The lack of "couch multiplayer" on the PS4 is disappointing

#1 Posted by REfan1987 (285 posts) -

I'm noticing that a vast majority of games coming out on the PS4 are 1-player and only 1-player. You have your indies, like Towerfall, which are MP, but the majority of the other types of games aren't. This has me rather unsettled since I came from PS2 -> Wii -> PS4, so I'm used to (and expect) a decent amount of options for couch/local multiplayer. I'm not finding many on the PS4. Other than indies, the only one I've found that my friends and I will actually play is CoD Ghosts, simply because it's a decent shooter (if it wasn't 2 player I probably wouldn't have bought it - terrible campaign IMO).

I *think* I know what Sony and other companies are trying to do. By making the popular games 1-player only, the only way a person could play multiplayer with their friends is if their friends bought the console and got the game - is this part of Sony's revenue strategy? If so, I think the gaming industry is going down the wrong path. PC gaming is a completely different story, but I think console game developers should include the 2 player option more often. It's in your living room for a reason.... to be played with multiple people. I'm not sure what the situation with the Xbox One is since I don't follow that, but the Wii U is embracing couch multiplayer still. Maybe that's why it's getting more popular (just a guess).

I know it hasn't been even a year, and there aren't many games out yet. However, after looking at some previews of the games coming out in the next year, the majority of them are going to be only 1-player local. Not even Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare will be 2-player as they are going down to 1. Am I just freaking out or is there a real shift at work here?

Thanks, looking forward to reading other player opinions.

#2 Edited by BH14 (1671 posts) -

@REfan1987:

It is a different time. Back in the old days, we didnt have all this online multiplayer so couch playing was done and games were more suited for it especially with 4:3 tvs. Now games are more complex. In the old days, it was 2d side scrolling so it was easier to do. Now, it is shooters with split screen but with the wide screen, it looks bad. Racing games look bad with split screen on wide screen tvs as well. I dont like split screen because i cant see much. Sport games always work well. I dont have many couch players games.

#3 Posted by REfan1987 (285 posts) -

Yeah, kind of sad to see that the evolution of TVs has brought down couch mp to a barely existent state. The main option now is to play 1P and switch off, which doesn't work as well, but will do. We do have Towerfall, which is awesome.

#4 Edited by bezza2011 (2384 posts) -

Yep I totally agree with you, but you've missed it, PS3 and Xbox360 started this off, by going online and instead of allowing co-op or games to play with mates, they want you all to stay in not have any friends and just play online on your own, which is a shame, it's all well and good allowing us to play people all around the world, but at the same time it's actually making us less social in many ways, those of the days of mates coming round for pizza and a round of fps split screen are pretty much gone and even most racing games don't allow split screens, sad times to be fair.

#5 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Dissapointing ? Thats an understatement, this is a f#cking catastrophe ! ! !

#6 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1383 posts) -

@REfan1987: I don't know what you're talking about, I have been playing UFC, madden, Fifa with my friends for a while already on a couch on ps4. more games will come soon. guilty gear is coming this year.

#7 Posted by MethodManFTW (25584 posts) -

Dissapointing ? Thats an understatement, this is a f#cking catastrophe ! ! !

Heh, what a life it must be where the number of couch co-op games on PS4 is a catastrophe.

Anyhow, here is a list of current couch co-op games and upcoming games with confirmed couch co-op.

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/22/playstation-4.html

#8 Posted by REfan1987 (285 posts) -

@REfan1987: I don't know what you're talking about, I have been playing UFC, madden, Fifa with my friends for a while already on a couch on ps4. more games will come soon. guilty gear is coming this year.

Honestly not a fan of sports video games, but thanks for the info. Guilty Gear looks pretty good.

@MethodManFTW:

Great list! I'm definitely going to consider Dead Nation.

#9 Posted by NightLord415 (14 posts) -

the Couch multiplayer of this gen is:

Smash Bros
(Maybe) COD split screenbut COD has gotten way too boring and overly fast paced).

aaaand thats about it.

#10 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1383 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

Honestly not a fan of sports video games, but thanks for the info. Guilty Gear looks pretty good.

@MethodManFTW:

Great list! I'm definitely going to consider Dead Nation.

the point is there hasn't been much of anything so far not just couch games.

#11 Posted by Basinboy (11057 posts) -

Local co-op/MP has been on its last leg for some time - online gaming happened and there's not a lot of sense in making a game that's more than 2 player local, plus the strain on resources and divying up of screen space are also detractions.

#12 Posted by joseph_mach (3580 posts) -

Yup. I totally agree with you TC. The days of local co-op seem to be fading away. I understand that online gaming has since taken the driving wheel when it comes to multiplayer, but there's still nothing like having friends and family playing right next to you.

#13 Edited by Megavideogamer (5323 posts) -

# This is why I am looking forward to Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil edition on the Playstation 4. Even though I have the plain old Diablo 3 on the Playstation 3. But thus far local co-op games for the PS4 are few and far between. Maybe the Lego game of Lego Marvel Super Hero's is another local co-op game for the PS4.

But Sony has to make back their money developing the PS4. On-line play for the PS4 is no longer free as was during the PS3 era. So PS+ subscription is needed now for on-line play. Which with the demise of local co-op seems to have been planned this way.

Sony has to make money. They took a massive beating with the Playstation 3. After the success of the PS1 and PS2 Sony has learned that if the PS4 is to make it's money back. Sony has to grind the bottom line. Thus couch co-op bites the dust.

#14 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9523 posts) -

Honestly, the decline of split-screen MP has made me come to resent online gaming. Online gaming will never be better than split-screen in my eyes.

#15 Posted by Notorious1234NA (307 posts) -

Iz u for real

#16 Posted by NightLord415 (14 posts) -

OOH WAIT. i remmeber one. 4 player split screen, local MINECRAFT.

#17 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4626 posts) -

@REfan1987: Welcome to 2005 dude. It's been like this for ages. It isn't a "strategy" by Sony or anyone, making split-screen takes more resources and creates more cost for game development budgets. It was an area that declined in popularity over 2000-2005 as online gaming gained popularity on consoles and then it became the number one thing developers started cutting off.

#18 Posted by bonesawisready5 (4626 posts) -

@Megavideogamer: The lack of split screen has nothing to do with "making money" for Sony. Developers as a whole cut costs by not trying to add it into online centered games.

Also, Sony doesn't "need" to make money back with cutting something like split screen, they already said they make a profit off every PS4 unit sold so they're rolling in the money regardless of what features they cut/add.

#19 Posted by ristactionjakso (5713 posts) -

@REfan1987: Ps4 is still a fairly new system, they will have splitscreen/co-op games for sure.

But you should look into Dead Nation, Mercanary Kings, Resogun now has local co-op via update and the $5 add on is really great, towerfall acsension, Knack, Lego the Hobbit, Trine 2 complete edition.

Ps4 is getting Diablo 3 also soon, thats a must buy for couch co-op.

#20 Edited by Articuno76 (18747 posts) -

It's not really a Sony thing so much as an industry wide shift to online multiplayer. A shame as I like my multiplayer experience to be local co-op. Had a great experience with Shank because was one of the best local co-op games I'd played in a while.

#21 Edited by jesser7 (45 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames:

they need some games like gears of war on xbox or even halo were u play campaing on splitscreen. racing games should also play campaing on splitscreen like old school top gear .

#22 Edited by SolidTy (42450 posts) -

@jesser7 said:

@ps4hasnogames:

they need some games like gears of war on xbox or even halo were u play campaing on splitscreen. racing games should also play campaing on splitscreen like old school top gear .

You are bringing up 360 games in a PS4 thread. You could have just as easily brought up PS3. All the last generation PS360Wii have a bunch of couch co op games. That's not a surprise since they are old.

The PS4 is new...as a matter of fact, the Xbone is the same age as both came out in Nov 2013.

The current Xbone and PS4 do not have many couch co op games, but TOWERFALL ASCENSION (87/100) is highly recommended. It's also pretty new. In fact, Towerfall was free on PS+! In fact, Trine 2, Mercenary Kings, Dead Nation Apocalypse, and Resogun all support couch co-op and they all were free at some point due to PS+!

PS+ offered 12 games so far this year for PS4, pretty amazing when compared to the other platform that has a similar service (3 GwG games for Xbone).

Hopefully that list will help out the TC.

#23 Posted by SolidTy (42450 posts) -

It's not really a Sony thing so much as an industry wide shift to online multiplayer. A shame as I like my multiplayer experience to be local co-op. Had a great experience with Shank because was one of the best local co-op games I'd played in a while.

I enjoyed this comment; it saved me time. :)

#24 Edited by jesser7 (45 posts) -

@SolidTy: yea towerfall is good need more of that how about givin us a free bomberman remake . That game is wicked on 4p battles

#25 Edited by SolidTy (42450 posts) -

@jesser7 said:

@SolidTy: yea towerfall is good need more of that how about givin us a free bomberman remake . That game is wicked on 4p battles

Aye, would love a great bomberman, wicked fun that game is!