PSP becoming obsolete?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

r-teest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 r-teest
Member since 2007 • 949 Posts

I was just in Gamestop the other day and the psp section on the wall is non existent. They're only on a small square stand sitting in the middle of the store...

Also, in walmart, they're like, only 2 rows for psp games. (atleast where I live)

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#2 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Not a huge surprise, I suppose - retail numbers every month suggest that the PSP sells the least about of software of any of the current consoles or handhelds. My local EB still has a decent size wall of PSP stuff, even if it's a third the size of the DS section.
Avatar image for HelluvaEnjineer
HelluvaEnjineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 HelluvaEnjineer
Member since 2010 • 68 Posts
Obsolete would be the wrong word... as far as the hardware goes its still better then the DS, but the sales are not very good.
njdevilsfan85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 njdevilsfan85
Member since 2009 • 169 Posts

I was just in Gamestop the other day and the psp section on the wall is non existent. They're only on a small square stand sitting in the middle of the store...

Also, in walmart, they're like, only 2 rows for psp games. (atleast where I live)

r-teest

Gamestops out here have a whole section dedicated to PSP games. Walmart has about 4 rows. Best Buy though, has a whole aisle dedicated to games and movies.

Avatar image for InsultToInjury_
InsultToInjury_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 InsultToInjury_
Member since 2007 • 2219 Posts

There isn't much of a selection I must admit however it depends where I go. I don't think the PSP is on its way out as I see very much a lot of great titles coming out for it this year alone and with MGS PW it is starting to get a lot of recognition that it so rightly deserves.

Bigboss232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Bigboss232
Member since 2006 • 4997 Posts

It is a little late but psp is seeing a small push of rare yet good games but I thing psp is fading here and sony might have to move on to a new hand held in about a year or two.

hockey73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hockey73
Member since 2005 • 8281 Posts
Yah my GS doesn't even have a PSP wall anymore, just a small stand. I'm trying to catch up on the games, been a decent summer. Still need to get hotshots tennis and MGS PW, plus I want to try out Gran Turismo. Then next month that Ys game comes out, as well as Valkyria Chronicles 2.
Clonehunter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 Clonehunter1
Member since 2010 • 26 Posts
I've been seeing less PSP in stores too. But hey, maybe the Marcus PSP COmmercials on TV are the attempts by SOny in hopes of saving rhe handheld.
digimonkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 digimonkey12
Member since 2009 • 1851 Posts
My "Local" Gamestop has a big section of PSP games. but my local GAME ( if you can call it so because it is in a Mall ;o) is even better. They allways got the newest PSP games and the wall is allmost as big as the DS wall. So I am pretty pleased..
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Obsolete? It's a portable. It will be good as long as the system works, imo. I still use my gba, given the right occasion. The library is big and varied enough to the point that I'm not disappointed in buying it--which I did a few months back. Plus I like picking up games for cheap. Gran Turismo for $20? Good deal, imo.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

The problem is: people are literally talking the PSP to death,

complaining about this, complaining about that.

IMHO, it's an excellent portable gaming console. Nothing more, nothing less.

It's not a very good music player, it's not really all that portable, you can't download a gazillion "apps",

and it won't do your laundry.

I'm a hardcore pc gamer, used to playing long and involved epic shooters. Love my XBOX360,

and it's the PSP that gives me the same "epic" feeling: God of War, Syphon Filter, Resistance Retribution, etc.

all fairly long and involved games that just look, feel, and play great, even for someone like me who is used to

mostly playing with mouse and keyboard.

My concern is that the PSP just doesn't have enough AAA titles. For every MGSPW there is a truck load of crap.

And don't even get me started on the PSN store.....

DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#12 DaAlienMan
Member since 2008 • 1076 Posts
[QUOTE="Ricardo41"]

And don't even get me started on the PSN store.....

same here lol
soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

Obsolete? It's a portable. It will be good as long as the system works, imo. I still use my gba, given the right occasion. The library is big and varied enough to the point that I'm not disappointed in buying it--which I did a few months back. Plus I like picking up games for cheap. Gran Turismo for $20? Good deal, imo.

Heirren
You are right. I really don't understand why use the word obsolete. As you said it will work. I don't have a PSP and have been tempting to get one with Metal Gear Peace Walkers but what's holding my at this moment is the future of the UMD. I fear that i may spend a lot of money and end without the ability to play the games in the successor.
DaAlienMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#14 DaAlienMan
Member since 2008 • 1076 Posts
[QUOTE="soulreaper-4"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

You are right. I really don't understand why use the word obsolete. As you said it will work. I don't have a PSP and have been tempting to get one with Metal Gear Peace Walkers but what's holding my at this moment is the future of the UMD. I fear that i may spend a lot of money and end without the ability to play the games in the successor.

well thats a pretty tough decision, i mean metal gear peace walker will always be there, so if you waited long enough a psp 1000 plus mgpw would be cheap
damann22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 damann22
Member since 2004 • 7655 Posts

Regardless of what size your local EB/GameStop psp section is the psp is not being phased out. It still has a more loyal followling then anyother handheld around the world.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#18 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

r-teest

I work in retail and my store purposely does not order PSP games. The PSP games do sell...but we do not get all the games that come out for it.

XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

PSP Vs. DS I really don't get why PSP isn't that popular, probably because more people are buying DSs for themselves and their children because of all the commercials and kid appealing games, and with the constant upgrading of DS systems. Most of DS games made aren't for teens or hardcore gamers, and I'm pretty sure a lot of you are out there playing Mario 64 being bored out of your mind. Nintendo keeps making constant, useless new DS systems to get more customers. DS games are even more expensive, a really popular or good PSP game can be down to $7.99 [Patapon 2 PSN]. So what??? DS can take pictures, isn't that what cameras and phones are for. DSiWare sooo cool, I can buy 20/100 of the most crappiest DS games. Whoooaaaa DSi has internet... PSP had that way before DS, and had voice chat too [3000 and Go]. I'm sure there are much more reasons why the DS is stupid for most people, but I'm just listing the ones I know and feel strongly about. jameshwin

This isn't system wars, just FYI. And the way you bash the other handheld is irritating.

soulreaper-4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 soulreaper-4
Member since 2007 • 2247 Posts

[QUOTE="jameshwin"]PSP Vs. DS I really don't get why PSP isn't that popular, probably because more people are buying DSs for themselves and their children because of all the commercials and kid appealing games, and with the constant upgrading of DS systems. Most of DS games made aren't for teens or hardcore gamers, and I'm pretty sure a lot of you are out there playing Mario 64 being bored out of your mind. Nintendo keeps making constant, useless new DS systems to get more customers. DS games are even more expensive, a really popular or good PSP game can be down to $7.99 [Patapon 2 PSN]. So what??? DS can take pictures, isn't that what cameras and phones are for. DSiWare sooo cool, I can buy 20/100 of the most crappiest DS games. Whoooaaaa DSi has internet... PSP had that way before DS, and had voice chat too [3000 and Go]. I'm sure there are much more reasons why the DS is stupid for most people, but I'm just listing the ones I know and feel strongly about. XXI_World

This isn't system wars, just FYI. And the way you bash the other handheld is irritating.

Very true. That comment belongs to system wars.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="r-teest"]

njdevilsfan85

Gamestops out here have a whole section dedicated to PSP games. Walmart has about 4 rows. Best Buy though, has a whole aisle dedicated to games and movies.

right on best buy always has all the games!!! They have more stuff than Gamespot & Wal Mart

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

r-teest

well the gamestops near me have a rack about 5 feet tall that has PSP games on both sides. One side is NEW, the other side is USED. I dont know what's up with the GS near you, but I'd talk to them. I get PSP games pretty cheap, and they are still releasing games on the Playstationstore in case you didnt notice. I actually just bought Rockband Unplugged(New on sale) for $10 at Gamestop yesterday. But I agree that the PSP is losing support. Blockbuster doesnt rent the games anymore, a few sell the games for cheap (thats how i got Secret Agent Clank and LoccoRocco2 cheap). Also, you dont really see many new releases for the psp. So hopefully Sony at least releases details of a PSP2 or something in the next year. I'd hate for the 3DS to be the ONLY handheld on the market.

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#23 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

The PSP seems to have little support all around for a few years now. If you just look at the upcoming games list over at GS you'll have seen a very short list for a very long time. Personally I like having a PSP Go and having a nice PSone library anywhere I go and I'm a Phantasy Star fan to such an extreme that if a console has it then I have the console regardless of other games, and it still has Phantasy Star Portable 2 coming and those things keep me interested. Most people want new games and there just aren't much. I kinda think that while Sony continues to support the PS2 that cuts on their focus on current systems, I think it would be better to have one system have better support instead of having 3 systems going at the same time.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Coolyfett

Yah my GS doesn't even have a PSP wall anymore, just a small stand. I'm trying to catch up on the games, been a decent summer. Still need to get hotshots tennis and MGS PW, plus I want to try out Gran Turismo. Then next month that Ys game comes out, as well as Valkyria Chronicles 2.hockey73

Gamespot Managers can be fanboys too....Im a witness to it.

r-teest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 r-teest
Member since 2007 • 949 Posts

[QUOTE="hockey73"]Yah my GS doesn't even have a PSP wall anymore, just a small stand. I'm trying to catch up on the games, been a decent summer. Still need to get hotshots tennis and MGS PW, plus I want to try out Gran Turismo. Then next month that Ys game comes out, as well as Valkyria Chronicles 2.Coolyfett

Yea, I was a witness to this countless times...

mralspsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mralspsp
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

Actually, all the stores where I live now have decent PSP selections compared to over a year ago.

There is still hope yet! :)

thud4man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thud4man
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts

My local Walmart is no way to judge if a system is successful or not. If that was so, then every system, console and portable, is becoming obsolete. There is just a very horrid selection of games too, as if the one who stocks the area doesn't have a clue. It is so rare when I purchase a game at Walmart. My local Gamestop, on the other hand, has a very good PSP wall of games. They even carry a selection of the very rare UMD movies. So I would say that some of the reason for how Gamestop may carry the PSP is how well something sells in a given area. The PSP is a alive and well in my local area and doing very good.

icedout06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 icedout06
Member since 2003 • 305 Posts
needs more good exclusives imo but not becoming obselete i think mgs pw should continue with its own series exclusive to psp i would like to see the resident evil portable come out (with 4 player mulitplayer like RE outbreak online, adhoc or infrastructure) and keep the silent hills coming just more exclusives in general from good companies is what it needs imo
Avatar image for EyeShatteredSky
EyeShatteredSky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#30 EyeShatteredSky
Member since 2008 • 1510 Posts

My local Gamestop has one of the largest selections of PSP UMDs this side of Virgina! The wal-mart on the other hand, has barely jack. So I guess it just depends on the location and business. I also think that Digital Downloading has something to do with it as well.

mralspsp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mralspsp
Member since 2006 • 149 Posts

My local Gamestop has one of the largest selections of PSP UMDs this side of Virgina! The wal-mart on the other hand, has barely jack. So I guess it just depends on the location and business. I also think that Digital Downloading has something to do with it as well.

EyeShatteredSky

Downloading has already affected the video rental locations where I live. The only place where you can rent videos and movies is Blockbuster. And they are almost bankrupt. There is also those rental machines where you can pick one up for $2.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Coolyfett

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="hockey73"]Yah my GS doesn't even have a PSP wall anymore, just a small stand. I'm trying to catch up on the games, been a decent summer. Still need to get hotshots tennis and MGS PW, plus I want to try out Gran Turismo. Then next month that Ys game comes out, as well as Valkyria Chronicles 2.r-teest

Yea, I was a witness to this countless times...

I was out of the gaming loop for a few years man...and decided to get back in...went to gamespot to ask questions about the PSP and this dude was like well have you tried the DS its better and cheaper and I was like????? So I had to google it...I didnt even know what either system was.

thud4man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thud4man
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts

Compared to NDS, PSP is really a loser.mouseheart0601

Is that from a lack of support from the game companies?

The PSP is a very impressive and powerful little portable. It baffles me that it is not as successful as the PS2.

bloom467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 bloom467
Member since 2009 • 192 Posts

i think the psp will make a comeback real soon. maybe when it starts to include like five free games and a free pizza hut...

Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

Hardly, all the best games came out or is coming out this year (Peacewalker, P3, VC2, KH:BBS, GOW:GOS).

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I definitely wouldn't say the PSP is becoming obsolete. They is still plenty of life in that lil guy.

MexicanNinja8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MexicanNinja8
Member since 2010 • 306 Posts

Walmart always has a little selection of PSP games but my gamestop still have a whole wall filled with psp games so its just yours downloading games are not making it to well in the psp ways

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Coolyfett

I definitely wouldn't say the PSP is becoming obsolete. They is still plenty of life in that lil guy.

OfficialBed

The PSP is one of the greatest entertainment devices of mankind. Coolyfett thoroughly enjoys using his PSP for entertainment. He only had to pay 170 dollars for it, but to Coolyfett is was a rather superb investment. Peace and Love to everyone.

XXI_World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 XXI_World
Member since 2008 • 2050 Posts

[QUOTE="OfficialBed"]

Coolyfett

The PSP is one of the greatest entertainment devices of mankind. Coolyfett thoroughly enjoys using his PSP for entertainment. He only had to pay 170 dollars for it, but to Coolyfett is was a rather superb investment. Peace and Love to everyone.

Uhh... may I ask... what's gotten into you? You've been speaking strangely for some time.

Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts
PSP hardware doesn't sell very well, so they're cutting down on how much they keep in store. No use in just keeping it around for a long time.
Avatar image for MillenialFair99
MillenialFair99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MillenialFair99
Member since 2010 • 2866 Posts

[QUOTE="Coolyfett"]

[QUOTE="OfficialBed"]

XXI_World

Uhh... may I ask... what's gotten into you? You've been speaking strangely for some time.

Whenever he mails me he talks like some chav gangster :?

bekki2308

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bekki2308
i've noticed that there isnt as many games or space in shops for the psp compared to the ds but it didnt stop me buying one. there used to be lots of games for both but my local store literally has about 10 games in store compared to a whole wall of the shop dedicated to ds. Has the decline in shop space for the psp shown a trend with psp go sales ?
kipohippo021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#45 kipohippo021
Member since 2010 • 3895 Posts
its a dying breed :( sad, but true.
Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Coolyfett

PSP hardware doesn't sell very well, so they're cutting down on how much they keep in store. No use in just keeping it around for a long time.MillenialFair99

There is a use for keeping the games in rotation. Sometimes games sit on shelves for a while before they hit the bargain bin. It is just the life of video games as well as any other media. Coolyfett actually buys his stuff of PSN now, but he is known to keep an eye on umds in the stores. Its the right thing to do. Peace and Love.

xViViDly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 xViViDly
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
It needs more AAA titles. 'Nuff said.
Avatar image for Banjo_Kongfooie
Banjo_Kongfooie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Banjo_Kongfooie
Member since 2007 • 3838 Posts

r-teest

Well it is getting pretty old now... Especially in this day in age with technology advancing rapidly.

It still has life in it though even going into 011 and it is nice that Sony isn't giving up on the Psp. But of course when the 3DS comes out a contest will emerge from the "graphics do not matter" crowd between their new device and a 5+ year old system...

bekki2308

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 bekki2308
even if its obsolete soon i love it , I played on my gameboy colour , N64 long after they were obsolete. I got Lumines, Go Sodoku, Me and my katamari and loco roco 2 yesterday for 20 gbp 30 us dollar , things are more expensive in the UK to start with but as two of these games were new the price is awesome here. The ps1 games on the psp are awesome, these old games just look awful on our HD 40 inch tv but they look good on the psp and this is enough to keep me happy :)
MorbidToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MorbidToaster
Member since 2008 • 1434 Posts

No it's not obsolete. There's plent of good games coming out for/come out recently for it.

You've got Patapon 3 (if you like those games)

MGS Peace Walker

Valkyria Chronicles 2

Prinny 2

Disgaea Infinite (which just released)

DJ Max 3 (coming the US, anyway)

Project Diva 2 (Just released)

God of War: Ghost of Sparta (I'm not a fan, but plenty of people are)

Plus all the downloadables that keep hitting the PSN. Games, Minis, PSOne Classics...

There's still tons of great games coming for the PSP.