The Last of Us, creative cop out...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 GAJY_FILTH
Member since 2003 • 112 Posts

The opening was amazing, it was what I wanted from a Single Player zombie based game. Like finally someone doing a Dawn of the Dead like opening, showing you from how it all starts instead of just being based after. It's nice to see the fall, what disappointed me about Bioshock, you never got to see the fall of the city, that would make an amazing KOTOR like RPG.

I thought the game was different, they'd be going down a different route to your traditional third person game, which since Gears have all been cover based. That turned out not to be the case, it ended up being a generic cover based shooter where you perform such boring tasks like "give me a boost" or "where's the ladder"? or get that pallet over to Ellen Page so she can cross the river.

I think the first moment I knew the game was going to suck was here...

http://s14.postimg.org/k9w39xj1t/Untitled.jpg

Like oh here we go, this is Gears of War level design from 2006, where there is very obvious cover placed around that looks so unrealistic. The worst thing is how the exact same cover is placed around the whole game :\ The level design is generally good, I cannot believe they packed so much detail onto a PS3 game, however when you see shit like this it's all ruined.

I just wish'd the first 15 mins was the whole game, they could have taken the chance to do something different, maybe more puzzle based like Portal 2 or something innovative we haven't seen before. Instead they took the easy way out and chose to do the most boring thing of all and give us another cover based TPS.

The same thing happened with Bioshock infinite earlier on in the year, great opening, it could have been something different and amazing... but no it turned into a crap shooter that made no sense to the story and the mechanics were just so poor, it controlled worse on PC than the original Bioshock as well. Ken Lavigne was hailed as some God as he bigged up the story, but not only does the conclusion make no sense to the logic the game built up, but he forgot about the game.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

You are about 6 months too late with this assessment. Your response is based off of like 2 hrs of game play. Play the entire game before making a rush judgment like so many people have done. But then again, you're going to think what you want to think. I happen to think it was one of the 5 best games in the PS3 lifetime. But that's just me.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

If only someone as smart and cool as you was a game director.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

One of the best games of 2013. Case. Closed.

thetravman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 thetravman
Member since 2003 • 3592 Posts

Too many ladder/plank/rafts for my taste. The game was overrated but still good (mainly because of the story).

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I highly doubt that GAJY_FILTH even played this game. First, TLOU is far from a generic "cover based shooter". Joel is far limited in ammo that he can't just run, hide, stand shoot, run, hide, stand shoot, on and on. There are plenty of times where stealth is necessary and pretty much the only option. There are plenty of times when running away is the best option especially when you are out of ammo and just down to melee weapon. That doesn't happen in generic third person shooters where the main character tends to be so powerful vs enemies.

SPOILER.........................Even though Joel has a backpack of weapons, he isn't a very powerful character when it comes to the weapons. The shotgun's range is terrible. It takes a lot of handgun bullets to take down an enemy even a simple enemy. You are gonna have to fight and use stealth. The rifle isn't the easiest to aim and isn't that powerful. You can do head shots with rifle to helmet and the helmet just falls off and the enemy is fine. Bow and arrow?! Cmon...... Are we really comparing Joel to a character from Gears of War or Nathan Drake from Uncharted? They are nothing like Joel. There aren't any machine guns to use through the game until the last chapter. I must have missed the part where Joel was going around with a Gears of War Mark 2 Lancer chainsaw rifle, AK-47 with some grenades or had a rocket launcher in his arsenal. Joel isn't arnold schwarzenegger from Commando going crazy with the powerful machine gun with rocket launcher and grenades and just mowing down enemies. Far from a generic 3rd person shooter.

As for the puzzles? I would have liked to see some puzzles but this environment isn't the place where you would see puzzles. "Read the clues, move this statue to this place and unlock the magic door"..... In Uncharted games, Nathan is in a tomb where I can see puzzles that can be used to unlock doors or whatever. How would one create a puzzle situation in the TLOU environment? Tough. Saying that this game sucks because it didn't have good puzzles is pretty ridiculous.... Just as ridiculous as saying this game sucks because there are crates in a circle in the picture. Maybe the enemies use those crates as tables when they put all the weapons on the tables during a weapon deal. Or maybe they used them as tables to eat on. Maybe they used the crates as chairs when a group of people wanted to gather together to listen to their bandit leader. Some people are looking way too much into how these 5 crates are arranged. Search "crates warehouse" and you will see a ton of pic of crates arranged in oddly ways in warehouses.

On top of that, I thought the way that TLOU did health was absolutely perfect even though it made him more susceptible. One hit by some enemies and you were dead. No hide from cover and simply regenerate your health. Far from generic 3rd person shooter.

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GAJY_FILTH

No not played it at all.....

I'm about 6 hours in, I'm done with it, it isn't a good game... good visually, that is about it.

Legolose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Legolose
Member since 2007 • 536 Posts

@dalger21 said:

You are about 6 months too late with this assessment. Your response is based off of like 2 hrs of game play. Play the entire game before making a rush judgment like so many people have done. But then again, you're going to think what you want to think. I happen to think it was one of the 5 best games in the PS3 lifetime. But that's just me.

100% Agreed !!!

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Honestly if you think The last of us is a genric shooter you ain't played it long enough it's a compelling blockbuster like story, the story is so powerful, and right from the start it isn't a zombie game. it's how a video game movie should be

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

try playing the game on hard setting, it makes the game much more interesting, i haven't really tried the hardest gameplay setting, where you cannot even use the hearing ability to determine the positions of the infected...

BH14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 BH14
Member since 2005 • 1927 Posts

I still don't believe the original poster actually played the game even just by showing a picture of a game disc. It could be a picture from online or a picture from his friend's game. More reason that I don't believe the original poster played it is that his feed only shows PC and Nintendo Wii U discussions. Talking all about PC and Nintendo Wii U and then suddenly makes 1 post about his hatred of The Last of Us being "generic shooter". On top of that, his top 10 games doesn't have one PS3 game and he said "I don't play more than one or two games a year on consoles anyways..".... I am sure TLOU was his one console game that he played in 2013.

GAJY_FILTH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GAJY_FILTH

Don't believe me then... I'll live, I'm sorry people have a different opinion to you that the game is actually very over rated.

gold_struck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By gold_struck
Member since 2013 • 64 Posts

@BH14 this is the concrete evidence that he ain't a gamer when i google the pic he posted i got this pic from a user in india who is willing to sell it and both the pics have same textures and table. the pic posted is randomly taken from internet

@BH14 said:

I still don't believe the original poster actually played the game even just by showing a picture of a game disc. It could be a picture from online or a picture from his friend's game. More reason that I don't believe the original poster played it is that his feed only shows PC and Nintendo Wii U discussions. Talking all about PC and Nintendo Wii U and then suddenly makes 1 post about his hatred of The Last of Us being "generic shooter". On top of that, his top 10 games doesn't have one PS3 game and he said "I don't play more than one or two games a year on consoles anyways..".... I am sure TLOU was his one console game that he played in 2013.

gold_struck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By gold_struck
Member since 2013 • 64 Posts

@MondasM: its really pain in the a** to play in survivor first hearing aid is disabled then the triaingle prompt before attacking someone is disabled so its all about instinct and crafting items, health kits, and bullets are scarce when compared to hard mode hope you know how less parts are available in hard mode. enemies take more shots to the body to get killed still headshots are 1 shot 1 kill. and its all about stealth patience and timing need to build a strategy first before moving an inch in between clickers. make every shots count. try to escape than wasting ammo its really awesome in survivor heart will keep on pounding best ever horror experience after RE:4

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

@gold_struck: , thanks for the info i'll try survivor mode when i have time... :)

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

Only bought it a couple of days ago, but so far I'm really enjoying it and its my 2nd favourite game of 2013 behind GTA5. Seems like TC is trolling to me.