The Last of Us - OPM UK Review

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Azzurri22
Member since 2011 • 168 Posts

Hello people,

I'm a subscriber to the Official Playstation Magazine here in the UK and received the July issue this morning. The Last of Us is reviewed and I thought a few of you guys would be interested.

It received a 10, with the conclusion/verdict at the end of the review reading thus:
"A work of art in which amazing sights and sounds fuel an emotionally draining, constantly compelling end of days adventure. This is Naughty Dog pushing the PS3 to its absolute limit. Over to you PS4."

The review also states that it has the edge over and is better than Bioshock Infinite, a game which also received a 10, a couple of months ago. I don't wanna go into any more detail about the review, although suffice to say it has effectively confirmed that I will be picking this up on day one.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

Let the backlash begin!

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

The now taken down Empire review (Empire are a UK Film Site/magazine - While they are a film site they do Fair/good game reviews) gave it 5/5 and said it was the Citizen Kane of games.

So that 2 max score reviews - I'm beginning to believe the hype.

cooldust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cooldust
Member since 2006 • 3283 Posts
Now just wait for the "Who thinks The Last of Us is overated?" threads... Personally I dont believe any game deserves a 10 as nothing is 100% perfect but from playing the demo and seeing the trailers its going to be a mighty fine game that will please many and again no doubt have people crying over how overated it is.
ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
Based on the demo I give it an 8.0
Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Azzurri22

Based on the demo I give it an 8.0ultimameteora

With "demo" clearly being the operative word. It's pretty pointless grading a demo, particularly of a game in this style/genre.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#7 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
That's good

Personally I dont believe any game deserves a 10 as nothing is 100% perfect

That's not what a 10/10 or 5/5 mean.
Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The now taken down Empire review (Empire are a UK Film Site/magazine - While they are a film site they do Fair/good game reviews) gave it 5/5 and said it was the Citizen Kane of games.

So that 2 max score reviews - I'm beginning to believe the hype.

muffin200

I hate when people say that and clearly don't understand what it means to compare something to Citizen Kane. Citizen Kane is so well regarded because it was the first movie known to use the motion picture medium to its fullest. Off kilter Camera angles and close ups used to be considered bad filming and was never done before. Citizen Kane used them for artistic effect.

So how does the Last of US prove to be the perfect use of aspects exclusive to the video game medium?

THIS article actually understands what it means to compare a video game to Citizen Kane whether you agree with it or not

"The novel is the art of writing; film is the art of editing; and videogames are the art of interacting"

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

That's good

Personally I dont believe any game deserves a 10 as nothing is 100% perfectLegolas_Katarn

That's not what a 10/10 or 5/5 mean.

Was about to post this as well.

10 / 10 just means it does SO many things right that it TOTALLY outweighst the bad sides it may have.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#10 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I cant wait to pick this up.

Avatar image for danthegardner99
danthegardner99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 danthegardner99
Member since 2006 • 799 Posts

I am especially wary of games that get 10s from a lot of places. especially GS and IGN. I get hyped up because of the score and get dissapointed. GTA 4 and MGS4 being examples. I'm sure I will love The Last of Us. Naughty Dog is my favorite developer and have made my favorites series on each console back to the ps1. I have steadily paid less and less attention to review scores, and focused more on getting my hands on the game before I make my decision. Good thing I had Ascension and got the demo. :) First day buy.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sukraj

10 days to go

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Azzurri22

It looks as though Empire Magazine and Edge Magazine have also awarded the game a score of 10.

Particularly impressive in regards to Edge Magazine, as it's only the 15th game in the magazine's history to receive full marks.

http://www.shopto.net/news/42971/The-Last-of-Us-gets-1010-from-Edge-Magazine

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#14 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

You have to remember The Last of Us is a PS3 exclusive whereas Bioshock Infinite isn't I mean they said Uncharted 3 was better than 2 which is a lie so of course their gonna say that.

Still expecting a must have game though.

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Azzurri22

You have to remember The Last of Us is a PS3 exclusive whereas Bioshock Infinite isn't I mean they said Uncharted 3 was better than 2 which is a lie so of course their gonna say that.

chocolate1325

It's a lie in your opinion you mean? Fair enough.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chocolate1325

[QUOTE="chocolate1325"]

Azzurri22

It's a lie in your opinion you mean? Fair enough.

If your talking about Uncharted 3 being better than 2 then I can't agree there.

withe1982

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 withe1982
Member since 2005 • 450 Posts

First time i've seen the 20 min demo in action video. Enjoy for those who've yet to see it;

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Now just wait for the "Who thinks The Last of Us is overated?" threads... Personally I dont believe any game deserves a 10 as nothing is 100% perfect but from playing the demo and seeing the trailers its going to be a mighty fine game that will please many and again no doubt have people crying over how overated it is.cooldust

I completely agree with your comments on a game deserving a 10/10 the problem with reviewers nowa days seem to always pushing right at the top end of the ratings without thinking and many people now readin reviews only go for games 8/10 or upwards and this is wrong, ther last of us looks great and i have no doubt that this game is going to be great but no game should have a 10/10 because in my mind every game can be better than what it is. reviewers need to start using the whole spectrum of ratings that actually mean something. 

ipumpmygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ipumpmygun
Member since 2007 • 456 Posts
Edge Magazine gave this game a 10
KiriharaZro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 KiriharaZro
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

[QUOTE="ultimameteora"]Based on the demo I give it an 8.0Azzurri22

With "demo" clearly being the operative word. It's pretty pointless grading a demo, particularly of a game in this style/genre.

as the demo come out 31 May, it has to be a demostration of a work at least at a 90%, and its not as amazing as they show us in the videos, they release videos from cinematics what are awesome, but gameplay not match that level. Even in the demo we see the cinematic when they come out of the sewers and when turn to the gamplay its evident the change of graphics, if you dont noticed or just deny it well thats up to you, but I dont get amazed with that. Im fan of Naughty Dog games, I own since the Crash series to the Ucharted series and I have to say I feel a bit disapointed with this.
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts

Im sure it will get high ratings. Im looking for the first 11/10. I do know ppl are going to love, and ppl are going to hate it, and some secretly loving it but pretending to hate it.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

This is very interesting, Bioshock Infinite is my favorite game with its great atmosphere, story, characters, and fun gameplay.  I'm now really looking forward to getting into the world of The Last of Us.  And to think, Beyond is coming out in a few months as well, which from what footage they've shown seems to have a really engaging story (gameplay idk, but the atmosphere and voice acting seems to be top notch).

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sukraj

9 days to go guys.

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Azzurri22

[QUOTE="Azzurri22"]

[QUOTE="ultimameteora"]Based on the demo I give it an 8.0KiriharaZro

...and when turn to the gamplay its evident the change of graphics, if you dont noticed or just deny it well thats up to you, but I dont get amazed with that...

Can you please repeat that in English? I'm afraid I don't speak whatever that was.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

IGN review is up. 10/10

:EDIT: Gamespot gives it an 8.0

Bloodseeker23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Bloodseeker23
Member since 2008 • 8338 Posts
GS the hipster of giving out scores without justifying it. 8.0? Really? lol
CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 CommanderShiro

GS the hipster of giving out scores without justifying it. 8.0? Really? lolBloodseeker23
Feedbackula for sure lol

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 chocolate1325

Don't forget this is the same guy that gave Halo ODST a 9.

ipumpmygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ipumpmygun
Member since 2007 • 456 Posts
96 on Metacritic.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#30 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Hello people,

I'm a subscriber to the Official Playstation Magazine here in the UK and received the July issue this morning. The Last of Us is reviewed and I thought a few of you guys would be interested.

It received a 10, with the conclusion/verdict at the end of the review reading thus:
"A work of art in which amazing sights and sounds fuel an emotionally draining, constantly compelling end of days adventure. This is Naughty Dog pushing the PS3 to its absolute limit. Over to you PS4."

The review also states that it has the edge over and is better than Bioshock Infinite, a game which also received a 10, a couple of months ago. I don't wanna go into any more detail about the review, although suffice to say it has effectively confirmed that I will be picking this up on day one.

Azzurri22
One of the best reviewers out there also gave it a top mark, i can only suggest people go to youtube and seach for Da Sess. Gamespots own review seems to be in the hands of someone who thinks reviews has to rhyme and almost be a poem, so i cannot in good con, recommend that.
ultimameteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ultimameteora
Member since 2003 • 2573 Posts
Based on the demo I give it an 8.0ultimameteora
I called it.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
8 days to go never care for reviews
Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Azzurri22

[QUOTE="ultimameteora"]Based on the demo I give it an 8.0ultimameteora
I called it.

Congratulations, you really must be so proud of yourself.

All you called was the score given by a website renowned for writing up terrible reviews. You're a long way away from 'calling it' in regards to what the game actually deserves, which would appear to be at least a 9, looking at the vast majority of reviews.

RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#34 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

I'm surprised all these reviewers are already scoring The Last of US 1 week in advance. Normally it's like two or three days before the game is released. But I've seen reviews popping up a week and a half an advance. Freakin' crazy, and makes me jealous cuz that means they get to get their hands on the game early.

All I know is, the minute I get it, I'm going to sit my butt down. Prepare some snackage on the side, pop up a bottle of soda, and play the living crap out of the game :P.

Azzurri22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Azzurri22

All I know is, the minute I get it, I'm going to sit my butt down. Prepare some snackage on the side, pop up a bottle of soda, and play the living crap out of the game :P.

RatedSTARZ

Sounds like a plan! I'm thinking next weekend will go a similar route for me too.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 CommanderShiro

I'm surprised all these reviewers are already scoring The Last of US 1 week in advance. Normally it's like two or three days before the game is released. But I've seen reviews popping up a week and a half an advance. Freakin' crazy, and makes me jealous cuz that means they get to get their hands on the game early.

RatedSTARZ

They'll be busy with E3 press coverage next week. 

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

So Game Spot gives it an 8, IGN gives it a 10, Game Informer gave it a 9.5, N4G gave it a 9.5, and Metacritic gives it a 9.6. Doesn't it seem unusual GS would come in so much lower than everywhere else?

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I'm not one for caring much about reviews, but this has rattled me, looking at his last lot of reviews he scored uncharted 2 - 9.5

The true problem i have is his only complaints were that he didn't feel for the characters and that going through doors into other area's made it feel not very immersive and thats it nothing more everything else from him was good and it gets an 8 :S

Uncharted 2 on the other hand actually gives worse points for it :S

this is from the same reviewer:

Uncharted 2

The Good

• Exciting, brilliantly paced adventure   
  • Excellent, varied combat   
  • Thrilling acrobatics and exploration   
  • Fun and intense co-op   
  • Joyous multiplayer complete with a perks system.

The Bad

• Clumsy cover system in tight spaces   
  • Platforming sections limit exactly what you can climb on.
and that games gets a 9.5 The Last Of Us

The Good

• Ellie is immediately likable and exhibits poignant growth   
  • Tense combat encounters with plenty of flexibility   
  • Crafting system demands environmental investigation   
  • Slow-paced, rewarding competitive multiplayer   
  • Excellent sound design and moving score.

The Bad

• Supporting characters are rarely sympathetic   
  • Combat contains too many immersion-breaking exploits.
and gets a 8.0 seriously how does uncharted 2 get an 9.5 from him when he gives it more of a deal breaker than the last of us, clumsy cover shooting and limits to where you have to climb, i mean those to me are worse than the bad points of the last of us every other critic has actually said they loved the characters and it is a factor of how they are in this type of world so his bad point is just nothing shouldn't even be taken off any points on the score and the combat parts being broke up will uncharted was pretty much a clear one area of enemy and move on to the next :S 

He isn't consistent and thats how a game critic should be, and i mean even the review was very bare to right it an 8.0 and not explain himself, most of the time he was giving it all the praise in the world, he even praised the multiplayer. are game critics just any tom dick n harry who can string a few words together with some fancy words. will never take the guy seriously until he give me a proper in depth review and is consistent and explains why.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 chocolate1325

Who cares what some reviewer gives I say just buy the game and play it for yourself.

RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#40 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

Who cares what some reviewer gives I say just buy the game and play it for yourself.

chocolate1325

Agreed :). We're all gamers, and we are all entitled to our own opinion. SOme games may be amazing to others like Call of Duty, and some enjoy the pixelated fun of pokemon. We're all different. 

H_M_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 H_M_1
Member since 2011 • 1150 Posts

[QUOTE="chocolate1325"]

RatedSTARZ

Agreed :). We're all gamers, and we are all entitled to our own opinion. SOme games may be amazing to others like Call of Duty, and some enjoy the pixelated fun of pokemon. We're all different. 

True it's like on IGN where the reviewer criticised the story of Killzone 3 but I'm enjoying it. One review out of a dozen perfect reviews isn't going to mess up sales of TLOU.
piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#42 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
I really liked the demo, I'm good with the 10/10
glitch2424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 glitch2424
Member since 2006 • 897 Posts

Now just wait for the "Who thinks The Last of Us is overated?" threads... Personally I dont believe any game deserves a 10 as nothing is 100% perfect but from playing the demo and seeing the trailers its going to be a mighty fine game that will please many and again no doubt have people crying over how overated it is.cooldust

100% agreed. I would be one of those ppl who would start those threads, b/c honestly, no game since super mario 64 or World of Warcraft deserved a 10/10