PSP Recommendation Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#201 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

Hey guys. For Christmas, I was thinking about getting a PSP 3000. If I do get one, I was hoping you guys could list some games that are worth buying for my first few games. I enjoy playing role-playing games, like Final Fantasy (NO ANIME PLEASE). I enjoy sports, but I think I will stick to my PS3 for sports games. I also enjoy playing action/adventure...like Uncharted or Grand Theft Auto. So, anything like that, just post here! Thanks!!!

scass319

I'd definitely recommend picking up Final Fantasy 1. From what I've played of it so far, it's worth your money, especially since you're a FF fan anyway.

#202 Posted by scass319 (480 posts) -

ok thanks!

#203 Posted by Chester_Diamond (323 posts) -

Tekken Dark Res. or Tekken 6?

RockinTheCasbah

Bump

#204 Posted by Chester_Diamond (323 posts) -

Okay i got the PSP like a little over a month ago, and so far i only have 4 games for it.

Dissidia Final Fantasy

Crisis Core FFVII

Final Fantasy II

and Metal Gear Solid Portable OPS

well..as you can see..i'm either an RPG fan as well as an Metal Gear Fan..and well..i just want to know what other games should i pick up for my PSP that are along the lines similar to these games?

MizunoMirai

Final Fantasy 1

#205 Posted by RockinTheCasbah (441 posts) -

[QUOTE="RockinTheCasbah"]

Chester_Diamond

Bump

Thanks, nobody has responded to this yet. Somebody want to help me out?

#206 Posted by blacknight06 (1422 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chester_Diamond"]

RockinTheCasbah

Bump

Tekken DR has more game modes

Tekken 6 has a larger roster

#207 Posted by RockinTheCasbah (441 posts) -

[QUOTE="Chester_Diamond"]

Bump

blacknight06

Tekken DR has more game modes

Tekken 6 has a larger roster

Alright, thanks Blacknight.

#208 Posted by RaaaJon (33 posts) -

Very accurate recommendation list!

#209 Posted by Blabadon (25629 posts) -

yeah does anyone else know a good action rpg besides mh and cc?

I have both, so yeah...

#210 Posted by RockinTheCasbah (441 posts) -

I have both, so yeah...

Blabadon

God of War: Chains of Olympus (its rated M though so if you are a kid you won't be able to get it yourself, you will need an adult to get it for you). It's a very good game, but it's pretty short. I found that it had alright replayability though, and there are four difficulties to beat it on, and extra events and costumes.

Yeah I know, it's everyone's dream to annhialate enemies with Kratos while he wears a giant potato costume :lol:

#211 Posted by Chaay (315 posts) -

Hi everyone, after getting more Xbox 360 games than anticipated, my planned purchases for PSP will be cut short. I have narrowed my choice down to three, I think, and I will only be purchasing one, maybe two, of these:

• Little Big Planet PSP
  • Prinny: Can I Really Be the Hero?
  • Half-minute Hero

If anyone could chime in, I'm really wondering about the longevity of these three. I heard Prinny was super challenging, which seems fun, but much on the short side, with limited re-playability? Same with Half-minute Hero, I read there were 120 quests, but with those essentially taking just 30 seconds per, I'd imagine the campaign is short-lived. And as for LBP PSP, I was really impressed with the demo and the free(?) map downloads, along with the ability to create your own stages, seems to make this title out to have insane replay value.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

#212 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -

Hi everyone, after getting more Xbox 360 games than anticipated, my planned purchases for PSP will be cut short. I have narrowed my choice down to three, I think, and I will only be purchasing one, maybe two, of these:

• Little Big Planet PSP
  • Half-minute Hero

If anyone could chime in, I'm really wondering about the longevity of these three. I heard Prinny was super challenging, which seems fun, but much on the short side, with limited re-playability? Same with Half-minute Hero, I read there were 120 quests, but with those essentially taking just 30 seconds per, I'd imagine the campaign is short-lived. And as for LBP PSP, I was really impressed with the demo and the free(?) map downloads, along with the ability to create your own stages, seems to make this title out to have insane replay value.

Chaay
I'd advise you against Prinny. I picked it up on sale. Sure, it's challenging, but not due to excellent level design or clever puzzles but due to poor gameplay. When you jump, you're either jumping straight up or at a set angle to the left or right- trying to change direction mid-air doesn't yield any results. It ends up feeling overally stiff. The levels may actually be good if the jumping was good, since they seem pretty tricky in their own right...but it's hard to tell since we don't have decent jumping mechanics.
#213 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
Curious. I'm one of the few people who has never played Final Fantasy 7 (haven't played any as far as I can remember...maybe one way back on the SNES), so I had considered picking it up off of PSN. But I know that Crisis Core is a prequel of sorts and if I'm going to play a series, I'd prefer chronological order. If Crisis Core hits PSN sometime in the next month or two, is it worth picking up before playing FF7 or should I just skip it all together?
#214 Posted by RockinTheCasbah (441 posts) -

Curious. I'm one of the few people who has never played Final Fantasy 7 (haven't played any as far as I can remember...maybe one way back on the SNES), so I had considered picking it up off of PSN. But I know that Crisis Core is a prequel of sorts and if I'm going to play a series, I'd prefer chronological order. If Crisis Core hits PSN sometime in the next month or two, is it worth picking up before playing FF7 or should I just skip it all together?LongZhiZi

Well, seeing as you aren't a die hard Final Fantasy fan, I think you could enjoy Crisis Core. Many people thought that because it was not the traditional turn-based combat rpg, it sucked. But if you are a fan of real-time action rpgs, then you may want to look into it. The one strange thing about the game is the levelling system. It uses DMW, basically a slot machine, and if you land on triple 7s (it spins during combat) you gain a level. Many people did not like the luck element, and preffered to grind instead, but you can still grind, because if you are in battle mode enough, you will eventually get triple 7s.

#215 Posted by Blabadon (25629 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]

I have both, so yeah...

RockinTheCasbah

God of War: Chains of Olympus (its rated M though so if you are a kid you won't be able to get it yourself, you will need an adult to get it for you). It's a very good game, but it's pretty short. I found that it had alright replayability though, and there are four difficulties to beat it on, and extra events and costumes.

Yeah I know, it's everyone's dream to annhialate enemies with Kratos while he wears a giant potato costume :lol:

thanks, but i beat that already and need an action rpg, not exactly action adeventure

#216 Posted by paperdollparade (1915 posts) -
[QUOTE="Chaay"]

• Little Big Planet PSP
  • Half-minute Hero

LongZhiZi
I'd advise you against Prinny. I picked it up on sale. Sure, it's challenging, but not due to excellent level design or clever puzzles but due to poor gameplay. When you jump, you're either jumping straight up or at a set angle to the left or right- trying to change direction mid-air doesn't yield any results. It ends up feeling overally stiff. The levels may actually be good if the jumping was good, since they seem pretty tricky in their own right...but it's hard to tell since we don't have decent jumping mechanics.

i had the same feelings about prinny, i just didn't like the way they handled jumping. wait for a sale if you want to pick it up.
#217 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]Curious. I'm one of the few people who has never played Final Fantasy 7 (haven't played any as far as I can remember...maybe one way back on the SNES), so I had considered picking it up off of PSN. But I know that Crisis Core is a prequel of sorts and if I'm going to play a series, I'd prefer chronological order. If Crisis Core hits PSN sometime in the next month or two, is it worth picking up before playing FF7 or should I just skip it all together?RockinTheCasbah

Well, seeing as you aren't a die hard Final Fantasy fan, I think you could enjoy Crisis Core. Many people thought that because it was not the traditional turn-based combat rpg, it sucked. But if you are a fan of real-time action rpgs, then you may want to look into it. The one strange thing about the game is the levelling system. It uses DMW, basically a slot machine, and if you land on triple 7s (it spins during combat) you gain a level. Many people did not like the luck element, and preffered to grind instead, but you can still grind, because if you are in battle mode enough, you will eventually get triple 7s.

Well I do like action RPGS, so that won't be a problem. I was just more curious whether its story adds enough to the general arc (CC + FF7) that it was worth playing first. If it doesn't add much, I'll probably just try out FF7 for the first time. But if it really expands upon the world, then I'd rather wait for CC so as to play out events as they happened as opposed to knowing what's going to happen because I played later events first.
#218 Posted by RockinTheCasbah (441 posts) -

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]Curious. I'm one of the few people who has never played Final Fantasy 7 (haven't played any as far as I can remember...maybe one way back on the SNES), so I had considered picking it up off of PSN. But I know that Crisis Core is a prequel of sorts and if I'm going to play a series, I'd prefer chronological order. If Crisis Core hits PSN sometime in the next month or two, is it worth picking up before playing FF7 or should I just skip it all together?LongZhiZi

Well I do like action RPGS, so that won't be a problem. I was just more curious whether its story adds enough to the general arc (CC + FF7) that it was worth playing first. If it doesn't add much, I'll probably just try out FF7 for the first time. But if it really expands upon the world, then I'd rather wait for CC so as to play out events as they happened as opposed to knowing what's going to happen because I played later events first.

In that case, don't wait. Crisis Core is more of a side story in my opinion. You learn a little about Cloud and why he hates Shinra, but not much else is told about characters that appear in FF7. It still is a good game, and you shoukd get it eventually, even if you play FF7 first.

#219 Posted by Chester_Diamond (323 posts) -

Curious. I'm one of the few people who has never played Final Fantasy 7 (haven't played any as far as I can remember...maybe one way back on the SNES), so I had considered picking it up off of PSN. But I know that Crisis Core is a prequel of sorts and if I'm going to play a series, I'd prefer chronological order. If Crisis Core hits PSN sometime in the next month or two, is it worth picking up before playing FF7 or should I just skip it all together?LongZhiZi

I strongly advise playing FF7 first, u appreciate the stroy in CC more if u play FF7. plus FF7 is a game that shouldnt be missed by anyone imo

#220 Posted by willtsherman (667 posts) -

should i get castlevania. i have never played a castlevania before

#221 Posted by FallofAthens (2026 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blabadon"]

I have both, so yeah...

Blabadon

thanks, but i beat that already and need an action rpg, not exactly action adeventure

Perhaps Phantasy Star Portable might be something worth looking into. Haven't exactly played it myself but it seems rather popular. Also games like, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Dungeon siege or Untold Legends may be something to feel the need for an action RPG.

#222 Posted by FallofAthens (2026 posts) -

should i get castlevania. i have never played a castlevania before

willtsherman

You should. It's a great game that's worth a shot. (which I suppose your talking about Castlevania Rondo of Blood) Thuogh be forewarned the game is rather difficult, or at least it was for me.

#223 Posted by paperdollparade (1915 posts) -

I was thinking of picking up Jeanne D'arc, but I have a few questions before I do.

is there anything that sets this apart from your standard SRPG? It looks like a standard noob freindly SRPG, is the game any challange or is it a push over in comparrison to FFT and Wild Arms xf? how much grinding is there?is strategy nessesary or is it just grind until you overpower?how involved are the pre-battle preparations?

How is the story?Are there Japanese audio tracks or is it english only? if it is english only how are the dubs?

I've played a lot of SRPGs so I'm not looking for one that's going to coddle me, unless the story and characters are exceptional. right now my favorite SRPG on the psp is Wild Arms xf if that helps at all with giving advise.

#224 Posted by FstBrk342 (1500 posts) -

so after being PSPless for 1-2 years now, a friend of mine is giving me his PSP-1000 for free. i already have a PS3 so i wont really use the PSP as often but i want it for on the go gaming, say downtime at school. name a couple of good games that would be best for this kind of gaming. appreciate the help.

#226 Posted by rwallacefan (4886 posts) -

is there any games out there that have a lot of action and the abilty to replay missions?

and also any RPGs where you can free roam around the map and have random encounters, with purchasing weapsons and leveling up the character as you go? besides final fantasy

#227 Posted by ston3henge (2732 posts) -

is there any games out there that have a lot of action and the abilty to replay missions?

and also any RPGs where you can free roam around the map and have random encounters, with purchasing weapsons and leveling up the character as you go? besides final fantasy

rwallacefan

I'm looking for a similar suggestion in an RPG I could get for my 10 yr old nephew who is completely new to the genre but is interested. I think something along the lines of the new re-make of "Lunar" might be perfect, where there's anime cut scenes and flashy, colorful presentation but not too involved in the minutia of say, "FFVIII" which is quite complex. "Lunar" doesn't hit stateside for another few months, is there anything someone can suggest in the meantime, to get his feet soakin' before "Lunar" comes out?

Thanks!

#228 Posted by Emandudeguy (261 posts) -

rwallacefan

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror or Logan's Shadow.

Also, The Warriors.

#229 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -

nice game that has alot ofreplay value.

#230 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

nice game that has alot ofreplay value.

anbu-black-ops

I assume you're actually asking a question here?

#231 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -
^ Forgot this ? What nice game that has alot of replay value?
#232 Posted by Genesis_123 (3948 posts) -
Anybody know which downloadable EU title would be best for me? I'm an RPG and an action gamer mostly. I'm already planning to get disgaea off the EU store.
#233 Posted by jedinat (3560 posts) -
Anybody know which downloadable EU title would be best for me? I'm an RPG and an action gamer mostly. I'm already planning to get disgaea off the EU store.Genesis_123
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
#234 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

^ Forgot this ? What nice game that has alot of replay value?anbu-black-ops

For me, the two games that I find myself playing the most are Dissidia and Rock Band: Unplugged. Maybe one of those would be good?

#235 Posted by vbiancarde (9 posts) -
very rox
#236 Posted by Genesis_123 (3948 posts) -
Got that already! :D
#237 Posted by FrostyGopher (414 posts) -
Hi, I just got a psp 3000, but I only have ratchet and clank: size matters, and patapon. Which games should I get? I have $24 on my psn wallet as well, but I'm saving that to get mlb 10, unless there is something great on the ps store. I like mostly any games, are there any really good RPGs, or online shooters? But really, I'm just looking for any game reccomendations. Thanks!
#238 Posted by jedinat (3560 posts) -
[QUOTE="FrostyGopher"]Hi, I just got a psp 3000, but I only have ratchet and clank: size matters, and patapon. Which games should I get? I have $24 on my psn wallet as well, but I'm saving that to get mlb 10, unless there is something great on the ps store. I like mostly any games, are there any really good RPGs, or online shooters? But really, I'm just looking for any game reccomendations. Thanks!

DJ Max Portable 2 (DJ Max games are one of the best reasons to own a PSP) Monster Hunter Freedom Unite (though you might want to hold off if you have a Wii) Pangya: Fantasy Golf (my favorite sports game on the system) Half-Minute Hero (fun little RPG spin-off) GTA Chinatown Wars (must-have if you like GTA games... hit or miss if you're tired of them) LocoRoco 2 (a good PSP exclusive if you are not allergic to cute) Tetris (the best portable version of tetris there is) PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe (if you like tower defense games) WipeOut Pulse (great if you dont already have WipeOut on PS3)
#239 Posted by RAGINGxPONY (1452 posts) -

so after being PSPless for 1-2 years now, a friend of mine is giving me his PSP-1000 for free. i already have a PS3 so i wont really use the PSP as often but i want it for on the go gaming, say downtime at school. name a couple of good games that would be best for this kind of gaming. appreciate the help.

FstBrk342

You might like some of the minis on the PSN for really quick gaming like that. There is actually a Mini review thread floating aroun this board right now so you might want to check that out.

#240 Posted by eejus (243 posts) -

If you are looking for a good ol' classic JRPG I would recommend Crimson Gem Saga. I have been playing for about 12 hours and it is classic JRPG style done right with a refressing new skill system that make level grinding more worth while and level grinding you will need to do. Grinding is easier due to decently speedy combat. The story so far is nothing to go crazy about but it's above average with very well written dialog with some voice acting. The game looks good...period. I thought I would put this on the recommedation thread because I see many posts that say, "I'm looking for a good RPG." or something similar. I highly recommend this one as a game that sticks to the classic JRPG formula but is still new and refreshing to play...it's like a Coke on a warm afternoon.

#241 Posted by jedinat (3560 posts) -

If you are looking for a good ol' classic JRPG I would recommend Crimson Gem Saga. I have been playing for about 12 hours and it is classic JRPG style done right with a refressing new skill system that make level grinding more worth while and level grinding you will need to do. Grinding is easier due to decently speedy combat. The story so far is nothing to go crazy about but it's above average with very well written dialog with some voice acting. The game looks good...period. I thought I would put this on the recommedation thread because I see many posts that say, "I'm looking for a good RPG." or something similar. I highly recommend this one as a game that sticks to the classic JRPG formula but is still new and refreshing to play...it's like a Coke on a warm afternoon.

eejus
The dialogue is not well-written, and the dungeons are pointlessly maze-y. Characters are pathetic and the whole game has this cheap Korean feel (like those shallow MMOs)... all shiny and pretty but with paper-thin depth... not to mention boring combat.
#242 Posted by allblacks448 (88 posts) -

Anyone know a real good rpg out there? I like the turn based and action rpgs. I only like srpgs if strategy is a real factor in it. I have been finding it really hard to find a new game since playing KH 358/2 days (i know it is a ds game but its still on topic) because of the familiarity of the characters so i need something with a captivating story. I have tried Crisis Core but at the early stages of the game it isnt doing much for me. I have had a look at the reccomended games but there isnt enough detail, i know that i could look at the review but i would like some of your opinions on games.

AB448

#243 Posted by lafiro93 (2076 posts) -

I want a new psp game and i cant choose between monster hunter united or socom 3. People have told me that Monster hunter is a really hard game and i dont know about a FPS on a handheld

HELP!

#244 Posted by blacknight06 (1422 posts) -

^ its a third-person shooter and I haven't played MH so idk

#245 Posted by lafiro93 (2076 posts) -

Yeah i forgot about that, anyone else plz

#246 Posted by GigabyteM (26 posts) -
no information about KH BBS US Release Date?
#247 Posted by RockinTheCasbah (441 posts) -

Anyone know a real good rpg out there? I like the turn based and action rpgs. I only like srpgs if strategy is a real factor in it. I have been finding it really hard to find a new game since playing KH 358/2 days (i know it is a ds game but its still on topic) because of the familiarity of the characters so i need something with a captivating story. I have tried Crisis Core but at the early stages of the game it isnt doing much for me. I have had a look at the reccomended games but there isnt enough detail, i know that i could look at the review but i would like some of your opinions on games.

AB448

allblacks448

Well, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep if you liked 358/2 Days, but I don't know when it'll be released in America. Also, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of The Lions is supposed to be quite good, if you like RPGs with a grid-based attack system (if you don't know what I mean, look for gameplay videos on GS or Youtube).

#248 Posted by FastrThanyou (37 posts) -
I haven't touched my psp in.. well I think since a couple weeks after I bought it years ago, what has come out thats really good? I mean I played ff7 and god of war, those where awesome games but everything else at the time seemed like garbage.
#249 Posted by AaronDude33 (2 posts) -
I'm looking for a new RPG for the PSP. I've already played breath of fire 3 years ago on the PSX and I do not want to do it again. I downloaded FF7 months ago hoping for a great game and have been slowly playing it but haven't got too far. I decided to give FF7 a shot because I have never attempted playing it before because I thought it was over hyped and too popular at the time. Maybe I should of done it ten years ago because I've tried playing it but to be honest I can't get into it. I don't like the ATBS and I'm sure it will 'cause me problems if I go further into the game. I played FF8 and never completed it because the ATBS had me stuck because I kept taking to long to choose what I'm going to do. So back to what I'm looking for. I want a pure turn based RPG that is easy. I'm not good enough to play anything that is too difficult. I also don't like all those hack n slash RPGs, those just give me somewhat of a hart attack and I'm not good at them anyway. I'm also not too excited about strategy RPGs, because they're a little too complicated for me. I've been looking at Astonishia Story, Crimsom Gem Saga, Persona and Lunar Silver Star Harmony. Lunar looks like the nicest one in the previews but I'm concerned about the length and difficulty. I just can't play a game for 100 hours anymore like BOF3. What would you guys reccommend? I'm hoping to maybe splurge and pick up two or three that could last me the next couple of years.
#250 Posted by anbu-black-ops (2380 posts) -
^ Lunar is good, I think this one is perfect for you. Make sure to get that one when it's available :) Persona 1 psp is hard so try to avoid that one but persona 3 portable is worth a look though, but you might be overwhelmed by the gameplay mechanics. Really. I hear crimson gem saga is very old school rpg with turn base gameplay, but you have to grind alot I hear too. Try Star ocean second story. There's a chance you might like this one. It's alot better than crimson gem story imo. Btw people, Resistance retribution is on sale today at amazon for $14 (2/13). It would be nice if there was a section for game deals.