so does the vita play UMD's or not?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spire88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Spire88
Member since 2006 • 4502 Posts

i if it doesnt than it is going to fail faster than the "Go", download only game platforms are not the future.

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts
You could really do some research before you just make threads like this... No, it doesn't play UMDs and it won't be download only, as far as we've been told
RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

Why in the world does everyone keep asking this silly question?

Sony would be crazy to put a UMD drive system. The PSV would be DOA.

No, it will not be the massive fail of download only. It will have a propriety format similar to DS carts.

TrinityCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 145

#4 TrinityCat
Member since 2008 • 64 Posts

No. Instead of UMDs, it will be using NVG cards (apparently). And you would have to download the PSP games on the PSN. A lot of people are complaining about it but I'm almost sure that in a year, the complaints will fade (I hope so, unless the Vita will prove to be a disappointment, which I seriously doubt).

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
If people want to still play their UMD PSP games, without having to buy them again from PSN, just keep your PSP. That's what I'll do. Yes, PSV will have some advantages for some games, like dual stick control for Resistance Retribution, but I don't particularly want to ever play through that game again.
redman100111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 redman100111
Member since 2006 • 533 Posts

As already anwsered, no. It's kind of sad when all you do is have to type in as 3 words on google or just pay attention to something to get an answer instead of asking a dumb question. No flame intended, just annoying.

manyfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 manyfist
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
No UMDs, downloads and new storage.
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

UMDs are like the worst handheld game media in existence, and you want the next gen to be shackled to them...?

coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#9 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I wouldn't say it'll fail. They're still keeping the physical format but they're changing to "cartridges" from what I've read. So no UMD. It'll have both downloads and physical games though. This time I doubt it'll fail. Now the go, they shouldn't have even bothered thinking about it. It was the same thing as the 3000 but with some upgrades but not much and without a UMD drive. That download only crap needs to go. If people wanted a download only console, they should've just only downloaded games on the 3000.
DGonlag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 DGonlag
Member since 2009 • 834 Posts

No UMD. Digital distribution and Retail based on flash card.

Really hard doing some research isn't it?

chisoxrule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chisoxrule
Member since 2005 • 2096 Posts

Sony did it right this time. One of my biggest gripes about the original PSP was the slow load times of the UMDs. The PSP Go was a complete flop by eschewing the older format in favor of digital dowhloads with limited storage space. By going the same route as Nintendo's DS, they're going to give the 3DS some serious competition.

McGuirex3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 McGuirex3
Member since 2004 • 581 Posts

As already anwsered, no. It's kind of sad when all you do is have to type in as 3 words on google or just pay attention to something to get an answer instead of asking a dumb question. No flame intended, just annoying.

redman100111

Of course you've never in your entire life, asked (as you put it) a dumb guestion without first doing some research rigtht. I find that again as you put it annoying!

McGuirex3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 McGuirex3
Member since 2004 • 581 Posts

Sony did it right this time. One of my biggest gripes about the original PSP was the slow load times of the UMDs. The PSP Go was a complete flop by eschewing the older format in favor of digital dowhloads with limited storage space. By going the same route as Nintendo's DS, they're going to give the 3DS some serious competition.

chisoxrule

Yep!!

lnknprk_45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lnknprk_45
Member since 2010 • 2013 Posts

The PSP Go's lack of a UMD was looked down upon because up to that point the PSP primary format was UMD. You ended up spending more money on games because of the online only choice, but it's a good model to revolve around downloadable content on a portable system. I like what the PSV is doing. It's focusing on a format where they can focus on downloadable, but they will still be able to offer a medium that you can hold in your hand.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ameer27
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

The PS Vita won't have a UMD drive, so it won't play UMDs. However, unlike the Go, the games won't be download only. The system will take cartridges which they are calling NVG cards, and the games will be sold on these as well.

lnknprk_45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lnknprk_45

The PS Vita won't have a UMD drive, so it won't play UMDs. However, unlike the Go, the games won't be download only. The system will take cartridges which they are calling NVG cards, and the games will be sold on these as well.

Ameer27

How much memory do you think the cards will need because if those cartrides existed for the PSP today the biggest one would be 2 gigs, with most being 1 gig, and maybe the occasional 512 mb. Judging by they Vita's graphics though, I fear the games costing as much, or close to a console game because the Vita is looking to be played with similar control schemes as a console. It literally is looking like a console, but portable.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

i if it doesnt than it is going to fail faster than the "Go", download only game platforms are not the future.

Spire88

Its good that the PSV is bring all these new people to the forum, but man you seem to be really out of touch. Do you follow video games at all?

lnknprk_45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lnknprk_45

[QUOTE="Spire88"]

Coolyfett

Its good that the PSV is bring all these new people to the forum, but man you seem to be really out of touch. Do you follow video games at all?

Just to further delve into that topic a download only platform isn't so far fetched for a handheld console. The issue with the Go wasn't that there was only downloadable content, but the fact that the PSN store wasn't pricing their content according to match UMD prices. In my opinion downloadable content should be a little more affordable than physical media because you're locked into the purchase with downloadable. I'm hoping that PSN and Live marketplace start adopting what Steam does with their store.

Think about it though downloadable is the future of handhelds because it's supposed to be a portable device. The more physical media you have, the less portable it starts becoming. A physical media will always be there because PSN, or whoever has a downloadble content store can't monopolize games.

lewispetty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 lewispetty
Member since 2009 • 417 Posts

no

RACiEP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 RACiEP
Member since 2010 • 687 Posts

Think about it though downloadable is the future of handhelds because it's supposed to be a portable device. The more physical media you have, the less portable it starts becoming. A physical media will always be there because PSN, or whoever has a downloadble content store can't monopolize games.

lnknprk_45

Oh God, I hope not.

Ameer27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ameer27
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

[QUOTE="Ameer27"]

lnknprk_45

How much memory do you think the cards will need because if those cartrides existed for the PSP today the biggest one would be 2 gigs, with most being 1 gig, and maybe the occasional 512 mb. Judging by they Vita's graphics though, I fear the games costing as much, or close to a console game because the Vita is looking to be played with similar control schemes as a console. It literally is looking like a console, but portable.

Sony said the cards will be available in 2GB and 4GB sizes., and more capacity is planned for the future. By the way, they changed the name of the cards apparently... They're calling them "Vita cards" now. Concerning the price, Gamestop has some Vita games listed for 40$. They're almost the same price as some console games.
janardan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 janardan123
Member since 2011 • 80 Posts

PS VITA same as PSP GO.can't play UMD you should buy game from ps store.

Avatar image for ratmanaustin123
ratmanaustin123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ratmanaustin123
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
im not sure if it will be backwards compatible, but i heard that umd will not be the main platform
Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#24 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Thus no. I would have kinda liked the PSP Vita (Then NGP) to have a mini Blu-ray UMD drive. So it could be backwards compat with UMD. But that didn't happen.

Sony has DS like modified SD cards for PSVita games. But no UMD drive. So SD cards are great way to go. Plus they are going to do Downloadable games as well.

zdudman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 zdudman44
What i heard is that its going to use cartridges ,the design is still unknown, but that still has yet to be confirmed by anyone. Sony is keeping us in the dark pretty well i also heard the design is flawed the one they had at the e3 convention was just a prototype so if the cartridge rumor is true then the one they had at e3 was a fluke and they have some major changes to make before the release or they are going to get a lot of angry e-mails and letters.
zdudman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zdudman44
i think wht people are saying they dont wanna waste money on games they already have if worse comes to worse sony should make a device tht transfers the game from the disc to the memory
zdudman44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 zdudman44
i think thats what sony is trying for to make a close second to a console and that role is left to the psp the dsi and now the 3ds but believe it or not the smart phones are also taking some of that role but you also have age groups adults=smart phones 18 and under=portable game systems like i said b4 and i also have a question y would you call them vita cards you got UMD and now cartridges or NVG just doesnt sound right
NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
i think wht people are saying they dont wanna waste money on games they already have if worse comes to worse sony should make a device tht transfers the game from the disc to the memoryzdudman44
Why not just keep your old PSP? Problem solved, no need for backwards compatibility.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="lnknprk_45"]

[QUOTE="Ameer27"]

Ameer27

Sony said the cards will be available in 2GB and 4GB sizes., and more capacity is planned for the future. By the way, they changed the name of the cards apparently... They're calling them "Vita cards" now. Concerning the price, Gamestop has some Vita games listed for 40$. They're almost the same price as some console games.

Demand normally effects the price most times. The HOT games will be priced at 40 bux, then eventually go down to 20 bux.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Coolyfett

PS VITA same as PSP GO.can't play UMD you should buy game from ps store.

janardan123

Its very very interesting to still hear gamers complain over the UMD going away. Sony made the announcement on January 27th 2011 that they were moving away from it. Giving every PSP owner the chance to make adjustments. Coolyfett sold all of his UMDs that same day, was at Gamestop before they even opened lol. "Not into "collecting" anything especially video games, love to play them and review them & even talk about them, but collect them? Naw...chase too many women for that sort of thing. One thing for sure if Coolyfett considers a game a classic it got redownloaded. easy as pie. Not many games are classics, so if its a wach game no way is Coolyfett keeping it for some "collection" No just no...that is what gamestop is for, to make your gaming trash the next mans treasure. The clock it ticking ticking ticking wanna hold on to your UMDs? Hey do what you do, but people need to stop whining because its not like we didnt get a heads up.

morghanphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 morghanphoenix
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

The same thing goes for DLC and PS3 games. If I can go out and buy the GotY edition with the content included for $30, but it costs me $40 or more to buy that same content for a game I already own, I'll be selling my game at the pawn shop and buying the GotY edition. I've seen lots of games on Amazon for $30, but on PSN for $60, now which one do you think people are going to buy?

morghanphoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 morghanphoenix
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

They were talking about B/C with the ability to transfer games to cartridges, but I haven't heard anything about that in quite some time. I'm thinking it may just be another one of Sony's good ideas they pretend they never had.

Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#33 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/news/sony-considering-download-discount-for-umd-owners-014095.php It's not official yet, but Sony is looking at a "reduced price" promotion for existing UMD owners. It would be nice for this reduced price to be free, but it's not looking that way. Either way, it's better than nothing. Hopefully this comes to NA as well.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#34 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

UMDs are like the worst handheld game media in existence, and you want the next gen to be shackled to them...?

jedinat
I don't see where he said that he wanted them.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#35 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
[QUOTE="Granpire"]http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/news/sony-considering-download-discount-for-umd-owners-014095.php It's not official yet, but Sony is looking at a "reduced price" promotion for existing UMD owners. It would be nice for this reduced price to be free, but it's not looking that way. Either way, it's better than nothing. Hopefully this comes to NA as well.

It would never be free because you could then sell your UMDs and profit from the company's own property.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

jedinat

Actually considering cards were expensive when psp came out it was the only way of getting that much space for games. I would rather have 1.8gb umd than megabyte card games like ds.

Darthkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#37 Darthkaiser
Member since 2006 • 12447 Posts

download only game platforms are not the future.

Spire88
It's not a download only platform it has physical media
jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts

I don't see where he said that he wanted them.so_hai

I was supposing he doesn't want the Vita to "fail"

Actually considering cards were expensive when psp came out it was the only way of getting that much space for games. I would rather have 1.8gb umd than megabyte card games like ds.p4s2p0

Notice I wrote in the present tense.VHSs don't suck any less because they were the only option for a while.

Inalcanzable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Inalcanzable
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts
A simple Google search goes a long way.