Stand by mode vs Power off

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

What do you guys do with your PS3? Leave it on stand by mode or switch the power off from the back?

I am asking this because I just got my PS3, and I still cannot decide if I should leave it on stand by mode or turn the power off from the back.

If I leave it on stand by mode it is at risk of being turned on again seeing as the button is touch sensitive (A bug could fly on it and accidently turn it on for example) and also at risk of a power surge which would ruin the system. (I do have a power surge protector, but it is a very cheap $5 and I do not really trust it)

But turning the power off from the back I hear, can cause data to be deleted, eventually ruin the system because of constant turn off's and other horrible things.

So, which one do you guys use? Stand by mode or power off?

#2 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

Looking for lots of opinions here, this is suprisingly quite a hard choice for me.

Seeing as I am a former 360 owner, it makes me take extra care of my PS3 now lol.

#3 Posted by deon99 (623 posts) -
stanby mode if you keep turning it off it might as they say malfunction.
#4 Posted by Azurathe (498 posts) -
I suffer from OCD, and one of my things is i cant leave ANYTHING plugged into a wall socket if im alone and i leave the house. If im just going to bed or something i leave it in stand by mode.
#5 Posted by truenextgen (3911 posts) -
I used to be a power off all the way guy "LOL like its some kind of manly thing??." Now at night I shut it down and sleep. So its stand by mode then. Cool to shut it off and not have to move.
#6 Posted by ChiefRocka08 (32 posts) -

definitely standby mode. Treat your PS3 as you would a computer. Standby mode puts less stress on the system and usually extends it's lifetime, since it does not have to constantly reboot and turn off.

I also have a PS2, which i have kept on standby mode since 2001:D Still runs awesome. (although the PS2 is pretty much invincible)

#7 Posted by truenextgen (3911 posts) -

I suffer from OCD, and one of my things is i cant leave ANYTHING plugged into a wall socket if im alone and i leave the house. If im just going to bed or something i leave it in stand by mode.Azurathe

My friend in SC had that. But I never noticed it that much. Except a few times I would notice like when we would be out late, and get back. And he would want to clean his place at like 3am. And it was already not that bad. But I just never looked to much into it, he's cool as is. Only known him a few years. Only lived in certain parts of SC "after South Florida" a few years. He was a Nintendo freak. And he hated sony and Micro. So im sure he is Wiing it up right now. He never seemed to mind my thing with Sony thow. I think he hated Micro more. Altough his roommate had a Box, and we used to give into Falo late night lol.

#8 Posted by DealRogers (4583 posts) -

What do you guys do with your PS3? Leave it on stand by mode or switch the power off from the back?

I am asking this because I just got my PS3, and I still cannot decide if I should leave it on stand by mode or turn the power off from the back.

If I leave it on stand by mode it is at risk of being turned on again seeing as the button is touch sensitive (A bug could fly on it and accidently turn it on for example) and also at risk of a power surge which would ruin the system. (I do have a power surge protector, but it is a very cheap $5 and I do not really trust it)

But turning the power off from the back I hear, can cause data to be deleted, eventually ruin the system because of constant turn off's and other horrible things.

So, which one do you guys use? Stand by mode or power off?

Speedy454545

i want to say something about the touch sensitive button, yeah if you slightly touch it with your finger it will turn on but strangely, when im cleaning it of dust i pass a piece of cloth over it with the pressure of my hand and it doesnt turn on

so i think a bug neither lol

#9 Posted by Bumfinator (132 posts) -
ya i think standby mode is the best solution, just hope you dont get a power surge.
#10 Posted by ianuilliam (4955 posts) -
Am I the only person who sees being able to turn my ps3 on from my couch, via the controller, to be a huge advantage? Turning the switch off in back completely negates that. As for surges, turning it off still won't preotect it, so if you want to worry about that, then you need to start unplugging all your electrical devices when they are not in use. That, or just not worry so much about unlikely freak occurences.
#11 Posted by CJL182 (9233 posts) -
Stand-by is the way to go.
#12 Posted by sniper_99 (2820 posts) -
I turn the power off from the back
#13 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

I turn the power off from the backsniper_99

Do you turn it off from the back like every single day or everytime you play?

#14 Posted by Liquid-Prince (2277 posts) -
The button is heat sensitive, so it won't turn on when a bug sits on it...

If you want proof, run it with a cloth or your shirt. It shouldn't turn on.
#15 Posted by KamuiFei (4258 posts) -
Keep it on stand-by. Turning it on and off alot could mess up the HDD from what I heard. And because PS3 is like a computer, keeping it on stand-by puts less stress on it.
#16 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -
I think I might leave the console in stand by whenever I am home. But when I go out somewhere I will turn the power off to it.
#17 Posted by Udsen (3389 posts) -
I leave it on stand-by.
#18 Posted by jfrdricks63 (68 posts) -
I leave mine on standby because I'm just too lazy to reach around and turn it on from the back. Oh that sounded bad.... :oops:
#19 Posted by BeyondPain (762 posts) -

I leave mine on standby because I'm just too lazy to reach around and turn it on from the back. Oh that sounded bad.... :oops:jfrdricks63

Lol, it sounded fine until YOU made it dirty :P still funny though.. :D

#20 Posted by canesoulja (25 posts) -
stand by mode because i have heard that if you keep turning the switch on and off it may mess it up overtime.
#21 Posted by madsmokey (258 posts) -
i leave my ps3 on almost 24/7 and it's still kicking strong ^^ after you leave it on for a while it goes to a somewhat hybernating state. Just keep your ps3 well ventilated and you should be fine.
#22 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -
Well the Sony guy said turning the power off at the back everytime will not harm it, so I guess I will just take his advice lol.
#23 Posted by Gebrechlichkeit (187 posts) -
Leave it on stand by, its healthier for your system. If you are constantly powering on and down the ps3 from the back then all your components are re-powering and powering off and that can damage them.
#24 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

But what about the risks of standby mode? Power surges and accidental turn ons etc.

Wait a sec. Would a power surge risk killing the PS3 while in stand by mode? Or is stand by mode pretty much means the console is turned off and cannot risk a power surge?

#25 Posted by bdhoff (4104 posts) -
I leave mine on standby so that I can get to it from my PSP whenever I want to. I really like the remote play feature.
#26 Posted by Itachi1989 (90 posts) -
i always leave mine on stand by
#27 Posted by Gymbo-59 (180 posts) -

Well the Sony guy said turning the power off at the back everytime will not harm it, so I guess I will just take his advice lol. Speedy454545

He's trying to sell more PS3's. LOL :)

#28 Posted by swamplord666 (1873 posts) -
ok this is really worrying me now... Usually i turn it off from the back because i think it's better than putting it on standby. Is there any HARD evidence that leaving it on standby is better for your system?
#29 Posted by jfrdricks63 (68 posts) -
Its basically a computer- fine to leave it in standby unless you leave for an extended period of time.
#30 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

Well I always used to turn the power off at the back on my PS2, I did this for 4 years and it still works fine.

But then again, PS2 is much different from the PS3.......

#31 Posted by StanAce (206 posts) -

The button is heat sensitive, so it won't turn on when a bug sits on it...

Liquid-Prince

False. It is NEITHER heat-sensitive or pressure-sensitive. The correct answer is... Capacitance-sensitive.

While running a dry cloth will not cause the PS3 to turn on, a wet cloth will. Why? Because a dry cloth acts as an insulator and thus prevents the flow of electrons to/from your appendage and PS3. A wet cloth on the other hand is conductive because of the water, and as such, will complete a pathway between the appendage and the PS3. Of course, how the mechanism really works is more complicated than just completing a circuit.

Here's a simple primer: http://science.howstuffworks.com/question42.htm

Btw, did you know a banana works too?:P

#32 Posted by iqballo (222 posts) -
i dont turn it off from the back but i unplug it form the wall outlet after every use....and thats wat i used to do with my ps2 ,ps1 and they still work !!!!!!!!!!!
#33 Posted by stuartcee (12846 posts) -
I leave mine on standby unless I am going away for a few days then I power everything in the house off.
#34 Posted by rogerjak (14785 posts) -
Stand-by is the way to go.CJL182
#35 Posted by clsnbrdr616 (572 posts) -

[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]The button is heat sensitive, so it won't turn on when a bug sits on it...

StanAce

False. It is NEITHER heat-sensitive or pressure-sensitive. The correct answer is... Capacitance-sensitive.

While running a dry cloth will not cause the PS3 to turn on, a wet cloth will. Why? Because a dry cloth acts as an insulator and thus prevents the flow of electrons to/from your appendage and PS3. A wet cloth on the other hand is conductive because of the water, and as such, will complete a pathway between the appendage and the PS3. Of course, how the mechanism really works is more complicated than just completing a circuit.

^^dang you beat me to explaining the button^^ lol

#36 Posted by Mongo-Boss (2108 posts) -
Can the PS3 overheat while in stand-by?
#37 Posted by shimamaster (408 posts) -
i dont think it matters anyway
#38 Posted by Liquid-Prince (2277 posts) -

[QUOTE="Liquid-Prince"]The button is heat sensitive, so it won't turn on when a bug sits on it...

StanAce

For the purpose of explaining it to the OT, saying it was heat sensitive was the easiest way for him to understand. I should have said touch sensitive, but either way it's not a big difference.
#39 Posted by LFCspiderpig (71 posts) -
Whoops I honestly thought that turning it off gives the Fans, components a rest. But i'm from the UK and i THINK that we have more stable electricity current and stuff.(bad grammar?) But i usually find it easier to turn it off by the back. besides think of the Polar bears (on a lesser note my generation) Standby sucks up an unreal amount energy.
#40 Posted by LFCspiderpig (71 posts) -
Whoops I honestly thought that turning it off gives the Fans, components a rest. But i'm from the UK and i THINK that we have more stable electricity current and stuff.(bad grammar?) But i usually find it easier to turn it off by the back. besides think of the Polar bears (on a lesser note my generation) Standby sucks up an unreal amount energy. I guess tho for future of my PS3 i'll have to use Standby
#41 Posted by btf504 (255 posts) -
Umm I had absolutely no idea about powering down frequently being bad for computers/PS3... I'm glad I read this, but I would also like to see at least something that can prove that.
#42 Posted by steizgr8 (559 posts) -

Umm I had absolutely no idea about powering down frequently being bad for computers/PS3... I'm glad I read this, but I would also like to see at least something that can prove that.btf504

Same here

#43 Posted by ianuilliam (4955 posts) -

Ok, I had to jump back into this, since the debate rages on, and I keep seeing the same things over again that are not exactly accurate.

1. There's no evidence turning it off and on at the back will shorten your ps3's life. At least not by any noticable amount. At least, not if you are shutting the system down first. Cutting it off at the back while the system is running and possibly accessing the hard drive or something like that can be bad.

2. For those who keep talking about surges.. shutting the power off at the back is no better than leaving it in standby. Any electronic device that is plugged in, whether it is on, off, or in standby, can be hit by a surge. Unless your wiring is really crappy, it'n not a common thing though. And as long as your electronics are plugged into surge protectors, they will not likely get hit by any kind of electrical surge big enough to damage them. Unless your house is directly struck by lightning. Anyway, power surges are no reason to turn your console off, unless you also unplug it.

3. Again, am I the only one who thinks the convenience of turning your system on and off without getting off the couch is a good feature?

#44 Posted by Joel_Pichardo (320 posts) -

But what if you cover your ps3 with a cloth or t-shirt every time you stop playing?

#45 Posted by Flame_Blade88 (39348 posts) -
I e-mailed Sony last night about this issue and a representative said that the PS3 was made to stay on, meaning keep it on stand by mode, but, he said, turning off your PS3 from the back switch while it is in stand by mode will do no harm to your PS3.
#46 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

I e-mailed Sony last night about this issue and a representative said that the PS3 was made to stay on, meaning keep it on stand by mode, but, he said, turning off your PS3 from the back switch while it is in stand by mode will do no harm to your PS3.Flame_Blade88

Thats exactly what I was told.

But wouldnt turning your PS3 off just from the back stop a power surge? Considering the console is fully turned off if it is switched from the back.

#47 Posted by Flame_Blade88 (39348 posts) -

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"]I e-mailed Sony last night about this issue and a representative said that the PS3 was made to stay on, meaning keep it on stand by mode, but, he said, turning off your PS3 from the back switch while it is in stand by mode will do no harm to your PS3.Speedy454545

But wouldnt turning your PS3 off just from the back stop a power surge? Considering the console is fully turned off if it is switched from the back.

But it's still plugged in. But I guess it depends. I got a really good surge protector. One time there was a power surge while I was playing and everything shut off except my tv and PS3 :lol: then about 10 seconds later they both shut off. Get a good surge protector. Then you should have no worries.

#48 Posted by ianuilliam (4955 posts) -

[QUOTE="Flame_Blade88"]I e-mailed Sony last night about this issue and a representative said that the PS3 was made to stay on, meaning keep it on stand by mode, but, he said, turning off your PS3 from the back switch while it is in stand by mode will do no harm to your PS3.Speedy454545

No, because there is still a wire for the electricity to travel up. Whether it is on or off makes no difference to a wild surge of electricity. All it needs is a path of conductor, which, incidently is what the power cord is. The power drain in standby is minimal. Turning it off (without unplugging it) will not protect from a surge), basically, there is no reason at all to turn it off rather than leave it in standby.

#49 Posted by Speedy454545 (1311 posts) -

I have a $10 surge protector lol, as long as it does its job I do not care the quality of it lol.

I guess everytime I could just turn the power off at the back and at the wall? Does turning the switch on at the wall all the time effect the PS3 in any way?

Damn Sony, why did you have to make stand by mode. They should of given us more options.

#50 Posted by clifftrapremove (825 posts) -
I totally forgot you could turn the PS3 off from that back. That being said, i have never turned my Ps3 off... maybe i should do that.