Should I buy a used PS4 without a receipt?

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

Hey all, just wondering what your opinion on this topic is.

As far as I know, you need a receipt for any type of warranty reason (please correct me if I'm wrong). I was wondering how risky it would be to purchase a used PS4 without the receipt off craigslist. Most of the people I've talked to have only the box and no receipt.

Do you feel the chance of anything going wrong with the PS4 is slim to none? Is it worth the risk or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Also, before anyone asks, I'm looking to buy used over new right now just because I have a few people willing to sell in the $300 to $325 range. Can't pass that up.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#2 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

Short answer "NO"!! Long answer "HELL NO"! Dude, if you got $325 already why not wait until you get the rest of the money? You'll have a brand new system with all the proper documentation and peace of mind to go along with it.

Even if you don't have money for games, they have a nice selection of quality free games to offer.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Nope, if it get's broken you're pretty much screwed

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

If it were cheaper than that, maybe.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

It's new technology so it's more than likely going to have some problems. Sony for the most part won't honor the warranty without a receipt.

I'd just spend the extra money and buy new. For the piece of mind. Stay away from used unless you can get a receipt. Unless you are willing to accept the fact that you could have a $300 door stop on your hands at some point.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jcrame10

Pretty good points.

To the one poster: I was just looking to buy cheaper than the retail price.

The more I think about it and read your comments, I think buying new would be the safest bet though.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 MarcRecon

@jcrame10:

If it was cheaper and you had a receipt or invoice I would say do it because you would have some type of protection! But this deal just smells of a bad outcome....peace of mind is priceless!!!

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

No receipt=no buy, especially on a purchase of a console.

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

the receipt is only proof of purchase date to mark the beginning of the warranty period. i dont see why sony couldnt go by a manufacture date or even the ps4s launch date because nobody had a retail model before then [except maybe reviewers but im sure the s/n of those units are already documented in sonys records] so if its broken within a year of those dates theres no legitimate reason they shouldnt honor the warranty without the receipt...but who knows these days

Skyz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Skyz_
Member since 2014 • 56 Posts

For that money it's a pretty big risk, just save a bit more and buy new to be safe.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

@MarcRecon said:

Short answer "NO"!! Long answer "HELL NO"! Dude, if you got $325 already why not wait until you get the rest of the money? You'll have a brand new system with all the proper documentation and peace of mind to go along with it.

Even if you don't have money for games, they have a nice selection of quality free games to offer.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Why the **** would you need a receipt, are you guys being serious? The warranty is through Sony directly, and it's a standard 1 year warranty. All they would need is the PS4's serial number.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jcrame10

@commandokock: @BattleSpectre hey i agree with you guys, I think "needing a receipt for a warranty" is bullshit as well. I called the Sony Warranty line and they basically told me "no receipt, no deal". Nintendo doesnt need it, all they want is the model number on the back of the Wii U which I promptly told the Sony girl on the phone.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jcrame10

also, I did a little more digging and found this:

Warranty coverage

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) provides a Limited Warranty for North American PlayStation® brand systems, its first party peripherals, and first party format software titles.

Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) offers the PlayStation Protection Plan that extends the warranty for up to two years. If you purchased an extended warranty through a retailer, please contact the retailer where the extended warranty was issued for additional information.

Any issue with your system that was caused by neglect, unlicensed product use, the warranty seal has been tampered with or removed, physical abuse, accident, and/or excessive wear and tear, will not qualify the product for in-warranty service.

In order to be considered for warranty service from SCEA, you must provide a valid proof of purchase (i.e., store receipt). SCEA accepts receipts with the product itemized, along with the price and the valid purchase date clearly printed. Hand-written receipts are not acceptable.

Please note, items purchased through auction sites or second hand do not qualify for in-warranty service.

If you send your system to SCEA for in-warranty service without a valid proof of purchase, your system will be returned to you unserviced.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MarcRecon

@jcrame10:

Pretty much what most of us have been telling you! :) ....and there you have it, straight from the big guys

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

I never ever buy used consoles, it just doesn't sit right, I like to open a brand new console. But if you're low on money and really want one just test it out before you buy it, you're covered by sony for a year warranty.

dbtbandit67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dbtbandit67
Member since 2012 • 415 Posts

@jcrame10 said:

Hey all, just wondering what your opinion on this topic is.

As far as I know, you need a receipt for any type of warranty reason (please correct me if I'm wrong). I was wondering how risky it would be to purchase a used PS4 without the receipt off craigslist. Most of the people I've talked to have only the box and no receipt.

Do you feel the chance of anything going wrong with the PS4 is slim to none? Is it worth the risk or should I just bite the bullet and buy a new one?

Also, before anyone asks, I'm looking to buy used over new right now just because I have a few people willing to sell in the $300 to $325 range. Can't pass that up.

No.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MarcRecon

@ps4hasnogames:

if there is no proof of original purchase...sony will not honor it!

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

The only used consoles I've ever bought are the ones they don't make anymore. If it's still around and new in stores, always buy new. Rule of thumb.

rimaxo14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 rimaxo14
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

Absolutely not i'm a living example i bought a gtx 580 years ago second hand from someone on craigslist and it had a lifetime warranty well they updated the terms of w/e and i did not have original invoice after it started to go and then it died and i lost out on 500 bucks all cause i wanted to save $100. I also bought a ps3 second hand off someone and that just recently died and ya i'm out of a console now just cause i wanted to save a few bucks. I will always buy my electronics new with a warranty from here on out lesson learned. It's nice to save some money absolutely and hey you may get lucky and never run into problems but more then likely you will and that's when you will wish you spent a little extra. I'm going to buy a ps4 soon and get a 3 year accidental warranty plan so i can play worry free.

matt2790

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

User Lists: 6

#21 matt2790
Member since 2014 • 184 Posts

@jcrame10: c'mon man.. where you from? You don't realize how cheap a console is.. If you lived here in Uruguay (PS4 costs $745 bucks) then you'd go really mad.. Realize how lucky you are, and wait a bit longer. It'd definitely worth it.