This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Zombiekiller360 (374 posts) -

I've been trying to get into the Silent Hill franchise for a little while now and I've been looking for a game to start with. I have no Silent Hill experience other than the movies, and I don't know if those are similar? I've found The HD collection, homecoming, and downpour? are they connected? Which do you recommend?

#2 Posted by KiriharaZro (20 posts) -
The only connected are silent hill 1 & 3, the others make references but just that. Ive played the original ps2 silent hill 2 & 3 and Homecoming for ps3, and all are good games, i dont play Downpour
#3 Posted by canechaser04 (21 posts) -

Zombie you missed out! A few months ago playstation plus was offering all silent hill psone games for free. they wasn't in HD but still. they are all pretty good games. Ive played them all except for the newest one. Not sure if i'm missing out or not! :roll:

#4 Posted by _Perfectionist (24 posts) -

I've been trying to get into the Silent Hill franchise for a little while now and I've been looking for a game to start with. I have no Silent Hill experience other than the movies, and I don't know if those are similar? I've found The HD collection, homecoming, and downpour? are they connected? Which do you recommend?

Zombiekiller360
yeah definitely check them out. If you're new to the games, try Homecoming first. I've HC and downpour but not HD collection.
#5 Posted by Dogswithguns (10787 posts) -

My favorite game series, but I get scared to play. I have all of them exept for the very first one PS1's.

#6 Posted by marcheegsr (2843 posts) -

The original games were the best.

More recent ones I enjoyed were homecoming.

I sold Downpour before I got to beat it. Just could not get into it.

#7 Posted by Gen007 (10955 posts) -

Well if you really want to get into true Sh I would play 1 - 3 and yes SH1 is still a very good game imo just not a pretty game being on the ps1 and all. You may be able to get SH1 off psn not sure but get it if you can. Then def SH2 and 3 they are hands down the best two entries in the series. SH2 is not a direct sequel though rather a stand alone game that focuses on its own story. SH3 is a direct sequel to SH1.  up to SH3 is SH at it best after that it gets shaky. SH4 is a mixed bag but still plenty creepy and worth playing if y0ou can get your hands on it,

SH origins  is not good and its basically a forced prequel game that actually hurts the story of SH and not very fun to play + has a rip off Pyramid head which doesn't make sense if you've actually played and understand SH2.

SH homecoming was alright i guess. I wouldn't call a direct sequel but it's events shed some more backstory on the SH's cult origins. Id probably rate it a 7 or 7.5. The story pretty bland the characters are pretty bland and the monsters are pretty bland with  a few exceptions. Combat is way to easy to and you just shred through everything so its hard to be scared. Once again too in this game Pyramid Head actually makes an appearance which doesn't make sense. You can tell that the original Japanese team was not working on this because of stuff like that.

Lastly, Downpour which has issues but i actually ended up enjoying overall. Like SH2 is a non direct sequel it has little to do with previous SH games besides taking place in the same town. The combat system is actually nice imo and they actually did a good job of capturing the feel of SH + it has over world sections with side quests. Other SH have had side things before but not like this. The parts the messed up on this game were the biggest ones not to unfortunately. The story has potential but they completely drop the ball and you never really even give you the whole picture during the game so the whole time you basically guessing what happened in murphys's past. Some of the endings don't even clear things up completely. Also the monster design is terribad. I mean the nailed the atmosphere and then have enemies that kinda make you wanna lol when you see them. Very bland and un intimidating. Very humanoid to which doesn't help. They also ruined the otherworld sections which are a SH mainstay. They have basically been turned into glorified chase sequences where you are running from a ball of light. 1 ball of light is not scary and lol worthy / 2 you don't actually get to take in the creepiness of the otherworld since you spend little time there and most of it is running as fast as you can through it. Like yeah a ball of light is so terrifying.

So yeah id get SH 1 through 3 they are a must. The HD collection has some glaring issues from what ive heard but hey is is on the ps3 and has trophy's. Downpour was decent enough. The rest though  are a pass though unless you find yourself becoming a die hard fan.

#8 Posted by clr84651 (5487 posts) -

I recommend 2,3, Home Coming, and Downpour. 

#9 Posted by Zorine (1629 posts) -

My first Silent Hill game was 3, then I played SH1. I heard 2 was the best in the series, but it didn't appeal to me at the time. May give it another shot. Origins on PSP was also fairly good.

#10 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

A few months ago playstation plus was offering all silent hill psone games for free.

canechaser04

There's only one Silent Hill game on PS1.

#11 Posted by Pffrbt (6565 posts) -

If you're new to the games, try Homecoming first._Perfectionist

Why? It isn't representative of the series at all and it's mediocre at best. If anything he should start with SH2. If he likes that he should play 1 and 3, then 4 if he wants to something similar. I wouldn't even bother with anything outside of the original four because they're all not scary and they all miss the point and are completely lacking in creativity.

#12 Posted by Zombiekiller360 (374 posts) -

Well if you really want to get into true Sh I would play 1 - 3 and yes SH1 is still a very good game imo just not a pretty game being on the ps1 and all. You may be able to get SH1 off psn not sure but get it if you can. Then def SH2 and 3 they are hands down the best two entries in the series. SH2 is not a direct sequel though rather a stand alone game that focuses on its own story. SH3 is a direct sequel to SH1.  up to SH3 is SH at it best after that it gets shaky. SH4 is a mixed bag but still plenty creepy and worth playing if y0ou can get your hands on it,

SH origins  is not good and its basically a forced prequel game that actually hurts the story of SH and not very fun to play + has a rip off Pyramid head which doesn't make sense if you've actually played and understand SH2.

SH homecoming was alright i guess. I wouldn't call a direct sequel but it's events shed some more backstory on the SH's cult origins. Id probably rate it a 7 or 7.5. The story pretty bland the characters are pretty bland and the monsters are pretty bland with  a few exceptions. Combat is way to easy to and you just shred through everything so its hard to be scared. Once again too in this game Pyramid Head actually makes an appearance which doesn't make sense. You can tell that the original Japanese team was not working on this because of stuff like that.

Lastly, Downpour which has issues but i actually ended up enjoying overall. Like SH2 is a non direct sequel it has little to do with previous SH games besides taking place in the same town. The combat system is actually nice imo and they actually did a good job of capturing the feel of SH + it has over world sections with side quests. Other SH have had side things before but not like this. The parts the messed up on this game were the biggest ones not to unfortunately. The story has potential but they completely drop the ball and you never really even give you the whole picture during the game so the whole time you basically guessing what happened in murphys's past. Some of the endings don't even clear things up completely. Also the monster design is terribad. I mean the nailed the atmosphere and then have enemies that kinda make you wanna lol when you see them. Very bland and un intimidating. Very humanoid to which doesn't help. They also ruined the otherworld sections which are a SH mainstay. They have basically been turned into glorified chase sequences where you are running from a ball of light. 1 ball of light is not scary and lol worthy / 2 you don't actually get to take in the creepiness of the otherworld since you spend little time there and most of it is running as fast as you can through it. Like yeah a ball of light is so terrifying.

So yeah id get SH 1 through 3 they are a must. The HD collection has some glaring issues from what ive heard but hey is is on the ps3 and has trophy's. Downpour was decent enough. The rest though  are a pass though unless you find yourself becoming a die hard fan.

Gen007

Wow thanks! I picked up the HD collection gonna start playing tonight haha :|

#13 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gen007"]

Zombiekiller360

Wow thanks! I picked up the HD collection gonna start playing tonight haha :|

One word - "Headphones".

:D

Oh, and two more, "After Dark".

;)

#14 Posted by Shinobi7777 (1064 posts) -

Zombie you missed out! A few months ago playstation plus was offering all silent hill psone games for free. they wasn't in HD but still. they are all pretty good games. Ive played them all except for the newest one. Not sure if i'm missing out or not! :roll:

canechaser04

Only the first Silent Hill came out on the PS1.

to the TS I recommand playing the first 4. They are well worth the time and money.

#15 Posted by TheFlush (5571 posts) -

Silent Hill 2 is not only the best Silent Hill game, it's also one of the best games of all time.