Tested: PlayStation 4 Hard Drive vs. SSD vs. Hybrid Drive

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by dipdish (784 posts) -

If you're pondering about whether to swap hard drives or not, and which one to go with, this one might help.

#2 Edited by Tubatica (161 posts) -

I'm considering getting a hybrid drive, but what he says at 8:05 makes me think a normal hard drive is fine. Sounds like a hybrid is best for doing things a second time and beyond, like if you frequently load multiplayer maps, it will get faster after the first time it loads. I'm just wondering why that would matter when playing multiplayer games. It's not like the match will start any faster and your guy gets to run around the map for a bit before everyone else starts, so I don't see any benefit at all to that. The faster boot time and everything else being a little snappier would be great, but I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade.

#3 Posted by dipdish (784 posts) -

@Tubatica said:

I'm considering getting a hybrid drive, but what he says at 8:05 makes me think a normal hard drive is fine. Sounds like a hybrid is best for doing things a second time and beyond, like if you frequently load multiplayer maps, it will get faster after the first time it loads. I'm just wondering why that would matter when playing multiplayer games. It's not like the match will start any faster and your guy gets to run around the map for a bit before everyone else starts, so I don't see any benefit at all to that. The faster boot time and everything else being a little snappier would be great, but I'm not sure it's worth the upgrade.

Yes, a normal hard drive with a bigger capacity will be fine. Yet, SSD clearly makes PS4 run faster, as it's shown in the video. However, it's rare and insanely expensive in my country, so I would never purchase one. I might think about getting a hybrid drive in the future.

#4 Posted by andyrulesliver (437 posts) -

Interesting video. I love the SSD but its so expensive! Think I'll wait it out. I don't have many games that I play and generally delete installs unless I really want to keep a game. Good post

#5 Posted by SoNin360 (4977 posts) -

Yeah, the benefits don't seem that great. I'm just going to make do with the default 500GB hard drive for as long as I can. I'm not even sure I'd spend the little extra for a hybrid if it's just going to shave a few seconds off of loading stuff here and there.