Still no significant updates to PS4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NeverMore0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NeverMore0
Member since 2003 • 1278 Posts

How long has it been? It seems like Microsoft is doing all these different things to try to sell consoles, while Sony is just sitting around on their asses. They don't seem to have much desire to maintain their lead.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

What do you propose they do? They seem to be focusing on games and that's fine with me.

polishkid99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#3 polishkid99
Member since 2007 • 4787 Posts

Uhm, I dont really see anything wrong with it. They're not changing because they're selling well.

While the xone is selling great as well, they had a terrible launch. Microsoft has been trying to change the image and regain trust since that day. Their console was broken, now they have pretty much fixed it. They had to make some cuts and introduce new things in order to gain more appeal from the consumers.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

It had a pretty darn big update (with a share of initial bugs because it was so darn big). Sony's always been pokey with updates, but mine works absolutely fine - I have yet to sit there thinking "you know what my PS4 needs? An update". Sure, it could always have more features but... eh. It plays games and does that well.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@NeverMore0 said:

How long has it been? It seems like Microsoft is doing all these different things to try to sell consoles, while Sony is just sitting around on their asses. They don't seem to have much desire to maintain their lead.

So updates sell consoles?

You're going to have to expand on what you're trying to say, what do you mean by updates?

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

DLNA & MP3 support you lazy a-holes. Get to work on that, sony!

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

WHAT ?!?!?!

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's had updates...but I don't care about updates. PS4's recent 'Share Play' being revolutionary and new being most recent.

I didn't care last gen or this gen updates. Bring me games!

The Xbone UI for instance is more marketing friendly than user friendly, so the software company making updates to fix matters makes sense since there is work to be done. While the PS4 UI is basic in that sense, it's fast and speedy as all hell, just they way I like it.

I do understand that the PS3 is a better media playback than both the PS4 and Xbone, but I have confidence these new machines will catch up one day. In the meantime, I just use my PS3 as the media hub and fire my Xbone and PS4 up for current gen games.

At the end of the day, who cares which company is update king? Who cared last gen? No one...now all of the sudden it's a debate point? It's not. This is a new argument from at least a dozen users that seem to be creating awards and strange standards to create winners in categories for their fave machines. But these "accolades" really don't amount to squat.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Let's get over how Updates aren't major and it's all about the games but he does have a point there are so many things Sony promised in the beginning, and still haven't been put on, yes we have had some major updates for things, but no matter whether MS are playing catch up, I have to give them credit for there updates and new things there putting onto there system. and sony have a big update every few months while MS are always making deals to get things onto there system. but they maybe why Sony are lagging behind, is due to the exclusive deals MS gives the companies. I'd like more on there I'd also like sony to do the one thing they haven't and why god they haven't is beyond me, but give me a decent web browser i don't use it very much, but i feel it's missing a trick, we have a god dam track pad on the controller why aren't they even using it for web browsing it seems the most logical thing and reason to even have a track pad on a controller, and yet the track pad is pretty much of a waste of space in my eyes

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

It's had quite a few updates since launch. Most haven't been anything special. Sadly the last one caused my PS4 to keep acting like it wasn't shut down properly. Comes up with an page to enter the error reason, even though it is shut down properly. Hopefully it will work itself out in the next update. Still waiting for the ability to watch MP4s from a USB drive though.

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

I'd really like a better interface.

Galactica666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Galactica666
Member since 2015 • 30 Posts

No DLNA, no MP3 and most importantly, NO SUSPEND/RESUME feature that was hyped about when the console was announced 2 years ago. How about sorting out the lags that still plague PSN? How about updating the infrastructure so that there are lesser downtimes? How about that?

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#13 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@NeverMore0 said:

As a paying comsumer, you have every right to complain, "BUT" me personally, I'd rather them focus on the quality of games and the PSN! Eventually they will get to the extra features, but for now it's good to know that sony got their priorities straight.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 juboner
Member since 2007 • 1183 Posts

Focusing on the quality of games is a given, they have always done that. I think the OP is talking about how Microsoft has made progress with dev. software and getting more out of the X1 in terms of availiable power.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy

@juboner said:

Focusing on the quality of games is a given, they have always done that. I think the OP is talking about how Microsoft has made progress with dev. software and getting more out of the X1 in terms of availiable power.

They released a mess, they should fix it.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 juboner

@SolidTy: I dont think it was a mess.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SolidTy

@juboner: I did and I own a launch unit...and so did many critics in the tech and game industry including here at Gamespot.com (GS article about the one year anniversary of the Xbone). It's good news they are fixing things on the Xbone after all the 180 decision reversals, although the UI is still problematic and the Xbone install speeds are way, WAY too slow still.

Gamespot.com covered the Xbone OS/UI as well in the video:

Lucy James found the Xbone UI difficult to navigate the UI with a controller and how you are forced to use Kinect shortcuts (if you have a Kinect model). She felt the interface was actively out to get her.

Kevin VanOrd (owns the Xbone) called the Xbone UI " a stupid mess". "It's More designed to advertise" to users than let him do the things he wants.

Seb Ford said the Xbone UI was Clumsy, confusing, snap isn't particularly intuitive...even changing settings is really frustrating.

Rob Crossley said the Xbone "Operating system and UI is so bad" and "atrocious" that he found M$'s team choices Genuinely shocking and fascinating. He can't believe how many bad decisions on the UI were allowed to be in the Xbone.

Cam Robinson said the Xbone UI needs to be completely redone for him to consider buying an Xbone instead of using the Xbone at the office.

Essentially this is a disguised troll thread designed to promote and crown one of the new consoles as some sort of "update prince". Forget games, forget sales...It's pretty sad to overlook amazing innovations like "Share/Play" and even streaming games like "PSNow" (I'm not a PSNow fan, but it's an update none-the-less) just to make some sort of update comparison remark, especially when compared to another machine that has been playing catch up and making tech reversals for their product since day one.

Tech reversals had to happen like dropping Kinect to free up the CPU, but now updates are something to be proud of when in fact these fixes should have been there day one. In the end, all the consoles are going to improve over time and one company is just marketing and putting out PR to HYPE the hell out of their fans desperate for magic upgrades to hardware. The updates were coming anyways, but the free PR is thrown out and depressingly some fanbots lap it up and spew it out on forums as if it's actually something to brag about.

One thing we do agree on is the intent of this thread. To promote another console in the Playstation forums which isn't allowed. This isn't SW.

Good day.

juboner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 juboner

So how much did the UI change? I dont have one so i cant say much but it was probably just getting used to it I would think.