Should I select Dolby Digital 5.1 ch. for a stereo soundbar?

Syrano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 Syrano
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I'm pretty confused about the audio output settings on the PS3 with all the acronyms and I'd really appreciate some help. The PS3 is plugged in with a HDMI cable. By default, it selects Dolby Digital 5.1 channels, Linear PCM 44.1 kHz and Linear PCM 48 kHz. Now, I have a fairly decent Samsung sound bar with subwoofer but it's just stereo. Should I uncheck the Dolby Digital 5.1 ch. option so it doesn't output sound to non-existent speakers? If I only have Linear PCM options, do I lose the subwoofer options? Thanks in advance for clarification and suggestions.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Syrano:

No, the consoles are stupid, by default they have DD on, assuming people have DD.

Turn it off and leave it at stereo assuming its not a $5000 soundbar that has an amplifier built in.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

Ya turn of DD.

Syrano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4  Edited By Syrano
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

Thanks, guys! I suppose I should stick with Linear PCM 2 channels then, but should I checkmark the higher kHz too? I have a Samsung hw-F450. I've searched through my manual and the online tech specs at http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/HW-F450/ZA-specs, but I can't find that information anywhere. Perhaps I'm not looking at the right place.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@Syrano said:

Thanks, guys! I suppose I should stick with Linear PCM 2 channels then, but should I checkmark the higher kHz too? I have a Samsung hw-F450. I've searched through my manual and the online tech specs at http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-audio/HW-F450/ZA-specs, but I can't find that information anywhere. Perhaps I'm not looking at the right place.

You wont hear anything if you check the higher KHz, its ONLY a soundbar, not a high-end speaker.