The future of Playstation - Sony starts official countdown to 2/20/13

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Source

Like clockwork, a Tweet, Facebook post and blog message went up -- posted by PlayStation -- mysteriously teasing the future of PlayStation. The date being teased? February 20th, 2013.

Here's the link to the video.

PS4 reveal incoming?

#2 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
  HYPE!
#3 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -

I knew this would happen. The fact is, Sony and Microsoft took forever to announce the new consoles. I mean no one realistically thought that Sony would wait till E3. I mean, how would they fit everything into a hour and a half conference. I always thought they Sony would show off the PS4 with some games before E3 with E3 being focused on games. That way, they have more room to breathe.

#4 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

I think the goal is to have the thing out by holiday season, so an E3 announcement would be a little sudden (isn't E3 in July or something?). I'm sure they want to let people know early in the year so they can't start setting aside some money for the thing. I know I'll be setting aside an extra $500 for the end of the year :)

#5 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8203 posts) -
I just got my WiiU, I am excited for a new Playstation. I might just sale/trade in my xbox 360 stuff for it because I dont use it anyways. Its to hard to keep up with 3 systems + 2 handhelds and I know I love Nintendo games so I am not dropping them.
#6 Posted by Sokol4ever (6304 posts) -

Look forward to the February 20th, I'm more then ready for PS4. If in fact that is the big news.

I got Wii U last week together with 3DS which will keep me entertained. 

#7 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
2/20/13 - The date Sony announces they're bringing back the Marcus advertising campaign.
#8 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -
I just got my WiiU, I am excited for a new Playstation. I might just sale/trade in my xbox 360 stuff for it because I dont use it anyways. Its to hard to keep up with 3 systems + 2 handhelds and I know I love Nintendo games so I am not dropping them.AutoPilotOn
Agreed. I always own a Nintendo console and a Sony console. I owned an Xbox but I traded that in. Will be trading in my PS3 for the obvious deal Gamestop will be giving for the PS4.
#9 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

[QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I just got my WiiU, I am excited for a new Playstation. I might just sale/trade in my xbox 360 stuff for it because I dont use it anyways. Its to hard to keep up with 3 systems + 2 handhelds and I know I love Nintendo games so I am not dropping them.Alx1231
Agreed. I always own a Nintendo console and a Sony console. I owned an Xbox but I traded that in. Will be trading in my PS3 for the obvious deal Gamestop will be giving for the PS4.

Even if there is no backwards compatability in the PS4?

#10 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -

[QUOTE="Alx1231"][QUOTE="AutoPilotOn"]I just got my WiiU, I am excited for a new Playstation. I might just sale/trade in my xbox 360 stuff for it because I dont use it anyways. Its to hard to keep up with 3 systems + 2 handhelds and I know I love Nintendo games so I am not dropping them.Vari3ty

Even if there is no backwards compatability in the PS4?

That's my only worry. But no matter what, I can't justify owning both. I'm still thinking about it though. Once things are set in stone, I'll seriously think about it.
#11 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

Is next gen going to be as bad as this gen? So sick of casual pewpew games. I want PS and PS2 styled games back. Not happy with modern gaming at all. Set piece gimmicks, QTEs, linearity, games trying to be movies, etc.

Is next gen Playstation going to be as casual as this gen? Will games continue on with the current trend and get worse and worse? Not happy with current gen gaming since quality has deteriorated. JRPGs need to make a full comeback, especially turn based ones.

#12 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -

Source

Like clockwork, a Tweet, Facebook post and blog message went up -- posted by PlayStation -- mysteriously teasing the future of PlayStation. The date being teased? February 20th, 2013.

Vari3ty

Here's the link to the video.

PS4 reveal incoming?

Techradar I think wrote on their PS4 section that when the PS4 does come out it will already be behind the PC graphically. Which is a no brainer if you think about it. Why people cry about consoles being behind PCs I will never know.
#13 Posted by lilnazar (1614 posts) -

I don't think it's PS4. Highly doubt it.

#14 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

lilnazar

It is the PS4. An article I read had time of this particular and every time it was new hardware. Vita, PS3 and PS2 going back to 1999

So all you that are happy with outdated hardware keep gaming while the rest of move on later this year. Just hope there is some sort of backwards comparability because I will be selling PS3...

#15 Posted by KIERON93 (39 posts) -
Do you think the PS4 will let you carry accounts over from ps3 so that you still have your friends on and etc?
#16 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Do you think the PS4 will let you carry accounts over from ps3 so that you still have your friends on and etc?KIERON93

I would be surprised if they didn't.

#17 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Is next gen going to be as bad as this gen? So sick of casual pewpew games. I want PS and PS2 styled games back. Not happy with modern gaming at all. Set piece gimmicks, QTEs, linearity, games trying to be movies, etc.

Is next gen Playstation going to be as casual as this gen? Will games continue on with the current trend and get worse and worse? Not happy with current gen gaming since quality has deteriorated. JRPGs need to make a full comeback, especially turn based ones.

soundcellx

Haha you should give up gaming and always seem bitter. None of the things you want are going to happen. Or maybe try PC gaming. It has lot of the niche stuff you might like except JRPGs...that is dying genre for consoles.

#18 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25584 posts) -

[QUOTE="lilnazar"]

StrongBlackVine

It is the PS4. An article I read had time of this particular and every time it was new hardware. Vita, PS3 and PS2 going back to 1999

So all you that are happy with outdated hardware keep gaming while the rest of move on later this year. Just hope there is some sort of backwards comparability because I will be selling PS3...

You're right, it's definitely the PS4. PlayStation meetings have only ever been held to debut new PS hardware.
#19 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

It's the PS4 for sure. Unless you've had your head in the sand for the past month, you've heard tons of rumors and inside info coming out that the PS4 and new XBOX will be here for next holiday season.

#20 Posted by CommanderShiro (21746 posts) -

I really hope there isn't a huge focus on motion controls. I do not care for it at all. 

#21 Posted by Tigerman950 (2416 posts) -

Definitely excited for 2/20 even though I probably won't buy the console until at least a couple years after it's released. I don't even want to think about what the starting price will be. 

#22 Posted by KBFloYd (13122 posts) -

i think this gen will be a low selling gen for all 3 companies...

tablets, phones,super power PC's, steambox, the death of the motion control fad for casuals... i think next gen looks ver bleek saleswise..

call of duty will sell the ps4 and 720 but the wiiU will have to rely on mario.

#23 Posted by DaRq_MiNoS (558 posts) -

Definitely excited for 2/20 even though I probably won't buy the console until at least a couple years after it's released. I don't even want to think about what the starting price will be. 

Tigerman950
One rumor has it that the PS4 will start at $350, which isn't bad at all.
#24 Posted by soundcellx (976 posts) -

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

StrongBlackVine

Haha you should give up gaming and always seem bitter. None of the things you want are going to happen. Or maybe try PC gaming. It has lot of the niche stuff you might like except JRPGs...that is dying genre for consoles.

Since you laughed and are happy with current gen video games, that makes you a troll. 

Why wouldn't the things I want, not happen? So, video games will continue to degrade in quality, and there is no chance of great video games making a comeback, is what you're saying?

over time shouldn't things get better, and not worse? I mean, hell, look at your avatar and how they are destroying Lara Croft's character, and destroying Tomb Raider since the new one doesn't have anything remotely resembling the classic TR.

#25 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="soundcellx"]

soundcellx

Since you laughed and are happy with current gen video games, that makes you a troll.

Why wouldn't the things I want, not happen? So, video games will continue to degrade in quality, and there is no chance of great video games making a comeback, is what you're saying?

over time shouldn't things get better, and not worse? I mean, hell, look at your avatar and how they are destroying Lara Croft's character, and destroying Tomb Raider since the new one doesn't have anything remotely resembling the classic TR.

I am excited about the new Tomb Raider and I only laughed because I have never seen a positive comment from. You seem unhappy with gaming and no I don't think the changes you want will happen. I was being helpful in suggesting PC gaming as it has much more diverse library than you will find on any console.

#26 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
over time shouldn't things get better, and not worse?soundcellx
Not necessarily. This gen is a perfect example of how horribly wrong things can go in a few years. Microtransactions, DLC, online passes, content locked on the disc, surcharges for used games because developers have this bug up their ass and think they they should continue to make money off a product that they already made money off of, motion control bullsh*t, etc.
#27 Posted by gamenerd15 (4437 posts) -

We do not know a whole about what Sony's studios are working on.  Developers like Sucker Punch, Evolution, Santa Monica's other teams, Naughty Dog's other team, Guerrila's other teams, Media Molecule's main team have not put out a game in two years.  Some have done a small project, but nothing big.  The PS4 launch could be awesome if we could get a Sucker Punch game, and a Guerrila game at launch.  Hopefully Sony has third parties working on the system, so if a lot of first party software does come out at launch, then the company will not have a dry spell similar to the PS Vita.  I could also see the second party Clap Hanz coming out with something as well. 

#28 Posted by Jak-25 (2490 posts) -

I think it's the PS4. I mean what else could it be? It says it's about the "future of PlayStation". There are much more rumors about the PS4 than ever before.  I really want the PS4 to be backwards compatible since the PS3's are not really built to last for a long time. Sure I plan on keeping my PS3 slim but I know it will eventually die. Also, Jak 4 would be nice!