PSP Recommendation Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by FallofAthens (2026 posts) -

I looking for a good PSP game that I can play online via wi-fi. Dosnt really matter if it a shooter or a racing game. Maybe theres other genres to? Like Rockband? I was thinking of eather Motorstorm, Wipeout Pulse or Resistance. Maybe you have some favs?

And second question. Is it worth getting Phantasy Star Portable if I dont have any people to play with localy?

thanks

FunkyOrange

If your looking for a game for some online entertainment, Resistance and Medal of Honor both seem to have great online multiplayer-- and is still going on. But be forewarned hackers tend to ruin the fun a lot of times with games like these.

#152 Posted by MizunoMirai (7 posts) -

Okay i got the PSP like a little over a month ago, and so far i only have 4 games for it.

Dissidia Final Fantasy

Crisis Core FFVII

Final Fantasy II

and Metal Gear Solid Portable OPS

well..as you can see..i'm either an RPG fan as well as an Metal Gear Fan..and well..i just want to know what other games should i pick up for my PSP that are along the lines similar to these games?

#153 Posted by FallofAthens (2026 posts) -

Okay i got the PSP like a little over a month ago, and so far i only have 4 games for it.

Dissidia Final Fantasy

Crisis Core FFVII

Final Fantasy II

well..as you can see..i'm either an RPG fan as well as an Metal Gear Fan..and well..i just want to know what other games should i pick up for my PSP that are along the lines similar to these games?

MizunoMirai

You should give Metal Gear Acid! a try. It's rather slow paced, being a turn based strategy game (with cards) but the story is good and Metal-Gearish and, really, it's dirt cheap on my online stores. Second, though I still haven't been able to play it, I've heard good things about Brave Story. If you have access to the internet and able to purchase things of the PSN store, I'd recommend picking up Suikoden and Wild Arms as well as Final Fantasy VII if you haven't had a chance to play these old PS1 games back in the day. Other than that, maybe some other turn based Strategy games such as Disgea or Jeanne D' Arc would be to your liking.

#154 Posted by saeed97 (1 posts) -

Very, very great image and this is the best game Resistance: Retribution, and also this game God of War: Chains of Olympus and the game Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops and the game Tekken: Dark Resurrection and the game Daxter

#155 Posted by Indie_Hitman (2457 posts) -
[QUOTE="MizunoMirai"]

Dissidia Final Fantasy

Crisis Core FFVII

Final Fantasy II

Whats Final Fantasy II like? Similar to VII?
#156 Posted by z827 (4604 posts) -

I recommend... (And some of my "stay-away" from games.)

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite(As well.. :P ) Pros : Unique addictive gameplay that requires quite a bit of skill ;Weapon variety andeach weapon have their own merits so you willtend to find one of your liking. Cons : Can get really fustrating at times ; No practical storyline ; About 70% of it is similar to the older Freedom but this is still a must get.

Phantasy Star Portable Pros : Addictive gameplay ; Decent gaming features ; Unique cast of characters and weapons ; Lots of stylish or cute weapons and effects ; Multiple endings ; Skill and Job variety ;Lots of customization options for your main character.Cons: Easy but annoyingly long to collect everything in the game ; Online missions can be played solo but some missions definitely require 2 people ; Can get really easy after a while ; Only the Japanese version can have downloadable content.

Fate/Unlimited Codes Pros : Must have for Fate fans.Each character have a unique Special Attack.Some characters have a somewhat hilarious ending while the others are dark and gloomy andthe rest are happily ever afters.Cons : Little relevation of the original plot. Doesn't last too long. Each character have their own Plot in Arcade mode,which would be confusing to those who don't actually know anything about the Fate series ; Maps lack variety and creativity ; no Knockouts / Ring Outs ; Some Characters are very overpowered. (A matter of skill but some characters are relatively....Overpowered.Gilgamesh for example.He excels in melee and ranged attacks so even a mediocre player can kill an experienced player with him.) ; Combos are fustratingly long (If your enemy or you yourself is skilled,you can trap your enemies in extremely long combos.) ; Not much decent unlockables ; You won't know what some characters are talking about and you can't get some puns and jokes if your not knowledgeable of the Fate series.

Disgaea 1 & 2 Pros : Light hearted storyline ; Addictive gameplay ; Unique system and features and quite alot of unlockables.Fullyvoiced plot conversations.DecentAnime portraits.Cons : Gets a bit too light hearted at times ; Most unlockables require a second playthrough ; Not for those who prefer to rush things ; lacks Cinematic cutscenes.

Star Ocean 1 & 2 Pros : Great plot ; Unique cast of characters ; Decent gameplay ; slight variation of storyline depending on theCharacters you have ; Can reach beyond the typicalLvl. 99 or 100.Decent portraits.When you visit townsvia the Personal Action system,you tend to see your team mates doing something funny for comedy relief.Cons : Unable to collect all the characters in a singleplaythrough; Not much Cinematic cutscenes.

Valkyrie Profile : Lenneth Pros : Unique plot,3 different endings.Decent gameplay.Well drawn portraits.Movie Viewer allows player to view their favourite Cinematic scenesonce more.Cons : The best ending is fustratingly hard to get if you don't refer to guides.Difficulty of bonus stage doesn't increase as you grow stronger so it gets boring on the 3rd or 4th try.Voice Samples are time consuming to collect.You will find yourself repeating the game again and again to collect everything ; Lack roaming freedom due to period limit.

Final Fantasy Tactics : War of the LionsPros : Considerably long plot ; challenging gameplay ; multiple jobs.Unique Artwork.Cons : Can get pretty hard at times.

Warriors Orochi 1 & 2 Pros : Decent replacement of the PS2 version ; Chaos Mode can actually be quite challenging ; Have characters from bothSamurai Warriors and Dynasty Warriors ; Warrior Orochi 2 havea Dream Mode,which involves the Behind the Scenes sort of battles,comical battles and unlikely alliances. (The girlsgroup up against the men,for example,even Da Ji joined in.)Cons : The PS2 version have certain features that the PSP version doesn't have but the truth holds like wise for the PSP version...I think I recommend the PSP version.

Final Fantasy I or II Pros : Strong plot ; decent RPG gameplay. Cons : Not for those who prefer intense combat and high quality graphics ; low replay value.

Crisis Core Pros : Strong plot ; Unique DMW System ; Action - RPG elements. ;Decent musicCons : Materia System isn't similar to that of FFVII of PS1 ; Lack roaming freedom ; Low replay value.

Prinny : Can I really be the Hero? Pros : Comedy plot ; Great inclusion to the Disgaea series ; Action Adventure 2D Gameplay. Cons : Not for those who prefer serious storyline ; You won't get some of the jokes if your not used to Disgaea.

Dynasty Warriors : Strikeforce Pros : Unique gameplay compared to it's previous series ; RPG - Action elements. Cons : Still sticking to the same plot (I know it's restricted by history...but hey...China have alot of eras and dynasties.)

Metal Gear Solid : Portable Ops Pros : Similar to it's PS1 and PS2 versions ; Unique plot that fills up the gaps of MTGS ; Interesting new gameplay feature Cons : Stamina Bar...It's not like MTGS 3 of which you can easily find food to replenish it ; the Expansion Pack's content is the size of a patch,unless your a die hard fan,don't get the expansion.

Jeanne D'Arc Pros : Several unique features for a Tactical game ; Decent plot based off the legend of Jeanne D'Arc,the Heroine of France ; Decent amount of voicing ;Movies are Anime :PCons : Overall atypical Tactical gameplay ; low replay value.

Dissidia : Final Fantasy Pros : Simple controls compared to most Fighting games ; light RPG elements ; Decent plot and music ; Unique move set and system ; lots of unlockables (which are mainly gameplay elements.) ; Unique battle system.Decent collection of maps and music.Cons : A good game but definitely not the best ; Battles last for a very short time since it's easy to collect Brave Points and finish your foes quickly ; Once your used to this,even the strongest foes are easy.

Star Wars : Renegade Squadron Pros : Decent replacement for the console versions ; decent features and gameplay Cons : Doesn't last long if you don't have any companians to play with you ; not as good as the console versions.

Star Wars : The Force Unleashed Pros : A prequel that describes the past events of Star Wars so it's perfect for Star War fans; Decent gameplay ; Multiple costumes (Including Darth Vader.) Cons : All Jedi have pretty much the same moves ; Doesn't last for long ; Again,it'll be better if you can get the console version ; You might find the plot somewhat boring if your not a fan of Star Wars. (*points at self* )

Soul Calibur : Broken Destiny Pros : Retains most of the combat features of the main series ;Many partsfor Creation Mode ; Comedy plot. Cons : The plot can get somewhat boring ; The Story mode is meant for those who are new to Soul Calibur (About 90% of it is Tutorial.) ; Cannot adjust the physical size of characters in Customization ; I never liked the face selection for Customization of Soul Calibur.. :P ; Can get really boring so it's better if you hold onto the Console version if you have it.

#157 Posted by Chiddaling (9106 posts) -
Needs to be updated :/
#158 Posted by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -
Needs to be updated :/Chiddaling
Yeah I know I've been busy. What games have recently come out that need to be put on the list?
#159 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

Are the PSPJak and Daxter(The Lost Frontier, or Daxter)games worth playing if I'm new to the series? Because they both look good, I just don't know if it's worth it if I can't keep up with the story or not.

#160 Posted by Gangstah-Fresh (510 posts) -

Are the PSPJak and Daxter(The Lost Frontier, or Daxter)games worth playing if I'm new to the series? Because they both look good, I just don't know if it's worth it if I can't keep up with the story or not.

Luigi12901
I just saw the new new Jak and Daxter game on the network myself and am wondering if it would be any good. I am very new to the series and really don't any much cartoonie games.
#161 Posted by Panzeram (653 posts) -

Haven't been here in a while, but can anyone tell me if Alien Syndrome is worth 15.99? Thats how much its being sold for on PSN, and it seemed somewhat interesting to me, despite the reviews.

#162 Posted by Flip2Flow (84 posts) -
Great list son, GTA LCS and GTA VCS, and Gow Chains of olympys are my favorites. (:
#163 Posted by EyeShatteredSky (1510 posts) -

I bought Chinatown Wars on the DS a while back, but I noticed that PSN has it up for sale on the PSP. I'm wondering, are there any significant differences between the two to justify the 40$ tag, or are the changes done just minor?

#164 Posted by Generalmojo (3670 posts) -

This thread was just what i was looking for, thanks :)

Sid Miers Pirates looks intresting...hmmmm ;)

#165 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -

I bought Chinatown Wars on the DS a while back, but I noticed that PSN has it up for sale on the PSP. I'm wondering, are there any significant differences between the two to justify the 40$ tag, or are the changes done just minor?

EyeShatteredSky
The sound quality has been improved as well as the visuals, and I do believe there are a few extra missions. Probably not enough to justify the upgrade, though. I like it a lot, but I don't own a DS either.
#166 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -

This thread was just what i was looking for, thanks :)

Sid Miers Pirates looks intresting...hmmmm ;)

Generalmojo
That game is actually quite fun. I played it a while back and found it quite enjoyable on the PSP. I wish they'd put it up on PSN.
#167 Posted by zwgiantsfan (501 posts) -

I just bought a PSP GO and this was very helpful.

Thx.

#168 Posted by ston3henge (2732 posts) -

Can anyone give me their impressions of the PSOne game off PSN, "Command & Conquer" or it's sister game "Red Alert"? I'd like to know how well it aged, and how it controls on the PSP... whether or not it's frustrating, etc.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

#169 Posted by noscrnam (5 posts) -
Can someone recommend games similar to Kingdom of Paradise and Untold Legends? Thanks
#170 Posted by ston3henge (2732 posts) -

Can someone recommend games similar to Kingdom of Paradise and Untold Legends? Thanksnoscrnam

"Dungeon Siege: Throne of Blood", possibly? It got a 6.8 here on GS for arating which I find, if you like a game genre, is enough of a vote to try it. Hope this helps!

#171 Posted by FallofAthens (2026 posts) -

Can anyone give me their impressions of the PSOne game off PSN, "Command & Conquer" or it's sister game "Red Alert"? I'd like to know how well it aged, and how it controls on the PSP... whether or not it's frustrating, etc.

Anyone? Thanks in advance!

ston3henge

Well I downloaded Red Alert a bit early today and finally got around to play testing it so heres my impressions:

Honestly I think it feels more natural on the PSP, I remember having troubles with the computer counterpart, mainly with shifting screen to show new area on the map. On this version it feels more crisp and less jumpy. Using the D-pad to scroll your curser feels good and precise and not that difficult to use on a pinch, either. The button layout is rather nice on the control scheme one. X is to select units, holding it down will allow you to drag a box over multiple units and is also used a attack/action button as well. Square changes the curser so you can switch it over to, say, repair mode or sell mode. Triangle switches over to the build options, which you may be able to simply select what you want to build outside of this function by simply scrolling over, I only played the first level so I didn't get a chance to test it out. With a mere five minutes or so I pretty much got the controls down pat and got used to the 'feel' so to speak. The only gripe I have with this port is that it can be rather difficult telling units apart, but you may have better eyesight than me. :P

I say go for it if your looking for some nostalgia, I think it's aged very well-- and I'm sure Command and Conquer isn't that much different than Red Alert control wise.

#172 Posted by ston3henge (2732 posts) -

Thanks Athens!

I Dl'ed the first game yesterday and it's pretty cool, I LOVE the FMV and CG cutscenes!!! They used to be SOOOO cool, and now... heh heh... but seriously the game really HAS aged pretty darned well. The presentation is still one of the outstanding features of this series.

#173 Posted by noscrnam (5 posts) -
Thanks
#174 Posted by m_kosta (18 posts) -

Hello,

Please visit my blog, put there an interesting top 12list games of all time, also you can find there several reviews and comments on games.

Games & Reviews - Reviews from gamers to gamers

http://gamersreviewblog.blogspot.com

Fell free to comment.:)

#175 Posted by paperdollparade (1915 posts) -

I having trouble deciding which game to get. I can either get tomb Raider now or wait and get one of the others latter.

GTA Chinatown Wars - I didn't like GTAIII or any of the PS2GTA's that followed, but I really like the look of this one

LittleBigPlanet - I loved LBP on the PS3

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - liked TR1 and 2

Wipeout: Pulse - thought Wipeout HD was fantastic, but would only be playing this single player

also I only buy digital games so if you have other recommendations please keep it to whats currently available or will be available soon on the PSN

Currently I own the following for PSP games:

Patapon 2

Prinny: can I really be the Hero

Gurumin

Everyday Shooter

Rockband: Unplugged

Final Fantasy 7

Wild arms

#176 Posted by ston3henge (2732 posts) -

If you like the Tomb Raider series, the PSP games are a good purchase.

#177 Posted by blacknight06 (1422 posts) -

Any fun games that have plenty of cutscenes?

Im kinda looking for a game that has a good story and lasts a while

and i don't like crisis core 8)

Im kinda leaning towards Jeanne D'Arc, but im not quite the RPG fan, so if anyone could please help :D

#178 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
[QUOTE="paperdollparade"] (What game should I buy question)

Listen, I have GTA: CW and it's a pretty awesome game. But when you say you didn't like GTA3, what didn't you like exactly? While it shares a lot in common with those games in terms of mission design, it does have quite a different feel to it playing since it's basically top-down.
#179 Posted by paperdollparade (1915 posts) -
[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"][QUOTE="paperdollparade"] (What game should I buy question)

Listen, I have GTA: CW and it's a pretty awesome game. But when you say you didn't like GTA3, what didn't you like exactly? While it shares a lot in common with those games in terms of mission design, it does have quite a different feel to it playing since it's basically top-down.

basicly I find the games fun for about an hour and then I get bored of the missions and don't really find the game compelling enough to do any of the other missions so I run around, steal cars, blow things up, and run from the cops for about a half hour. then i'm bored. so is there a more compelling story tyeing the game together thats going to make me want to complete the missions or am i more likely to just run around blowing stuff up until I'm bored. I love the top down view and the graphic design, but if the missions aren't anymore compelling than previous entries $40 is going to be too much for something that will likely only hold my interest for a couple hours.
#180 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
basicly I find the games fun for about an hour and then I get bored of the missions and don't really find the game compelling enough to do any of the other missions so I run around, steal cars, blow things up, and run from the cops for about a half hour. then i'm bored. so is there a more compelling story tyeing the game together thats going to make me want to complete the missions or am i more likely to just run around blowing stuff up until I'm bored. I love the top down view and the graphic design, but if the missions aren't anymore compelling than previous entries $40 is going to be too much for something that will likely only hold my interest for a couple hours.paperdollparade
Don't get it. I'm not saying the story is bad or anything, but it's really not as gripping as GTA4's was. I think the lack of voice-overs contributes to this. The missions are your standard GTA stuff, which you don't seem to care for. I own the game and think it's great, but I also liked GTA3 (though I think GTA4 is the best they've done). It's a game I like to play in 30 minute bursts- do a mission, deal some drugs, cause some mayhem...then I'm done for the day. As much as I do like it, I don't think that it's a good choice for you. While I don't own any other games on your list, I would say get a Tomb Raider game. They're already cheap (and unlikely to drop much further) and in the meantime, GTA/LBP/Wipeout might get a pricedrop. I do want to buy LBP because the demo was tons of fun but I'm trying to wait for a sale/pricedrop.
#181 Posted by toast_burner (21427 posts) -

Hi.

should i get Patapon 1 then get Patapon 2 or just go straight to Patapon 2?

help will be appreciated.

#182 Posted by Blabadon (25933 posts) -

considering you can get two for only 20 bucks dive into the second

you will not miss much from the first and get multiplayer

but if you can get one used or new for under 5 dollars then get the first one

#183 Posted by ston3henge (2732 posts) -

Hi.

should i get Patapon 1 then get Patapon 2 or just go straight to Patapon 2?

help will be appreciated.

toast_burner

I'm always a fan of starting with the first game in any series... "Patapon" is a cool game, whichever volume you decide to start with!!!

#184 Posted by rabble88 (14 posts) -
Funny story: I own a PSP model number 1001, which isn't even available to register on the PSN, but that's not what I wanted to say. I just hope that Sony has the foresight to market the PSPgo better this time around. IMO it's one of the most overlooked gaming achievements of my time, along with the Dreamcast. Here's hoping that they get the ball rolling this time and everybody realizes how much power this thing packs.
#185 Posted by noscrnam (5 posts) -
Does anyone own a PSP3000 who use to own a PSP1001? How is the screen brightness and glare in daylight? I heard there was problems with lines in the 3000 version? Thanks
#186 Posted by blacknight06 (1422 posts) -

Well my post got deleted, :?

but there's no polls here :(

Would you guys recommend Jeanne D'Arc and Prince of Persia from PSN for 40 dollars? I've been meaning to get them but, are they good games?

Or should i wait til its around Christmas when there's some sort of sale (I hope!)

#187 Posted by bball_freak_2 (1609 posts) -
Pixel Junk Monsters or Little Big Planet?
#188 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -
Pixel Junk Monsters or Little Big Planet?bball_freak_2
Have you tried the demos? I don't own either PSP version, but I have both PS3 versions and I'd easily say LBP.
#189 Posted by LongZhiZi (2453 posts) -

Would you guys recommend Jeanne D'Arc and Prince of Persia from PSN for 40 dollars? I've been meaning to get them but, are they good games?

Or should i wait til its around Christmas when there's some sort of sale (I hope!)

blacknight06
Well, I played the demo of Jeanne D'Arc and it's quite good. Given that reviews are generally quite good, I'd say go for that one. There's two PoP games, though, so you might want to be more specific there (and even then, I'd be no help).
#190 Posted by RockinTheCasbah (441 posts) -

Tekken Dark Res. or Tekken 6?

#191 Posted by blacknight06 (1422 posts) -

[QUOTE="blacknight06"]

LongZhiZi

Well, I played the demo of Jeanne D'Arc and it's quite good. Given that reviews are generally quite good, I'd say go for that one. There's two PoP games, though, so you might want to be more specific there (and even then, I'd be no help).

Ok thanks. I've pretty much made up my mind on buying both

O, and i was referring to Rival Swords, I think ill wait and see if there's a sale :D

#192 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

I'm trying to decide between Rockband: Unplugged and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Which one do you think is better?

#193 Posted by jedinat (3560 posts) -

I'm trying to decide between Rockband: Unplugged and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Which one do you think is better?

Luigi12901
Any of the first three DJ Max games are much better choices than Rockband... I can't comment on Force Unleashed having never tried it (mostly because of mediocre reviews for all its iterations).
#194 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

[QUOTE="Luigi12901"]

jedinat

Any of the first three DJ Max games are much better choices than Rockband... I can't comment on Force Unleashed having never tried it (mostly because of mediocre reviews for all its iterations).

I'll check out the DJ Max games then. From what I read about TFU, it has better graphics than the PS2/Wii versions, and better controls than PS3/360. But some long loading times and less than great camera as well. So idk about that. I'm also thinking about Crisis Core, but they didn't have that at Gamestop last time I was there, which was kind of weird.

#195 Posted by ston3henge (2732 posts) -

skcirp etelpmoc era sdom.

Star Trek games, anyone got anything nice to say? I've been playing "Star Trek: Conquest" on my PS2 and wondering if there are any mobile games like it for PSP. I played "Star Trek: Tactical Assault" on my DS already but if it's a better game on the PSP I might re-play it.

Thoughts?

#196 Posted by RockinTheCasbah (441 posts) -

Star Trek games, anyone got anything nice to say? I've been playing "Star Trek: Conquest" on my PS2 and wondering if there are any mobile games like it for PSP. I played "Star Trek: Tactical Assault" on my DS already but if it's a better game on the PSP I might re-play it.

Thoughts?

ston3henge

Wow, I bet the mods are never gonna figure out your code! Well, they might, but it will definitely take them a while :lol:

Anyways, the only Star Trek game on the PSP is Tactical Assualt, and I'm sorry that I can't help you more, but I don't think that the PSP version of Tactical Assault is much different than the DS version. You're probably not missing anything if you have already played the DS version.

#197 Posted by blacknight06 (1422 posts) -

Thoughts?

ston3henge

They murdered my poll! :( :?:cry:

#198 Posted by ston3henge (2732 posts) -

Codes are meant not to be broken and understood... heh... so the ease was, on purpose? :twisted:

Thanks for the reply... I had done some searches but sometimes when it comes to games a subject will come out in other markets outside my own. Case-in-point: Japan has a whole mess of WWII flight combat games which never made it here. Soooo I figger'd I would ask about "Star Trek"... and I was feeling miffed when I wrote it. Not anymore though, the anger has been transfered elsewhere.

It's too bad they didn't port the game over ("Conquest"), I bet the PSP would have handled that game fine and it's really fun like a board game war game, which I know sounds boring to most, but it's like Star Trek chess in a way. There are so few fleets allowed on the playfield at once, I would have thought it would be great on the PSP...

In a side-note, I got "Tactical" today at resale for $5.99 (US) and yes, it looks to be the exact same plot line with much better presentation and in-game graphics, lighting effects, etc.

Not bad for the pittance it cost, and it's been awhile since i played my DS version so it's fun.

#199 Posted by scass319 (480 posts) -

Hey guys. For Christmas, I was thinking about getting a PSP 3000. If I do get one, I was hoping you guys could list some games that are worth buying for my first few games. I enjoy playing role-playing games, like Final Fantasy (NO ANIME PLEASE). I enjoy sports, but I think I will stick to my PS3 for sports games. I also enjoy playing action/adventure...like Uncharted or Grand Theft Auto. So, anything like that, just post here! Thanks!!!

#200 Posted by jedinat (3560 posts) -

Hey guys. For Christmas, I was thinking about getting a PSP 3000. If I do get one, I was hoping you guys could list some games that are worth buying for my first few games. I enjoy playing role-playing games, like Final Fantasy (NO ANIME PLEASE). I enjoy sports, but I think I will stick to my PS3 for sports games. I also enjoy playing action/adventure...like Uncharted or Grand Theft Auto. So, anything like that, just post here! Thanks!!!

scass319
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite and GTA Chinatown Wars are good choices.