PS4 the best selling Sony console so far

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70660 posts) -

It's selling faster than any other at this point in time after release. Do you think it can sell more than PS2, even though it sold 150 million?

PlayStation:

4 months (one territory) – March 31st, 1995 – 0.85 million

10 months – September 30th, 1995 – 1.77 million

16 months – March 31st, 1996 – 4.26 million

22 months – September 30th, 1996 – 8.07 million

28 months – March 31st, 1997 – 13.50 million

PS2:

1 month (one territory) – March 31st, 2000 – 1.41 million

7 months (one territory) – September 30th, 2000 – 3.52 million

13 months – March 31st, 2001 – 10.61 million

19 months – September 30th, 2001 – 19.58 million

22 months – December 30th, 2001 – 24.99 million

PS3:

1 month – December 31st, 2006 – 1.7 million

4 months – March 31st, 2007 – 3.5 million

7 months – June 30th, 2007 – 4.2 million

10 months – September 30th, 2007 – 5.5 million

13 months – December 31st, 2007 – 10.4 million

PS4:

1 day – November 16th, 2013 – 1 million

2 weeks – December 1st, 2013 – 2.1 million

1 month – December 28th, 2013 – 4.2 million

3 months – February 8th, 2014 – 5.3 million

Link

#2 Edited by CyberLips (1815 posts) -

The PS4 is doing very good but i don't think it will sell more than the PS2. They ps2 was groundbreaking, a huge leap from the ps1. If anything i think the ps3 will sell more than the ps4. Just my opinion.

#3 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70660 posts) -

The PS4 is doing very good but i don't think it will sell more than the PS2. They ps2 was groundbreaking, a huge leap from the ps1. If anything i think the ps3 will sell more than the ps4. Just my opinion.

Everyone said consoles were dead before the launch, now look at it

#4 Edited by marcheegsr (2519 posts) -

150 million is a big number to live up to. I don't think it will sell that much but its doing really really well right now so who knows.

#5 Edited by The_Last_Ride (70660 posts) -

150 million is a big number to live up to. I don't think it will sell that much but its doing really really well right now so who knows.

True but it doesn't seem that X1 or Wii U will sell that much

#6 Posted by Megavideogamer (5321 posts) -

Playstation 4 has had the best launch and launch window of all the Playstations. Plus after the Japan launch the PS4 should easy pass the lifetime sales of Nintendo's Wii U. Currently PS4 has 5.3 Million in 3 months 4 days while Nintendo Wii U has just 5.7 Million in 15 months 1 day. Once the PS4 launches in Japan on Feb 22nd 2014. Another 1-2 million consoles should be sold by the end of the launch Window March 31st 2014.

Sony has done well with the launch of the PS4. Besting Mircosoft Xbox one and leaving Wii U in the dust. This is what happens when Sony releases the most tech powerful console at a really reasonable price $399.99 as opposed to MS Xbox one at $499.99 and Nintendo's 8th Generation console with 7th generation tech for $299.99.

So far so good for the Playstation 4.

#7 Edited by thirdson1812 (71 posts) -

Probably by the end of the console's lifespan and when the PS5 comes out (only if there will be a PS5), it would probably be close to the ps2's 150 million selling point or even more. We have to wait and see. But I do agree that after launch, it is the fastest selling PS console so far.

#8 Edited by special-ops (116 posts) -

I am so happy that PS4 sold 5.3 million more than XboxOne and I don't know if it can sell more than PS2 because PS2 sold 155 million

#9 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70660 posts) -

Probably by the end of the console's lifespan and when the PS5 comes out (only if there will be a PS5), it would probably be close to the ps2's 150 million selling point or even more. We have to wait and see. But I do agree that after launch, it is the fastest selling PS console so far.

It is too early to say, but it is looking good so far

#10 Posted by gagit811 (3574 posts) -

I think that has more to do with how many systems they had at launch. I'm sure if they would have launched the ps2 with as many or more units they did with as the ps4 the ps2 would beat it no doubt. They have learned over the years with system launches, and even then they still can keep systems on the shelves.

#11 Posted by MarcRecon (5473 posts) -

@thirdson1812 said:

Agreed, right now sony is winning in the hardware department, but as time goes on the software will be the deciding factor.

#12 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

Wow! How times have changed. I was a relatively early adopter of the PS1 (Bought mine in Nov '95. It was released in the US in Sept '95), and, even at that early date, it was regarded as big hit compared to its principal competition back then - the Sega Saturn. I had no idea that the initial sales figures were (by today's standards) so paltry, especially when you consider how many units would eventually be sold.

#13 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70660 posts) -

@gagit811 said:

I think that has more to do with how many systems they had at launch. I'm sure if they would have launched the ps2 with as many or more units they did with as the ps4 the ps2 would beat it no doubt. They have learned over the years with system launches, and even then they still can keep systems on the shelves.

But there are more gamers now compared to a decade ago, because everyone was frowning on gaming as stupid and that is was a time wasting hobby

#14 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25594 posts) -

PS2 is at 158 million, afaik. It should end somewhere between that and PS1/3.

#15 Posted by gagit811 (3574 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: true of the state of gaming when the ps2 was released. There are more gamers now and it far more accepted mainstream wise. You also have to take into account cell phones, tablets and just far more devices we have that can play games.

I believe the ps4 will sell well over its live span, but hitting 150 million sold is a feat even the ps3, 360 or wii have not been able to achieve. Our Technology advances fast and our attention spans are shorter. I don't pretend to know how long this console cycle will last, but I bet it will be shorter then the last cycle. So they will probable sell less then 150 but hit high 90s of millions sold.

#16 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70660 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@thirdson1812 said:

Agreed, right now sony is winning in the hardware department, but as time goes on the software will be the deciding factor.

For now, Sony is winning there too when it comes to sales and quality so far

#17 Edited by mariokart64fan (19379 posts) -

i think it will be ps4 and then wiiu then x1 in terms of sales like it was the 6 th gen , AND UNLESS PS4 GETS TO 99,99 I DOUBT IT PASSES SONYS PS2S Sales or nds sales ,

#18 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70660 posts) -

@Puggy301 said:

Wow! How times have changed. I was a relatively early adopter of the PS1 (Bought mine in Nov '95. It was released in the US in Sept '95), and, even at that early date, it was regarded as big hit compared to its principal competition back then - the Sega Saturn. I had no idea that the initial sales figures were (by today's standards) so paltry, especially when you consider how many units would eventually be sold.

This might indicate that there are mor players today compared to 7-8 years ago

#19 Posted by Coolyfett (5079 posts) -

You dont see a 9th gaming generation?? It should happen. Coolyfett hopes Playstation 4 and Xbox One last for at least 8 years strong. Dont really see the Wii U being Nintendo last attempt at console gaminng, Do you??

#20 Posted by MondasM (1224 posts) -

although moore's law took a blow in the past few years, i do not think that this generation would extend beyond 2020 as by then current generation... i have high hopes for blade runner's year... :)

#21 Posted by jkmoore2014 (6 posts) -

Well yes indeed the ps4 is selling but how many of them work? I have gotten two so far from Game Stop online and neither have worked. Hopefully something changes soon. Paid over six hundred and nothing to show for it.

#22 Posted by thirdson1812 (71 posts) -

@Coolyfett: there have been speculations that the future will be a competition between services instead of a competition between hardware. There are rumours that sony, microsoft and nintendo will probably be drifting away from consoles and focusing on online services such as steam or a cloud streaming service like PS now. It think its completely dumb and stupid and in my opinion, I think all 3 companies should stick with physical consoles forever.

#24 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70660 posts) -

Well yes indeed the ps4 is selling but how many of them work? I have gotten two so far from Game Stop online and neither have worked. Hopefully something changes soon. Paid over six hundred and nothing to show for it.

Mine has worked perfectly so far, you must have had some bad luck

#25 Edited by MarcRecon (5473 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@jkmoore2014 said:

Mine has worked perfectly so far, you must have had some bad luck

His bad luck is being a troll! lol

#26 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

It's doing good but it hasn't done better than the PS2 just yet.

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70660 posts) -

It's doing good but it hasn't done better than the PS2 just yet.

oh no doubt it hasn't, but it is looking good though

#28 Posted by sssb (468 posts) -

Actually depend on games, PS2 has so many great games, if PS4 has fun and enjoyable games I think PS4 will be on top, I still don't get PS4 because no good games grab me into it maybe at end of april when FFXIV released.