Quick question, Cell to PC

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gamefisher86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 Gamefisher86
Member since 2004 • 588 Posts

This might be a question asked a billion times but has there been any news on if they will bring the Cell to desktop PCs?    

Gamefisher86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gamefisher86
I wish they did it would kick pentium 4 in the cahonas!!!!  :P
BenderUnit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4 BenderUnit22
Member since 2006 • 9597 Posts
I doubt it any time soon, because software has to be designed for Cell to really take advantage. I remember reading some article about what other chip manifacturers had planned for the future and Cell-like architecture was to start some time around 2015. Of course, that article was all speculation and my memory isn't too good either.
Gamefisher86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gamefisher86

it doesnt really have to be the cell just a cell like archutecture of  course it would have to be a real one you know the ones in the ps3 are dumbed down versions specifically designed for gaming and media.  Its still very powerfull dont get me wrong but if it was designed for a pc then it would be like....damn

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts
I doubt the cell would ever see the light of day on a desktop pc. IBM is using the cell paired with more flexible G5 cores to make supercomputers, but the cell is to limited and difficult to program for to run a complicated OS like Windows and a large amounts of varied software.
Gamefisher86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gamefisher86

yeah I figured as much just making sure

Modbetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Modbetto
Member since 2006 • 775 Posts
Toshiba is working on the PC applicable cell....it's due in Fall.....it should be a 4.2ghz
Modbetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Modbetto
I don't think it will work on windows though......probably Linux....which i believe is the future windows....
VonGak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 VonGak
Member since 2003 • 15399 Posts

it doesnt really have to be the cell just a cell like archutecture of  course it would have to be a real one you know the ones in the ps3 are dumbed down versions specifically designed for gaming and media.  Its still very powerfull dont get me wrong but if it was designed for a pc then it would be like....damn

Gamefisher86

Please remove the "dumbed down" comment as it's highly incorrect.
Modbetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Modbetto
[QUOTE="Gamefisher86"]

VonGak

Please remove the "dumbed down" comment as it's highly incorrect.

What is this guy talking about????? The cell kicks the core duos' ass at equal hertz...does the 1,8ghz of a mac mini act like a 800mhz of an IBM??? I DONT THINK SO.....