So, I finally put in Knack and...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By haze_blaze
Member since 2003 • 3907 Posts

I can't understand why it got such poor reviews! Don't get me wrong it's not a perfect game by any means, but it is a pretty solid launch title. I'm only about 3-4 hours in, but I probably would have scored it in the 7.5 - 8.0 range based on what I've played so far.

There are only a few problems, so I'll address those first...

The dodge mechanic does not feel good or control well. It is usually easier for me to jump to dodge attacks than it is for me to actually dodge. That said, most attacks can be dodged by jumping... a few enemies will require you to use the dodge move.

As a platformer, I wish there was more platforming and exploration to the game. The levels do seem pretty well paced so far, but I do like platforming and puzzle solving in these type of games. Knack is lacking in this area. There are a few simple environmental obstacles but that's it. Some environmental puzzles would have been nice.

Although the growing in size mechanic does actually work well in the game, I can't help but feel it would have been cooler if the levels didn't dictate how big or small I could get. I would have rather grown large as I collected more health, and grow small as I lost it. This one is a more minor complaint though, because their system works well within the context of the game. When you get the chance to grow huge, it feels special.

The last minor thing... in these type of games, I expect to unlock special moves as the game progresses. In Knack, you have all 3 from the beginning. Unlockable moves would have added some depth to the gameplay.

Some of the things I loved...

I love finding and unlocking the hidden chests! One of my complaints was the lack of exploration, but finding these makes up for it just a bit. Part of the fun in finding them is having other friends that have the game! The rewards for the chests are randomized parts that help you build a gadget that will enhance Knack. You can compare your random reward with what your friends got from the same chest. If what they got will help you build a gadget you are going for, you can take what they got instead. It's a very simple, yet cool idea for social integration in a game. I hope we see it in future games.

The platforming is in the combat... although there is not as much platforming as traditional games, I love the timing/strategy required to beat groups of enemies. I'm playing on Hard. It has kept the gameplay fun and challenging, but not punishing.

So far the pacing is very satisfying. You never have to stay small Knack for too long, and the combat feels different at various stages of Knack's growth. More importantly, the combat is still satisfying whether he is small or HUGE.

Lastly, the story and characters seem charming. I kind of wish Knack's voice changed as he grew... and I haven't got deep enough into the game to see how the story unfolds yet... but so far I'm enjoying the characters and the light-hearted story surrounding the game.

It's not a perfect game, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be. It's worth noting that my affection for the game could be related to the fact that I love Japanese anime... and coming from the Sony Japan Studio, it does have a Japanese kind of feel-good quirkiness to it.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I don't understand why KZSF got as low as it did either?! I would rate KZ SF 8.5-9. I think these reviewers were too harsh on the PS4 exclusive launch titles.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i feel the same way, i think it's around a 7ish score, i feel people were expecting something else. This is a great action platformer with little flaws to it. and i don't get the hate

nep321a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 nep321a
Member since 2013 • 75 Posts

I enjoyed the demo quite a bit, in the store. I played the entire 15 minutes. The game was simple and fun, in an old school way. Nice graphics, too. When I get my PS4, this will be my first game purchase.

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

I think I do get why Knack and KZSF are getting shat on despite being good games. I've put a couple hours in Knack as well and, while it's no GOTY contender, it's good at being little Billy's first God of War, with combat and platforming that's easy to grasp but surprisingly engaging. My thoughts of KZSF are in my review, so go there to see them, but I'll spoil that I liked it too. However, we're in a place with the internet nowadays where cynicism and undeserved harshness is viewed as a great way to get clicks. For all of GS' hollow talk after the GTAV review brouhaha, they know that keeping things Kotaku level will get more clicks than being fair. We wouldn't have seen this ten years ago.

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 haze_blaze

@clr84651: I agree. The single player started out strong but had a few missteps towards the end.. Still, I thought it was better than the campaign of BF4 or COD, and yet not up to par with Far Cry. But the online is TOP NOTCH. That's what I've been playing for most of this past week!

I would have given the game a 9. For some reason, I think reviewers expect more out of next gen games even at launch... which is weird considering how well they rate the 3rd party titles that were also on last gen systems.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Played this at Gamestop yesterday. Looks a lot better than reviewers have gave it cred for. Definitely will pick up for my kid to have somehting to play.

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By haze_blaze

@shellcase86: If you listen to the podcast over at Shacknews: http://www.shacknews.com/article/82125/weekend-confirmed-192-ps4-and-xbox-one#item_31124575

They loved it too. The only one on the podcast that didn't love it was the person that reviewed it. I think part of the problem is that the reviewers played the whole game in just one or two sittings, so they got burned out on it. Only a few games have been fun enough that I wanted to finish them in just one or two sittings.

sagejonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By sagejonathan
Member since 2011 • 519 Posts

You know, I've been hearing this a lot lately. After seeing the review, I thought McShea seemed right for once that it is repetitive and boring just like the other critics. However, everyone else seems to like. it's a shame that the reviews were so poor and make a little gem look bad as well as the PS4 itself.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

I haven't played Knack, but I feel that Killzone is a little underrated. The campaign is much better than CoD: Ghosts, and the multiplayer is really fun. Take reviews worth a grain of salt.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I played the demo at Best Buy and thought it was pretty fun. Simple yes, but it kind of felt like it would be at home on the N64, which to me is a very good thing.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I love Knack. I'd say 7.0. I don't understand why a lot of media hates it. It basically is a more open Crash Bandicoot that is harder. I feel like game reviewers don't expect or want the plarformers we used to love anymore. Sure, Crash was no Mario, but it was still fun.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#13 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I've seen some gameplay and it doesn't look as bad as I thought. It still does look like it would get repetitive, but it might be a game worth renting or playing when it eventually and inevitably comes to the Instant Games Collection.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

I'm really enjoying Knack as well. I don't have a clue why it scored so low.

sugrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#15 sugrim
Member since 2004 • 880 Posts

@haze_blaze: Thanks for the analysis.

chiro4life06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By chiro4life06
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

I am really enjoying this game as well. I really hope it sells well because I would love to see a sequel. I have only played this and KZ so far, and I have by far put more time into Knack then Killzone and not because I hate KZ.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

@Puckhog04:

topher78714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 topher78714
Member since 2006 • 672 Posts

I agree with you on Knack, and I love the hidden chest idea as well. Sadly I don't have any friends who have the PS4 curently so I can't take advantage of the system. But if you want to add and compare what I have for when you open a chest, shoot me a friend requst, the name is topher78714

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#19  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

If I bought a PS4 I would buy Knack it looks like a fun game for adults and kids.

haze_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 haze_blaze

I'm sure there are a lot of new PS4 owners out there today... bumping this for their benefit. Add me to your friend list to have more choices from your treasure chest discoveries: HazeBlaze.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I agree on knack, I read reviews saying the story was rubbish and didn't make sense something about there was not reason given to why they just shit the goblins but I think they must of missed the bits which explained it, it was an ok game, shame throughout the game knack does some buts by cut scenes which I felt I should of done but the game was never ment to be a graphical power house or make a statement like most people on here are judging it, its just ment to be a nice simple fun light hearted game, I enjoyed it alot

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By klonoafanboy122
Member since 2013 • 232 Posts

i dunno why it got bad reviews either i havent played it to be fair but from what ive seen it looks fun kinda reminds me of the old platformers like crash bandicoot or jak and daxter etc

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

I'm loving Knack. Got a couple of chapters to go, but I'm really enjoying it. Might even play it again.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:

I'm loving Knack. Got a couple of chapters to go, but I'm really enjoying it. Might even play it again.

make sure you save your 3/4 power shots for the end boss try and complete the end lot of chapters without using any up so it gives you a slight advantage i had to grind through the end boss with nothing but jump and attack

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

@hrt_rulz01 said:

make sure you save your 3/4 power shots for the end boss try and complete the end lot of chapters without using any up so it gives you a slight advantage i had to grind through the end boss with nothing but jump and attack

Thanks for the tip :)

Tubatica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tubatica
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts

I just got it today. If anyone wants to add me that'd be great! PSN ID is Flukbuk.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#27 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I wish this game comes to the xbox one.

hellangel_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28 hellangel_boy
Member since 2007 • 180 Posts

@YukoAsho said:

I think I do get why Knack and KZSF are getting shat on despite being good games. I've put a couple hours in Knack as well and, while it's no GOTY contender, it's good at being little Billy's first God of War, with combat and platforming that's easy to grasp but surprisingly engaging. My thoughts of KZSF are in my review, so go there to see them, but I'll spoil that I liked it too. However, we're in a place with the internet nowadays where cynicism and undeserved harshness is viewed as a great way to get clicks. For all of GS' hollow talk after the GTAV review brouhaha, they know that keeping things Kotaku level will get more clicks than being fair. We wouldn't have seen this ten years ago.

I agree.

JoKeR_421

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JoKeR_421
Member since 2006 • 8920 Posts

If u notice most reviews are either biased or nit pick on small things and take lots of points for it. I think they rushed the review for kzsf, they only reviewed the SO even.though main thing on kz is the NO. While SO had some issues or certain levels that suppose to take 5min to move a certain objective to the next room they stretch it for 15min. But overall even the SO was decent the game in my opinion is a 9.....also even though lot of ppl go by reviews these days let's not forget it's THEIR OPINION AND NOTHING MORE...I have enjoyed games that scored a 5 lol anyways I tthink for a launch console it's line ups are good and so far I'm enjoying it

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Knack is a better game than most people give it credit for. The background designs are very good. This seems to be the first game developed for the PS4. The graphic look is very sharp. The colors pop. This game plays very smoothly. A fun beat them up, adventure platformer type of game. Knack is a solid 70 out 100.

Granted the music or storyline is not groundbreaking. Seems the developers were more interested in trying out the "graphical muscle" of the new playstation. A Golem made of relics. Took me a while to figure out what Knack was. Plus the game takes a while to really get into. Level 5 is where things start to pick up. Knack is a decent game.

A good game but not a great one.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#32  Edited By KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

I haven't played knack but my friend really likes it. Killzone is also better than reviews say, i would give it a 8 at least. I don't bother with reviews anymore...

JimmiCottam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JimmiCottam
Member since 2012 • 105 Posts

I have played Knack at a PS4 demonstration and can safely agree that it is a solid game for the system. It's easy to get to grips with it; it's enjoyable and it has an air of charm about it. It's not the most amazing game but I did get a sense of satisfaction building Knack up with various parts of the surrounding. Watching him transform kept me wanting to play

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I am enjoying Knack too. Yeah sure it could use some more variety, but it is a solid launch title and i sure would like to see a sequel in the future.