things get moving, the screen breaks up somewhat. I noticed it immediately on Street Fighter and Pursuit Force. Fact of the matter is though, is that the 3000 does in fact have the least impressive screen of all the psp models.

of course you'll notice it. but you get used to it.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DJ_Lae
It's a trade-off, though - the interlacing of the 3000 or the horrible ghosting of the 2000/1000. I'd take the 3000's screen, as while they both break up or smear in motion, it's much more vibrant as well.
rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rubedisky
[QUOTE="DJ_Lae"]It's a trade-off, though - the interlacing of the 3000 or the horrible ghosting of the 2000/1000. I'd take the 3000's screen, as while they both break up or smear in motion, it's much more vibrant as well.

if you use a crystal case Then you don't see it anymore. I currenty use a logic3 crystal case (psp 3000)
Avatar image for GhostOfSparta50
GhostOfSparta50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GhostOfSparta50
Whatever you do dont get a go. get a psp 2000 or 3000. Psp Go: Small Only download games. Psp 3000: Play games off umd movies off umd nice design not small
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tekken220
[QUOTE="GhostOfSparta50"]Whatever you do dont get a go. get a psp 2000 or 3000. Psp Go: Small Only download games. Psp 3000: Play games off umd movies off umd nice design not small

/facepalm
rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rubedisky
[QUOTE="tekken220"][QUOTE="GhostOfSparta50"]Whatever you do dont get a go. get a psp 2000 or 3000. Psp Go: Small Only download games. Psp 3000: Play games off umd movies off umd nice design not small

/facepalm

tekken220 just ignore it. I think the go is a good system if you live in USA....it's not that good if you live in EUROPE cuz they don't even have half of the content that the USA psn has.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

PSPgo = more expensive but better system. If you own a PSPgo and living in a place limited with UMDs.....then it's a better choice to purchase/download via internet.

PSP = cheaper, easy control handling, bigger screen, bulkier, slower loading, no bluetooth, hard to find UMD english games if you are not living in United States and UK.

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 rubedisky

PSPgo = more expensive but better system. If you own a PSPgo and living in a place limited with UMDs.....then it's a better choice to purchase/download via internet.

PSP = cheaper, easy control handling, bigger screen, bulkier, slower loading, no bluetooth, hard to find UMD english games if you are not living in United States and UK.

hippiesanta
And where do you live?
dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I have owned every model myself and I never noticed the lines on the 3000 but I always sell them after I'm bored of everything on it. I haven't played peace walker yet. I'm a huge phantasy star fan so I plan on buying another PSP some time this week and picking up phantasy star portable 2 when it comes out. I also want Birth By Sleep and the new GoW. I am kinda thinking I'll just go for the cheapest model available at my local GS because I feel like it's so late in the system's life that there would be no point in buying a newer one. I loved my Go tons and I could see myself getting another one to replace my ipod like I did before but PSN didn't have my 2 favorite games available on the PSN store(Mega Man Powered Up and Phantasy Star Portable). I know they said that all new games would go onto PSN but I'm a little skeptic and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Does anyone know for sure that Phantasy Star Portable 2 is/will be on PSN? I might just go for the 1000 either way but if it's there I'd rather have the go so I can have portable gaming and not deal with bulky UMDs.

XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#38 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

hippiesanta

Just FYI, I still can play downloadable games on my 2000. Load times are similar.

MYWIIWII5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 MYWIIWII5
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

If I had to go for one it'd be the 3000 model. my old 1000 is pretty much dead. Id get a new one but I'm going to look into the 3ds. You should too its looking really good. But if your strictly Sony than 3000, PspGo isn't one id recommend

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#40 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

If I had to go for one it'd be the 3000 model. my old 1000 is pretty much dead. Id get a new one but I'm going to look into the 3ds. You should too its looking really good. But if your strictly Sony than 3000, PspGo isn't one id recommend

MYWIIWII5
I'd follow that to a line.
sora1226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 sora1226
Member since 2003 • 160 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Memory-Stick-Flash-LMSPD32GBSBNA/dp/B002RL8UQ6

Is that a good price for a 32gb memory stick?

rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rubedisky

sora1226
some of them say it's slower that the sony ones. So I am not sure.
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#43 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
[QUOTE="sora1226"]

rubedisky
some of them say it's slower that the sony ones. So I am not sure.

Yes, I just looked it up, and it seems the slower sticks are only from Lexar, not other manufacturers. You might prefer to go with a Sandisk, but other than the slight speed decrease, it's a good buy for a 32GB card. Here: http://www.pricegrabber.ca/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=60888928/id_type=masterid/
JohnnyWPSP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#44 JohnnyWPSP
Member since 2009 • 1895 Posts

3000 is the best one to get.

Weezyweezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Weezyweezer
Sorry if this is irrelevant but my friend put his psp slim under his pillow and the screen broke from that (I know retarded idn't it?) I have a psp 1003 and its held up nicely it is my second one because my first one came up with multicoloured lines on the screen if it moved like a millimeter (which if anyone knows how to fix please message me!) Sorry if its irrelevant!
rubedisky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rubedisky
Sorry if this is irrelevant but my friend put his psp slim under his pillow and the screen broke from that (I know retarded idn't it?) I have a psp 1003 and its held up nicely it is my second one because my first one came up with multicoloured lines on the screen if it moved like a millimeter (which if anyone knows how to fix please message me!) Sorry if its irrelevant!Weezyweezer
multicoloured lines sound like scratches. Yep it are scratches. If you want to get rid of them you'll have to buy a new faceplate.
Weezyweezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Weezyweezer

I don't think its scratches, because sometimes it doesn't even boot i just get a green light and there are no menu sounds or button clicks, I dropped it previously if that helps at all.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#48 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
[QUOTE="rubedisky"] multicoloured lines sound like scratches. Yep it are scratches. If you want to get rid of them you'll have to buy a new faceplate.

If you're talking about the slight screen discoloration that happens with scratching, then you'd be right, but he clearly stated, multicoloured lines. Those could be due to a broken video ribbon cable, but if you say there's no sound, that's probably something pretty serious. I've never of heard of something that bad.
ner38073

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ner38073
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts
PSP 1000, go for it.
mralspsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mralspsp
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

I highly recommend getting the bright green MGS bundle. :)