Rumor - Next Sony system is to be called Omni

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MusashiSensi (9583 posts) -

https://www.facebook.com/4geekslikeu

What do you guys think? You can also check out another link here that I found with a bit more on the rumor.

http://gamingbolt.com/playstation-4-to-be-called-omni-games-include-killzone-4-grand-turismo-wipeout-and-more-rumor

#2 Posted by lensflare15 (6182 posts) -

Don't like the name, but I'm not surprised that they'd pick something like that after the naming of the Vita.

The pictures look horrible, though, so I doubt there is much to this rumor.

#3 Posted by NodakJo2010 (1060 posts) -

I call bogus...although it wouldn't surprise me, but I am not buying it.

#4 Posted by SoNin360 (5634 posts) -
Yeah they should just go with Playstation 4...
#5 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Don't know why they'd change the name when the Playstation brand is so established.

#6 Posted by MethodManFTW (25983 posts) -
If they don't stick with PS4, I think will keep it as PS Orbis to complete the circle of life thing with the Vita.
#7 Posted by Lucky_Krystal (1390 posts) -

Thought it was going to be called Orbis. :?

#8 Posted by Dogswithguns (10880 posts) -

Lucky_Krystal
I liked that.. sounds like something out of this world.. )
#9 Posted by KrazyC18 (1535 posts) -
Yeah they should just go with Playstation 4...SoNin360
The biggest problem everyone sees with this is the idea of how the number 4 is considered highly unlucky/ very close to "death" in Japanese culture...
#10 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
...rumor.MusashiSensi
'Nough said.
#11 Posted by SoNin360 (5634 posts) -
[QUOTE="SoNin360"]Yeah they should just go with Playstation 4...KrazyC18
The biggest problem everyone sees with this is the idea of how the number 4 is considered highly unlucky/ very close to "death" in Japanese culture...

Interesting... wasn't aware. In that case Orbis>Omni, though I can't see "Playstation" being completely dropped.
#12 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

Lucky_Krystal

That's just the codename for the development of the next console. I bet in the end it will just be the PS4.

#13 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -
Next they'll say playstation omelette.
#14 Posted by supa_badman (16658 posts) -

fkn musashi comes out of NOWHERE and posts first time in like a year for ps4 rumours lol

Good to see you musashi, and Omni sounds kinda cool imo

#15 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

RUMOR - next sony console is going to be called Playstation 4

#16 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

It's a little better than Orbis but I still say they're nuts not to call it the PS4. Make up some stupid name for it in Japan if 4 is an unlucky number, but don't burden the whole world with your superstitions.

#17 Posted by jeffster85 (2286 posts) -

RUMOR - next sony console is going to be called Playstation 4

AmnesiaHaze
no wai!!!!
#18 Posted by jeffster85 (2286 posts) -
wouldn't mind it being something like Playstation X. but considering the Xbox, that won't happen. I just want them to keep Playstation in the name, whatever it ends up being.
#19 Posted by dalger21 (1246 posts) -
I seriously doubt that is it. I can't see them straying from PS4 and those pictures look photoshopped like they usually are
#20 Posted by Sokol4ever (6310 posts) -

Personally, PlayStation 4 sounds fantastic to me. It's instantly recognizable to those folks who had any of the consoles in the past (Or all three in my case and other fellow gamers).

Omni is a interesting idea but I would personally love to see just - PS4.

#21 Posted by planbfreak4eva (2872 posts) -

they should just call it playstation. without the 4. it will feel fresh and rebranded. kind of.

#22 Posted by aamirshahji01 (24 posts) -
when will they release playstation 4?
#23 Posted by pspitus (2396 posts) -

Playstation Omni? At least it sounds like a cyborg/robot. I mean it could work, but what about the tradition of just slapping single digits at the end whenever they come out with a new console? :P

#24 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1860 posts) -

Playstation Omni controller... the omni tool :o

Shepard__s_Omni_Tool_by_BlackSheep64.png

#25 Posted by Lach0121 (9941 posts) -

It's a little better than Orbis but I still say they're nuts not to call it the PS4. Make up some stupid name for it in Japan if 4 is an unlucky number, but don't burden the whole world with your superstitions.

Jackc8

Umm This is all well and good in theory, until we remember how many religious (of all different "faiths") zealots are trying to force their beliefs, and values on others.

Orbis sounds nice, Omni leaves little room for improvement in the name, for successor systems. Meaning what succeeds Omni, what term succeeds omni?

BTW Pic is more than likely bogus, it is not a new pick, also the new ps4 dev kits were shipped out recently WITH a blu-ray drive. (which that picture doesn't look like it has)

#26 Posted by Pandora012 (31 posts) -

Personally I'm just going to call it the PS4.

#27 Posted by planbfreak4eva (2872 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jackc8"]

Lach0121

Umm This is all well and good in theory, until we remember how many religious (of all different "faiths") zealots are trying to force their beliefs, and values on others.

Orbis sounds nice, Omni leaves little room for improvement in the name, for successor systems. Meaning what succeeds Omni, what term succeeds omni?

BTW Pic is more than likely bogus, it is not a new pick, also the new ps4 dev kits were shipped out recently WITH a blu-ray drive. (which that picture doesn't look like it has)

no chance it will be named omni. everyone would just call the new ps, Omnivore then. thats not call. and orbis is some orbiting weird name. in my understanding, those are just code names of projects. like project durango. no chance the new xbox will be called durango. they might aswell just name it johnny depp
#28 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18415 posts) -
It took them forever to make Gran Turismo.. doubt they'll have one as a launch title.. unless they spent the last 5 years making it. As for rumors.. meh, i dont believe anything unless it's official and from Sony. Too many rumors and a lot of obviously never going to happen.
#29 Posted by Alter_Echo (10722 posts) -

It'll be called Playstation 4/PS4. There is NO logical reason to expect otherwise. Anyone who says it will be called anything else is full of ****.

#30 Posted by mjf249 (2876 posts) -

Sony would really create a marketing disaster if it made that move, considering everybody knows what a PlayStation is.

#31 Posted by undeadgoon (616 posts) -

I think all these roumers are getting boring...

But idm what they call it as long as its awesome..!!

#32 Posted by Crossel777 (5684 posts) -

The playstation name doesn't really hold that much ground anymore and has been tarnished by Sony's failures. They need to start over with something new if they hope to be successful.

#33 Posted by mav_destroyer (3062 posts) -
Well, they're already on bad terms with Apple, they should throw caution to the wind and just call it iStation.
#34 Posted by MusashiSensi (9583 posts) -

fkn musashi comes out of NOWHERE and posts first time in like a year for ps4 rumours lol

Good to see you musashi, and Omni sounds kinda cool imo

supa_badman
What's up, bro? I've been working on my group (4 GEEKS LIKE YOU) & doing some music for some online anime/games.
#35 Posted by osirisx3 (2008 posts) -
i think orbis goes well with vita. orbis= circle vita=life
#36 Posted by Megavideogamer (5501 posts) -

I would just like Sony to continue with Playstation 4. But since four is Bad luck in Japan. having an unlucky number 4 in the name of Sonys new console will not happen.

Playstation Onmi I don't really care for the sound of that name. But It seems that Sony is adding suffix names to their Playstation products. Playstation Vita. Which should have just been Playstation Portable 2.

So Since the number 4 is bad luck in Japan. Then Playstation Omni is it. At least it is better than Obris