So new director for driveclub and soon a release date

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ewalthour (763 posts) -

I am concern this is a smoke screen by Sony. It's hard to believe the game is working out with all the bad news lately. Lets recap,first news someone in driveclub camp states game needs to go back to drawing board then director quits or fired. Now all of a sudden the game looks like it's at it's final stages all in a few weeks. This seems really odd to me.

#2 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

The director leaving had nothing to do with the game, the placeholder release date says July 27th here in Europe

#3 Edited by ewalthour (763 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: what is the purpose of a director if the person can leave a game before it's done and the game still comes out great? A lot of people who left Sony probably left knowing they would be fired if they stayed. Sony is cleaning house and don't want to pay the higher profile employees. They must feel theses guys are interchangeable parts. Lets see how drive club comes out as well uncharted without their series writer and director.

#4 Edited by bezza2011 (2548 posts) -

No more like the Director promised the game would be released for launch and never did, so he was put under pressure and he just couldn't deliver, plus he left in feb, this is old news which is just hitting the press now.

LINK

Nice read for you, sums everything up whats going on in Sony and I don't blame them, it is of course from an "insider" but it makes sense.

another small snippet of insider knowledge

LINK

Also on the Uncharted side, I mean Amy was a big mishap but I mean The Last Of Us for me was alot more better in story and creation than the Uncharted series, they wanted to take a more serious way maybe and Amy didn't want to, I don't know, and the other director was only the director of the 3rd game and part of the people who made uncharted 2 multiplayer so really not much of a great loss and he went for the money anyway

#5 Posted by ewalthour (763 posts) -

@bezza2011: thanks will chk it out..almost a month before going to europe

#6 Edited by ewalthour (763 posts) -

@bezza2011: bezz it was a good read. It's hard to believe big company spin on stuff. I would hope no one would make up a story that there son is sick to justify why leaving a company and it's not true. My beef is with Sony or the company for driveclub. They know this game is on everyone's radar to be scrutinized for not coming out on time during the release for ps4 just like watchdog is getting criticized for the recent trailer not looking as good as e3. I will admit that it doesn't look as good as e3 but I will get it if the review scores are high.

Now back to driveclub story. To diffuse everyone anxiety about the director leaving during the making of a flag ship game. Sony ccould have just stated he left in February that he had family reason to leave not related to the delay of the game nor his performance of directing the game. It looked suspicious that he left and the just announced it now knowing this game is going threw turmoil. They say the game will have a release date soon when just a week ago the game was suppose to go back to the drawing board.

I think watchdog also set themselves up for scrutiny by even giving us another trailer. Why not give us next gen demos to prove how great the game loooks and plays. I am tired of these stupid free games ps4 get while ps3 get arkham city origin. I didn't play arkham origin knowing it didn't come from rocksteady and reviews didn't blow me away either.

Just my mouthful. Sony no more crappy indie game for psn+ for ps4. Give us demos on AAA GAMES COMING OUT SOON. Of course Sony will say it's up to the companies to put out their own demos or the companies will say it's costly.

#7 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

@ewalthour: But he left for other reasons than the game

#8 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

This proves it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106121033&postcount=1393

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.

Col_Rodgers

Driveclub's director stepped down for personal reasons.

#9 Edited by bezza2011 (2548 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

This proves it

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106121033&postcount=1393

Hello, all.

This is my first post on NeoGAF, and whilst I'm not generally one to deal in internet speculation, I have to put the record straight with regard to Pete Dodd's comments above.

Everything he has said with regard to myself and Driveclub is incorrect. It's also libellous.

As Putty (who is a personal friend of mine, and has been for about 25 years) suggests, I left Evo in February for personal reasons. The personal reasons being that my son, who is 4 years old, has been diagnosed with Nephrotic Syndrome, which is a potentially life threatening condition. I live 220 miles (4 hours drive) away from Evolution Studios, and was away from home 5.5 days a week. Given the circumstances, I could not continue to work there.

Driveclub is a great game, and the direction hasn't changed since my departure. This has been confirmed by SONY in various press releases over recent days.

I have no problem in dealing with very large projects, as I've been working in the games industry for the last 19 years, and have worked on some very prestigious titles, so there is genuinely no truth to anything posted by Mr Dodds at all. My departure (and indeed the setup of my 'indie' operation, BigRedSwitch) is 100% driven by family necessity, not some professional failing on my part.

I left SONY on very good terms. There is no animosity there, and I was absolutely nothing to do with the recent redundancies - in fact, the news of those redundancies was probably linked on here before I knew about them.

The games industry is a tough place at the moment. My circumstances with my son mean that I've had to leave secure work in order to try to make my own way in the world. This may entail getting another job. With people who obviously know nothing about the situation blackening my reputation for the sake of internet 'fame', this could be made much more difficult. It's nothing less than trolling.

I've contacted Mr. Dodd on his email address on his site. Due to the factual inaccuracy of his statements, I've informed him that he needs to remove the statements and apologise for the damage they have caused, as posting incorrect information and claiming it's true is quite simply libel.

I'm sure you can all appreciate just how difficult things are for myself and my family at the moment. I'd genuinely appreciate it if you can take my statements as word from the origin, and realise that there has been no big cover-up when it comes to my departure from SONY/Evo.

Thanks, all.

Col.

Col_Rodgers

Driveclub's director stepped down for personal reasons.

Thats the internet for you, always after a conspiracy, no matter what it is, we all jump at it, we want to know everything and anything and the smallest hint of something spurs us on to make things up, I'm glad that he cleared it up for everyone, you'd think we'd all have better things to do than make things up.

#10 Posted by JohnF111 (14093 posts) -

I can't believe TC is talking like this, when something so personal and serious happens you don't release it to the world and then give 3 months notice just to stop the conspiracy theorists and their "bu bu but Sony finances!!!" excuses.

I'd absolutely hate for something like this to happen and then EXPECT to have it become world news, he works in a relatively small game company, he's not the president so he should at least have his family privacy preserved.

#11 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

@JohnF111 said:

I can't believe TC is talking like this, when something so personal and serious happens you don't release it to the world and then give 3 months notice just to stop the conspiracy theorists and their "bu bu but Sony finances!!!" excuses.

I'd absolutely hate for something like this to happen and then EXPECT to have it become world news, he works in a relatively small game company, he's not the president so he should at least have his family privacy preserved.

He just cleared the air, he just said he wanted to spend more time with his son, that's about it

#12 Posted by ewalthour (763 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: I know he stated he left for personal reasons. My point is that Driveclub development doesn't seem to be going well. Sony should have just stated when the director left that it was personal and not related to all the delays of the game. It looks now like someone is lying to cover up the game being in disarray. Sony in general looks to be in financial turmoil with either important people leaving knowing their impending doom or getting fired without being aware of their unstable status at Sony.

I hope the best for the man if his son is sick. But I don't know him and personally more concern about a game I want to play and for it to be great and not just mediocre. I can't believe you guys don't look at the timeline of all the news on this game and how one minute the game needs to go back to drawing board then all of a sudden things are fine and a release date is coming soon. LETS THINK CLEARLY. Does that makes sense to you?

#13 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

@ewalthour: Maybe he didn't state it because it was personal? But because of all the bs that people do on the internet, is why he cleared it up?

#14 Posted by ewalthour (763 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: you aren't getting the point. Itis none of our business what personal isssues the guy has but we should be at least informed that he was leaving not related to his performance of the game but family health problems. We don't need to know the details.

#15 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

@ewalthour said:

@The_Last_Ride: you aren't getting the point. Itis none of our business what personal isssues the guy has but we should be at least informed that he was leaving not related to his performance of the game but family health problems. We don't need to know the details.

Not really, if someone leaves like Amy Hennig, we don't need the details. She left, that's all. People don't need to know everything

#16 Edited by ewalthour (763 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: I like to know why someone left when a game I Want is in the middle of production and a key person leaves. Like I said before if it's not reasons related to performance on the job then that is a different story. I would be shocked if driveclub and uncharted come out as great games with all these changes change can be good but not in the middle of majing a game. How many movies are good when a director or new writer takes over a franchise during the preparation of a movie? Now if the intent is to have a new director etc from day one then that could inject new ideas to the movie.

#17 Posted by The_Last_Ride (72269 posts) -

@ewalthour said:

@The_Last_Ride: I like to know why someone left when a game I Want is in the middle of production and a key person leaves. Like I said before if it's not reasons related to performance on the job then that is a different story. I would be shocked if driveclub and uncharted come out as great games with all these changes change can be good but not in the middle of majing a game. How many movies are good when a director or new writer takes over a franchise during the preparation of a movie? Now if the intent is to have a new director etc from day one then that could inject new ideas to the movie.

It's frankly none of our business and a lot of the time when a director leaves on a movie or an actor, they don't have to explain themselves. They just leave. This is nothing different

#18 Posted by BattleSpectre (6220 posts) -

I'm not really looking forward to the game truth be told, I don't think it'll live up to it's expectations.

#19 Posted by ewalthour (763 posts) -

When you are in any business these days that is in the public eye expect your life is transparent. If don't want your business publized then don't get in the entertainment industry. In a lot of ways gaming is more popular than movies. Games last long and movies have to be super great not to be forgotten soon as you finish watching it.