Resident Evil 6: What went wrong?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Tigerman950

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 Tigerman950
Member since 2005 • 2516 Posts

If reviews are anything to base off of, what exactly went wrong with RE6 from people who have played it so far? I haven't played it yet but I really enjoyed RE4, and that was named Game of the Year on GameSpot if I remember correctly. Is it as bad as Gamespot says it is (4.5/10) or is it actually worth playing?

And for the record Gamespot isn't the only site to give it a bad review, apparently there were several others.

Dysantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Dysantic
Member since 2003 • 1624 Posts
It's gotten too generic. It was survival horror before. I'll never forget in RE2 when me and some friends were playing late at night with the lights turned off when that guy jumped through the wall at us at one point. It was that kind of game where you were running around, not knowing where they were going to come from next that made it fun. Now it's just a generic 3rd person shooter if anything, littered with quicktime events during video segments (which are far too frequent from what I understand). They just strayed too far away from the core gameplay that made the original RE's so much fun if you ask me.
MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#3 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

I don't put to much stock in reviews, but since I played the demo I'm in total agreement. You haven't tried the demo yet?

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

After playing the demo online with a friend, I immediately cancelled my preorder. While I understand this is an evolution of the series, it felt so damn frustrating. I spent half the time fighting with the camera than the enemies and everything was so dark, especially in Leon's portion and those fake 'barriers' in your path are so last generation.

There's no reason why you can climb on top of a desk, but you can't STEP OVER a bench in the hallway to proceed. The revamped inventory system was also another exercise in patience. It took me a while to figure out how to use my herbs and combine them. I wish it was more intuitive off the bat. The whole experience left a sour taste in my mouth and playing the game felt like a chore, and Chris' campaign felt like a Gears of War DLC staring RE characters.

Regardless of my opinions, we all know the game will sell millions and it will be defended till the end of time as a good game. I'll just wait for the inevitable "insert name here" edition next year with all the DLC for $40. That game isn't worth my $60, a lesson I should have learned when I paid $60 for Resident Evil 5 and beat it the same day online with a friend.

waldo6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 waldo6
Member since 2004 • 122 Posts

Is going to sell millions just because it says RE in hte title. Im really sad that an amazing franchise is getting more and more generic.

I enjoyed every RE to RE4 (i liked RE5 but it was a bit meh) is a sad day for RE fans.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
I bought the game, and I have been having a blast. I'm 2 and a half hours in, playing Leon's campaign, and it's great, but it does have some generic moments. Some segments are a little boring, but for the most part it's really enjoyable, with a nice atmosphere.
arsenal1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 arsenal1111
Member since 2004 • 168 Posts
Regardless of my opinions, we all know the game will sell millions and it will be defended till the end of time as a good game.Sophette
For this game; not a chance. It's currently sitting pretty with a 0.5 average user score (from thousands of score) on Metacritic and judging from forums that I've visited, the general consensus amongst fans is that it is a genuine generic/mediocre game. Which is a shame; I was really looking forward to the game. I will still get it but in a year's time or something where it's cheap and I don't feel cheated out of my money.
csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

dont understand why it received a low score like that. I find it so much more fun than RE5...I am almost 3 hours in and I am having a blast with it so far. No issues at the moment.

PolygonBust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PolygonBust
Member since 2011 • 239 Posts

I'm kind of glad it failed, now people know what us old school RE fans are talking about.

People buy RE for the survival horror, not for a mediocre action game with zombies/monsters (with guns lol). Capcom just took out everything that was original and groundbreaking about the series and so has to directly compete with the other action shooters that release at the same time (and we know how much of those are around this gen).

So congrats "new school" fans, on letting Capcom kill another once great series.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
Well one thing's for sure, ever since this "controversial" review popped up, it's made me curious to see who is right: Kevin's one review, or the tens of other reviews that have rated it higher. Added to Gamefly queue ;)
SNESMaster420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SNESMaster420
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts

Honestly, I have a very strong feeling that most of the people who will trash talk this game into the ground will be those who never even play it. It is a good game with high production values. I picked it up last night and so far it is $ well spent. Just because it carries the RE name and people want this or that people are being unfair. Capcom said it best when they said they can't please everyone.

zyphyr2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 zyphyr2k12
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts
I picked it up yesterday and I think it's ok so far. Better than 5, I can actually play the game in single player this time.
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#13 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Too many cut scenes,button prompts and also that fac that you have to do alot of running. The inventory also sucks as well and sometimes it's so dark you can't even see what's coming at you.

I just can't believe how bad RE has gotten after RE4 because that was a masterpiece and the best in the series.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts
[QUOTE="Sophette"]Regardless of my opinions, we all know the game will sell millions and it will be defended till the end of time as a good game.arsenal1111
For this game; not a chance. It's currently sitting pretty with a 0.5 average user score (from thousands of score) on Metacritic and judging from forums that I've visited, the general consensus amongst fans is that it is a genuine generic/mediocre game. Which is a shame; I was really looking forward to the game. I will still get it but in a year's time or something where it's cheap and I don't feel cheated out of my money.

and MW3 got a 1.0 or something like that... most of those scores for RE6 were out like 1 hour after it released. You CANNOT take that seriously...
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
i doubt its really worth 4.5/10 I mean GT gave it 8.8 (the only review site which actually has my taste) so i dont think it will be that bad. (I liked re5 btw)
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
so much shooter and fighting style not great graphics after 3.5 years waiting the good part for me long chapters better atmosphere with RE5 and intersting story
sssb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 sssb
Member since 2003 • 522 Posts

If reviews are anything to base off of, what exactly went wrong with RE6 from people who have played it so far? I haven't played it yet but I really enjoyed RE4, and that was named Game of the Year on GameSpot if I remember correctly. Is it as bad as Gamespot says it is (4.5/10) or is it actually worth playing?

And for the record Gamespot isn't the only site to give it a bad review, apparently there were several others.

Tigerman950
nothing wrong go buy it GS just crazy
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

It's not the fact that it's a bad game, to lots of people it's fun and looks good and a good story, the fact is, it's not a great game and it isn't resident Evil, just like someone said in another comment, they will never forget resi 2 when a guy jumps through a wall at you or my personal favourite once you make it through town and you go into the shop and your collecting ammo and all of sudden they come through the window and you fight your way out into the policestation to find your police cheif dying in the office but you know he's been infected, and you need to try and help him and you walk down the corridor and you just see a glimmer of something crawl passed the window and your just not sure what it is until a few corridors later and 2 lickers burst through, that's what we want randomness in the game, to creep us out and an actual survival horror, it's them moments of not knowing which made resident evil, why can this not be done today??? why does it need to just be action based third person shooter, surely they can come up with a game like resi4 with all it's new mechanics and still make it scary, it can't be that hard, thats why the score's are low, and their is a big divide with reviews.

me personally agree with the gamespot review more than any other due to the fact he is reviewing it as a resident evil game to the franchise and not just a standalone game,

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#19 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

To be honest I think Kevin didn't do a bad job reviewing it.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
.Its pretty hilarious.. Capcom claimed that they listened to the fans and they went back to their roots.. Day 1 release: Resident Evil 6 disproves that they listened to the fans at all and they didn't go back to their roots, they progressed more to the run and gun..
Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts
.Its pretty hilarious.. Capcom claimed that they listened to the fans and they went back to their roots.. Day 1 release: Resident Evil 6 disproves that they listened to the fans at all and they didn't go back to their roots, they progressed more to the run and gun.. sSubZerOo
Capcom listens to their fans as much as Square Enix does. = "We hear you but we're not listening!"
ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

Nothing "went wrong" with RE6, it is just that people expect WAY TOO MUCH.

I kinda thought that same as some others about the demo. The demo does suck compared to the actual game itself, as I almost didn't get the game because of that demo but I am glad that I did. If you haven't played the full retail game then you really haven't played the game.

I think that RE6 is somewhat better than RE5, and yes I have played/owned all the RE games including RE: Operation Raccoon City.

I give RE6 a 9/10.

Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"].Its pretty hilarious.. Capcom claimed that they listened to the fans and they went back to their roots.. Day 1 release: Resident Evil 6 disproves that they listened to the fans at all and they didn't go back to their roots, they progressed more to the run and gun.. Sophette
Capcom listens to their fans as much as Square Enix does. = "We hear you but we're not listening!"

Very good. I was about to say there's a difference between "hearing" and "listening."
arsenal1111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 arsenal1111
Member since 2004 • 168 Posts

Nothing "went wrong" with RE6, it is just that people expect WAY TOO MUCH.

ghstbstr

You are so out of touch with fans of RE that you shouldn't even take the time to comment on this.

Chaos_Bladez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Chaos_Bladez
Member since 2007 • 5801 Posts
It lack any coherent vision. It wants to be everything but does nothing completely right.
ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

[QUOTE="ghstbstr"]Nothing "went wrong" with RE6, it is just that people expect WAY TOO MUCH.

arsenal1111

You are so out of touch with fans of RE that you shouldn't even take the time to comment on this.

You obviously didn't read the rest of my post, because if you did you would have seen that I am a fan of the RE series since the first game.

Here is the rest of my post that you didn't read:

"I kinda thought that same as some others about the demo. The demo does suck compared to the actual game itself, as I almost didn't get the game because of that demo but I am glad that I did. If you haven't played the full retail game then you really haven't played the game.

I think that RE6 is somewhat better than RE5, and yes I have played/owned all the RE games including RE: Operation Raccoon City.

I give RE6 a 9/10."

Sokol4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 Sokol4ever
Member since 2007 • 6717 Posts

Is it really so difficult to write a good survival story and incorporate Resident Evil 4 mechanics with Resident Evil 2,3 elements.. That's what the fans were asking for..not another version of RE5 with more gun-play, action oriented emphasis..

It seems to me Capcom is listening, however they are ignoring everything being written and said.

That's too bad, the new direction might appeal to new crowd of gamers to an extent but I won't be in that list. For better or worse, time will tell.

POKE777GM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 POKE777GM
Member since 2009 • 53 Posts

Screw the reviews, Kevin hates all the good games.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Screw the reviews, Kevin hates all the good games.

POKE777GM
This... I watched gameplay on Youtube and it was awesome.
demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 demon-zer0
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

In my opinion it is good that the game gets bad reviews :) It means RE6 will get very soon a price drop, and more people (including me) will buy it. Most of us know that RE6 is a great game, despite any reviews :)

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

In my opinion it is good that the game gets bad reviews :) It means RE6 will get very soon a price drop, and more people (including me) will buy it. Most of us know that RE6 is a great game, despite any reviews :)

demon-zer0

yea, just wait for it to get cheap.

Im playing it atm, already completed Leon & Chris campaign..just started Jake's campaign. Its ok ..nothing great, felt more like a mish mash (looked other action games, hey let's combine them together) of everything together.