Resident Evil 5 - How Ya Like Me NOW?!?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

So in the wake of all the hubbub about RE6, I am playing RE5 again... And though i have been critical of this game in the past, it now seems like the lesser Evil... Or greater Evil, you might say.

I really like this game as an RE game, and in retrospect, it seems more in keeping with the series than ever. Kinda weird to hear myself say something like that, because I'm one of those fanboys of RE who doesn't prefer the RE4/5 kind of gameplay... But this is a really great game.

So, RE fans... Do you like the RE5? Would you like to see the series return to RE5-land?

Please leave comments!!!

#2 Posted by Shinobi7777 (1064 posts) -

The ideal is to go back to making RE look like Resident Evil: Code Veronica(the last great RE in my opinion). They did it with RE4 before revamping the whole game to make it look like it did.

It was a stab to RE fans' backs.

#3 Posted by 2Chalupas (5048 posts) -

The ideal is to go back to making RE look like Resident Evil: Code Veronica(the last great RE in my opinion). They did it with RE4 before revamping the whole game to make it look like it did.

Shinobi7777

Code Veronica is VERY dated in the gameplay department. I agree it might be the last great one, but they are not going to go back to that style of gameplay.

I am not getting RE6, but to me it seems like the "interuptions" in gameplay with cutscenes and QTE's just keep getting worse and worse with each iteration starting with RE4. With RE4 it didn't hurt the game much, but to me the QTE's were slightly annoying even back then. Now it just seems like the QTE's are taking over. I don't know about how RE6 is paced, but the way the reviewer makes it sound it's like 1 minute of gameplay, then 2 minute cutscene, then 1 minute where you are forced to "walk" in a linear path, then another cutscene, etc. I can't stand that crap. If they are going to do cuscenes it needs to be paced better. I.e. 20 minutes of gameplay, and then maybe 2 minute cutscene with QTE. However I would rather they just did away with cutscenes entirely, and perhaps went back to making an "open" style Resident Evil where the focus is all on the gameplay itself.

#4 Posted by volume_three (2142 posts) -

Anything prior to 4 = double thumbs up

That which came after = double digitus medius

#5 Posted by Essian (3435 posts) -

there is no option for : Yes, but it I'd prefer they didn't do that again. I didn't hate the game, in fact I actually liked it and beat it 3 or 4 times, but I like RE6 more, and I am glad they went away from that. **** I wish they would make an entire game that was like Leon's campaign in RE6... that game would be awesome

#6 Posted by Shinobi7777 (1064 posts) -

[QUOTE="Shinobi7777"]

2Chalupas

Code Veronica is VERY dated in the gameplay department. I agree it might be the last great one, but they are not going to go back to that style of gameplay.

I am not getting RE6, but to me it seems like the "interuptions" in gameplay with cutscenes and QTE's just keep getting worse and worse with each iteration starting with RE4. With RE4 it didn't hurt the game much, but to me the QTE's were slightly annoying even back then. Now it just seems like the QTE's are taking over. I don't know about how RE6 is paced, but the way the reviewer makes it sound it's like 1 minute of gameplay, then 2 minute cutscene, then 1 minute where you are forced to "walk" in a linear path, then another cutscene, etc. I can't stand that crap. If they are going to do cuscenes it needs to be paced better. I.e. 20 minutes of gameplay, and then maybe 2 minute cutscene with QTE. However I would rather they just did away with cutscenes entirely, and perhaps went back to making an "open" style Resident Evil where the focus is all on the gameplay itself.

If it's so dated how come the HD remakes are selling so well?

#7 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

Resident Evil camps will forever be split, the developers will never be able to please any faction no matter what they do now. I wonder if Resident Evil has a series would ever have an identity anymore, it just looks like a teenager struggling to fit in

#8 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

I posted a user review of Resident Evil 5 last night, have a look and you will see just how I feel about the game. http://au.gamespot.com/resident-evil-5/user-reviews/801007/platform/ps3/

#9 Posted by saskayz (9 posts) -

I rather have them go to the RE4 formula and scrap the co op all together. I tried playing RE5 solo and the game is simply annoying with the moronic AI =\. I don`t expect any better from RE6.

#10 Posted by jordonj (1069 posts) -
I never got into the RE series after Re2. You might argue that since I never tried it, I really can't criticize it. I would agree too. But the truth is that the series has held no interest for me after that game. I don't know why, it just hasn't. Unfortunately, Capcom has been having really bad QC as of late. They've lost their mojo.
#11 Posted by Vatusus (4597 posts) -

I'd prefer an RE like RE4. Alone, no partner bs, with the over-the-shoulder view, item menu just like RE4 and an misterious environment like RE4. Hell, just give me an RE4-2 and I'll be happy

#12 Posted by newown (1421 posts) -
I just realized that RE5 has the smartest gameplay experience and RE1,2,3 have the best horror experience and the in-game puzzle solving ideology.
#13 Posted by white_sox (18198 posts) -

I rather have them go to the RE4 formula and scrap the co op all together. I tried playing RE5 solo and the game is simply annoying with the moronic AI =\. I don`t expect any better from RE6.

saskayz
The AI is much better. I've only beat Leon's campaign, but you never have to babysit like you did in RE5.
#14 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

RE5 was great for 2/3's of the game.

#15 Posted by thedarklinglord (662 posts) -
I always liked RE5. My only real criticisms of the game were 1) the inability to move and shoot at the same time and 2) the lack of true zombies and the old school RE creepy atmosphere. That's really all what I wanted from RE6, that next evolution in gameplay while returning to the true zombie/horror roots of the original games. Something more akin to the Dead Space series, but within the RE universe. Basically, something like "Lost in Nightmares" from RE5, but stretched to a full-length game, with a few more puzzles but also a lot more enemies to kill - either by just straight up gunning them down or dispatching them through environment-based pseudo-puzzles. Or just an unapologetic Gears of War clone with an RE skin. I wouldn't have loved that as much, but if it was a polished and effective third-person shooter with RE zombies and creatures and characters? I easily could've enjoyed it and supported Capcom's decision to go that route with the franchise.
#16 Posted by ez_moneymaker (1211 posts) -
I liked 5. I like all of em. Capcom did listen to fans in RE6. U can shoot and move at same time, and has a little old RE horror. If this was the same gameplay from 2 ppl would be complaining that its unoriginal. Also the sayers who say 1, or 2 is the best with the zombies must not of beaten the games cuz there were way more then just zombies. All kinds of creatures. Its not the same RE game. None of em ever are besides 1, and 2. The viruses are getting stronger. The only thing i really want was another Jill game. RE0 was a great game but i didnt like it cuz it felt same ol same ol. Didnt feel like anything good but story. Really when i think bout it, it shouldnt of, its before the events in 1. I hated the two person style. Now that i went back to play it again i really liked it now
#17 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
Once I got the platinum for RE5, I was finished forever with that game.
#18 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -
RE5 wasn't a good game in my opinion. The first half or so is tolerable in most situations, but the latter half is an abomination. It also terribly straddled a line of action and horror. It wasn't scary or tense AT ALL but retained that control scheme and it wanted to be an action game. RE5 just felt soulless and poorly designed. I have yet to play RE6.
#19 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

So in the wake of all the hubbub about RE6, I am playing RE5 again... And though i have been critical of this game in the past, it now seems like the lesser Evil... Or greater Evil, you might say.

I really like this game as an RE game, and in retrospect, it seems more in keeping with the series than ever. Kinda weird to hear myself say something like that, because I'm one of those fanboys of RE who doesn't prefer the RE4/5 kind of gameplay... But this is a really great game.

So, RE fans... Do you like the RE5? Would you like to see the series return to RE5-land?

Please leave comments!!!

PROPS to the Techs here on GameSpot for FIXING the website. It's running MUCH better... So in the wake of all the crap, I thought I would give credit where it's due. THANK YOU GAMESPOT FOR LISTENING FINALLY!!!

MonkeySpot

I like RE6 just how it is, and I can't say if I like RE5 better or not.

What did Gamespot do? I have to ask, because on forums for games you have to post through GameFAQs and that is not better as that is worse.

#20 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

I think that RE4 and RE5 fit well into the pantheon of RE games, and that in time, with some distance I have found, personally, that the games are very derserving of the name... The Plagas storyline is incorporated into the films and all of the rest of the newer games and I really like them as a mutation. I think they're pretty grotesque and I DO indeed feel some dread moving from place to place in RE5. I think if I don't like anything about the game, it's the Tomb Raider feel of the second act.

That, and I think Sheeva can be as dumb as a bag of hammers.

I think after this, I'm going to go back and play RE4, and see what my perceptions of the game are now that the new game has changed things. I wonder if, in time, with perspective the new game (RE6) might not meet more favorably.

Just trying to find a positive spin, with my change in perspective on RE5 and it's proper inclusion into the series.

:)

I think I would go so far as to call RE5 some decent, if subtly mutated, Survival Horror. I'm on a kick now, I'll probably do "RE: Zero" after that, maybe some "REmake" since I'll have the GameCube out... Some "Code Veronica"...

:D

#21 Posted by TomatoDragonPSN (531 posts) -
I have RE 6, but havent played it yet. Currently, RE5 is my favorite of the series.
#22 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -
I have RE 6, but havent played it yet. Currently, RE5 is my favorite of the series.TomatoDragonPSN
...Over RE4? That's cool if that's what you think. I'm just curious.
#23 Posted by CTR360 (7040 posts) -
after RE 4 series going worst RE 5 and RE6 are good games but its not even close compare the old RE fantastic games i prefer RE veronica
#24 Posted by wwefanforlife (3247 posts) -

I like Resident Evil 5 apart from the crappy AI especially when the AI takes all the bullets and wastes them and always ending up getting killed all the time.

Resident Evil 6 is an improvement at least the AI is helpful and the AI has unlimited ammo. The Quick Time Events are annoying and it has far too many of them and the skill points feature is annoying especially when I needed to find bullets during Chris and Piers campaign. I like the idea how the game is broken up into 4 stories following different characters it's just a shame Jill isn't in RE6. Quick Time Events should be banned from games I don't understand how anybody could like them.

Resident Evil Revelations is better then Resident Evil 5 and 6 since it brought back some of the original gameplay from the original RE games and Raid Mode was a nice addition.

#25 Posted by SNESMaster420 (1335 posts) -

Monkey, I know you will like RE 6 when you play it, because I know you are a huge fan of the RE universe. Honestly, the only lame thing in the game to me is the abundance of quicktime events. They are not a big deal though. Some are done alot better than in other games. RE 5 is sweet though too. I never understood the hate for that game either. Play games, have fun!

#26 Posted by KHAndAnime (13636 posts) -
RE5 is pretty crappy still, unfortunately. - Terrible character handling - Not scary - Game tries too hard to be a Hollywood action movie - Simplistic, shallow gameplay
#27 Posted by anime_gamer007 (6142 posts) -

Shinobi7777
Ummm, RE4 kinda made the series relevant again and revolutionized two genres, I'd hardly call that a stab in the back.
#28 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

RE5 is pretty crappy still, unfortunately. - Terrible character handling - Not scary - Game tries too hard to be a Hollywood action movie - Simplistic, shallow gameplayKHAndAnime

You forgot a few points:

• Sheva has the IQ of a retarted dog.
  • Sheva's accent changes halfway through the game.
  • The inventory system.
#29 Posted by Z-Fatalis (1122 posts) -

Anything prior to 4 = double thumbs up

That which came after = double digitus medius

volume_three
#30 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

RE 5 is an excellent game. I've never understood the complaints about Sheva's AI. The vast bulk of my time has been spent playing solo and I've found Sheva to be more than capable of holding her own, particularly with a little attention to item management.

I'm having a great time with RE 6 and I think I may end up enjoying it more than the previous game. Could use a little graphical polish, though.

#31 Posted by Vickman178 (1035 posts) -

Resident Evil 5 is a masterpeice, NUFF SAID.

#32 Posted by ghstbstr (8790 posts) -

Resident Evil 5 is a masterpeice, NUFF SAID.Vickman178

umm... I wouldn't go that far. It was/is a really good game, but no where near being a masterpiece.

#33 Posted by ssj_neo (162 posts) -

Did not really like the co-op in that game and it was more of the same but alot less scarier and seemed like pure action. It was a good game but not on re4 levels. I played the re6 demo and despite the camera I'm really love all the changes to the gameplay. Mercenaries is gonna be awesome

#34 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

Resident Evil 5 is a masterpeice, NUFF SAID.

Vickman178
Resident Evil 5? Masterpiece?, those words shouldn't even go together.
#35 Posted by Liquid_ (2594 posts) -

My only complaint about RE6 is I don't feel as satisfied when putting my enemies to rest and the constant turning around to find myself surrounded

#36 Posted by Tropicalshower (10813 posts) -

RE5 was a solid game(tbh my opinion hasn't changed), but it wasn't up to par with RE4, which gets hated a lot because it "ruined" the RE formula. Personally I loved every RE game that came before RE5, my favorite being RE3.

#37 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

I always thought RE5 was a brilliant game, it had everything I wanted in it (except maybe the scares), and all RE6 had to do was stick to that game, but instead RE6 decided to make the gameplay worse, aswell as turn the graphics to crap.

#38 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

As I take the game in now, it has a few good tension moments. Some of the encounters in the village in the beginning, where you're first getting accustomed to it, and some of the mines, and other interior episodes, do a great job of setting a bit of dread running through the bloodstream. It's a different sort of dread, as you can feel by playing the DLC mission in the mansion, which felt MUCH more "ResEvil" to me as I'm sure it did to many others. But it deserves credit in the progression of games for being in the series. It provides more development for Las Plagas, which are more and more what Resident Evil is about, as well as the sub-mutations it brings.

I'm really trying to go with the flow as far as my inner RE fan is concerned. It's difficult for me right now to accept where the series has gone, but then again, there was a time where I couldn't stand the idea of RE4, and subsequently RE5. I'm always going to love the original trilogy, and the apples which fell closer to that tree.

REZero

REmake

Veronica X

The series has changed quite a bit, even within the area of the franchise I love best; There are aberrations like "Deadly Aim", and so I need to believe that the arch of the main series will return to at least an approximation of where it came from. I am by no means excusing the series' current focus on being a "Gears of War" clone with "RE: Op Raccoon City" and large chunks of RE6, and fan's reactions to it all are proper even if sometimes a bit extreme... I need to believe that someday in the future, the game will elliptically return a bit to it's roots and even continue to evolve, as it has done since 1996 when I fell in love with RE the first time.

I'm thankful RE5 exists, even though it's not my top game in the series. I think from a story standpoint, it's a pretty important game in the series whether you hate the gameplay or not.

I'll make another somewhat inflammatory note, and I mean this even though it's going to meet with controversy - I LIKE the no-strafe, planted-feet to shoot controls in RE4 and RE5, I never thought moving-while-shooting was a good idea from a gameplay viewpoint, in Resident Evil. First, you are more accurate and that's real-world, so I kind of appreciate it that way. Also, it adds tension, not being able to move while shooting, and that's one of the reasons that, though it's not tank controls with fixed camera angles, I can still feel like games I don't rate as highly like RE4 or RE5 still fit into the family.

The same way games like "RE: Dead Aim", "RE: Umbrella Chronicles", and the like are in the family.

I will always enjoy games including, and prior to "REZero"... "RE: Outbreak - File I & II", The Trilogy, more than this new stuff. I'm super-glad I still have them all on disc, on a variety of systems, some games ("Resident Evil: Deadly Silence" on Nintendo DS is my hands-down favorite version of the original game!). But more and more, I am thankful RE5 Gold is on my shelf along with 'em.

:)

#39 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]RE5 is pretty crappy still, unfortunately. - Terrible character handling - Not scary - Game tries too hard to be a Hollywood action movie - Simplistic, shallow gameplayRageQuitter69

You forgot a few points:

• Sheva has the IQ of a retarted dog.
  • Sheva's accent changes halfway through the game.
  • The inventory system.

That's offensive to retarded dogs.