Strange unexpected shut down and blinking red light.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Phanssen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Phanssen
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Ok so I was using the intrnet browser on my ps3 when all of a suddrn it shut down as if forced off. only thing happening is the red light keeps blinking and my controller has no effect on the ps3. I hold the power button and reboot it. Now i return to the browser and aprox 30 seconds the same thing happens. The red light will not stop blinking at all. Any help?
v_rfranco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 v_rfranco
Member since 2004 • 282 Posts
it could b that ur ps3 overheated, but i cant remmeber if its that red light or the yellow, i think yellow is for HDD... sry dude
wwedx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 wwedx
Member since 2006 • 2014 Posts
if u get a red blinking light it got overheated
Shake_N_Bake4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Shake_N_Bake4
Member since 2007 • 674 Posts

i got the Red Blinking Light

But people here call it the YLOD, but sony calls it the red blinking light

your PS3 is most likely dead

same thing happened to me (Turned off unexpectedly, tried again, turn off only after a few seconds) had to call up Sony turns out the thing is dead and i need to get a new one

Dan_Lero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Dan_Lero
Member since 2006 • 7487 Posts

Shake_N_Bake4

No, a YLOD is a yellow light, not red.

But it could have overheated.

Shake_N_Bake4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shake_N_Bake4
Member since 2007 • 674 Posts
[QUOTE="Shake_N_Bake4"]

Dan_Lero

No, a YLOD is a yellow light, not red.

But it could have overheated.

When the "YLOD" occurs:

PS3 on standby

Turn it on

Light turns green

flashes yellow briefly

then starts blinking red

in the Sony handbook there is not Yellow Light Problem

Just Red Blinking Light

veggie999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 veggie999
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hey all I just got this problem, ITS NOT FAIR! I just got my PS3 back after my first being 1 day out of garentee. I plaayed Killzone 2 for only about 20 mins, HOW COULD IT HAVE OVER-HEATED?!?! :( :( sooooo unfair!
MURDA_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MURDA_B
Member since 2008 • 2879 Posts

yeah the red light means the ps3 is overheating i dont know what sony do for overheating they might tell you to let the ps3 sit for awhile

peiperry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 peiperry
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Am having the same problem, whlist playing game and suddenly shut down and with two 'beep beep' sound and blinking red light.

i sit it for a while to turn it on again, sometimes work.. sometimes won't, but now my PS3 won't turn on anymore.. it's only 3 month form the 1st time i bought the console and i only play it for a while.

pleaseee help anyone know whats the problem is? coz i bring it to the retailer where i bought it and it already 3 weeks and still cannot fix the console.

varuchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 varuchi
Member since 2008 • 68 Posts

Am having the same problem, whlist playing game and suddenly shut down and with two 'beep beep' sound and blinking red light.

i sit it for a while to turn it on again, sometimes work.. sometimes won't, but now my PS3 won't turn on anymore.. it's only 3 month form the 1st time i bought the console and i only play it for a while.

pleaseee help anyone know whats the problem is? coz i bring it to the retailer where i bought it and it already 3 weeks and still cannot fix the console.

peiperry
I think its a manufacturing defect.. the two blip sounds are when you 'soft' reset the system( usually required when switching from HDTV to SDTV or vice versa. If your PS3 is doing it too often you can try changing the cables. If the problem stays then it's tech fault. get a replacement if possible. YLOD is when the blue ray lens assembly develops a fault and stop reading discs. But PSN games saved on the HDD work.
jakehouston88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 jakehouston88
Member since 2009 • 2848 Posts

Sadly your PS3 is DEAD..:cry:

iRecoil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 iRecoil
Member since 2009 • 198 Posts

If it shows you a yellow light then starts to blink red it's broken. If it only blinks red it's overheating and you should leave it to cool down.

TJSAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 TJSAGE
Member since 2006 • 3540 Posts

Never Understood YELLOW light of Death??

The yellow light flashes for about a second and is hard to see, the blinking red light means death and it very obvious to see and hear

Mine died on me after 2 years and so far no probs with my new 1.

It is a huge hassal, but Sony is decent in getting you a new one asap, most companies after a warranty is up with say *(%@$&( off

Bow-T_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bow-T_88
Member since 2007 • 1544 Posts

Hey all I just got this problem, ITS NOT FAIR! I just got my PS3 back after my first being 1 day out of garentee. I plaayed Killzone 2 for only about 20 mins, HOW COULD IT HAVE OVER-HEATED?!?! :( :( sooooo unfair!veggie999
lol!!! gonna come like the press at you now..How do you feel? Post it on my thread name YLOD VICTIMS, HOW DID YOU FEEL. i was hoping no one posted on this thread yet, so i break the news to him and say, PRESS POWER AGAIN AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENDS . it'll stop. when he sees green, YAY, then in 1 second, HELLL NOOO, yellow light.. Low failure rate ? HELLL NAH. some jimmy neutron posted on my thread about ylod and did the math on the failure rate. over 100 were broken, there's 300,000 people in my country ( Belize), n he said STILL ITS UNDER 2 PERCENT. what the F