PSP Recommendation Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#301 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -

If your looking for action adventure from the disgaea franchise, check out Prinny, can I really be the hero?. Part 2 is coming this year I heard. But be warned that this game is kinda hard.

What about Sid Meier's Pirates! It looks like a good adventure game. If you want jrpg then Lunar silver star harmony. That's a good adventure game or Grandia from the psn.

Also God of War and Dante's Inferno. But from the games you've mentioned, sorry can't think of any. What about lego indiana jones or tomb raider anniversary?

#302 Posted by gamebreakerz__ (5120 posts) -
All I have to say is if you haven't played Crisis Core then you must. It is undoubtably the best game on the PSP.
#303 Posted by redman100111 (533 posts) -

I have 21$ to spend on my PSN account, what RPG game(s) should I buy? I already own all the Final Fantasies...

#304 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -

Grandia. It's as good as any final fantasy game. If you like games like Chrono trigger, then this game is for you.

Soul Reaver is a good action adventure game that is worth a look. Pretty solid. Sequel to Blood Omen (Hack n Slash rpg).

If you still haven't gotten Castlevania Chronicles: Dracula Xfor the psp, then get Symphony of the Night ps1 classic. Must Buy!

----------------------------------------

Suikoden is also good but the graphics hasn't age well.

Wild Arms 1 is good but not as good as FF series or Grandia on the ps1. But I like the theme of "Western" and this is my first rpg on the ps1 long time ago. Pretty decent imo, Average rpg. Wild Arms 2 on the other hand is not that good, get it if you are a diehard wild arms fans only.

#305 Posted by donut5 (1958 posts) -
You should defiantly place Infected on that list, it's an amazing game. Seriously check it out, that is if you like zombies, action, humor, Bloodrayne, and Slipknot. Maybe you like to run around in a Santa Clause suit, killing zombies. Or maybe even play as one of the band members from Slipknot or as Rayne and kick some serious zombie butt. Or maybe even a band member from Chevelle? Hell, if you like to customize your character so that he looks like Leon from the RE series, you could do that as well, or maybe even Jason Voorhees from the Friday the 13th movies. They took off online though sadly, it was awesome. running around killing zombies while at the same time killing your opponent, sometimes even turning into a cow and ripping them to shreds with a chainsaw, or a BMFG.
#306 Posted by R-Mak (55 posts) -

Nice... Good taste. I got like half of those games, So I know I'm doing something right.

#307 Posted by pspfanboy6 (91 posts) -

Anyone else hate FF8? It has better graphics than ff7 but man...the magic system 'junction?' blows big time. it is so unnecessarily complicated. Im sorry but if i have to spend 30 minutes reading in-game instructions on how to use magic....it just ruins the whole fun of the game for me. I stopped playing after i got through the cave trial cuz i was so bored.

#308 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
I liked FF8, but I wasn't really a huge fan of the junction system. It's not too hard to figure out once you're past the basics, but it encourages you to hoard magic and never use it AND spend a few turns every battle drawing magic from the enemies, which gets boring. Sure, you don't have to, but you get more powerful if you do, so it's silly not to.
#309 Posted by blacknight06 (1422 posts) -

Anyone else hate FF8? It has better graphics than ff7 but man...the magic system 'junction?' blows big time. it is so unnecessarily complicated. Im sorry but if i have to spend 30 minutes reading in-game instructions on how to use magic....it just ruins the whole fun of the game for me. I stopped playing after i got through the cave trial cuz i was so bored.

pspfanboy6

It gets Soo much better after that

and the Junction system is pretty easy though. I understood it after trying it a couple times, so I hate how they have to keep explaining it later on.

You really won't be needing it until quite after that cave thing, so by that time you'll have gotten used to it and learned it

#310 Posted by imavegba (9 posts) -

Great post. Age of Zombies is an awesome mini game... yea yea more zombies but it is serious fun!

#311 Posted by Dantethayer1 (569 posts) -

Hey guys, i was just thinking about getting a PSP-3000 and was wondering if there is enough good games to make a purchase? What would you guys recommend? I love RPG's and action/adventure games. Thanks for your help!

#312 Posted by jedinat (3560 posts) -

Hey guys, i was just thinking about getting a PSP-3000 and was wondering if there is enough good games to make a purchase? What would you guys recommend? I love RPG's and action/adventure games. Thanks for your help!

Dantethayer1
GTA Chinatown Wars (if you like GTA games; not really my thing) LocoRoco 2 Lunar Silver Star Harmony Monster Hunter Freedom Unite DJ Max Portable 2 (not in your genres, but really one of the reasons to own a PSP)
#313 Posted by Dantethayer1 (569 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dantethayer1"]

jedinat

GTA Chinatown Wars (if you like GTA games; not really my thing) LocoRoco 2 Lunar Silver Star Harmony Monster Hunter Freedom Unite DJ Max Portable 2 (not in your genres, but really one of the reasons to own a PSP)

i think i will definitely get Lunar silver star harmony and all the others look good to thanks for the help!

#314 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

[QUOTE="jedinat"][QUOTE="Dantethayer1"]

Dantethayer1

i think i will definitely get Lunar silver star harmony and all the others look good to thanks for the help!

I second the recommendation on Lunar for sure...one of my top favorites on the PSP right now.

#315 Posted by Dantethayer1 (569 posts) -

it looks awesome from what i read from user reviews.

#316 Posted by Khadaj32 (3157 posts) -

Hey guys.

So, I'm finally buying a PSP (a 3000, not a GO) either this month or next. There are some no-brainer purchases for me, such as Crisis Core, FFT, Dissidia, Star Ocean, and Lunar. Just wanted to ask about Jeanne D'arc, though. It seems interesting, but how is the actual gameplay? Pretty deep strategy? Or disappointing? Also, I'm not too familiar with the hardware and its capabilities. Some things I need an A-OK on:

- Can connect the 3000 to the TV via cables?

- Am I able to download demos and games from the PSN? Or is that PSPGo only?

- Am I able to transfer PSOne titles from my PS3 to the 3000?

I think those are my main concerns. Pretty noobish, but I know absolutely nothing about the PSP. Thanks guys!

#317 Posted by blacknight06 (1422 posts) -

^ Yes to all of those

#318 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -
If you can wait longer, there is a metal gear solid pw bundle. In case your interested. Don't forget God of War.
#319 Posted by M_1_A_M_I (938 posts) -
[QUOTE="Khadaj32"]

Hey guys.

So, I'm finally buying a PSP (a 3000, not a GO) either this month or next. There are some no-brainer purchases for me, such as Crisis Core, FFT, Dissidia, Star Ocean, and Lunar. Just wanted to ask about Jeanne D'arc, though. It seems interesting, but how is the actual gameplay? Pretty deep strategy? Or disappointing? Also, I'm not too familiar with the hardware and its capabilities. Some things I need an A-OK on:

- Can connect the 3000 to the TV via cables?

- Am I able to download demos and games from the PSN? Or is that PSPGo only?

- Am I able to transfer PSOne titles from my PS3 to the 3000?

I think those are my main concerns. Pretty noobish, but I know absolutely nothing about the PSP. Thanks guys!

Haven't played Jeane d arc but for your questions 1. idk 2. all the psps can download demos in the psn store 3.yes
#320 Posted by Khadaj32 (3157 posts) -

^ Yes to all of those

blacknight06

Awesome, thanks! And to the other dude, I was thinking the Assassin's Creed Bundle, as it's going for a mere $129.99 at an independent games store near me. $129.99 is an awesome price for a PSP3000 alone, but hell, I'll take a game with it. Is AC: Bloodlines any good? And anyone know about Jeanne D'arc? Good SRPG?

#321 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -
Jeanne d'Arc is a must buy basing from your list. One of the best srpg out there imo. I highly recommend and the graphics is really good. AC has mix reviews, but if you look at the the players' reviews, it's mostly postive. Just don't expect it to be as good as it's console counter part and your good to go. Metal Gear Solid psp bundle on the psn is also good. $29 for 2 games mgs portable ops, mgs portable ops + and the mgs digital novel. And check some demos like syphon filter, I was surprise how good this game is, I didn't like the ps1 games but when I tried the demo, it was pretty good.
#322 Posted by Khadaj32 (3157 posts) -

Jeanne d'Arc is a must buy basing from your list. One of the best srpg out there imo. I highly recommend and the graphics is really good. AC has mix reviews, but if you look at the the players' reviews, it's mostly postive. Just don't expect it to be as good as it's console counter part and your good to go. Metal Gear Solid psp bundle on the psn is also good. $29 for 2 games mgs portable ops, mgs portable ops + and the mgs digital novel. And check some demos like syphon filter, I was surprise how good this game is, I didn't like the ps1 games but when I tried the demo, it was pretty good.anbu-black-ops

Sweet. Jeanne d'Arc is on the list then, as well as Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep and Valkyria Chronicles 2 when they come out. There are other I want, like GoW and MGS, but RPG's/SRPG's always get priority xD

#323 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -
Don't forget persona 3 portable. Can't wait to play that game. If you like side scroller, check out Castlevania chronicle x. It has symphony of the night as an unlockable game.
#324 Posted by Khadaj32 (3157 posts) -

Don't forget persona 3 portable. Can't wait to play that game. If you like side scroller, check out Castlevania chronicle x. It has symphony of the night as an unlockable game.anbu-black-ops

Sold.

#325 Posted by Armored_ (186 posts) -
can anyone tell me if dantes inferno for the psp will be a good buy? I've already completed most bigs on the psp(including GOW-COU) and would like something interesting and addictive to play. right now im playing chinatown wars,its awesome.
#326 Posted by ForsakenWicked (3730 posts) -
Hi, I'm currently interested in Monster Hunter and I see there are some MH games for the PSP. Can anyone tell me which ones are worth getting? Thanks in advance.
#327 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -
There is a demo on psn. When I tried MH Unite I was hook. It's better and there's a cat that helps you too. Try it first. and go to ebay. They sometimes sell those games around $15 or less brand new.
#328 Posted by spookykid143 (10393 posts) -

Could someone recommend me a good long RPG.

#329 Posted by ForsakenWicked (3730 posts) -
There is a demo on psn. When I tried MH Unite I was hook. It's better and there's a cat that helps you too. Try it first. and go to ebay. They sometimes sell those games around $15 or less brand new.anbu-black-ops
Thanks man. I'll certainly pick up MHFU. I was wondering whats the difference between MHU and MHFU. Do you know what it is?
#330 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

Could someone recommend me a good long RPG.

spookykid143

Either of the Final Fantasy remakes should last you a while, and I've heard Lunar lasts 30-40 hours, so that should work too.

#331 Posted by viva_hate (2414 posts) -

[QUOTE="anbu-black-ops"]There is a demo on psn. When I tried MH Unite I was hook. It's better and there's a cat that helps you too. Try it first. and go to ebay. They sometimes sell those games around $15 or less brand new.ForsakenWicked
Thanks man. I'll certainly pick up MHFU. I was wondering whats the difference between MHU and MHFU. Do you know what it is?

There were two Monster Hunter Freedom games on the PSP before Unite, MHF and MHF2. MHF2 is an entirely new game, a true sequel to the first MHF, whereas Unite is MHF2 with bonus missions, more monsters and AI companions. So I recommend you just get MHFU.

#332 Posted by ForsakenWicked (3730 posts) -

[QUOTE="ForsakenWicked"][QUOTE="anbu-black-ops"]There is a demo on psn. When I tried MH Unite I was hook. It's better and there's a cat that helps you too. Try it first. and go to ebay. They sometimes sell those games around $15 or less brand new.viva_hate

There were two Monster Hunter Freedom games on the PSP before Unite, MHF and MHF2. MHF2 is an entirely new game, a true sequel to the first MHF, whereas Unite is MHF2 with bonus missions, more monsters and AI companions. So I recommend you just get MHFU.

Ok, thanks for the info.

#333 Posted by ForsakenWicked (3730 posts) -
Hey, I currently have 30 USD on my PSN account and I've been thinking about what to get with it. I already plan on buying FF7. I'd like to get Silent Hill, FF Tactics, and maybe some other PSone classics. Are they really good to play on PSP or do they have issues? Also, is there any good DLC for LBP PSP that is worth buying? Thanks in advance.
#334 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

Hey, I currently have 30 USD on my PSN account and I've been thinking about what to get with it. I already plan on buying FF7. I'd like to get Silent Hill, FF Tactics, and maybe some other PSone classics. Are they really good to play on PSP or do they have issues? Also, is there any good DLC for LBP PSP that is worth buying? Thanks in advance.ForsakenWicked

I'd say FF VII and VIII are definitely worth picking up at 10$ each.Both run very well on the PSP from what I've played of them(almost all of8 and maybe a couple hours into7).Only thing is you'll need a 4 gig opening to get both together. If you have the 1000-3000 series PSP, I'd recommend going with the War of the Lions version of Tactics, because it's supposed to be better when it comes to translation, graphics, etc.

#335 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -
Grandia. A very good rpg. Get that one too.
#336 Posted by levis315315 (43 posts) -
I missed the first one and last one ,LOL
#337 Posted by TEH_RADIO (418 posts) -

Ive been thinking of buying a SH game. Should I buy SH1 (psone classic) or dish out the extra 10 and get origins? THanks

#338 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -
silent hill shattered memories is a remake of silent hill 1. Silent origin is a prequel. If it was me, I would get either the 2 since they have better graphics and overall good.
#339 Posted by lafiro93 (2076 posts) -

Guys, is GT worth getting? i kind of want a fun racing game but i am not sure the GT, Forza type is fun. Also i was thinking about getting a fighting game, i have SC and i wanted to ask if tekken was any good, and which one?

I have never played a GT or Tekken game before so it'll be new to me.

Thanks!

#340 Posted by Daavpuke (13769 posts) -
I'm not a race fan myself, but I only heard very good things about Gran Turismo on PSP. So I'd go for it.
#341 Posted by lafiro93 (2076 posts) -

Well people say they like it but it sorta got bad reviews so i am not sure.

#342 Posted by siLVURcross (26106 posts) -
silent hill shattered memories is a remake of silent hill 1. Silent origin is a prequel. If it was me, I would get either the 2 since they have better graphics and overall good.anbu-black-ops
It's not exactly a remaking. It's more of a reimaging. There's a difference.
#343 Posted by jamesm7786 (1074 posts) -

Guys, is GT worth getting? i kind of want a fun racing game but i am not sure the GT, Forza type is fun. Also i was thinking about getting a fighting game, i have SC and i wanted to ask if tekken was any good, and which one?

Thanks!

lafiro93

What type of racing games are you into? You may like GT on PSP because it does not have a career mode, so it's basically just a bunch of racing.

#344 Posted by rezpatriot (614 posts) -
[QUOTE="jamesm7786"]

[QUOTE="lafiro93"]

Thanks!

What type of racing games are you into? You may like GT on PSP because it does not have a career mode, so it's basically just a bunch of racing.

Colin Macrae is any good on PSP? I played it on the larger consoles and loved it !! Today I brought Beaterator by Rockstar. I think its gonna be awful but hopefully, when I am bored, then it will keep me amused.
#345 Posted by pspfanboy6 (91 posts) -

hmm where are the recommendations of psp mini games? I would like to see those lol

#346 Posted by jamesm7786 (1074 posts) -

hmm where are the recommendations of psp mini games? I would like to see those lol

pspfanboy6

As would I, because I am not so informed about minis... i do like crystal defenders though...

#347 Posted by spookykid143 (10393 posts) -

Could someone recommend me a good open world game. Besides the three gta's i have already played them.

#348 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

Anyone played through Fate/Unlimited Codes? I've been considering giving it a try, and I've heard mostly positive reviews, I just don't know if it's worth the 30$ or not.

#349 Posted by Blabadon (25949 posts) -

pspfanboy6
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess is said to be the best.
#350 Posted by rubedisky (1024 posts) -

Do you recommend Modnation racers if I don't like mario kart?