Question about psp games and a 6 year old

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Golden_Domer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Golden_Domer
Member since 2005 • 293 Posts
I am thinking of buying my son a psp, and he is only 6. They have a bundle pack with with star wars battlefront renegade squadron. Is this something he will be able to play, or is this game going to be to hard for him. Thanks
Avatar image for Bret_is_a_lover
Bret_is_a_lover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Bret_is_a_lover
Member since 2005 • 95 Posts
I have a six year old brother and he has SW: RS and he seems to be ok with it, but he plays alot of SW games.
anshuk20002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 anshuk20002
Member since 2004 • 3523 Posts
yeah if your son is a SW fan then i guess he'll be fine. Maybe you should get a case for the psp just in case. I heard the slim one is easier to break.
Avatar image for jeff16950_demon
jeff16950_demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 jeff16950_demon
Member since 2003 • 1240 Posts
Locoroco! Perfect game for the little ones
Golden_Domer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Golden_Domer
He can play star wars legos on my 360, and he is pretty good at it. You think he should be fine to play this one then.
Avatar image for jeff16950_demon
jeff16950_demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 jeff16950_demon
Member since 2003 • 1240 Posts
whoops, read it wrong. Thought you were looking for a reccomendation. But yeah, star wars is easy enough for a kid to get the hang of the controls.
Falcon51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Falcon51
Member since 2003 • 27 Posts

You could try and get the PSP Daxter Bundle, it might be better for a six year old.although it says its back ordered on this ebgames website http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=020281

i did see one of these at aHMV recently

SaL_92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#8 SaL_92
Member since 2005 • 4106 Posts
i think a ds would be more suitable for a six year old imo
scaryteddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 scaryteddy
Member since 2005 • 599 Posts
My son is 5 and we have both PSP and a DS. I can tell you, he loves HIS DS. The games are way more suited to his age. The PSP is mine. hehe
Taysir_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Taysir_Z
Member since 2007 • 297 Posts

no problem buy him one

my little sister she is 6 years old and some times I give her my PSP to play

Avatar image for WSGRandomPerson
WSGRandomPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#11 WSGRandomPerson
Member since 2007 • 13697 Posts
If he's six, you should get him a DS instead of a PSP. Since DS games are suitable for kids his age,and the PSP tends to be for the people a little bit older..
Golden_Domer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Golden_Domer
I am actually looking to buy 2. One for my 7 year old daughter too. I am going to get her the Daxter bundle. I see there arent many games geared for them at their age. But I also want this one because of the video playback as well. We are taking 3 vactations this year. 1 on a plane, then 2 long distance drives. I was liking the psp because of games, video, and music all in one small portable device. Thanks for all the replies.
Tokinblckgie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Tokinblckgie
Member since 2006 • 478 Posts
Me and My Katamari is a very kid-friendly game. You could also try Daxter, Ape Escape, Ratotuille, or any one of the racing or puzzle games. Maybe Need for Speed underground Rivals. It's kinda simple and non-violent.
LovetoBall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LovetoBall
Member since 2006 • 133 Posts

6 years old = too young for psp

6 years old = DS Lite

trey555555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 trey555555
Member since 2007 • 708 Posts
I think so. Its not too hard of a game. But I think like the people were saying here "the ds is more suitable since it has more friendlier games". I myself like both. Psp is awesome, but when it comes to games i think the ds would come in first. I got my sister a DS and she is 10 and loves to play nintendogs. But see the cool thing about the DS is that the battery last real long. Kids kinda get into playing it alot. For instance the plane ride is like 3-4 hours long and say your kids play the whole way there. When they get off and have to wait somewhere else or dont have a place to charge it, it might be a little difficult to play. The ds has a good battery wich last more than 8hrs as ive been told or more. and cheaper :)
SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
Sure the games are easy enough to pick up and play, but do you think it's ok to let a 6 year old play games like that? Star Wars Lego is a fun game and it's for everyone, but that's because it doesn't have the same detailed level of violence as the originals. I really don't have any say in this, but if it was my kid, I wouldn't let him/her play it until they are at least 14 or older as the game is rated Teen. But anyway, he should have no problem having fun with the game, it'll be easy to play because the beggining is easy and all that, but the online play, lots of kids out there swear so I don't know if you care or not whether your son gets exposed to that much swearing or not. The DS is more suited for the younger kids, but anyway, that's just my opinion.
nerdomatic3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nerdomatic3000
Member since 2006 • 838 Posts
The DS Lite sounds like a better system for a 6 year old.
Amancia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Amancia
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
I agree with those that said DS is a better choice for such a young child. Most of PSP's games are geared for older children and the last thing I would want is to have a six year-old son playing games that are not meant for his age.
vicdmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vicdmx
Member since 2007 • 428 Posts

I think the DS Lite is better for a young child of his age.. i mean nearly all of the PSP games are for Teens(12+ and 16 and 18+ and little 7 and 3+).

But on the DS you have Childdish Games and Fun games and also learning games i think the DS is better for a 6 year old.

SGT4EVA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 SGT4EVA
Member since 2007 • 1773 Posts

yeah if your son is a SW fan then i guess he'll be fine. Maybe you should get a case for the psp just in case. I heard the slim one is easier to break. anshuk20002

liesss i have a psp slim and becasue its lighter it seems that when i drop it, it has less of an impact

psp fat(way heavier) when u drop that, it'll break easier

but overall they both break aroudn the same

FreshNoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FreshNoodles
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts

Sorry for "not supporting" psp :P

But i highly recommend a Nintendo DS for Kids around that age, its easier and more friendly games. I got a cousin who is now 8 years, who got some problems, (Pure guess on translation) He's mentaly retarded. I recommended my aunt to give him a DS, many kids around his age in school had it, and it will interact other kids around him. They bought a DS and now he got lots of new friends and i guess it helps him a bit too mentally. (crappy english, hope you get what im saying...)

Im not saying you need to be retarded to have a DS ^^ but, its fun, easy, more durable and lighter than a Psp. And got alot more friendly games for younger users.

Hope this helps. I cant imagine giving a psp to a 6 years old, its like giving him a car instead of a tricycle to me

barcarulz007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 barcarulz007
Member since 2007 • 59 Posts
Buy him fifa 08 and grand theft auto vice city stories plus u can have a go at them too.
FreshNoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FreshNoodles
Member since 2007 • 150 Posts

Buy him fifa 08 and grand theft auto vice city stories plus u can have a go at them too.barcarulz007

Grand theft auto for a 6 years old, thats cute... I played GTA1-2 around that age but man, it didnt have that realistic 3d graphic ^^

B-bad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24 B-bad
Member since 2002 • 5705 Posts

while the PSP is geared more toward older gamers there are some game that are fine for younger players the daxter bundle is a great buy (game, movie, memory stick ..... oh you might want to take the family guy movie out) the swbf-RS bundle is ok but you are going to need to get a memorystick if you want to use it for music, videos and you need it for gamesaves.

ben10fanatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ben10fanatic
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I have a 9-year-old and agree with most of these posts, a DS Lite is far better and there is much more selection for younger kids. My kid has been using the DS for over a year, and it's great. We've done transatlantic trips and the DS has made it from beginning to end, with hours of play. The only advantage of the PSP is its video and music function - but the short battery (3 hours, in our experience) kind of defeats the purpose - if you travel with a laptop, it'll probably give you the same amount of battery and the movies will be easier to see anyway. You can get a car charger - but forget about bringing it on a plane, nowhere to charge it there!

My son just got a PSP for Xmas, it's okay but even though he's an experienced gamer- started on Gameboy at 5 - he keeps getting stuck on the games (stuck on the Vilgax level of Ben 10 at the moment) . And besides Daxter, Sonic and two or three more games, there's not much else out there (as far as I know). PSP games seem to be harder and geared to older kids/adults.

So I would strongly recommend a DS Lite for the moment, and wait till the kids are older to get a PSP.

Ice-Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Ice-Cube
Member since 2003 • 2435 Posts

Yes a DS would be better for 6 year old but the guy said he's taking 3 trips and he would probably be watching Movies and listening to music as well. So I think your better off with the PSP since it is a multimedia device. There are games that your son can play though most isn't for him at his age. I currently use mine for Gaming and watching a lot of Movies ( I don't buy that UMD garbage). Get yourself a nice 2-4GB Memory stick and fill it with your movies and music for those trips. You can buy a car charger for your PSP if it dies.

Those are just some suggestions, have fun.

scaryteddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 scaryteddy
Member since 2005 • 599 Posts

Since this has become a PSP vs DS for a 6 year old forum, I might also add that the PSP is much more fragile than the DS. DS games are on a flash memory cartirdge eg: no moving parts. I know from experience that it doesn't take much of a drop to render the PSP's UMD disc drive completely useless. Also, the screen is much more prone to scratches and damage since it is bigger and does not fold up for protection like the DS. Also, with kids, if they had a DS they would'nt care about missing the movies since they will be busy playing all the games that are targeted for their age group. Most of the movies released for PSP are not kids movies anyways. Instead of picking through a small handfull of PSP games suitable for a 6 year old, get you money's worth and and go for the DS who's kid friendly library is fricken huge.