PSP video format?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Guol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Guol
Member since 2004 • 3109 Posts
what format video does the psp play? and are there any video converters out there to convert some of my videos into that format?
sebastempo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 sebastempo
Member since 2008 • 284 Posts
UMD movies and MP4 video format... you can try some ipod video converter like WinAVI.
k3nn3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 k3nn3th
Member since 2005 • 613 Posts
How to play MP4 files from PSP? I can't figure out in what map you have to place it.
Guol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Guol
Member since 2004 • 3109 Posts

i think you gotta put it in the folder called video

k3nn3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 k3nn3th
Member since 2005 • 613 Posts
Tried in VIDEO, didn't work.
aznstyle11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aznstyle11
Member since 2008 • 1125 Posts
Have you formated your memory stick? I just checked where my videos are and they are in VIDEO.
ResidentX19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ResidentX19
Member since 2008 • 103 Posts

MPEG4.

MP4 if those do not work i advise you use search engines, or your local psp website.

jimmmg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jimmmg
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

u wanna a video converter for psp? i will share one that is pretty smart with you, you can have a free try from here:

http://www.ipod-psp-video-converter.com/psp-video-converter.html

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts
use PSP Video Express. it works pretty well. once in a while a video will not work, but usually it does. then drag the file into the folder labeled "video". then when you turn your psp on the videos should be there on the memory stick.
fynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 fynne
Member since 2002 • 8078 Posts

First of all, the PSP doesn't just support any format mp4. It has to be one of the "valid" resolutions or it won't be playable. Secondly the firmware that the movie is encoded at determines which folder it goes into. I use PSP Video 9 (freeware) which supports the highest firmware (profile = 3.3+). These movies can go into the /VIDEO folder on the memory stick. If you use other encoders that don't support the latest firmware the movies will go into one of 2 other weirdly named folders. The encoder should have an option to move the file for you so I won't go into their names.

It appears that ipod movies can play on PSPs and vice versa. I always download the ipod version of On The Spot and play it on my PSP. I'd guess that ipod converters will work too, but I don't know since I don't have one.

X_tinction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 X_tinction
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
My virus protection found 2 infections in PSP Video Express don't install it
jaast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jaast
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

The one I used was PSPvideo9, was easy enough to use, just took its sweet time getting there. If you find one that does the job super quick, let me know.

pamplinas322

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 pamplinas322
Member since 2008 • 539 Posts
Well for converting video i use total video converter, it already has the option for converting them in PSP video format whick is MP4. If the video folder doesnt work for movies try and go to MP_ROOT and then check the folder 100MNV01 if it not there create a folder with that name and then put your videos there. This is using PSP 3000, i dont know if the older ones can do it to.
sjaak014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sjaak014
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I always use winAVI works great Download : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XLZLA0X7 - fast and free
05s-field

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 05s-field
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

i have a good one its for ipods does it super quick and works on psp! google " videora "

bigd2232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bigd2232
Member since 2009 • 28 Posts
if you save a video that isnt in the psp format save it to the common folder can watch it from your computer
frostypawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 frostypawn

I found this article really useful. It contains a lot of details about all the codecs and bitrates of videos that the PSP can play, and then it has some suggestions on programs to use to convert files at the very end. I looked around for a long time for something technical like this explaining why the PSP can play some videos and not others so I wanted to share. If you understand this stuff then you don't have to be limited by the settings in PSP Video 9 and programs like that, which sometimes don't turn out very good.

How to Convert Videos for PSP and PS3

Avatar image for skeletonjack112
skeletonjack112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 skeletonjack112

This sounds more complicated then it is. Download Xvid4psp from winnydows...its free. Next you need to download the Combined Community Codec Pack and install it (this is especially true for anime users so you can click to force subs in the CCP) Open Xvid4psp and select the PSP AVC option. Then you just pick a video and encode it. I have used this to encode anime, movies, iso's, etc. This program also encodes for ipods and Blackberrys...it can pretty much do anything. The presets are great so you get good quality and a low memory.

Avatar image for skeletonjack112
skeletonjack112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 skeletonjack112

Forgot to mention...using Xvid4psp you save the file to your computer and then transfer it to the video folder. It will encode the video and give you a screen shot...if you load both in the video folder then the video will have that screen shot when you scroll on to it instead of just the name.

bahamen1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 bahamen1
U need to download a software called mediago .with that u can transfer movies,music,pics and other stuff.u can download it for free
tekken220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tekken220
Member since 2008 • 5105 Posts
U need to download a software called mediago .with that u can transfer movies,music,pics and other stuff.u can download it for freebahamen1
Yet more fresh meat bumping old threads... *sigh*
sparkyhouse99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 sparkyhouse99
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
I just bought a psp 3000. i used a converter and converted the videos to MP4. but the videos still wont play. it says unsupported data. can anyone help please!
Granpire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 139

#23 Granpire
Member since 2008 • 2749 Posts
[QUOTE="sparkyhouse99"]I just bought a psp 3000. i used a converter and converted the videos to MP4. but the videos still wont play. it says unsupported data. can anyone help please!

This can be caused by a few different things. Maybe you converted into a format that the PSP can't read, maybe some settings weren't quite right. Try using PSP Video 9 with a few different profiles, then try a different video. Some videos/formats just won't play.
gestah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gestah
Member since 2005 • 523 Posts
http://pspvc.nswardh.com/ here, it is free, and converts to ps3 too, you'll never need another converter.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
I use the original psp video 9 and have never had a problem. I have to use the number system maq1234.mp4(100ANV01 folder), I tried renaming them and putting them in the video folder which the newer versions do but it doesn't work so I stick with the original I'm not going to re-encode 90 movies(21gb in mp4) and complete tv shows like Batlestar Galactica(remake),Caprica,Dark Angel,Burn Notice, Eureka,Heroes,Knight Rider 2008,Sanctuary,Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles, The Tester, V 2009, Viva La bam, Fringe,Flash Forward,Leverage,Roswell,Weeds(50GB in mp4)
MacSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MacSexy
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts
There are a number of programs to use...especially with how long the PSP has been out. Personally, I've been working through this problem on the system (since the 2000 series) by using 3GP Converter. Though there are other options for you. However, this program is kinda an all in one (converting to the MP4 for the PSP as well as various other types of files, like old school phones and the like), not limited so much by the file types, so much as the codecs in the video file. It doesn't work all the time, and sometimes the video comes out really bad quality, but hey, if you need to conserve on file space, it's your man.
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 p4s2p0

Just make sure the one u use has avc support. Smaller filesize and look good. My movies are 200-300mb and look great on psp.

MacSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MacSexy
Member since 2007 • 143 Posts

Just make sure the one u use has avc support. Smaller filesize and look good. My movies are 200-300mb and look great on psp.

p4s2p0
Just curious, what's the average run time of the files? (Always looking for a decent program.)
p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 p4s2p0

[QUOTE="p4s2p0"]

MacSexy

Just curious, what's the average run time of the files? (Always looking for a decent program.)

Like Weeds season 4 is 6hrs3min and 760mb and the expendables is 247mb at 1hr43min

MatrixPhyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MatrixPhyre
Member since 2009 • 59 Posts

First of all, the PSP doesn't just support any format mp4. It has to be one of the "valid" resolutions or it won't be playable. Secondly the firmware that the movie is encoded at determines which folder it goes into. I use PSP Video 9 (freeware) which supports the highest firmware (profile = 3.3+). These movies can go into the /VIDEO folder on the memory stick. If you use other encoders that don't support the latest firmware the movies will go into one of 2 other weirdly named folders. The encoder should have an option to move the file for you so I won't go into their names.

It appears that ipod movies can play on PSPs and vice versa. I always download the ipod version of On The Spot and play it on my PSP. I'd guess that ipod converters will work too, but I don't know since I don't have one.

fynne
I've used a freeware program called MediaCoder. There's direct encoding to the PSP format size for MP4. I've only used it a few times but it's not difficult to navigate and also transfers the files directly to your PSP after recoding.
cacadong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 cacadong
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Download Video download studio http://www.gamespot.com