Saints Row 2 vs Grand Theft Auto IV

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Zack-X-X
Member since 2009 • 61 Posts

Alot of people these days say, Don't compare Saints Row 2 And GTA IV as they are completely different games, I beg to differ.

Missions & Story - Comparison

Saints Row 2 has no ideological story it is to original and in between the missions you must kill aimlessly to complete another one while in the process losing money. What is the point of this? How does this work. Well it does if your a nerd who can spend 5 hours on killing aimlessly.

Grand Theft Auto IV has a movie like story which portrays a Russian Illegal Immigrant in the USA after the collapse of the Soviet Communist Union named Niko Bellic I would describe him as a cold blooded tank of whom Kills to survive and at the same time improve his financial state. Throughout the story he improves his reputation but I won't elaborate more as it may give away the game to some of whom Have not played it. The Phone aspect in the game really made it easier and also catching taxis of which SR2 failed to do. The missions keep coming and if you explore you can find the Gangsters instead of constantly being attacked.

Open Gameplay Fun - Comparison

The graphics in SR2 really ruined the game but the variety of weapons & vechiles is much larger than GTA IV and activities as in SR2 you can completely design your charachter not just his clothes. The driving in GTA IV Is much more realistic and so is the cause of death, overall GTA IV gets the brownie points on realisim. Killing is much the same but it is much easier to aim on GTA IV and SR2 Aiming is incredibly awful.

Grand Theft AUto IV's graphics were Amazing better than I had seen on any other game, it is the main reason it got such a high rating from Gamespot and the New York Times. It has a weapon variet unfortunately not as great as Saints Row 2's. GTA IV's Aiming is realistic and so is the range of bullets. The vechiles look better in GTA IV and there are quite a variety but Aircraft & helicopters are better in SR2 and as a matter of fact they don't have Aircraft for us to fly in GTA IV. Both games are fun to rome arround in.

Online - Comparison (Semi)

I have not used SR2 Online.

GTA IV Online is fun to play but overtime is repetitvely boring. The variety of game modes is good but the setting up of games is not and should be fixed by rockstar. Hopefully they do so in the future. Unfortunately lag defines the winner in alot of the cases.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now my question to you is, What is your opinion? I would like to know I have an open mind to all your opinions on this interesting topic.

Thanks Zxx

Avatar image for lions_rock_2008
lions_rock_2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 lions_rock_2008
Member since 2005 • 1121 Posts

i liked GTA 3, and San Andreas....Loved GTA Vice City.....liked Saints Row.... I think GTAIV and Saints Row 2 are complete **** and great examples of lazy developers and rushed games

Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts
GTA4 sucked, saints row 2 was ehh, it looks to sim-ish. Which i hate sims, so saints rows suck as well in my book.
AaaSS82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AaaSS82
Member since 2005 • 213 Posts
GTAIV was def a departure from previous GTA's. In some ways it was good, but mostly just bad. I did enjoy the two expansions, if you played it on 360 at all. I don't care what anyone says though, Saints Row 2 was a blast. The story was meh, but just the customization, vehicles, activities make it worthwhile. Streaking and Insurance Fraud = Best side missions ever.
SuperMario254

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SuperMario254
Member since 2003 • 2897 Posts

GTA4 had story, while SR2 had just, overall fun with itself.. it never took itself seriously and felt much more like GTA3 (imo, the best GTA title to date in terms of fun/story/fun main character). So SR2 wins out. It had a cartoon violence feel which let it get away with more (like the hired muscle side missions where you could toss guys into airplane engines for example).

Anyway, GTA4 has the story down.. but they did so much junk to bog it down (your cousin calling every 10 friggin seconds) that it felt more like a chore then fun, more realism yes, but it's GTA.. non of the GTAs before it were "realistic" so idk why they went that route... so I give it to SR2.

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zack-X-X

GTA4 sucked, saints row 2 was ehh, it looks to sim-ish. Which i hate sims, so saints rows suck as well in my book.Javieralijandro

Hmm.. So what your saying is you have no interest in either? So if thats the case.. Maybe you have not played GTA IV enough as I personally disagree with its 10.0 rating I think it deserves 9.5, But honestly, do you think GTA IV has no +'s to it. By instinct, I would think OG games arent your type, You tell me?

Jettero-Heller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jettero-Heller
Member since 2002 • 4289 Posts

I've never played SR2 but I've read a number of reviews on it, all of which were more fun than actually playing GTAIV.

Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#11 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts

Grand Theft Auto IV was great, never played Saints Row 2.

Avatar image for Solid_Snake_187
Solid_Snake_187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Solid_Snake_187
Member since 2007 • 193 Posts

Funny, me and my brother were just discussing this and I said that I'd pick saints row 2 over GTAIV ANYDAY... fun gameplay, customizable character and pretty cool story... The whole "gang vs gang" and territory vs territory actually makes for some fun/intense gameplay.

I own both GTAIV and Saints Row 2 and in GTAIV i just feel like an immigrant, in saints row 2 i feel like more of a bad @$$ G lol as corny as that sounds. to each their own I guess but to me Saints Row 2>GTAIV

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Zack-X-X
[QUOTE="Solid_Snake_187"]

Funny, me and my brother were just discussing this and I said that I'd pick saints row 2 over GTAIV ANYDAY... fun gameplay, customizable character and pretty cool story... The whole "gang vs gang" and territory vs territory actually makes for some fun/intense gameplay.

I own both GTAIV and Saints Row 2 and in GTAIV i just feel like an immigrant, in saints row 2 i feel like more of a bad @$$ G lol as corny as that sounds. to each their own I guess but to me Saints Row 2>GTAIV

That sounds so narrow minded but I respect your opinion, You obviously are not much for storys I think you are basing your comments on (Mucking Arround) part of game. GTA IV's Graphics are better and so are there Aiming/Story. So On the contrary, I disagree. If you analysed the games by an intellectual and detailed comparison you would see why GTA IV is better. But I respect your opinion.
M0wen10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#14 M0wen10
Member since 2009 • 7555 Posts

Grand Theft Auto 4 is better than Saints Row 2 in every single possible way, simple.

gamer26690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gamer26690
Member since 2004 • 715 Posts
i like sr2 better than gta4. for me gta4 spat in the eye of gta series it took most of the fun and content from previous games and replaced it with slightly more realistic feel. gta4 is the only one i can't even force myself to playthrough again all the other ones i've played through at least twice each. i do admit that gta4 was developed better than sr2 which can be really glitchy at times
TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

SR2 is one of my favourite games this gen. I didn't even care of buying GTA4.

The BIG difference for me is the spirit/humor and lack of. In GTA4 when you kill soemone, be it a thug, crime boss, or innocent people it's the same, cold blood kill, you do it and your soul is no more stained by it as it's part of your normal life, you just don't care about if it's bad or anything. For someone who is mature and can easily differentiate right and wrong, you can distantitate and decide if what you do is bad and if the character is a role model or not. But if you're 14-18 you just kill people and think it's a normal thing, even exciting, and sometimes great to kill plenty, even if it's old people or innocent bystanders. I find it a horrible way to draw yougsters to violence and make it feel like it's not important.

In SR2 vioelnce is so over the top and dialogues are just plain stupid (the lyrics of the rap songs are just so dumb they're funny) and the activities the character does makes you think about comedy movies rather than thug or dark movies. I enjoy SR2 as it's just dumb fun and kids will not one second mistake it for real life and take the violence as serious and stealing cars or doing things punished by the law as being "good" things you need to do to have your character improve his life and get satisfied with.

For gameplay, it's accessible enough to everyone, graphics are real nice, sound effects are solid, and choice of music is very varied.

To sum up GTA4 has been sooo ovehyped for a game that brings nothing to gameplay or cinematic experience and will make violence and crime things you don't have to care about and without consequences, while SR2 is very funny for people of all ages and felt like a game and distraction.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

i bought my good old 40g ps3 with the gta IV bundle , it was my only game for a month til the nextmonth , was a good game enjoyed it into the half of the story but then i bought sr2 and enjoyed much more despite its worse (still good for my standards) grafics , couldnt stop play sr2 until i finished it , meanwhile i got several other games also and didnt play GTAIV ever again yet for a year and something , imo SR2 is the overall better game although if you could combine the good aspects of each into 1 game it would be the perfect gta style game

Avatar image for Kid_Notorious07
Kid_Notorious07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kid_Notorious07
Member since 2009 • 437 Posts

SR2 is one of my favourite games this gen. I didn't even care of buying GTA4.

The BIG difference for me is the spirit/humor and lack of. In GTA4 when you kill soemone, be it a thug, crime boss, or innocent people it's the same, cold blood kill, you do it and your soul is no more stained by it as it's part of your normal life, you just don't care about if it's bad or anything. For someone who is mature and can easily differentiate right and wrong, you can distantitate and decide if what you do is bad and if the character is a role model or not. But if you're 14-18 you just kill people and think it's a normal thing, even exciting, and sometimes great to kill plenty, even if it's old people or innocent bystanders. I find it a horrible way to draw yougsters to violence and make it feel like it's not important.

In SR2 vioelnce is so over the top and dialogues are just plain stupid (the lyrics of the rap songs are just so dumb they're funny) and the activities the character does makes you think about comedy movies rather than thug or dark movies. I enjoy SR2 as it's just dumb fun and kids will not one second mistake it for real life and take the violence as serious and stealing cars or doing things punished by the law as being "good" things you need to do to have your character improve his life and get satisfied with.

For gameplay, it's accessible enough to everyone, graphics are real nice, sound effects are solid, and choice of music is very varied.

To sum up GTA4 has been sooo ovehyped for a game that brings nothing to gameplay or cinematic experience and will make violence and crime things you don't have to care about and without consequences, while SR2 is very funny for people of all ages and felt like a game and distraction.

TheTenth10

Ooooooooooook Jack Thompson, Games dont kill people ignorant morons with too much time on their hands and kids just as stupid kill ppl. This shouldnt be a "realistic games desensitizes children" topic its just a "which game do you think is better" topic. GTAIV takes the throne in every way from the sense of euphoria you feel when you see the city for the first time to the grimace that comes over you when you kill someone for the first time. This game promised us alot of thing and it hardly ever dissappointed. Ive yet to see some movies come up with a storyline this good some of the phone missions seemed a little tacked on for the sake of it but they all did what saints row and the previous gta's failed to do and thats deliver a story unlike no other in the genre. They never promised rags to riches and they never promised a happy ending it was for what its worth a masterpeice and no other game in the genre has been that good. Niko was Serbian not Russian

lambalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 lambalot
Member since 2004 • 1798 Posts

Saints Row 2 wins it for me, fun gameplay, fun side missions, customization (cars, gang and character) and it had a radio station that didnt have rap music on it. GTA4 just didnt do it for me, the last GTA i enjoyed was Vice City.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

All I can say is SR2 >>>>>>> GTA4

GingerDeadMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GingerDeadMan
Member since 2009 • 807 Posts

In the long run I'd say I prefer Saint's Row 2, but GTA IV is much prettier and more realistic... you just can't top the fun and customization of the Saint's Row series.

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zack-X-X

In the long run I'd say I prefer Saint's Row 2, but GTA IV is much prettier and more realistic... you just can't top the fun and customization of the Saint's Row series.

GingerDeadMan
True, But it depends on what kind of gamer you are aswell. But, SR2's Graphics really spoiled it for me. When I buy games graphics is one of the most important aspects of them, Like Godfather II Graphics were average.
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I loved GTA IV. Saints Row 2 was complete crap.
BadLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BadLegend
Member since 2009 • 318 Posts
GTA4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SR2
Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zack-X-X
I loved GTA IV. Saints Row 2 was complete crap.x-2tha-z
Thank you! Finally you legend!
Avatar image for lions_rock_2008
lions_rock_2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lions_rock_2008
Member since 2005 • 1121 Posts

[QUOTE="GingerDeadMan"]

Zack-X-X

True, But it depends on what kind of gamer you are aswell. But, SR2's Graphics really spoiled it for me. When I buy games graphics is one of the most important aspects of them, Like Godfather II Graphics were average.

So wait... you say that graphics are an important part when you buy a game? and you bought GTAIV?

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Zack-X-X

[QUOTE="Zack-X-X"][QUOTE="GingerDeadMan"]

lions_rock_2008

So wait... you say that graphics are an important part when you buy a game? and you bought GTAIV?

Srsly, You obviously Don't Have GTA IV They have Revoloutionary Graphics.

hanslacher54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 hanslacher54
Member since 2007 • 3659 Posts

The graphics in SR2 really ruined the game

Zack-X-X

:roll:

But back to the point. The GTAs on the PS2 murder both of them. Saints Row 2 is better than GTA4 though. Way more to do, more gameplay, and more fun. GTA4 is more polished but it is way too realistic and it get boring once you beat it. Also it feels nothing like the older GTA games.

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Zack-X-X
[QUOTE="hanslacher54"]

[QUOTE="Zack-X-X"]

The graphics in SR2 really ruined the game

:roll:

But back to the point. The GTAs on the PS2 murder both of them. Saints Row 2 is better than GTA4 though. Way more to do, more gameplay, and more fun. GTA4 is more polished but it is way too realistic and it get boring once you beat it. Also it feels nothing like the older GTA games.

GTA IV Is boring when you finish true, But I have played so much That I know were the Gang Areas are, And How to identify there vechiles. If you look hard enough you can find the fun.
Avatar image for Javieralijandro
Javieralijandro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Javieralijandro
Member since 2009 • 2667 Posts

[QUOTE="Javieralijandro"]GTA4 sucked, saints row 2 was ehh, it looks to sim-ish. Which i hate sims, so saints rows suck as well in my book.Zack-X-X

Hmm.. So what your saying is you have no interest in either? So if thats the case.. Maybe you have not played GTA IV enough as I personally disagree with its 10.0 rating I think it deserves 9.5, But honestly, do you think GTA IV has no +'s to it. By instinct, I would think OG games arent your type, You tell me?

I have beaten gta4, the game is horrible. There is no customization like san andreas, it runs a 640p and it doesnt keep a stable frame rate. A big franchize shouldnt have an issue like not running at full HD. Story was boring, i had to force my self to finish it.
Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Zack-X-X
[QUOTE="Javieralijandro"][QUOTE="Zack-X-X"]

GTA4 sucked, saints row 2 was ehh, it looks to sim-ish. Which i hate sims, so saints rows suck as well in my book.Javieralijandro

I have beaten gta4, the game is horrible. There is no customization like san andreas, it runs a 640p and it doesnt keep a stable frame rate. A big franchize shouldnt have an issue like not running at full HD. Story was boring, i had to force my self to finish it.

Actually It Can, I had the prob with my HD TV. I go to Settings on ( The TV Menu ) Then Click , Full Screen. Then GTA IV is on Full Screen, Tada!
Racer850

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 Racer850
Member since 2009 • 2293 Posts
I thought SR2 was garbage, GTA IV was not as enjoyable as san andreas, but it's far superior compared with Saints row 2.
Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zack-X-X
I thought SR2 was garbage, GTA IV was not as enjoyable as san andreas, but it's far superior compared with Saints row 2.Racer850
True GTA IV Is way beta! And San ANdreas was really good online. On PC
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

I prefered Saints Row 2 over GTA IV but then again, I'm pretty confident Just Cause 2 is going to be much more my style than any of the two.

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zack-X-X

I prefered Saints Row 2 over GTA IV but then again, I'm pretty confident Just Cause 2 is going to be much more my style than any of the two.

QuebecSuperstar
I'm Confused Elaborate?
Avatar image for QuebecSuperstar
QuebecSuperstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 QuebecSuperstar
Member since 2006 • 4178 Posts

[QUOTE="QuebecSuperstar"]

Zack-X-X

I'm Confused Elaborate?

Elaborate on what?!

I prefered Saints Row 2 over GTA IV but I think that Just Cause 2 will be even better than Saints Row 2 or GTA IV (in my opinion).

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

Out of these two games, i'd say GTA IV was the better one.

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Zack-X-X

BattleSpectre
Do Ya Have both? Just a question. MOst people who do Elaborate on there Responses.
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts
i didn't like GTA4 so much. the missions got repetitive and boring after a while so i never really bothered to finish it haven't played SR2 though
BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

Zack-X-X

Do Ya Have both? Just a question. MOst people who do Elaborate on there Responses.

Yes, i do indeed own both games, and i didn't enjoy SR2 as much as i did GTA IV, just my personal opinion. :)

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Zack-X-X
[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

[QUOTE="Zack-X-X"][QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

Yes, i do indeed own both games, and i didn't enjoy SR2 as much as i did GTA IV, just my personal opinion. :)

Yeh Same, I never cbf to finish SR2 Cause It was so bad. When I get back on Monday from Holiday in NZ Ima get back on SR2, And FInish it up.
dan_gerous87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dan_gerous87
Member since 2007 • 785 Posts

They're both good, but it sucks that neither of them are as good as San Andreas considering SA is last-gen. But they do have the edge of playing online, which is all I use them for now after beating them.

I like SR2's online co-op because you can play the whole game through with a friend, but on the downside it's only 2 players max. & I like GTA's 18(?) player free-roam and 4 player co-op, but co-op's only a few short missions & in free-roam most people just treat it like Deathmatch.

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zack-X-X

They're both good, but it sucks that neither of them are as good as San Andreas considering SA is last-gen. But they do have the edge of playing online, which is all I use them for now after beating them.

I like SR2's online co-op because you can play the whole game through with a friend, but on the downside it's only 2 players max. & I like GTA's 18(?) player free-roam and 4 player co-op, but co-op's only a few short missions & in free-roam most people just treat it like Deathmatch.

dan_gerous87

I have not used SR2 Online, HOw is it? GTA IV's Free Roam Is Rediculous, I would prefer It if GTA IV Made there online as an Online Game essentially, It would getloads of buys if A game made an actual world with the graphic quality of GTA IV.

Ya cant do anything in Free-Roam Its just shoot em up essentially, Its bad.

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

i like GTA better. Saints Row is an good but not as good as GTA series

Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zack-X-X

i like GTA better. Saints Row is an good but not as good as GTA series

hiphopballer
GTA Series Was good but I'm mainly refering to GTA [IV]
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I enjoyed both of them... I replayed GTA4 like 3 or 4 times and never replayed SR2, but it was always fun to try to master the planes.
Zack-X-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zack-X-X
I enjoyed both of them... I replayed GTA4 like 3 or 4 times and never replayed SR2, but it was always fun to try to master the planes.MethodManFTW
Yeh GTA IV Didnt have planes like San Andreas. Sucks. I did GTA IV at a friends sleepova finished the game on 360. Overall done it 8x on PS3 and 1x on 360.
BudFudlacker09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BudFudlacker09
Member since 2009 • 163 Posts
Realism is no subtitute for good gameplay or replay value. GTA IV is an overhyped, overrated piece of crap and it's when GTA jumped the shark. The premise of SR 2's design--fun over realism--is superior to that of GTA IV, although it wasn't executed perfectly the way Rockstar did with the PS2 GTA games. So it lacks that polish, but it's still a more fun and entertaining game than GTA IV, even though it may lack depth.