PS4 Headphones - Christmas Present

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Wrecks67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wrecks67
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I'm brand new here and signed up to ask for help picking PS4 headphones as a Christmas present for my 14 year old son. I know I could start a war with a discussion of audiophile headphones vs gaming headsets - trust me - I know the difference, he does not.

My goal is to find him something for about $150 or less that has good sound, is wireless (simply because the wire would otherwise block people from walking across the living room while he plays), and is comparable with the PS4. It seems like the SkullCandy PLYR 1 has a decent reputation...is that true?

On the wireless front, plugging directly into his controller is not out of the question, I just don't want a wire stretching from the couch to the entertainment center on the other side of the room. Is there a compelling reason for not simply plugging into the controller? Most setups I have looked at seem to be made to plug all the way back to the PS4 console.

Finally, he has a pair of Beats (I tried talking him into REAL headphones) and he tried using those for a bit (plugged directly into his controller) but he couldn't hear his own voice in the chat so they were difficult to use. Is there a simple way to fix that issue or correct for that problem.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@wrecks67:

Plugging into the controller isn't the greatest for a few reasons;

1. You only get stereo quality, Bluetooth isn't capable of sending high-end audio wirelessly, so it sounds like junk.

2. The controller only lasts for 6-10hrs on 1 charge, adding even a pair of earbuds is going to reduce that time as it needs to drive the audio as well as user input. He'd obviously have the USB cable plugged in all the time basically.

3. The back of the PS4 has optical, I'm not going to go into that but its vastly superior to BT.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

I have these : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-PlayStation-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B00I8S4E1C

I don't use them often but they seem quite reasonable when I do.

liquidsuns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 liquidsuns
Member since 2007 • 148 Posts

Just get the Sony Wireless Golds. The sound is perfectly acceptable, they are comfortable, wireless, have a built in mic, okay battery life, and are super easy to set up.

tonyl96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tonyl96
Member since 2014 • 40 Posts

get the sony gold headset, its really good man I use it all the time and I got mine for $50 (sale)

effimote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By effimote
Member since 2014 • 60 Posts

i bought one from this : http://www.kingsbuying.com/consumer-electronics/earphone-headphones.html ,good quality ,you check by yourself

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

@liquidsuns said:

Just get the Sony Wireless Golds. The sound is perfectly acceptable, they are comfortable, wireless, have a built in mic, okay battery life, and are super easy to set up.

I second this. Great sound and all wireless. Fantastic headphones under 100