Ratchet and Clank which one to get?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by koolyoe (138 posts) -

Never played any of these games but I am interested in them and they seem to have a high rating.

I am curious where I should start? Should I get them all or only certain ones? Or are they all similar and I would be well off with just getting one?

Seeking advice from those that have experienced the games thanks all.

#2 Posted by Justinps2hero (2161 posts) -
A crack in time, or you could buy the HD collection so you know the back story first, they are good, well they were brilliant ten years ago, I think they have aged well. Unfortunately, the series has lost its way recently, they sold out for multi-player & it really does not work.
#3 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

It all depends on your price point and level of commitment to the franchise. If you are interested in playing the entire series from start to finish or are just looking for the best of them. I'd go with

ACiT. It really is a wonderful game. You get a little summary of the series thus far at the beginning of the game so you get the gist.

-

The HD collection is quite good too.

#4 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

Start with the first ratchet and clank game.

#5 Posted by koolyoe (138 posts) -

Looks Like I will get A crack in time and decide if I want to go on. Thanks for the opinions!

#6 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

A crack in time, or you could buy the HD collection so you know the back story first, they are good, well they were brilliant ten years ago, I think they have aged well. Unfortunately, the series has lost its way recently, they sold out for multi-player & it really does not work.Justinps2hero

I dont think the first one aged that well. It was hard re-adjusting to it after so many years. Im used to control style of later iterations.

#7 Posted by OneInchMan99 (1127 posts) -

You might as well start from the beginning with the HD collection,they look fantastic in 1080p and are all great games.The first one does not have auto lock aiming which can be annoying but 2 and 3 are great games and all 3 current gen(proper games)are great too.You can't really go wrong with Ratchet & Clank.

#8 Posted by coasterguy65 (5839 posts) -

If you can only pick one then go with a Crack in Time. Otherwise I'd say get the HD collection, then Tools of Destruction, then a Crack in time and play them in order.

All the R&C games are great, with the exception of All4One, and I would imagine Full Frontal Assault (haven't played it, and don't really plan to anytime soon).

#9 Posted by glitch2424 (897 posts) -

A crack in time, or you could buy the HD collection so you know the back story first, they are good, well they were brilliant ten years ago, I think they have aged well. Unfortunately, the series has lost its way recently, they sold out for multi-player & it really does not work.Justinps2hero

I agree with getting the HD collection, and the fact that the series HAS lost it's way - not in terms of gameplay content, but in terms of how the game FEELS. There's a significant lack of challenge in the ps3 versions, and it's utterly disappointing. The artstyle also become very pixar. In these 2 ways the series became catered to kids, and this detracted from teh fun significantly. (This is one of the only instances where the enhancements in visuals didn't complement the game, but actually clashed with the violence and chaos portrayed on screen).

Stick with the first 3 games, and if you feel like seeing what little story the game as to offer, play the last 2 (ps3) games.

#10 Posted by Chaos_Bladez (5801 posts) -
Get the HD Collection then get the PS3 disc games: Tools of Destruction and ACIT.
#11 Posted by brickdoctor (9746 posts) -

Up Your Arsenal and A Crack in Time are by far the best.

#12 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
might as well start from the start, R&C HD Collection, then get tools of destruction and then a crack in time, Ignore the rest
#13 Posted by WickedChainy (285 posts) -
I just bought the Collection because for the money it's going to give me the most game time. Then after those 3 I'm just going to go in order if I'm still interested.
#14 Posted by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -
Don't get All 4 One. The online (which the game is supposedly built around) is atrocious.
#15 Posted by gamenerd15 (4434 posts) -

Get all the games. There really is not a bad one yet. The last two are different from the others, but that does not make them terrible games. A Crack in time is a person favorite. The space missions were fun, but somewhat repetitive. The puzzle sections of the game were a nice way to change the Ratchet formula. Tools of Destruction is cool, but it was the "safe bet" of the franchise. Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time probably go for $15 or less by now. The first game on the PS2 probably feels a little dated, due to lack of upgrade system. If you are good enough with the wrench, then there really is not a need for weapons. Going Commando is fixed these problems. Up Your Arsenal became more shooter focused than the previous entries, but it is still a great game.

#16 Posted by Granny_Spanked (1326 posts) -
Get the HD collection, Ratchet and Clank was my favorite series on the PS2.
#17 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -
I got all 4 one free with PS+. Is that any good?
#18 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (6541 posts) -

Definately go with the HD collection.

Also just throwing this out there, Deadlocked HD is going to be released on psn at some point. I think it's very underappreciated and is right up there with any of the other games in the series.

#19 Posted by AsadMahdi59 (6541 posts) -

I got all 4 one free with PS+. Is that any good?AmazonTreeBoa

it's considered one of the worst games in the series, but the co-op is probably pretty fun. I actually haven't played it though

#20 Posted by LJN (12 posts) -
The HD collection doesn't cost a lot, I'd say get it, but if you can't, you could wait...or get Jak and Daxter collection to see if you like it.
#21 Posted by kyacat (4043 posts) -
Get the HD collection first
#22 Posted by svaubel (2436 posts) -

Get the HD Collection or the PS2 originals for like 5$ each in a bargain bin. As for the PS3 games, as long as the title isnt All 4 One or Full Frontal Assault you will be in for a great platformer. The two newest ones are crap because they are multiplayer focused.

#23 Posted by Exxite (171 posts) -

I sadly haven't played the later ones, but I have future tools of destruction. I think FToD was the first ratchet and clank game on ps3. It was kind of an easy game but very fun gameplay.

#24 Posted by Mar_Sama (87 posts) -

If you want to start right you buy the cheap HD Collection, if you are going to like it, go 1 after 1 because the Story gets better with each game and you really don;t want to miss out the great gameplay and humor

#25 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8704 posts) -

I was in your position not too long ago and picked up A Crack in Time for 10 bucks. It was thoroughly enjoyable so I can definitely recommend that game quite highly.