PSP Go! - Shall I?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PStringa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 PStringa
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts

Christmas is almost upon us and i'm trying to decided what I want. As I dont really need much I am stuggling to decide if I should get the new PSP Go! I have the original PSP 1000 which I would sell along with around 12 games. This should take around £100 (give or take a little) of the hefty price tag.

So what do you guys think? Is it worth it? What are the main advantages?

Thanks!

Avatar image for deactivated-6376e969dddd8
deactivated-6376e969dddd8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-6376e969dddd8
Member since 2002 • 323 Posts

Honestly, I believe with 100% conviction that gaming will go to digital distribution model sooner rather than later and the PSP Go is a great example of how it should be done. Yes, the screen is slightly smaller but it is a higher quality screen with regard to brightness. The PSP Go has awesome battery life, has the ability to expand to 32GB of storage with an additional M2 memory card (which is what I did) and the ability to have so many games preloaded on the system with absolutely no discs required is an awesome feeling. I think I currently have 10 PSP games and 8 PSOne classics loaded on mine so I can play what I want when I want. I highly recommend it so long as you don't have the stigma others seem to about not actually owning a physical piece of software that they can hold in their hands. Great handheld IMO.

PStringa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 PStringa
Member since 2007 • 315 Posts

Honestly, I believe with 100% conviction that gaming will go to digital distribution model sooner rather than later and the PSP Go is a great example of how it should be done. Yes, the screen is slightly smaller but it is a higher quality screen with regard to brightness. The PSP Go has awesome battery life, has the ability to expand to 32GB of storage with an additional M2 memory card (which is what I did) and the ability to have so many games preloaded on the system with absolutely no discs required is an awesome feeling. I think I currently have 10 PSP games and 8 PSOne classics loaded on mine so I can play what I want when I want. I highly recommend it so long as you don't have the stigma others seem to about not actually owning a physical piece of software that they can hold in their hands. Great handheld IMO.

JosephTBergen
I do love having hard copies of my PS3 games but I also love the idea of being able to take my entire collection everywhere I go. That's not the issue for me, my problem is the price tag. The main reason I want one is for its size (can just go in my pocket) and for any further development (i.e. extended feature with bluetooth etc). As i have a PSP already im wondering if its worth that amount of money for a FEW extra features.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

the PSP Go is a great example of how it should be done.

JosephTBergen

Really?

Sacrificing the screen in the hardware and then having a small amount of your entire catalog of titles ready to download for users is how it should be done?

Also having one of your biggest games on the system (Little Big Planet) unavailable at it's launch to an entire region who have to get it digitally?

That's the right way to do it?

If you're going to upgrade grab a 3000 and enjoy everything a PSPGo can do plus everything the standard version can do too.

game_man1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 game_man1
Member since 2003 • 699 Posts

[QUOTE="JosephTBergen"]

Jaysonguy

Really?

Sacrificing the screen in the hardware and then having a small amount of your entire catalog of titles ready to download for users is how it should be done?

Also having one of your biggest games on the system (Little Big Planet) unavailable at it's launch to an entire region who have to get it digitally?

If you're going to upgrade grab a 3000 and enjoy everything a PSPGo can do plus everything the standard version can do too.

well its not perfect atm but its still fairly new. but if you don't care about physical copies or the price and want a psp thats actually easy to carry around (fits in your pocket) then i say get the go. i definitly plan on getting one for christmas or just after the holidays.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

[QUOTE="JosephTBergen"]

game_man1

Really?

well its not perfect atm but its still fairly new. but if you don't care about physical copies or the price and want a psp thats actually easy to carry around (fits in your pocket) then i say get the go. i definitly plan on getting one for christmas or just after the holidays.

Both are easy to carry around, there's not much difference between the two when it comes to overall size

What is noticeable is the smaller screen on the go compared to the 3000

You'd think if they were going to shrink it they'd keep the screen the same size

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

I beg to differ on the size issue. I wear tight pants on occasion, and the Go fits much better for me. In my case the Go has proved to be much more portable in many situations. Also I can still play all my UMDs because I still have my old PSP. If you are looking for portability, the Go is the best choice. At the end of the day, it's still the smallest handheld you can own.

Comduter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8 Comduter
Member since 2004 • 2316 Posts

JosephTBergen

The Go is a lousy example of how digital distribution should be done if you want to have the option of having physical copies of your games. It also benefits to have to option of selling any games that you don't like (something you can't do with a digital copy). That and I'm still not happy with Sony for axing the goodwill program one week before the Go's release. I'm not going to repurchase 20 games just so I can play them in more places than I can with my PSP 1000. I'm not willing to play a rip-off price of $250 either. It better not happen sooner than later, and I doubt it will judging by the sales of this thing thankfully.

ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

I beg to differ on the size issue. I wear tight pants on occasion, and the Go fits much better for me. In my case the Go has proved to be much more portable in many situations. Also I can still play all my UMDs because I still have my old PSP. If you are looking for portability, the Go is the best choice. At the end of the day, it's still the smallest handheld you can own.

cmpepper23

Oh... oh my... is there a "vomitting" Emoticon?

:lol:

And by the way... I think the "Other Company's Handheld" is technically smaller.

cmpepper23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cmpepper23
Member since 2005 • 3281 Posts

[QUOTE="cmpepper23"]

ston3henge

And by the way... I think the "Other Company's Handheld" is technically smaller.

Well I never said how tight...and jnco's are thing of the past so...

I have both, and the PSP Go feels much smaller when carrying it around in my pocket.

Avatar image for deactivated-6376e969dddd8
deactivated-6376e969dddd8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-6376e969dddd8
Member since 2002 • 323 Posts

[QUOTE="JosephTBergen"]

Comduter

The Go is a lousy example of how digital distribution should be done if you want to have the option of having physical copies of your games. It also benefits to have to option of selling any games that you don't like (something you can't do with a digital copy). That and I'm still not happy with Sony for axing the goodwill program one week before the Go's release. I'm not going to repurchase 20 games just so I can play them in more places than I can with my PSP 1000. I'm not willing to play a rip-off price of $250 either. It better not happen sooner than later, and I doubt it will judging by the sales of this thing thankfully.

You see, where I find fault in what you say is that you do not give any reasons as to why it is a lousy example of how things should be done with digital distribution. Sony's PlayStation Network functions as well as any other distribution model that I have seen in gaming. Given that the average PSP game is apx. 1GB in size, I could have anywhere between 20-35 games preloaded on my PSP Go given that I have maxed it out to 32GB. If I could ever play more than that many games at one time then I would be a gaming wizard. These arguments remind me of when iTunes first started selling digital music. SO many people would say that it would never work and that they simply had to own their physical CDs...now iTunes is the largest music distributor in the United States. All I was trying to say is that this will be the eventual distribution method, either by adoption from consumers or from the developers forcing us to buy games this way. It is simply more cost effective for the company and that will rule the day 99% of the time.

Master-blobby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Master-blobby
Member since 2007 • 528 Posts

[QUOTE="cmpepper23"]

ston3henge

oh.. my... is there a "get with the times" emoticon?

I think if you really need the added portability of the go then do it, if you really dont then the 3000 is a far better albiet less cool looking option. : )

blacknight06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blacknight06
Member since 2006 • 1422 Posts

You're selling 12 games!!!??? :shock:

if you really plan on not playing most of them ever again then i guess Go ahead and take a shot at it

mrjoe_94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mrjoe_94
Member since 2009 • 847 Posts
i'm in the same boat BUT i'm not really worried about the games because most of them i don't play i only play 3 games GOW SC Broken Destiny and Dissidia...all of which are on PSN so i can re-get them gradually.
SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts
the go is not much smaller than the 3000. the 3000 is a much better deal. Just buy a 3000 and then buy a 16gb memory card. Problem solved.
chowderboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chowderboi
Member since 2008 • 246 Posts
psp 3000 + 16gb memory (60 on amazon) =230. o boy itts cutting it close. if the psp go were 200 itd be more reasonable or if it were 150 then thatd be a deal.
game_man1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 game_man1
Member since 2003 • 699 Posts
the go is not much smaller than the 3000. the 3000 is a much better deal. Just buy a 3000 and then buy a 16gb memory card. Problem solved.SF_KiLLaMaN
its pretty small. the first time you see one you'll prolly go "wow thats smaller then what i expected" . just got mine course it has to charge so i'm gonna mess around with it tommorow, but so far i'm quit happy with my purchase.
ston3henge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 ston3henge
Member since 2007 • 2732 Posts

oh.. my... is there a "get with the times" emoticon?

Master-blobby

Meaning... what, exactly?

riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

no you shouldnt get psp go, its not worth your money

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
The Go is something you have to really try (10 minutes at a store doesn't count) to get a real feel for. I've owned the 1000 since it's launch, played it avidly so the first thing I noticed was the extreme portability and the crystal clear screen. It's nice not having to carry around a library of UMDs. Honestly it just depends on your situation, I've played much of the games the system has to offer that I wanted to play, so I wasn't missing out on anything that wasn't put on the store. To many people on this board are quick to judge the Go without having tried it. The controls (especially if you're coming from a previous model) take some getting used to, but feel comfortable after a day of play. While the PSN store doesn't have every game (well not even close), it has enough to keep me occupied for a very long time, not to mention sony will continue to release games. Can't give you a one way answer, if there are many specific games you want to play that are not in the store, the 3000 is probably a better choice(they may be put in the store, but not for a while). But the PSN store has more than enough games to keep you occupied if you get the Go.
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts
Now that i got hands on time with it, now i can really say PSPGo sucks. I have small hands and my theydont fit the PSPGo. i dont see how ppl with big hands pefer the PSPgo.
hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
Now that i got hands on time with it, now i can really say PSPGo sucks. I have small hands and my theydont fit the PSPGo. i dont see how ppl with big hands pefer the PSPgo.PSP107
Really, I have small hands, I think that the Go is much more comfortable than the previous models.