PS4 multiplayer question

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by HipHopBeats (2874 posts) -

So I get Sony is now charging maybe $50 / yr for multiplayer.

My question is what about games like Dark Souls or Dragon's Dogma where you are actually not playing co-op / multiplayer with other humans but you can still log online to invade other player worlds and rent pawns from other people.

Would that still be considered multiplayer?

#2 Posted by Sonny360Elite (1572 posts) -
I would think so but I'm not certain.
#3 Posted by Bladex2k (2754 posts) -

yes that is a online feature so now you will need to be a psn+ user to use features like that on nex gen

#4 Posted by mep69 (1836 posts) -
This is BS. There was nothing wrong with their online on the PS3, why change this suddenly ...... Sigh
#5 Posted by feryl06 (4931 posts) -
Because they saw how profitable it was for the other console to charge a low monthly rate....
#6 Posted by Kravyn81 (9438 posts) -
If it requires an online server then it's considered online whether you're playing with people or not.
#7 Posted by MethodManFTW (25584 posts) -
Yeah, multiplayer is multiplayer.
#8 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -
Oh well I can kiss platinums with online goodbye. I hate multiplayer trophies unless they're like uncharted ie play two games online and that's it. You see here is the problem, even if say uncharted 4 came out and ND made only two online trophies mandatory to get the platinum, I wouldn't bother because I'm only going to pay whatever they're charging (UK price) to play online to get the two trophies and that's it. I won't touch multiplayer in any game again so I will be wasting my money effectively. This is the exact reason I ran away from the Xbox 360 because I'd be paying for three months to play on/off with friends and not be recouping the money I spent for Xbox live Gold because I'm not a heavy online gamer. It sucks for people like me who want to play online rarely to get the easy multiplayer trophies like just play a game of deathmatch for eg and here is your platinum.
#9 Posted by MethodManFTW (25584 posts) -
Oh well I can kiss platinums with online goodbye. I hate multiplayer trophies unless they're like uncharted ie play two games online and that's it. You see here is the problem, even if say uncharted 4 came out and ND made only two online trophies mandatory to get the platinum, I wouldn't bother because I'm only going to pay whatever they're charging (UK price) to play online to get the two trophies and that's it. I won't touch multiplayer in any game again so I will be wasting my money effectively. This is the exact reason I ran away from the Xbox 360 because I'd be paying for three months to play on/off with friends and not be recouping the money I spent for Xbox live Gold because I'm not a heavy online gamer. It sucks for people like me who want to play online rarely to get the easy multiplayer trophies like just play a game of deathmatch for eg and here is your platinum.H_M_1
qq trophy hunters.
#10 Posted by Bladex2k (2754 posts) -
Because they saw how profitable it was for the other console to charge a low monthly rate.... feryl06
yeap tons of money say out of the 70 mil ps3 users 30 million payed 50$ in a year thats 1.5 bil.... so thats why they did it easy money for them
#11 Posted by MethodManFTW (25584 posts) -
[QUOTE="feryl06"]Because they saw how profitable it was for the other console to charge a low monthly rate.... Bladex2k
yeap tons of money say out of the 70 mil ps3 users 30 million payed 50$ in a year thats 1.5 bil.... so thats why they did it easy money for them

Do you have any data showing 30 million yearly subscribers?
#12 Posted by H_M_1 (1150 posts) -
[QUOTE="H_M_1"]Oh well I can kiss platinums with online goodbye. I hate multiplayer trophies unless they're like uncharted ie play two games online and that's it. You see here is the problem, even if say uncharted 4 came out and ND made only two online trophies mandatory to get the platinum, I wouldn't bother because I'm only going to pay whatever they're charging (UK price) to play online to get the two trophies and that's it. I won't touch multiplayer in any game again so I will be wasting my money effectively. This is the exact reason I ran away from the Xbox 360 because I'd be paying for three months to play on/off with friends and not be recouping the money I spent for Xbox live Gold because I'm not a heavy online gamer. It sucks for people like me who want to play online rarely to get the easy multiplayer trophies like just play a game of deathmatch for eg and here is your platinum.MethodManFTW
qq trophy hunters.

I'm sure other people are in the same boat as me, those who hate online gaming. I should've also mentioned that despite the popularity of PS+ it doesn't really appeal to me much, if they were to offer games like Diablo 3, Uncharted 4 (assuming it comes out) etc then I may reconsider. A good idea would be to give one year free PS+ to all early PS4 adopters lol.