Save your PS3!! from dust >

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Renzokucant
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

usually dust floats around the air like people would normally see, however it accumulates on things that can possibly create a static charge. TV's Computers PS3's for example. you may also notice that dust accumulates quicker on area's with little to no airflow, on the table near, around, and behind the tv, or your game systems.

i found that my game systems could collect dust on the top as well as in the system when i had them on tables on or near my tv, as well as just having them on a table period.

after re-arranging a few things i found that now i have little to no dust in my systems ( i can tell the amount of dust on the inside because i take apart my 360 ) and i notice there is little to no dust on the inside. so i decided to put my PS3 where my 360 used to be in order to better protect it from the dust. so i suggest trying this. take a look at the pics below. i put the PS3 on a 3 tier rack that i have, there is no 'flat' surface for dust to accumulate on at all because the system is basically sitting on bars. i have also put the playstation -- underneath the tv-- as apposed to next to it, on top ( if you have sd tv's) or in front.

basically by spacing out your electronics, and not putting them on a flat surface where dust can accumulate in to a nice big blob of crap that your ps3 will just suck up the next time you turn it on, you could prolong the life of your lil baby.

- few cleaning tips for those who may ask.

• try to avoid swiffer cloth. ( static electricy and electronics dont mix )
  • dont use anything wet, anything will do to wipe off your ps3, i personally grab a cotton shirt out of my dirty laundry and wipe it down with part of the shirt that doesnt include stitching or whatnot to avoid scratches.
  • dont use compressed air because the vents are so small on the ps3 as well as other systems that your more likely to blow dust thats inside the system to places in the system the dust normally wouldnt reach. the dust follows the airflow pattern that your fans in the ps3 create.
  • use a vaccuum but dont use high power, and have the attachment pressed against the system itself, give some distance just to be nice ( you wouldnt want someone puttin a vaccuum on your skin would ya?
  • can cover your ps3 with a towel when your not using it, or if you like to see your PS3 you can do what i did and take the slim foam packing that came with your PS3 (probably stil in your box unless you threw it away) take some scissors and cut a nice square out and place that on top of your PS3, same with the plastic it came in, i cut a square out and just lay it on top for neat appearance.

Notice how there is really no place for dust to accumulate, however if i were to take my finger and wipe the dvd's on the bottom shelf there would be alot of dust, by placin the ps3 on a non flat surface like this, thats dust that will not be in my ps3.

by keeping your ps3 off the floor, out of the corner of your room, off a flat surface your just minimizing the amount of dust you gather inside your system.

remember these are just my idea's and personal experience, hope you find it a helpful idea.

verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts
great pointers..I like the racked shelf...definitely gives your ps3 room to breath at the bottom.. also...go afro. ;P
Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

Dust has never been a problem for any of the systems I have owned, including my PS3. I just hope it stays that way. :P

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
TC, I just hope you're not in an earthquake zone...
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Renzokucant

TC, I just hope you're not in an earthquake zone...hazelnutman

sorry quick question.. i see "TC" thrown around alot around the forums, what is that?

Shad0ki11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shad0ki11
Member since 2006 • 12576 Posts

[QUOTE="hazelnutman"]TC, I just hope you're not in an earthquake zone...Renzokucant

sorry quick question.. i see "TC" thrown around alot around the forums, what is that?

TC= "Topic Creator", which in this case is you.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Renzokucant

oh cool i get it now.

well in response to the earthquake thing, yea that was a concern for me about the thing fallin over. but the bottom has feet that screw left and right to raise the rig up higher or lower, the front ones i unscrewed to make the front higher and tthe back slightly lower, so if it shakes it will fall back only a few inches to the wall, and not completely fall over lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a22550b94008
deactivated-5a22550b94008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5a22550b94008
Member since 2009 • 426 Posts

Good to know... so TC = OP.

I've never heard TC before.

samuraiguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 samuraiguns
Member since 2005 • 11588 Posts

Very useful information. :)

GenkaiSIX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GenkaiSIX
Member since 2008 • 274 Posts

Save your PC!! from dust >

Seriously though, if you can afford a PS3, you should have some common sense as to how to take care of it. Sad though that these topics are still sometimes necessary.

Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Renzokucant

Save your PC!! from dust >

Seriously though, if you can afford a PS3, you should have some common sense as to how to take care of it. Sad though that these topics are still sometimes necessary.

GenkaiSIX
PC is an easy fix tho, anyone with half a brain who had lego's as a kid can take apart a PC clean it and put it back together. take apart your PS3 and you pretty much risk loads of money, whether you can put it back together or not, you still risk the warranty
rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts
I use a Microfiber Cloth to clean the Piano Black Finish on my PS3 and my LCDs. Works great, doesn't scratch, cheap.
RotaryRX7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 RotaryRX7
Member since 2003 • 7184 Posts
Sorry but I'm going to stick with my black glass shelves on my TV stand...No offense, but the metal rack looks like something you'd see at a department store displaying products. I vacuum my PS3's vents out weekly and dust it with a microfiber cloth. It works great. I think regular maintenance of the PS3 is the way to prevent dust, and TC you've hit some of those points well. Specifically your vacuuming tips and anti-compressed air stance are good. The PS3's small size, and the fact that you can't open it up without voiding the warranty make it a no-no for compressed air. With a PC this is fine since you can pop open the side of the case and allow the dust to escape. One note I would like to add though... Your choice of cloth to wipe the PS3 off is a bit skewed. Firstly, dirty laundry... *sigh* where do I start? You perspire, your body leaves small flakes of skin (aka DUST) on your clothing...Therefore, using a dirty shirt to wipe off the PS3 is just complementing the problem of dust if anything. A microfiber cloth is one of the best choices you can use. They cost a bit more than a typical cloth, but they do not leave particles behind which is consistant with most cotton products. They are also very soft and will not scratch the surface of the PS3. Those are the tips I would give on this subject, and this is coming from an OCD perfectionist. :D
TormentedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 TormentedHero
Member since 2009 • 661 Posts
That's very interesting, Im going to have to try that out.
Renzokucant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Renzokucant

i should add that the rack thing is a very broke ass college student friendly approach to furniture in your room lol. if you have some cash for somethin nicer by all means.

jdawg18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jdawg18
Member since 2009 • 45 Posts
anyone know how to remove scratches? i got a whole bunch of em
rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts
I did a quick google search on how to remove scratches from plastic. I tried the Furniture Polish trick on my PS3. It worked for very fine scratches, but one deeper scratch is still there, although less noticeable.
jerkface96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jerkface96
Member since 2005 • 9189 Posts

WOW i never woulld thought of that, im going to the store tomrow for sure! especially with all these YLOD stories floting around.

LoveSexMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LoveSexMagic
Member since 2009 • 97 Posts
I use a Microfiber Cloth to clean the Piano Black Finish on my PS3 and my LCDs. Works great, doesn't scratch, cheap.rjxtian
Where do you get the microfiber cloth?
LoveSexMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LoveSexMagic
Member since 2009 • 97 Posts
[QUOTE="RotaryRX7"]Sorry but I'm going to stick with my black glass shelves on my TV stand...No offense, but the metal rack looks like something you'd see at a department store displaying products. I vacuum my PS3's vents out weekly and dust it with a microfiber cloth. It works great. I think regular maintenance of the PS3 is the way to prevent dust, and TC you've hit some of those points well. Specifically your vacuuming tips and anti-compressed air stance are good. The PS3's small size, and the fact that you can't open it up without voiding the warranty make it a no-no for compressed air. With a PC this is fine since you can pop open the side of the case and allow the dust to escape. One note I would like to add though... Your choice of cloth to wipe the PS3 off is a bit skewed. Firstly, dirty laundry... *sigh* where do I start? You perspire, your body leaves small flakes of skin (aka DUST) on your clothing...Therefore, using a dirty shirt to wipe off the PS3 is just complementing the problem of dust if anything. A microfiber cloth is one of the best choices you can use. They cost a bit more than a typical cloth, but they do not leave particles behind which is consistant with most cotton products. They are also very soft and will not scratch the surface of the PS3. Those are the tips I would give on this subject, and this is coming from an OCD perfectionist. :D

Where do you buy a microfiber cloth? I need to pick one up this weekend my PS3 needs a wipe down and I don't want to scratch it.
Jfisch93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 Jfisch93
Member since 2008 • 3557 Posts

Ooh cool I need to get one of those racks that's a great idea for keeping the ps3 cool.

Thetaguru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Thetaguru
Member since 2006 • 1394 Posts

I've never had a problem with any of my systems before but I got paranoidsince there have been so many reporting problems due to dust. I even started putting an old t-shirt over my PS3 when not using it.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

Never had a problem with dust although I use a very good filter system for the heat/AC system and change the filters when needed. There is a lot less dust to deal with by just doing simple little things in the house to keep dust down.

Solid_Cipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Solid_Cipher
Member since 2008 • 752 Posts
Very usefull info yo. :D
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#25 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Great shelf, TV, Poster, oh and thanks for the tips :D

Demon-Sage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Demon-Sage
Member since 2010 • 61 Posts

I got my PS3 slim on top of my large Entertainment Center. But I also has it sitting on, not directly tho, what you could call 'small car floormats'. On the small mats are 6 Fome cups, stacked 2 by 2 in a triangle formation under my PS3. giving about Five inches on the bottem. I keep a pillow case over my PS3 when not using it, but my room can get pretty dusty too. D:

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Good suggestions, TC (I just learned what that means, too).

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

This is what I do. I have the "fabled" PS3 60giger which is prone to overhesting and dying. But I have to had any problems with it. Due to doing what you have done.

The slims don't need such great care as the phats. Yep protecting from dust does help.

R3Miix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 R3Miix
Member since 2008 • 214 Posts

I thought my set up was weird to have a TV beside my gaming, so I can watch shows and play at the same time, I didn't know anyone else done the same.