PSone and PS2 emulation possibly coming to PS4!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4

I want this to be true!

What do you guys think?

ominous_titan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By ominous_titan
Member since 2009 • 1217 Posts

i would love it ,old ps2 croaked before i could finish ff12 .would love to dig my teeth back in that one

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

I would LOVE this!!

It would make sense to conserve bandwidth. I hope this is true.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

It would be so awesome.

pupp3t_mast3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By pupp3t_mast3r
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

@Jak-25 said:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4

I want this to be true!

What do you guys think?

To quote Starcraft 2 "Hell.... It's about time."

Avatar image for ristactionjakso
ristactionjakso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#6 ristactionjakso
Member since 2011 • 6118 Posts

Yes. Just yes.

roboccs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 roboccs
Member since 2006 • 7851 Posts

@ominous_titan: I need to finish FF12 too! I have it on my PS2 but am too lazy to hook it up!

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yes please.

GrindheadJim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 GrindheadJim
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Based on what I've read, i have no reason to believe that this emulation will work with discs, only with downloaded games, and, even then, no guarantee that the PS3 digital games would work - I bet they wouldn't, due to the coding for the Cell.

I hopeI am wrong.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

According to reports they're supposed to emulate these to work with HD, not just a grainy upscale that they did with PS3.

I just hope that they offer all of the titles from the PS1 & PS2 era. There were some awesome (less popular) games for those systems that I'd love to play again.

Avatar image for Mortalmaster123
Mortalmaster123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mortalmaster123
Member since 2005 • 1275 Posts

I have to agree, I hope they bring back a majority of the titles on the emulation. I for one and super psyched to give Battlefield 2 multiplayer a go in hd native resolution. Please oh please sony!

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Yeah, this is probably for digital downloads of the games only. I still need to fix my damn 60gb PS3 so I can play my PS2 games again.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

it would be pretty awesome if true. it would be a big selling point (for me anyway) to have so many consoles all in one box.

still, i have my doubts that it's happening. even if they could get it to work on any useful scale (reading game discs), there's so much money to be made by just reselling the games or selling them in services (like the PS now).

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

I'm only exited about this if they offer disc-based emulation.

Offering PS1 and PS2 titles for download doesn't thrill me, because it's the sort of thing I'd expect them to do anyway. They did it on PS3.

Ideally I'd like to see them do both. There's a few titles I would definitely buy as downloads, but there's also a few titles I already have that are unlikely to be offered as downloads.

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

@Audacitron: It would probably be the same library on PS3/Vita now. Not many PS2 games on there either way. The PS1 selection is decent.

At least the PS3 still plays disc-based PS1 games. I'd surprised if disc-based PS1 support wasn't added to PS4 at some point.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#16 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Depends on the price per PS1 and PS2 game for me. For example, on the PSN store, Tomb Raider costs ten dollars. I'm not paying ten dollars for a game that old.

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Audacitron

@Lhomity said:

@Audacitron: It would probably be the same library on PS3/Vita now. Not many PS2 games on there either way. The PS1 selection is decent.

At least the PS3 still plays disc-based PS1 games. I'd surprised if disc-based PS1 support wasn't added to PS4 at some point.

Exactly. This is why it wouldn't excite me. I can already do that on PS3.

I also figure if PS3 can disc-play PS1 games, PS4 should be able to disc-play PS2. I can understand the hardware limitations they had with emulating the immediate predecessor generation (PS4 doesn't have the cell), but if they can emulate PS2 from disc on PS4, they absolutely should. Deliberately leaving it out so they can charge people to double-dip for games they already own is the kind of cynicism that shouldn't be tolerated.

I think people are far too willing to accept compromise on this. Seems like we need Xbox to do it before people will expect Sony to do the same.

Sony should definitely do it, the gamer goodwill would be tremendous. It would be like when they announced their policy on used games, a way of showing their commitment to doing things the way things should be done.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Releasing a Playstation and Playstation 2 software emulator within a PS4 firmware update could be easily done. To allow for PS1/PS2 game streaming vai Playstation now. Sony won't allow the playback of PSone and PS2 disc based games on the Playstation 4. Otherwise they would have just released a SKU with PS1/PS2/PS3 playback.

Sony has just paid 380 Million for Gaikai. So they will end up with a PS3 Channel and PS2 channel and PS1 Channel for streaming classic Playstation games to PS4. Hopefully it will be a years worth of unlimited play for a reasonable price.

So will shall see when Playstation now begins in late 2014.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#19 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Just add freaking trophies!

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Audacitron

@Megavideogamer said:

Releasing a Playstation and Playstation 2 software emulator within a PS4 firmware update could be easily done. To allow for PS1/PS2 game streaming vai Playstation now. Sony won't allow the playback of PSone and PS2 disc based games on the Playstation 4. Otherwise they would have just released a SKU with PS1/PS2/PS3 playback.

Sony has just paid 380 Million for Gaikai. So they will end up with a PS3 Channel and PS2 channel and PS1 Channel for streaming classic Playstation games to PS4. Hopefully it will be a years worth of unlimited play for a reasonable price.

So will shall see when Playstation now begins in late 2014.

According to the article, PS1 + PS2 will be emulated. It may also be possible to play PS1/2 games via streaming on PSNow.

PSNow is about more than PS4. It's being built into every new Sony television, as well as other devices. What Sony paid for Gaikai is a comparatively small sum.

Putting an emulator for old games on PS4 isn't going to cut into that market in any substantial way. If you have PSNow, you'll be able to continue your game anywhere with good internet, on Vita, on some hotel tv. PSNow has advantages that will make it preferable to some.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

why would I buy again a digital version when I own the physical disc, then proving I trusted Sony and the PS1, now not being rewarded for my faith in the product when they needed it more? the thing would be to identify the disc, allow for a download and not allow the disc to be used again

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Audacitron
@TheTenth10 said:

why would I buy again a digital version when I own the physical disc, then proving I trusted Sony and the PS1, now not being rewarded for my faith in the product when they needed it more? the thing would be to identify the disc, allow for a download and not allow the disc to be used again

the ideal would be for it to just emulate the PS2/PS1, as the PS3 emulates the PS1. Then you just put in your disc, and play it, and you don't have to download anything.

As you point out, backwards compatibility rewards gamers for supporting them in the past.

They'll still sell downloads to people who no longer have their disc, as well as those who never had it nor played it before in the first place.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I really hope this means discs, but if they let you keep all of the classics you purchased on PS3 and allow upscale then it really wouldn't be too bad. I have tons of PS1 and PS2 games downloaded. But I also have quite a few discs! :/

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

I see no reason why they can't allow discs. The only thing stopping them from allowing us to play discs is greed. Sony has this "pro-consumer" image so in order to keep it up they should do it. I mean, PS3 played PSone discs and they still sold PSone classics on the PSN store.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#25 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@Jak-25 said:

I want this to be true!

What do you guys think?

SCE and Playstation need to keep a close eye on Virtual Console. They need to create a system where games from legacy systems can be played on current gen. Coolyfett loves many old school Playstation titles, but is taking a wait an see approach with the Playstation 4

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

hopefully it will

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I really hope that PSone and Playstation 2 games come to PS4 via emulation. The gaikai/Playstation now service is supposed to launch this year. So releasing a software update containing a PS1/PS2 emulator could happen. E3 2014 would be the earliest date to know if this will happen. But may not be this year. Sony is going to launch Playstation Now with Playstation 3 games. So if the streaming service can do this without too much trouble than PS1 and PS2 games will come later.

So here is hoping for the best.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts

I want this simply to be able to play Suikoden II again since they have yet to bring it to PSN.