Running a Linux on PS3

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Yendis66266

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Yendis66266
Member since 2005 • 185 Posts

I want to run a linux on my PS3 but I have a few questions and I dont know where to look.

1. Dose it allow you to run other gave types like a CD-Rom game like F.E.A.R.

2. Are you still able to play PS3 games

3. What benifets dose it give you.

I wanna Run Fedora Core and Where can I get it

hypnotoad8128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 hypnotoad8128
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts
If you are asking simple questions like that, then I wouldn't recommend you try and even attempt to install Linux on the PS3, you'll struggle.. P.S. There is an invention called google...Try it!
9mmSpliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 9mmSpliff
Member since 2005 • 21751 Posts
If you are asking simple questions like that, then I wouldn't recommend you try and even attempt to install Linux on the PS3, you'll struggle.. P.S. There is an invention called google...Try it!hypnotoad8128
everyone has to start somewhere, but yeah google is good, but why not ask on a game site, for PS3, where people may know. I mean afterall, GS is a top 5 gaming site.
The_Tombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 The_Tombo
Member since 2005 • 3537 Posts
yes and a forum is designed for people to have their questions answered among other things.
Nightflash28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Nightflash28
Member since 2004 • 2351 Posts
1. No, you can't run current PC games on the PS3 using Linux, at least nothing as graphically intensive as FEAR. Old games, you might get to run, but even then somewhat choppy. 2. Yes, you are still able to run PS3 games. Would be kinda pointless if you couldn't right? 3. Other benefits are that you've turned your gaming console into a computer, allowing you to install and run other kinds of software, such as Firefox, Open Office, media players... well, you name it. Whatever is available and works under Linux.
hellscovern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 hellscovern
Member since 2003 • 2872 Posts

I want to run a linux on my PS3 but I have a few questions and I dont know where to look.

1. Dose it allow you to run other gave types like a CD-Rom game like F.E.A.R.

2. Are you still able to play PS3 games

3. What benifets dose it give you.

I wanna Run Fedora Core and Where can I get it

Yendis66266

1. No you cant run Pc Games they are not designed to run on PS3 even with linux installed the hardware is different and even with linux you dont have acess to RSX so software has no way to use it.. there have been tests with Quake you can see vids on youtube.. it loaded in a very small window but the frame rate was below 10fps so it will be some time before you going to have PC games running at full speed if at all.

2. Yes you can still play PS3 games the PS3 OS is not removed you can choose which you want to use at boot up like any duel boot system, just boot into the PS3 OS and you can play your PS3 games.  

3. the benifits of Linux depends on what you want to do with it, some get it for emulation etc someone got a snes emulator working with it also you can stream audio and video from the PC to your PS3 and use more video and Audio formats than what the PS3 can do on it's own, word processing etc and there is bound to be much more as time goes on.. the only thig is Linux is not a easy thing to grasp it takes time to learn the commands etc so as long as your prepared for that.

Yendis66266

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Yendis66266
Member since 2005 • 185 Posts
Thanks guys I'm no noob, I'm quite good at computers. I just never woke up one morning and knew everything about installing a linux on my PS3 
DylanDJK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 DylanDJK
Member since 2005 • 2001 Posts

Well if your asking if Linux can run windows games, i wouldnt say your a pro at computers as Linux is like the Anti-windows. To acess the PS3 OS when you get to the kboot type in "boot-game-os" and that brings it to the PS3 interface. Honestly, I wouldn't reccommend Fedora core as it hasnt been implemented to the PS3 all that well yet, YDL is the easiest, most user friendly Linux out for the PS3 right now.

Also I wish I had the skill to get that Snes emulator working, I cant get it running. I'm trying to manuelly move the files around, but it wont read my roms, like i have the actual emulator up but i need to extract the rom files to a specific folder and forgot where it is :S. So when i get time to use my bro's HDTV again, i'll log in to root and try to mess around with it there. I got VLC media player working so im happy :).