Question to PSV owners...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2703 posts) -
Hey guys I have been a life long console, controller in the hand gamer. As I have gotten older both my time and overall interest in gaming has dwindled to where I only play a handful of games each year. I never really got into the PS2 as I was and still am a XBOX guy. However, I would now prefer to get my gaming fix in a more mobile, sit in my chair watch a football game and play something fashion. I have the Lumia 920 Windows phone and an iPad, but those flash games only get you so far. Is the VITA a good investment at this point? I enjoy RPG's, sports, action and some racing type games.
#2 Posted by HybridPhoenix (3598 posts) -

Well, there's a few selections for the games you like. The library is still a little small but Persona 4 as an RPG would keep you busy for a while, and since you skipped PS2 it would be new to you, not sure about sports but I'm guessing some of the new sports games are on the vita, Uncharted: Golden Abyss would cover action and I know there are a few racing games available. If you have the money and think it's worth the investment, go for it. It's not for everyone due to the limit of games, but check out games that are on the horizon and what's already out.

You could also use the PS Store to download past RPGs and other games to your vita

It could, however, be to your benefit to buy a regular PSP and check out that massive game back log. It's loaded with excellent RPG's.

#3 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

since i bought my vita i stopped using my galaxy smartphone and plugged its 3G simcard in to the vita , its so much better than a smartphone imo when it comes to games , therea not alot games out there so far , but sure enough to keep you busy until new games come

#4 Posted by chris24l (1286 posts) -
It's a good investment now because the price won't go down soon. And it is in the beginning of its lifespan. There are tons of games on the ps store to download. The vita sports games look almost identical or better sometimes than the ps3. If you are getting a hand held device the vita is the top choice. Ipad games are nice but they are not a feature filled and graphically on par with the vita at this point. I know someone who has one and it is truly worth it's price, where they get you is the memory card, that you have to get. The 4gb is enough because you can redownload games as much as you like.
#5 Posted by Alx1231 (527 posts) -
It's a good investment now because the price won't go down soon. And it is in the beginning of its lifespan. There are tons of games on the ps store to download. The vita sports games look almost identical or better sometimes than the ps3. If you are getting a hand held device the vita is the top choice. Ipad games are nice but they are not a feature filled and graphically on par with the vita at this point. I know someone who has one and it is truly worth it's price, where they get you is the memory card, that you have to get. The 4gb is enough because you can redownload games as much as you like. chris24l
Well I wouldn't say the price isn't going down anytime soon.
#6 Posted by PSP107 (12182 posts) -

since i bought my vita i stopped using my galaxy smartphone and plugged its 3G simcard in to the vita , its so much better than a smartphone imo when it comes to games , therea not alot games out there so far , but sure enough to keep you busy until new games come

AmnesiaHaze
whats the benefit of plugging a galaxy 3G simcard in the vita?
#7 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -
[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]

PSP107

its not a "galaxy" sim card , its a regular 3G broadband sim card i used with my galaxy , the benefit is having a wlan independent network access
#8 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
RPG - not so much out at the moment, only thing i can think of is persona 4 sports - fifa action - quite a few titles racing - wipeout 2047.
#9 Posted by Ovirew (6521 posts) -

Greetings Shotty, I'd say it sounds like you might be a good candidate for the Vita.

You like handheld games, and you want something better than an IPad game to keep you entertained. To put it simply, the Vita is currently the most powerful handheld game system, and while its game library is still kind of small it is shaping up nicely.

Make sure you are comfortable with spending a little extra for a decent-sized memory card when you buy your Vita. If you have any other questions, we might be able to help answer them for you here.

You mentioned you like racing, sports, action and RPGs. Well, the system has a little something in each of those categories, depends on what you're looking for. Were there any specific games you were really interested in?

I know a lot of people are also gonna keep mentioning Persona 4 as the system's best RPG, but imo Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention is pure awesome, and has a crapload of stuff you can do in it. Both of those games are updated ports of games from the PS2 and PS3, however, so there still isn't a really big new RPG on the system. Ragnarok Odyssey might be the only other RPG on the system right now, actually.

Wipeout 2048 is the most popular racing game on the system right now. I think there are a few others... Ridge Racer and Need For Speed, though I don't know how they did. Oh, Motorstorm RC is an rc race car game that's pretty cool, but it has a lot of stuff you have to pay to unlock.

Are we talking about specific sports? Well, the system has FIFA, Madden, MLB, and Virtua Tennis. Not sure if I'm missing any other ones. There is also Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational, which I've also been kind of tempted to get. I guess even a lot of people who aren't necessarily golf fans enjoy it, and it has some good online modes that let you compete with like 11 other people at a time. If you consider them to be sports, there is also a fooseball game and... I believe also an ice hockey game? And there is a pool game called Hustle Kings, and a pinball game called Zen Pinball that some people are really into.

Action games, well that's a pretty broad genre. Some notable ones from last year were Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Assassin's Creed: Liberation, Rayman Origins and Ninja Gaiden.

The Vita also has a lot of games that are available for download from PSN, but they aren't released as actual game cartridges. And a lot of those are pretty good, too. You can also download and play several of the more popular PSP games, and PS One games. And there are also some of those app games on the system too, called 'minis'.

If you want to look at a pretty decent list of existing games and some upcoming games, then Wikipedia is the place for you to look. Keep in mind that not every single game in the works is listed there.

#10 Posted by Exceed20XX (550 posts) -

If you don't mind a few consoles ports there's a decent amount to like right now then. The titles unique to the Vita are slowly appearing but are there.

Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Persona 4 Golden, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, and Wipeout 2048 may interest you. If you drag in the PSP roster via download then there's a lot more worth playing as well, especially in the RPG and action fields.

#11 Posted by PSP107 (12182 posts) -
[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"][QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"]

its not a "galaxy" sim card , its a regular 3G broadband sim card i used with my galaxy , the benefit is having a wlan independent network access

Base on your qoute "since i bought my vita i stopped using my galaxy smartphone and plugged its 3G simcard in to the vita" i was saying you took the sim card out of your galaxy and inserted into your Vita.
#12 Posted by KBFloYd (14560 posts) -

if you're rich you can get razer edge portable tablet.

#13 Posted by Malta_1980 (11480 posts) -

PSV & PC are currently my fav systems...

Surely PSV's games library is not huge but there are some amazing titles available.. A few suggestions would be

Persona4, SF x Tekken, Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend, Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Rayman Origins, Assassins Creed, Wipeout, LBP, PSABR & NFS..

The above along others titles + downloadable ones imo already make the PSV a great handheld !!

#14 Posted by gamenerd15 (4470 posts) -

There is a decent amount out for the system.

As far as RPG's go there is Ragnarok Odyssey and Persona 4

Need For Speed Most Wanted and Wipeout are good for racing.

Hot Shots Golf and Fifa could be used for your sports fix.

There quite a few games in the action category. Games like Uncharted, Rayman, Earth Defense Force, Gravity Rush, Little Big Planet, Assassins Creed, Blazblue, Mortal Kombat, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, Mutant Blobs Attack, and Super Stardust Delta are all games worth your time.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Soul Sacrifice, Tear Away, Warriors Lair, Killzone: Mercenaries, Dead or Alive 5, Phanasy Star Online 2, Sly Cooper Thieves in Time are all coming out sometime this year, There are other good games too. Do not believe the perception that the Vita has no games.

#15 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
[QUOTE="AmnesiaHaze"] its not a "galaxy" sim card , its a regular 3G broadband sim card i used with my galaxy , the benefit is having a wlan independent network access

Ya that made me wonder too. When vita only works with at&t for 3g service here in the US anyway.