Required internet speed for PS3 online?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cheezy909 (1103 posts) -

Hi, i was wondering if our internet connection would be fast enough to play playstation 3 games online without lag? My speedtest results are as follows:

Cheers.

#2 Posted by Symphonycometh (9592 posts) -
The basic of basic Broadband is all that's needed. I feels the same as my current DSL connection.
#3 Posted by pandadude01 (2084 posts) -

I think you should be fine

I used to have a dl rate of 256kbs and it worked most of the time but lagged occasionally, especially in busier games. Now I have 1500kbs and it works brilliantly. But since 256kbs was nearly good enough, I think having 1017kbs should be fine. As for upload, I'm not really sure but again mine is fine, and I think from memory I have a similar upload rate. Don't worry, what you have is good enough.

*Edit*

You on Telstra? Well you're in Sydney so I guess this probably applies. You need to know how much bandwisth usage you get every month so you don't exceed it.

#4 Posted by cheezy909 (1103 posts) -
Thanks VERY much for your help guys. Yes, we are with Telstra 'pandadude01'. We have a limit of 12gb per month then we get shaped down to a slower connection speed, yet no additional charges apply which is great. Does anyone know how much gaming i would get out of 12gb? Like does it chew through brandwidth or shoul 12gb last a month of gaming... say20 hours worth a month? Thnks.
#5 Posted by pandadude01 (2084 posts) -

I'm pretty sure 12Gb would be fine for 20 hours of online gaming per month, but don't forget you probably want to use it for other things on your PC as well.

I have 12Gb limit as well, and by the end of the month, it's usually right at the limit, sometimes the last day or two I revert back to dial up speeds which sucks. But if you were just gaming online, I think you'll be fine. Seriously though, Australia has terrible boradband.

#6 Posted by americahellyeah (16548 posts) -
i don't think that DL thing affects it, i only get 1gb of dling a month and i download at least 40-50gigs of stuff in a month on my PC, and 7or 8 on my PS3, i usually only get 600-700kbps, but i do have some lag issues, though it usually fine.
#7 Posted by scottahuch (1580 posts) -
I have 512k, it runs with little to no lag at all in 32 player matches.
#8 Posted by hookd_on_heroes (123 posts) -
mine is pretty crappy at 128kbps per sec, will i have extreme lag?
#9 Posted by Gamefisher86 (588 posts) -

I dont know if u will get lag but i experience no lag....

#14 Posted by -Sonnenschein- (60 posts) -
do you also need broadband to download things (if you don't want/can't to play online) or do you need at least a specific speed to get online at all? My Xbox requires a specific speed I can't reach. Is it the same for PS3? I'm thinking about getting one... Would appreciate your answers
#15 Posted by HarshGamer (2822 posts) -

I dont know if u will get lag but i experience no lag....

Gamefisher86
DAMN, why u need all that speed?
#16 Posted by samuraiguns (11588 posts) -

Is this good? because most of the time i get intense lag in GTA IV and MGO?

Mind you, this is with the router attached this is not the modem connection this speed is from.

#17 Posted by brakey101 (704 posts) -

Is this speed good

1500/256 kbps

#18 Posted by ryokinshin6x3 (1437 posts) -
Like I said in your other thread, having a 7mb download and 1mb upload is where it's at today. I don't even know if i want to get in and explain it here.
#19 Posted by stinkyfriend (1325 posts) -
well i have satelite is there away to play with what i got?
#20 Posted by ryokinshin6x3 (1437 posts) -
No because the lag time between the signals and you system with the host system, you may have 10mb download on sat for example, but that is only when information is constantly incoming. Games have both in and out and at random intervals.
#21 Posted by stinkyfriend (1325 posts) -
yea that sux
#22 Posted by ryokinshin6x3 (1437 posts) -
Fibre, cable, DSL are the only connections you can really play games on, it does suck that a lot of people that want to play online can't because of connections. This is why landlines in general won't die because of the stability, reliability they offer.
#23 Posted by brakey101 (704 posts) -
mines about dat
#24 Posted by JoKeR_421 (8920 posts) -
u should be fine, my friend has about 1000 give or take 100 more and he has little to no lag
#25 Posted by barker132000 (218 posts) -

Cool I had never seen that speed test before/

#26 Posted by Dan_Lero (7484 posts) -

Is this good? because most of the time i get intense lag in GTA IV and MGO?

Mind you, this is with the router attached this is not the modem connection this speed is from.

samuraiguns
Dude, thats a great connection! I dunno why it's lagging though. Maybe you should check your NAT type
#27 Posted by ryokinshin6x3 (1437 posts) -
You should get no lag unless the hosts you are connecting to are not good, which is most likely the case.
#28 Posted by portej (645 posts) -

*Points at sig*

Bow down mortals! Mwahahahaha (evil laugh)

#29 Posted by barker132000 (218 posts) -

*Points at sig*

Bow down mortals! Mwahahahaha (evil laugh)

portej

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#30 Posted by samangel90 (1 posts) -
This is my speed of Net. Its not DSL. just a cable network. So will i be able to play with it in PS3?
#31 Posted by Exile51 (4 posts) -
No because the lag time between the signals and you system with the host system, you may have 10mb download on sat for example, but that is only when information is constantly incoming. Games have both in and out and at random intervals. ryokinshin6x3
So what really matters is the ping?
#32 Posted by matt21067 (1 posts) -
Yes, i hate this area because not only does it not have any place decent enough 2 actually go & do anything, it also has no decent internet service...its not that its available & we just cant afford it, but that this is currently the best available internet service that were shelling out $95.00/mo for (its not always this bad, but on a good day its not much batter when it comes 2 online play...& when this 30 day limit is finally back under i will repost my speed then) The only online gaming i can do (if i can actually keep a connection) is playing some with friends or rock band 2...which i currently cant play because of busted controllers Currently: 0.13 Mb/s down, 0.02 Mb/s up, & 1021 ms ping - WildBlue Communications (satellite)
#33 Posted by hassan1989 (77 posts) -

Hey guys is this speed good?

#34 Posted by pretzelmeister (1414 posts) -

Hi, i was wondering if our internet connection would be fast enough to play playstation 3 games online without lag? My speedtest results are as follows:

Cheers.

cheezy909

Absolutely.

This is the speed of my internet, and I can play online with most games with little to no lag.

EDIT: While i'm here, I was wondering why my interent is so excruciatingly slow (download & upload wise) compared to people I know with the same connection speeds as me. I just find it strange that people who are paying the same price as me somehow manage to download things 10x as fast.

#35 Posted by Broken_Noobs (182 posts) -
i experience the occasional lag
#36 Posted by b3yondstupidity (12500 posts) -
Hmm, I think your speed will be okay, it just needs standard Broadband tbh.
#37 Posted by kingmanbrosky (268 posts) -

well i still use dsl and it hardly ever lags

#38 Posted by Dante_May_Die (1505 posts) -

:'( im updating it tomorrow..I hope it gets faster!!!(PRAY 4 ME)

#39 Posted by FireFox67 (1012 posts) -

I have this ^ and I can't even play a COD4 or COD WaW match :?

I go to the lobby and it searchs game for like 1 minute and creates a room and nobody enters my room :?

#40 Posted by SuperBobz (613 posts) -

My speed varies anywhere from 7mb/s to 30mb/s, and averages out at about 15mb/s.

By the way, why is it so slow in Australia?

#41 Posted by Broken_Noobs (182 posts) -
i use extreme dsl
#42 Posted by TheAcejoel99 (1059 posts) -

anything but dial-up.

#43 Posted by glog12 (2 posts) -
So what part of the speed test matters? Download, upload or ping?
#44 Posted by do-bice (1 posts) -

hi is this speed ok for omline gaming on a ps3?

#45 Posted by hockeymanic323 (4 posts) -
hey i know ye got alot of messages but will this work? http://www.speedtest.net/result/995427600.png
#47 Posted by JohnF111 (14047 posts) -
12Gb is plenty, 24 hours a day 7 days a week couldnt max that out... Most gaming only uses realistically about 50kbps so its more than enough.
#48 Posted by JohnF111 (14047 posts) -

hi is this speed ok for omline gaming on a ps3?

do-bice

Yeah should be fine. Ping is the important one, download speed only needs about 0.11mbps to be reasonable.

#49 Posted by hockeymanic323 (4 posts) -
who was that to?haha
#50 Posted by samuraiguns (11588 posts) -

:| I was in this thread three years ago...

DON'T RESURRECT OLD THREADS.