Should I buy a PS3 even though I have a PS4?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xxchadxxchad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxchadxxchad
Member since 2008 • 199 Posts

I have had a ps4 since launch day, but to be honest, I'm bored with it. There are no games out for it yet. So I was wondering if I should buy a 12gb ps3 and throw in one if my laptop harddrives, just for the ps plus games and the last of us to hold me over until some games come out on the PS4? Would it be worth it? Thanks!

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

no

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

YES

agux987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 agux987
Member since 2008 • 234 Posts

It depends. There are a lot of great games coming out for PS3 this year, like South Park: Stick of Truth if you're into it. The Last of Us is awesome, and with PS+ you get Metro: Last Light, Bioshock Infinite, Uncharted 3 and Borderlands, which are really good games. If money is not a problem, go ahead.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
deactivated-589cfb21cbc03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deactivated-589cfb21cbc03
Member since 2009 • 840 Posts

@roulettethedog said:

There are a ton of fun PS3 games. And the only way you can play PS3 games on the PS4 is to buy digital downloads.

the ps4 doesn't play ps3 games at all. not even digital ps3 games. i'm not sure how ps now will work but that is the only way to play ps3 games on ps4. however ps now isn't out yet. to answer the original question, yes. i also recommend you try beyond two souls.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

it has value as a 3D Blu-ray player and there are a few great exclusive games for PS3 so it might be worth it. I already have both and use my old PS3 to watch 3D movies until, hopefully the PS4 gets and update to allow 3D movie playback. I haven't tried playing a 3D movie in it yet but I've been prompted to play some 3D demos so I know it's capable. I think the PS3 generation was overall very weak mainly due to Microbribe destroying all the 3rd party games.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Yeah I think so. Even though the ps4 is great, the ps3 is still an impressive console with a ton of quality games that would keep you busy for a long time.

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

i personally wouldnt bother buying a ps3 if i already had a ps4. id be willing to wait for the games and save my money but everyones different. some people just get a gaming itch and maybe to someone like that it might be worth it. after all there ARE a lot of games to choose from on the ps3

also i heard the superslim needs some bracket to hold your laptop harddrive in place. apparently its not included and hard to come by. theres supposed to be ways you can rig it to work without the bracket but that just seems like a pain in the ass to me. only heard this info so i cant say any of its for sure but i thought it was worth mentioning so you could look into it yourself

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#10 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@xxchadxxchad: Hell yeah it would be worth it. You could just get old games for cheap prices retail and digital. I strongly recomend it. I got mine in 2012, and i am happy as hell with it

Natalie445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Natalie445
Member since 2006 • 59 Posts

Yes. I still play my ps3 the majority of the time. Doesn't look like that'll change for at least another year. Ps plus has been pretty good to me on ps3 too, but I don't care much for ps4 or psv updates

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

There's a big library so I'd say go for it

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

@xxchadxxchad:

I kept my PS3 as I have kept most of my consoles. I would get one if I were you just because there are games on PS3 that will never make it to PS4. And your right about PS4. Very boring console as of right now. I beat Call of Duty and BF4 and Killzone Shadowfall and cant find a reason to play it anymore for now. I think I may put off gaming until the end of the year.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

I will respond with a question: do you want any ps4 games? if yes: yes; if no: no.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@xxchadxxchad said:

I have had a ps4 since launch day, but to be honest, I'm bored with it. There are no games out for it yet. So I was wondering if I should buy a 12gb ps3 and throw in one if my laptop harddrives, just for the ps plus games and the last of us to hold me over until some games come out on the PS4? Would it be worth it? Thanks!

I actually re-bought a PS3 the other day (I traded mine last year to get PS4), because I missed playing my old favs from last gen. Plus I wanted to play the Last of Us & Bioshock Infinite DLC. I like having a "backup" system to go to.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

If the games interest you, sure. PS3 has a good library.

BrokeMuleGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BrokeMuleGamer
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

There are hundreds of inexpensive, high quality, and fun PS3 games. To name a few excellent games that can be acquired very cheaply: Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock, Bioshock 2, the Uncharted series, the Infamous series, Grand Theft Auto Episodes From Liberty City, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Dead Island, The Walking Dead, the Resistance series. In short, if you think its worth it to play great games for little money, get a PS3.

beefdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 beefdog
Member since 2004 • 9185 Posts

I bought a ps3 the same week i got my ps4. Theres a ton of good games on the ps3 worth playing...i would recommend it to anyone

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes since the PS4 is not B/C enabled. Getting a PS3 12GB and putting in an old computer HDD is what that model is for. Plus Sony will support the PS3 for another 3 years. Sony did promise a 10yr lifespan for PS3.

Plus there is a lot of games for PS3 to catch up on. New games will be coming until at least Nov 18th 2016. Then Sony will have kept it's 10yr promise.

The Playstation 4 will take a bit to get going so the first year to 18th months will be slow for new PS4 releases. By the end of 2015 PS4 should be in full swing with lots of new games. But right now we just have the Launch games and few launch window releases.

So get that PS3 12GB for $199.99 to tide you over.

goatman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 goatman1
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

To answer the question on the HDD brackets, just go on Amazon and search for them. You'll find plenty of options there. As for getting a PS3, definitely do it if there are games you still want to play. Also, if you've been having a bit of a hard time with your PS4 going black screen on you at times, such as when you're playing a BD movie or even to change the RGB settings to full (weird, right?), also buy a PS3. The BD movie issue is as of update 1.60, though I haven't tried it with this latest update (1.61), and it's still having the RGB issue, though if you know where your system turn-off option is, restart it that way and then turn it back on, and, if you're having this issue, you will be fine afterwards, with RGB set to full.

digitm64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 5

#21 digitm64
Member since 2013 • 470 Posts

I would say no unless you can find it dirt cheap. Thief is coming out soon, Infamous Second Son after that, Wolfenstein in April. I reckon March onwards will see a more steady stream of great PS4 games that will keep you occupied.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15910 Posts

Reasons to get or hold on ps3 ? PERSONA 5 and TALES OF XILLIA 2/ZESTIRIA coming soon !

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#23 dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

I say, yes, go get yourself a PS3.

Puggy301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By Puggy301
Member since 2003 • 202 Posts

If you're a subscriber to PS+, I'd say yes, definitely buy one. There's a nice collection of free games available on PLUS for the PS3, and I'm not just talking about obscure indie titles either.. X-Com, Uncharted 3, Bioshock Infinite and Borderlands 2 are all available for download. In addition, a lot of classic PS3 games have really come down in price. You can't go wrong buying one IMHO.