PS4 remote play is... horrible

#1 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73563 posts) -

Tried to remote play on the Vita today and couldn't even keep the thing connected for a minute. It would connect, lag like all hell, freak out on the video, and then disconnect. Any advice to try to fix this thing? If I can't get it working at home, when I'm five feet from the thing, no way can I get it working when I'm at work.

#2 Posted by MethodManFTW (25360 posts) -

It's your network, not the technology. Works for me at home, and also when I am at work miles away.

#3 Posted by RiKanKiDD (1058 posts) -

I havent had a single Issue and i use remote play a lot for Ps4 games.

#4 Edited by CybaCowboy (5 posts) -

@MethodManFTW said:

It's your network, not the technology. Works for me at home, and also when I am at work miles away.

I agree.

We don't have a PlayStation 4 (yet!) and thus I have only used it on the PlayStation 3, but I have never had any problems with it... It just depends on network speeds and whatnot.

#5 Edited by dipdish (858 posts) -

It must be a connection issue. When I first got my Vita, it could not connect to my PS3, my PC or PSN via wi-fi. I played with DNS, and the problem solved. Maybe the same issue here?

#6 Edited by withe1982 (450 posts) -

@JustPlainLucas said:

Tried to remote play on the Vita today and couldn't even keep the thing connected for a minute. It would connect, lag like all hell, freak out on the video, and then disconnect. Any advice to try to fix this thing? If I can't get it working at home, when I'm five feet from the thing, no way can I get it working when I'm at work.

It does sound like your internet speed may not be up to scratch and an upgrade may be in order. You'd be surprised how cheaply you can get very fast broadband these days.

Make sure your ps4 is wired and not connected wireless also make sure no computers or laptops are running any programs which may effect your connection.

I have 5-7mb internet at most at home and my remote play works like a charm. I've completed at least 50% of InFAMOUS:SS on my Vita. I have tried from work a few times but the lousy 2mb connection here isn't strong enough at all.

#7 Posted by bezza2011 (2200 posts) -

PS4 wired connection and it should work fine, i believe it's the wireless which seems to be the problems but it does come down to your internet speed aswell

#8 Posted by MBirdy88 (7139 posts) -

I'm confused, your all talking about internet speed, yet when using adhoc router connection (E.G both devices are connected to your same router) they do not use your internet connect? just wireless network? at least, thats how I THOUGHT it worked.

I dont have wired connected on my PS4 and it works fine... though I do have fibre.

#9 Posted by JohnF111 (14008 posts) -

@MBirdy88: yeah that threw me as well, remote play also works when you're at work so I guess that's where some people were going. It does look like your local connection may have an issue, possibly as mentioned the wireless connection. Also maybe your router could have 100mbps switch built in putting quite a limit on the bandwidth, I doubt its the vita or PS4 however but can't rule it out.

#10 Edited by porkchopxp (1126 posts) -

"remote play is horrible"

Correction: remote play works horrible for you. I think it has been well documented that remote play is a success. Reconfigure your internet setup and give it another try. Personally I have had nothing but good experiences even when out of the house.

#11 Edited by Terrencec06 (3395 posts) -

"remote play is horrible"

Correction: remote play works horrible for you. I think it has been well documented that remote play is a success. Reconfigure your internet setup and give it another try. Personally I have had nothing but good experiences even when out of the house.

Well done sir lol....

But yeah Remote play works fine for me too.

#12 Posted by jaay55 (205 posts) -

@MBirdy88: How i think it works is it uses the routers data transfer speed when both devices are connected to the same router, thus no internet data is being used and the speeds are capped at the routers capabilities (including signal strength and such when using wifi). Now when one is connected to your home router, and another is connected to another router, then internet data is used because they must send data outside of your local network. Now the speeds are capped by your ISP. NOTE: I am not too sure about how it works but i think that is the gist of it.

#13 Posted by MBirdy88 (7139 posts) -

@jaay55 said:

@MBirdy88: How i think it works is it uses the routers data transfer speed when both devices are connected to the same router, thus no internet data is being used and the speeds are capped at the routers capabilities (including signal strength and such when using wifi). Now when one is connected to your home router, and another is connected to another router, then internet data is used because they must send data outside of your local network. Now the speeds are capped by your ISP. NOTE: I am not too sure about how it works but i think that is the gist of it.

Indeed, I have to ask though, how do you even check/change these settings or is it automatic? I can't see to find anyway to look/change it on either my PS4 or Vita... I would like to experiment.

#14 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73563 posts) -

I find it odd that I've played both FFXIV on PS3 and PS4 and they run just fine. Netflix runs fine on all devices. My internet speed is roughly 10-13 Mb/s and I've no issues with connecting to the Vita to the PS3... Oh well. Only thing I can do now is try to wire the PS4 but I'll have the get a cord because the router's too far away.

#15 Posted by ankor77 (932 posts) -

Remote play hasnt been great for me either. I have good fiber optic internet through fios and my other wireless devices get great download speeds. The router is maybe 3 years old. I can connect but the latency is annoying. Maybe its because im playing a twitch game like resogun which requires precise controls. I have tried dialing into my ps4 from miles away and that has not worked at all.

#16 Posted by dcno07 (2574 posts) -

It might not be your internet.. My PS4 is wired, my hard wired speed is 50 Mb/s + and wireless is about 26 Mb/s (when I'm right next to the router) and remote play is pretty choppy and unplayable. However at my gf's place where my vita reads her wireless speed at about 11 Mb/s it works PERFECTLY.. I have no clue what causes this... I don't really care tho because there is no reason for me to ever remote play from my own house.

#17 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (10889 posts) -

Same as the guy above. I have a 50+Mb/s connection and it is usually terrible. Once I did manage to get a smooth session of Injustice and about 10 minutes of Ghosts another time but no such luck ever again. It's certainly not my internet, at least not my speeds.

#18 Edited by Shonuff331 (82 posts) -

Ditto. Remote Play works flawlessly in the home, away from home over wifi and even when using my cellphone as a mobile hotspot.

#19 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (10889 posts) -

@Shonuff331: I highly doubt that. 3G and 4G speeds are not fast enough.

-Edit- Just checked it out, apparently it has had some positive results for some people even though its not perfect. They ended with

"The point is these conditions were very far from ideal, but the results were serviceable, suggesting that in many other conditions it will provide an even smoother experience."

I'll have to give that a go!

#20 Posted by Dilrod (4233 posts) -

Remote play works great for me, and I'm about 50 feet away and upstairs from my router.

#21 Posted by Shonuff331 (82 posts) -

@Shonuff331: I highly doubt that. 3G and 4G speeds are not fast enough.

-Edit- Just checked it out, apparently it has had some positive results for some people even though its not perfect. They ended with

"The point is these conditions were very far from ideal, but the results were serviceable, suggesting that in many other conditions it will provide an even smoother experience."

I'll have to give that a go!

You're free to doubt it if you like. That doesn't change my experience and I have zero reason to lie about it, especially on a message board I comment on so infrequently. It works flawlessly for me on 5 bars. On 4 bars the video quality is noticeably soft but still playable and enjoyable. On 3 bars I see heavy macroblocking in fast motion scenes making the games playable but not entirely enjoyable. 2 bars or less is simply hilarious. Makes every game look like Thomas is Alone mixed with Starseed Pilgrim IF it keeps a connection.

#22 Posted by SoAmazingBaby (2737 posts) -

Sounds like your network, yes.

#23 Edited by Kaze_no_Mirai (10889 posts) -

@Shonuff331: There's no need to take it so personally. In case you missed it I check it out and found some other positive results which I mentioned in my edit. I apologize if I came of as douchy or something.

#24 Edited by Shonuff331 (82 posts) -

@Shonuff331: There's no need to take it so personally. In case you missed it I check it out and found some other positive results which I mentioned in my edit. I apologize if I came of as douchy or something.

No worries here Kaze and no need for apologies. Give it a shot though. I hope it works as well for you as it does for me. The ability to essentially "take my PS4" with me in my pocket has been a real game changer and I frankly didn't expect it to be before trying it. Games that were coming out both on PS4 and PC I would ordinarily get on my PC without a second thought but now I actually debate which version I want. Do I want mods and sharper visuals or do I really want to be able to take this game with me on my travels? I didn't think anything would make me consider getting multiplatform games on a console as opposed to a PC again but the remote play and how well it's worked really changed my mind. That's the only reason I chimed in on this topic. As you can see I've been here over 10 years with only 80 something posts. I have to feel strong about something to comment here these days for what that's worth. Regards.

#25 Edited by guynamedbilly (12917 posts) -

Ignore the people talking about your internet connection. They have no clue.

Your wireless router might be crappy or you might have a lot of electric interference between the PS4 and the router or the Vita and the router, or the Vita or PS4 could be faulty.

Might want to try connecting directly to the PS4 using the PS4 as an access point.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/direct.html

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5065/~/ps4-remote-play-and-second-screen

#26 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73563 posts) -

Ignore the people talking about your internet connection. They have no clue.

Your wireless router might be crappy or you might have a lot of electric interference between the PS4 and the router or the Vita and the router, or the Vita or PS4 could be faulty.

Might want to try connecting directly to the PS4 using the PS4 as an access point.

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/settings/direct.html

https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5065/~/ps4-remote-play-and-second-screen

Even though I just figured this out about a half hour ago, I must say thank you for providing some useful information other than "durr it's your network". Now, the Vita works beautifully. I'll have to give it another go at work tomorrow and see how it fairs.

#27 Edited by GrayF0X786 (3813 posts) -

i have absolutely no issues with remote play, i even finished all of Ground Zeroes on one sitting using the vita.

#28 Posted by donalbane (16136 posts) -

I have had great experiences with it for the most part. When my wife wanted to watch the weather channel during a big storm, I beat Outlast on the VIta, which was great. As others have said, if you are having problems, it may be your network... possibly a latency issue. Also, it may be a firewall issue requiring port forwarding or something like that. I can't play it remotely (not at home) because none of the networks I access are fast enough, so that's unfortunate, but overall it's a tremendous achievement.