PSP Recommendation Thread

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#102 Posted by umair_s51 (248 posts) -

New PSP owner!!! and also a PS3 gamer, I m looking for some good games to kickoff the experience. I enjoy action, adventure, strategy, rpg andsports. Help me out

#103 Posted by yokofox33 (29349 posts) -

Ok, so I want to give Monster Hunter a try but can't decide between Freedom or Freedom Unite. Should I start from the beginning since I'm new to the series and save 10 bucks, or should I just jump right into Freedom Unite and spend more?

#104 Posted by fragile_soul (117 posts) -
Get Freedom Unite....its alot BETTER...worth the money
#105 Posted by rangegear (3025 posts) -

Ok, so I want to give Monster Hunter a try but can't decide between Freedom or Freedom Unite. Should I start from the beginning since I'm new to the series and save 10 bucks, or should I just jump right into Freedom Unite and spend more?

yokofox33

Believe me. Freedom Unite is worth the extra 10$.

#106 Posted by yokofox33 (29349 posts) -

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

rangegear

Yeah. I'm thinking I might get Unite. I found it for like 25 bucks on Ebay, so that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

#107 Posted by rangegear (3025 posts) -

[QUOTE="rangegear"]

[QUOTE="yokofox33"]

yokofox33

Yeah. I'm thinking I might get Unite. I found it for like 25 bucks on Ebay, so that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

Very good deal. Well done.

#108 Posted by appletsauce (1035 posts) -

Would you trust Gamestop.com for a used, refurbished PSP 1000? I've had bad experiences with Gamestop in the past on used disc-based games, and just wondering if they take care of their systems.

#109 Posted by umair_s51 (248 posts) -

Would you trust Gamestop.com for a used, refurbished PSP 1000? I've had bad experiences with Gamestop in the past on used disc-based games, and just wondering if they take care of their systems.

appletsauce

I guess, refurbished are atleast better than used. I recently bought a used 2000 and it works great. Don't think 1000 is a very good choice though, unless it comes at a very good price,I'd say get atleast a 2000 they are worth the extra cash. I got the dark vader edition in mint condition for $110. If you look around you can get a similar deal.

#110 Posted by appletsauce (1035 posts) -

I think I might go with the $135 PSP 2000 deal on Dell.com instead. And get a $65 16gb mem card from Amazon. That'd cost about as much as a bundle and a have a pretty good amount of storage.

#111 Posted by Hungry_Jello (3024 posts) -

I lost my PSP and am going to replace it. Should I get the PSP GO or the Dissidia bundle?

#112 Posted by Luigi12901 (1243 posts) -

I lost my PSP and am going to replace it. Should I get the PSP GO or the Dissidia bundle?

Hungry_Jello

I'd go with the Dissidia bundle...IMO, anyway.

#113 Posted by gamerblack (34 posts) -
Nice job. Thanks man.
#114 Posted by gamerblack (34 posts) -
Dissidia for sure :D a true fan
#115 Posted by Venomkringe (168 posts) -

What Should i get burnout legends or patapon 2

#116 Posted by soulpiper (72 posts) -

Wild arms xf!!

#117 Posted by wackyzaky7 (179 posts) -

Is Tekken: Dark Resurrection worth $25 now? Any help is appreciated :)

#118 Posted by tjoeb123 (6843 posts) -

Wild arms xf!!

soulpiper
Nice to know that someone besides me actually knows about this game.
#119 Posted by appletsauce (1035 posts) -

Do you feel the PSP has original, fun games, or do you think of the PSP as a console port machine? If not, then what do you think are some fun, original games on the system that make it stand out from the competing DS system?

#120 Posted by appletsauce (1035 posts) -

At checkout with the 3000 and a 16gb memory card (really want this one as I plan to download a lot). Grand total at $240, which really isn't that much cheaper than a PS3. I wish the price gap was much wider because the PSP + "necessary" accessories together make the total equal almost the price of a PS3 or other console. I think I might though. I decided handhelds only this gen, but maybe consoles next gen after I get a good tv.

#121 Posted by gaidin15 (17 posts) -
hey does any1know anything bout the fifa 09 psp bundle ,i know its old........
#122 Posted by umair_s51 (248 posts) -

@ appletsauce

You should have waited for the PspGo, but any way you did save around $40, tax included, I think a PS3 would have been a better purchase though, for $60 + tax, you can get a Bluray player + next gen console with 80GB hard-disk, but I understand the convenience of a portable system. As for your other question, while the PSP has some ports from home consoles, they usually are improved over the originals but more importantly they are fun. I recently got Tekken DR and boy it is far better than Tekken 5, it plays much better has more characters looks great for a portable game, has more content etc. PSP has some original games too, check out the Syphon Filter games, Jeanne d'arc, Dissidia and other final fantasy titles and there a ton fresh games coming too like MGS:PW.

#123 Posted by appletsauce (1035 posts) -

I decided to wait for holiday sales. I've got too many DS games to go through right now, so I'll wait. Four months isn't too long.

#124 Posted by umair_s51 (248 posts) -

Is Tekken: Dark Resurrection worth $25 now? Any help is appreciated :)

wackyzaky7
I can tell you its a really fun game, a big leap over Tekken 5 in terms of Gameplay. It plays a lot quicker now, almost at the pace of Tekken 3. It looks really good, and has lots of value too: new characters, new modes etc. What I can't tell you is if its worth $25, the value of money is different for everybody. I personally don't spend more than $40 for a PS3 title, so I wouldn't buy it at $25. But that's just my opinion.
#125 Posted by Maxyboy13 (842 posts) -

So, I'm thinking of getting a PSP soon since Sony has recently increased their support of it. Are there any PSP owners here who would like to recommend me the best games for the system?

I've already been looking into the well reviewed games for the system and the ones that interest me are:

-Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions

-Sid Meier's Pirates

-Crush

-Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters

-GTA: LCS/VCS

-Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops

-Jeanne D'Arc

-Rock Band Unplugged

-Patapon

-Holy Invasion of Privacy

-I already own God of War

Are these games good? What other games would you say are must haves? I'm into all genres.

#126 Posted by Ze_Common_Cold (246 posts) -

So, I'm thinking of getting a PSP soon since Sony has recently increased their support of it. Are there any PSP owners here who would like to recommend me the best games for the system?

I've already been looking into the well reviewed games for the system and the ones that interest me are:

-Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of The Lions Amazing game, def. pick it up if you hadn't played the orginial, and it's still good fun

-Sid Meier's Pirates Eh, played it on a friend's PSP, didn't like it

-Crush Never played it before

-Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters It's good, I guess but it's nowhere near as good as the games on the consoles. There are better platformers on the system

-GTA: LCS/VCS I wasnever a fan of the series, but I hear it's good. Maybe consider Chinatown Wars (It's coming for PSP)

-Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops Grreeeaat game, just remember to be extra sneaky, the camera isn't the best, so if you don't walk the caution you could get caught

-Jeanne D'Arc I liked Tactics and Disgaea better, but hey, this was still a good game

-Rock Band Unplugged Played the Demo, it was fun. Try it out

-Patapon Game is awesome, get the 2nd though, it's much deeper than the first

-Holy Invasion of Privacy It's a love it or hate it game. See if theres a Demo on PSN

-I already own God of War Good. :P

Are these games good? What other games would you say are must haves? I'm into all genres.

Maxyboy13

Some othermust haves are....

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - Learning Curve is steep, but once you got it, it'll be the best game ever for you. Just don't give up.

FF:Crisis Core - Very nice game, I liked it, some people hate it.

Syphon Filter DS/LS - Very very good game, try Resistance if you feel more actiony than stealthy

Killzone Liberation - A great game, though the gameplay looks **** from pictures, play it, it's damn fun and a good challenge

Daxter - Best 3D Platformer on the system hands down

Megman Powered Up - Best 2D Platformer IMO

That it's there are a few more, and a lot coming out soon.

#127 Posted by TEH_RADIO (418 posts) -

[QUOTE="soulpiper"]

Wild arms xf!!

tjoeb123

Nice to know that someone besides me actually knows about this game.

Ive seen the game on the PSN store but ive always hesitated to buy it. I read the GS review and it seems like every other RPG out there. is it worth it and what makes it good?

#128 Posted by Rasenganfan2 (41 posts) -
Well, should I get Metal Gear Acid 2, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, or Dissidia Final Fantasy? Quick Question: Does this thread also deal with recommendations of PSP models?
#129 Posted by Ze_Common_Cold (246 posts) -
Well, should I get Metal Gear Acid 2, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, or Dissidia Final Fantasy? Quick Question: Does this thread also deal with recommendations of PSP models?Rasenganfan2
Honestly, it depends. I would stay away from Ac!d if you're comparing it to Dissidia and MGSPO. Dissidia is an awesome game, though it isn't a traditonal fighting game. IGN described it quite well. MGPO has weird camera controls, but besides that, it's pretty much the portable Metal Gear experience. I (Personally) would get Dissidia first, and either wait for Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, or pick up MGPO later. MGPO is quite expensive, some prices on amazon rup up to around $60-100, and the game is pretty rare itself.
#130 Posted by ThE_rB2_ExPeRt (166 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rasenganfan2"]Well, should I get Metal Gear Acid 2, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, or Dissidia Final Fantasy? Quick Question: Does this thread also deal with recommendations of PSP models?Ze_Common_Cold
Honestly, it depends. I would stay away from Ac!d if you're comparing it to Dissidia and MGSPO. Dissidia is an awesome game, though it isn't a traditonal fighting game. IGN described it quite well. MGPO has weird camera controls, but besides that, it's pretty much the portable Metal Gear experience. I (Personally) would get Dissidia first, and either wait for Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, or pick up MGPO later. MGPO is quite expensive, some prices on amazon rup up to around $60-100, and the game is pretty rare itself.

lol i got it for ten bucks from gamestop

#131 Posted by Madertus (20 posts) -

Oh my... That... was pretty impressive'.' I suggest exchanging Monster Hunter Freedom 2 for Unite^^

Great job, thanks for this thread xD

#132 Posted by calebcop (889 posts) -
CRISI CORE! For PSP! Than you've got to buy final Fantasy VII
#133 Posted by j1j8_mongo5050 (1 posts) -
dude i heard that the psp go sux, my cuz wors at a game site and he said it sux
#134 Posted by SimoSays2541 (679 posts) -

dude i heard that the psp go sux, my cuz wors at a game site and he said it suxj1j8_mongo5050
A new account for this? Really? I give it a -1/10, not even the effort to sign up for the new account could bring you up to 0 on the troll scale for something that lame. Better luck next time.

#135 Posted by jjtiebuckle (1856 posts) -
Any top down 3rd person shooters like Alien Syndrome? I think Killzone Liberation is similar, but I've never played it.
#136 Posted by digimonkey12 (1851 posts) -
If you havent played Killzone then you better hurry and get it, I recommend it highly and it is way better than Alien Syndrome. About top down shooters well there is not many of them except Killzone.
#137 Posted by FalenArchAngel (65 posts) -
I can't wait for Assassins Creed.
#138 Posted by scar-hawk (5404 posts) -
I haven't bought a PSP game in months. What's a good long lasting one. (at least 40 hrs if it has no replay value). No MH either >_>
#139 Posted by DaViD_99 (2496 posts) -

Hey I might buy the PSP 1001 model i think from a cousin. Should i or shouldn't i? Probably for around 30 bucks. What should be first game if i buy? And are there any limitations for this model?

#140 Posted by tekken220 (5105 posts) -

Add Soulcalibur: Broken Destiny

#141 Posted by nVidiaGaMer (7793 posts) -

Anyone know how the controls are for REsident Evil Directors Cut or Silent Hill (Playstation store PS1 classics)? I know you need to use the R2 button to aim and there isn't one for the PSP. I'm not sure if you can change the control scheme.

#142 Posted by gameofthering (10126 posts) -

Controls are fine for RE1

#143 Posted by nVidiaGaMer (7793 posts) -

Controls are fine for RE1

gameofthering

Thanks. I assume if they are fine for RE1 then they should also be fine for Silent Hill.

#144 Posted by Bbbbbbbb126 (3 posts) -
how do you get the animated icon
#145 Posted by sebas117 (169 posts) -

Can someone recommend me a game for my brand new PSP 2000 (traded it in for 2 ps3 games). I like action games and shooters and somewhat rpgs.

#146 Posted by moka0591 (1 posts) -
Hi there people. I'm willing to re-stock my set of games, specially with RPG/Strategy games. I'm talking about games like Disgagea, Jean d'Arc, etc. I already have Crisis Core, Persona and Monster Hunter (damn it's good) So, for a non-experienced RPG gamer, which game would you recommend me?
#147 Posted by FallofAthens (2026 posts) -

Hi there people. I'm willing to re-stock my set of games, specially with RPG/Strategy games. I'm talking about games like Disgagea, Jean d'Arc, etc. I already have Crisis Core, Persona and Monster Hunter (damn it's good) So, for a non-experienced RPG gamer, which game would you recommend me?moka0591

Just so I understand, you dno't have the top games you've listed? If so, Jeanne is an excellent turn based strategy RPG for non-experienced players. It doesn't hurt that the story is rather well told and can be a lot of fun. If your looking for more of a live-action game, try Marvel Ultimate Alliance (not the second one) or X-men: Legends. While not straight up rpgs, they do have rpg elements and can be great fun to smash up baddies with your favorite super hero characters. (that is if your into that kind of stuff) If you like the Metal Gear Solid series you should really give Metal Gear Acid! a try-- and maybe even if you've never played one before or perhaps don't like it.

#148 Posted by FallofAthens (2026 posts) -

Can someone recommend me a game for my brand new PSP 2000 (traded it in for 2 ps3 games). I like action games and shooters and somewhat rpgs.

sebas117

You should try Socom Tactical Strike. While not a a straight up shooter, it incoperates the elements that make one up and turns it into a strategy game. If you've ever played Full Spectrum Warrior for the Xbox, it's a lot that game. See if you can find some footage of the game to see what I mean.

The Syphon games are pretty good shooters/action games for the PSP. Might be something to look into.

Though not everyone's cup of tea, Monster Hunter can be either a hit or miss for most PSP gamers. Try out the demo if you have access to the PSN store if you can to get a feel for the game.

Resistance Retribution seems the most highly praised shooter for the PSP. Haven't exactly played it for myself though.

#149 Posted by FunkyOrange (166 posts) -

I looking for a good PSP game that I can play online via wi-fi. Dosnt really matter if it a shooter or a racing game. Maybe theres other genres to? Like Rockband? I was thinking of eather Motorstorm, Wipeout Pulse or Resistance. Maybe you have some favs?

And second question. Is it worth getting Phantasy Star Portable if I dont have any people to play with localy?

thanks

#150 Posted by ms-fable (741 posts) -

Hi I'm looking for a good psn game for 5 or 10 game. I'm thinking metal gear solid. Thanks.