The Greatest game of seventh generation.

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by midway_nights (575 posts) -

since 2008 when i actually officially retired my ps2 and bought ps3, my top lists have changed alot.

it was assasins creed and gta 4 for some time then it was dead space and uncharted 2 for sometime i remember in 2010 it was red dead redemption and god of war 3, MGS 4 was a disappointment for me.

but as new playstation is around the corner and hopefully next year almost all developers will start developing games for new consoles.

but as of now i think the greatest game of this generation is Batman: Arkham City.

i know gta v is & arkham origins is due in september 17 and october 25.

#2 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (566 posts) -

I'll go with Dark Souls.

#3 Posted by NoirLamia777 (2161 posts) -

I'll go with Dark Souls.

DaRq_MiNoS

Same.

#4 Posted by vpacalypse (567 posts) -

Uncharted 2 for me.

it had that surprise factor of...wow...I've never heard of this... but it's excellent.

#5 Posted by roboccs (7061 posts) -
On PS3 I would have to say either the Mass Effect series or Dragon Age Origins... However, I'm about 2/3 done with Xenoblade (on Wii of course) and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.
#6 Posted by marcheegsr (2830 posts) -

Mass effect 2

#7 Posted by TheTenth10 (3057 posts) -

Bioshock for bringing story and atmosphere to the FPS genre

Borderlands for the fun

Kingdoms of Amalur for fun gameplay, deep XP and craft system

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72237 posts) -

Mass effect 2

marcheegsr
That game just showed me how far we have come when it comes to how an overall game should be. Perfect game in my book. Forza 4 and Tomb Raider are worthy mentions in my book aswell
#9 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto IV (soon to be replaced with V), God of War III (the series mean a lot to me) and The Last of Us.

#10 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (6198 posts) -
Very hard to choose just one... It'd be between Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, Mass Effect series, Portal 2, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 2 & Last of Us for me. All are amazing!
#11 Posted by Coolyfett (5085 posts) -

I'll go with Dark Souls for 500$ Alex

DaRq_MiNoS

#12 Posted by toughtrasher (244 posts) -

After recently playing The Last of Us, no other game has come up in mind when asked questions like this.

But actually now that I think of it, I've invested an unhealthy load on Grand Theft Auto IV over the years.

#13 Posted by GTR12 (9651 posts) -

Portal 2

#14 Posted by chocolate1325 (32539 posts) -

Uncharted 2 for me.

it had that surprise factor of...wow...I've never heard of this... but it's excellent.

vpacalypse

This

#15 Posted by sukraj (23023 posts) -

The Last of Us

#16 Posted by pearlboy601 (195 posts) -
Batman: Arkham City for me
#17 Posted by bigt503 (37 posts) -

Multiplayer: COD 4

Single player: Cant decide between last of us and Uncharted 2.

#18 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -

952591_111239_thumb.jpg

Fairytale Fights.. :lol: 

#19 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -
I would have to say either MGS4, or Mass Effect 1, there were so many amazing games this generation that its pretty impossible to pick, i could list a dozen at least that i would say have been a defining game for me this gen.. personally I would say Persona 3, while it didn't come out on 7th gen consoles it did come out during the 7th gen (august 2007)
#20 Posted by PoisoN_Facecam0 (3734 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto IV (soon to be replaced with V), God of War III (the series mean a lot to me) and The Last of Us.

Ricardomz
GTA4 obviously wasn't that great if it can be replaced with GTAV
#21 Posted by 187umKILLAH (1345 posts) -

Deus Ex: Human Revolution for me

#22 Posted by Chief9088 (441 posts) -

Demon's Souls. False King + Man Eaters + Flame Lurker were some of the funnest, most intense boss fights of any game I have ever played. Ever. I didn't play Demon's Souls co op until probably my tenth playthrough. Although the co op is much easier, it is still an aboslutely incredible experience, especially on the aforementioned boss fights.

Despite still being an exceptional game, Dark Souls is marred by an overabundance of overly simple filler bosses and offers far less entertainment or challenge (in comparison to Demon's Souls). At certain points in Dark Souls it seemed as if From Software had run out of ideas. In every way, Dark Souls felt easier, less exciting, and less entertaining. Havind said that, I loved Dark Souls and played it for over 200 hours (PS3 +PC)... I just don't think it is better than Demon's Souls.

#23 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13142 posts) -
This is pretty tough. I'm inclined to say MGS4 simply because I have such a strong attachment to the franchise and that game had such a huge impact on me. At the same time, Demon's Souls was one of the most innovative, strategic, and atmospheric things I've touched this generation, while Red Dead Redemption still feels like the greatest adventure I've ever been on. So, I guess, in my humble opinion, the greatest game of the seventh generation is none other than Metal Demon's Redemption 4.
#24 Posted by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -
Xenoblade Chronicles. Edit: whoops thought this was SW... On PS3 it would be probably be LBP.
#25 Posted by darkghost75 (1584 posts) -

bioshock/bioshock infinite, mass effect 2, fallout 3, and mgs4....are in their own league

#26 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Defense of the Ancients 2, but on PS3 I'd go with Yakuza 4.

Both great games all around.

#27 Posted by roboccs (7061 posts) -
Xenoblade Chronicles. bbkkristian
Nothing wrong with this answer.
#28 Posted by bbkkristian (14955 posts) -
[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Xenoblade Chronicles. roboccs
Nothing wrong with this answer.

:)
#29 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9036 posts) -

After the dust has settled quite a bit, I can confidently say it's one of these two games. They are as close to perfection that I've seen all gen. Pure quality in every detail.

981375_149986_front--article_image.jpg

91su-V7b9rL.jpg

#30 Posted by beefalo (300 posts) -
[QUOTE="marcheegsr"]

Mass effect 2

The_Last_Ride
That game just showed me how far we have come when it comes to how an overall game should be. Perfect game in my book. Forza 4 and Tomb Raider are worthy mentions in my book aswell

+1 on Mass Effect 2 Also Metal Gear Solid 4 for me.
#31 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9036 posts) -

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"][QUOTE="marcheegsr"]

Mass effect 2

beefalo

Then there are the people like me who look at games like Mass Effect 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Uncharted 2 and think to ourselves how far the industry has fallen :(

#32 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13142 posts) -

[QUOTE="beefalo"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] That game just showed me how far we have come when it comes to how an overall game should be. Perfect game in my book. Forza 4 and Tomb Raider are worthy mentions in my book aswellPikminmaniac

Then there are the people like me who look at games like Mass Effect 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, and Uncharted 2 and think to ourselves how far the industry has fallen :(

Fallen? Or taken in a direction you didn't much care for? I believe the majority of gamers would say those games you named are all examples of how the industry has improved in certain areas. They may not be your favorites, but that doesn't make them the bane of the gaming industry. :P
#33 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9036 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="beefalo"] +1 on Mass Effect 2 Also Metal Gear Solid 4 for me.MrSelf-Destruct

Fallen? Or taken in a direction you didn't much care for? I believe the majority of gamers would say those games you named are all examples of how the industry has improved in certain areas. They may not be your favorites, but that doesn't make them the bane of the gaming industry. :P

Yeah it's definitely just my own opinion on the subject. I don't like the turn a lot of games have made focusing more on cinematic flourish and story rather than gameplay. The aspect that makes this industry unique is the gameplay and I feel those games that have taken a lot of the spotlight don't play to this industry's strengths. That's just how I feel.

#34 Posted by CTR360 (7100 posts) -
ps3 last of us xbox 360 halo 4 wii xenoblade
#35 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

[QUOTE="beefalo"][QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"] That game just showed me how far we have come when it comes to how an overall game should be. Perfect game in my book. Forza 4 and Tomb Raider are worthy mentions in my book aswellPikminmaniac

Remove Uncharted 2 from that statement and I agree with you, 10 years down the track and we will be happy to even have gameplay in games.
#36 Posted by SirToxe (2 posts) -
Journey.
#37 Posted by dimebag667 (777 posts) -

demon's souls

#38 Posted by MrSelf-Destruct (13142 posts) -

[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

Pikminmaniac

Yeah it's definitely just my own opinion on the subject. I don't like the turn a lot of games have made focusing more on cinematic flourish and story rather than gameplay. The aspect that makes this industry unique is the gameplay and I feel those games that have taken a lot of the spotlight don't play to this industry's strengths. That's just how I feel.

Hey, I can definitely respect that. Though, I'd argue that MGS4, at least, had very deep and entertaining gameplay, regardless of how plentiful the cutscenes were.
#39 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (566 posts) -

Demon's Souls. False King + Man Eaters + Flame Lurker were some of the funnest, most intense boss fights of any game I have ever played. Ever. I didn't play Demon's Souls co op until probably my tenth playthrough. Although the co op is much easier, it is still an aboslutely incredible experience, especially on the aforementioned boss fights.

Despite still being an exceptional game, Dark Souls is marred by an overabundance of overly simple filler bosses and offers far less entertainment or challenge (in comparison to Demon's Souls). At certain points in Dark Souls it seemed as if From Software had run out of ideas. In every way, Dark Souls felt easier, less exciting, and less entertaining. Havind said that, I loved Dark Souls and played it for over 200 hours (PS3 +PC)... I just don't think it is better than Demon's Souls.

Chief9088

I thought Demon's Souls was ruined by most of the boss fights having cheap/cheesy ways to win. Especially the final fight. It is a great game though as well (Dark Souls being my pick for greatest game). This series is the best I've seen in a long time. I am so bummed that Dark Souls 2 is not coming to PS4. I guess I'll have to stream it off Gaikai, as I'm trading in my PS3 at launch.

#40 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

How can anyone narrow it down to just 1 game considering how long this gen has been, I can't even think of one and single out the rest

#41 Posted by thetravman (3521 posts) -

I'm torn between Skyward Sword, Bioshock, and Arkham City. I can't choose one over the other.

#42 Posted by idunnodude (2282 posts) -

Mass effect 2

marcheegsr
#43 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72237 posts) -

How is it bad to have story in the game. There is also enough gameplay and exploration in those games to last 50+ hours. How has it fallen?
#44 Posted by Azzurri22 (167 posts) -

The Last of Us takes the prize in my opinion.

Honourable mentions for Uncharted 2 & 3, Mass Effect 2 & 3, Bioshock and Killzone 2.

#45 Posted by VanguardWarrior (19 posts) -

Depends what system. I also haven't played some of the games this gen.

Favorite games this gen in no order:

1. Uncharted 2

2. Red Dead Redemption

3. Halo 4

4. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots

5. The Elder Scrolls IV: Skyrim

I think the best game this gen is gonna go to Grand Theft Auto 5. Regarding what is already playable, I'm gonna go with Metal Gear Solid 4.

#46 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (566 posts) -

Does it bug anyone else when someone asks for ONE game and people post a handful. I've played about 100 games this gen, and I find it hard to narrow it down to one game, but I do. That's what the original poster is asking.

#47 Posted by InstantKlassick (1126 posts) -

Personal Opinion: Skate 3

What everyone wants me to say: The Last of Us (Have not played) GTA IV (overrated) GoW III, MGS4 (overrated), etc, etc lol

#48 Posted by blueboxdoctor (2397 posts) -

Definitely Bioshock Infinite, everything about that game's awesome.

#49 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72237 posts) -

Does it bug anyone else when someone asks for ONE game and people post a handful. I've played about 100 games this gen, and I find it hard to narrow it down to one game, but I do. That's what the original poster is asking.

DaRq_MiNoS
When there is a thread like this "greatest of" or "best/favorite" i just type my top 5. There are a lot of awesome games out there, i know what my favorite game this gen was and last gen. But as i mentioned i usually just type in my top or top 10
#50 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9036 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pikminmaniac"]

[QUOTE="beefalo"] +1 on Mass Effect 2 Also Metal Gear Solid 4 for me.The_Last_Ride

How is it bad to have story in the game. There is also enough gameplay and exploration in those games to last 50+ hours. How has it fallen?

you'd be very hard pressed to find 3 hours of good quality gameplay in Uncharted 2 and the story gets in the way and produces terrible gameplay situations like the museum heist, ice cave, and every single climbing segment. It's just so poorly designed through and through. It was clear gameplay was a complete afterthought for Naughty Dog with that game.