Tales of Xillia any good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lilnazar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 lilnazar
Member since 2011 • 1923 Posts

So I've stumbled across Tales of Xillia for a while. I've heard some positive things about this game, but is it really that good? I've checked some gameplay on YT and to be honest, the gameplay mechanic, looked boring and uninteresting. I was expecting turn based system, but that's a no problem for me. I've also heard that it lacks some exploration, the world in the game is big but there's nothing interesting in it. And I've heard that the story might be complex. 

Is it any good? And is it worth the purchase? 

Off topic, but right now I'm leaning towards Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention for the PS Vita. If we compare it to Tales of Xillia, which one would you recommend? 

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#2 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

If you like rpg's then buy Tales of Xillia

/thread.

EnoshimaJunko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 EnoshimaJunko
Member since 2013 • 322 Posts

Xillia's pretty good. Is it the best thing ever? No. Is it the best of the Tales series? Not quite. But I think you'll enjoy it anyway. The story's not that complex; people just get confused by the the whole Jude side/Millia side thing. Both sides follow the same story. It's just that sometimes the scenes are different depending on who you picked, but it never prevents you from understanding the overall story. And Tales games have never been turned-based, btw. 

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

Xillia's pretty good. Is it the best thing ever? No. Is it the best of the Tales series? Not quite. But I think you'll enjoy it anyway. The story's not that complex; people just get confused by the the whole Jude side/Millia side thing. Both sides follow the same story. It's just that sometimes the scenes are different depending on who you picked, but it never prevents you from understanding the overall story. And Tales games have never been turned-based, btw. 

EnoshimaJunko
pretty much this, and IMO millas voice actor is bad , idk if after 20+hours is growin on me but iv learned to tolerate it. As much as it pains me becuase i love the tales series i wouldnt drop 60$ on it again
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Tales of Xillia is the better choice because its not a grindfest like Disgaea always is.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#7 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Combat's fun (and quick). Story's kind of meh, as are the characters. In other words, it's your typical Tales game.
xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

One thing I gotta state first is that the Tales series never is turn based, if your looking for something like that, learn more towards Final Fantasy. Just hada throw that out there. Alright as for Tales of Xillia, I found it quite enjoyable. It's not the best Tales game but it's a major step up from Graces f imo. I thought the gameplay was fun and the world was good. Pretty much if you're looking for a solid jrpg to get your hands on, than this will satisfy your craving.

CleanB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CleanB
Member since 2013 • 289 Posts

Xillia is a great Tales game. If you like the Disgaea series, skip 3 and go straight to Disgaea 4.

Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I played it at a friend's house and I thought it was a decent game.
yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

It's quite a good game. If you like RPGs or the Tales of series, then you'll definitely like Xillia. Good battle system and fun leveling up system.

RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#13 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

In my opinion, if you're into JRPGs, you can never go wrong with a Tales game. But if you looked before-hand, and the combat didn't really look appealing to you perhaps you should pass. I mean, most of the time you will be fighting after all lol :P. I'd say give it a shot though :)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

One thing I gotta state first is that the Tales series never is turn based, if your looking for something like that, learn more towards Final Fantasy. Just hada throw that out there. Alright as for Tales of Xillia, I found it quite enjoyable. It's not the best Tales game but it's a major step up from Graces f imo. I thought the gameplay was fun and the world was good. Pretty much if you're looking for a solid jrpg to get your hands on, than this will satisfy your craving.

xGamePlayerx19
I'd have to say that Xillia is probably my favourite Tales game that isn't Vesperia. But unlike most people I really did not care for Symphonia or Abyss.
xGamePlayerx19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 xGamePlayerx19
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts

[QUOTE="xGamePlayerx19"]

DJ_Lae

I'd have to say that Xillia is probably my favourite Tales game that isn't Vesperia. But unlike most people I really did not care for Symphonia or Abyss.

For me it is up there in the top of Tales. Abyss is my overall favorite though, it was just too great. Xillia I'd say probably comes next in line or somewhere tied with Vesperia. Symphonia was good as well but didn't strike me as great as the others have.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

While Tales Of Xillia is a great game and I'd recommend it to any JRPG fan, it has a few pretty big flaws, which include major pacing issues (Too much happens in the third chapter), alot of supporting characters being introduced too late in the game and therefore are left feeling under-developed, and also that the final chapter is pretty underwhelming.

That said, the battle and levelling systems are amongst the best in the series, the game will keep you entertained until it's climax and its also pretty cool that you can experience the story as 2 different characters.

I'd say its a good addition to the series, from the Tales games I've played I'd rank it slightly above Graces F and Eternia, slighly below Vesperia and way below Symphonia in terms of entertainment value.

delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 delectabledoz
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts
really wanna try this- looks cool with anime style too.. is it defeating monsters and building up hp that kind of thing? as for turn based, do you mean you get to choose the moves you use? in ff 1 and 2 i get to do that
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i enjoyed tales of xilia great game for me go for it
delectabledoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 delectabledoz
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts
sounds good will do.. what does turn based mean?
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#20 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts
sounds good will do.. what does turn based mean?delectabledoz
Like chess where you get a turn then the enemy does and the game stops between turns. Tales are action RPGs that have battles more like an action game with everything happening at once kind of like god of war but with RPG moves, magic and items etc.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#21 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i am also on the fence about this game, heard great things about it though

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Best JRPG of the year.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 The_Last_Ride

@Bigboi500 said:

Best JRPG of the year.

better than Ni No Kuni?

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@The_Last_Ride:

wouldnt be hard.... Ni No Kuni was a drag.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Best JRPG of the year.

better than Ni No Kuni?

Yes, and I plat'd Ni No Kuni. Both are great though.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Last_Ride

@Bigboi500 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Bigboi500 said:

Best JRPG of the year.

better than Ni No Kuni?

Yes, and I plat'd Ni No Kuni. Both are great though.

hmm... Got to try this out then when i have time