reviews, updates and Escape Plan

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by crazypal (507 posts) -

Hi kids happy holidays. this is my first topic that isn't just trying to throw a problem at ya and ask for a solution :)

anywho , I wanna talk about reviewing games' reviews :)

I'm not one of these guys who would stir hell over a review no matter how much I disagree with it but lately I've been thinking ... this day and age of gaming is quite different from what it used to be at the 80s and 90s or heck even at day of PS2.

it differs in lotta things and one of them is the "UPDATES" . Now yes having the ability to update a game made some developers lazy and had them release their stuff half baked thinking "well we can always squash the bugs with a patch". but that's only half the story . some games got huge improvements through "updates".

for example Escape Plan was dissed so much and lost so many points due to the "only touch controls", now the last update introduced alot of "buttons control", you could walk, run and fart with buttons.

my Question is don't ya think that reviewers should also be less lazy and try to "UPDATE" thier reviews? I know that 90% of the updates doesn't change much but that's all the more reason to give credit to the updates that do make a change.

and speaking of reviewers especially our guys here at gamespot I think they're becoming really lazy specifically when it comes to vita. lots of games unreviewd : SF X Tekken, Ragnarok Odyssey , Dokuro etc, etc however I'm gonna have to admit that if I listend to Reviews in general I woulda missed on lots of great games like Gravity Rush, Golden Abyss and PS all stars

in case of Escape plan it's now an even better experience with these controls , lotta irrelevant but funny free costumes for the holidays and now with the discount it definitely deserves couple of more points and I think you should give it a try.

What do ya all think? Happy Holidays :)

#2 Posted by Ovirew (6393 posts) -

I think you're probably right about games being worthy of a score review after updates and changes are made to the game... But I don't think game reviewers should really be forced to go back and take a look at every game that receives an update, as unfair as that may be to gamers and the game.

You'd be asking an awful lot of the reviewer, to return to each and every game every time something new is added to it, or something is changed. Reviewing expansions and DLC might be one thing, but it's more difficult to review patches and other incremental updates. Imagine what it would be like if we expected game reviewers to review WOW, and then update their review score everytime there is an update. Chances are, that review score would change pretty frequently like the stock market.

I have Escape Plan, I think it's a pretty fun game. I enjoyed it before the new controls were added to it, and really just noticed them the last time I played it. I might have begun to use them a bit since the update, I don't recall. But I still found myself using the touch screen controls more than anything, I think because that's what the game was built around - the various control methods of the Vita. While the new controls might solve issues the reviewers originally had with the game, I don't think it's going to change their opinions of EP that much.

#3 Posted by d_parker (1715 posts) -

Not a fan of second chance reviews.

Companies that can't release a fully functional game right out of the gate, deserve to have their game tank.

As for Escape Plan, I notice there are plenty of add-ons for it and quite a few messages about how much better it is now. Maybe I'm just cynical but I have to wonder how many of these posts about the game are from people with a financial interest in the game.

#4 Posted by crazypal (507 posts) -

Not a fan of second chance reviews.

Companies that can't release a fully functional game right out of the gate, deserve to have their game tank.

As for Escape Plan, I notice there are plenty of add-ons for it and quite a few messages about how much better it is now. Maybe I'm just cynical but I have to wonder how many of these posts about the game are from people with a financial interest in the game.

d_parker

well, I will acknowledge that you have a point that people who do their games half baked deserve to be called for it.
still if you have 2 companies that released their products "incomplete" and only one of them listened to the fans and made improvements, which company deserves extra points in your opinion?

regarding your doubts about people saying positive things being paid, this is a two ways road I could say people with negative remarks are being paid by other competitors :)
but in all seriousness this game is so small a project that I do not think anyone would go so far as to pay people to make it look better. I am not even saying that we should say it's great just for the sake of it, I am saying that gamers deserve to know that some issues were dealt with and have the chance to enjoy it.

personally I said it once and I will say it again, for 7.5 dollars this game was well worth it but now that it's back to its original price ..... I don't know although IGN think that it's worth it even before the updates.

#5 Posted by crazypal (507 posts) -

I think you're probably right about games being worthy of a score review after updates and changes are made to the game... But I don't think game reviewers should really be forced to go back and take a look at every game that receives an update, as unfair as that may be to gamers and the game.

You'd be asking an awful lot of the reviewer, to return to each and every game every time something new is added to it, or something is changed. Reviewing expansions and DLC might be one thing, but it's more difficult to review patches and other incremental updates. Imagine what it would be like if we expected game reviewers to review WOW, and then update their review score everytime there is an update. Chances are, that review score would change pretty frequently like the stock market.

I have Escape Plan, I think it's a pretty fun game. I enjoyed it before the new controls were added to it, and really just noticed them the last time I played it. I might have begun to use them a bit since the update, I don't recall. But I still found myself using the touch screen controls more than anything, I think because that's what the game was built around - the various control methods of the Vita. While the new controls might solve issues the reviewers originally had with the game, I don't think it's going to change their opinions of EP that much.

Ovirew

I guess you are right. it's too much of a hassle for reviewers. it was only a thought I liked to share and I thought EP deserved a good word.
I don't know if these changes would've changed the mind of the reviewer at Gamespot but at IGN they were very vocal regarding some unresponsive touch controls and the gestures ranking system, both of which have been remedied by the various updates. I guess if IGN were to review it again , it'd earn a 9 :)
although I guess an 8 is a very fair evaluation for this little survivor humor game.

#6 Posted by Ovirew (6393 posts) -

Yeah, I will say that I'm surprised Escape Plan isn't more popular. I think it's right up there with other big downloadable games like Mutant Blobs and Dokuro, but I think it's up to other gamers to just try it out for themselves. I had several people tell me Mutant Blobs was a good game, but it wasn't until I tried it for myself that I agreed.