PS4 has work to do after Xbox latest commercial

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by ewalthour (645 posts) -

I just think Xbox is doing a great job of selling being a gaming and entertainment system. Ps4 still seems to just cater to hardcore gamers. I still don't see any explanations for what the ps4 camera can do nor any voice activation for the system. I do love the App function for PS4 controlling downloading games etc. Xbox will never win me over because I am a PS4 gamer no matter what just for the PS4 controller by itself. Sony just needs to make PS4 more appealing to the masses other than living off of how many preorders they have. I have completely paid off my system so they don't need to sell to me but others that maybe on the fence of which system to get.

#2 Posted by DrummerShane12 (2531 posts) -

I really like the ps4 commercials but I think it would be awesome if they made a commercial that made some quick point how the ps4 is 399 compared to the xbox1 499.

#3 Edited by dalger21 (1040 posts) -

People have already decided which console they will get. A commercial won't sway them one way of the other. I think it's silly to think that a commercial has that much influence on what someone will buy. If it does then these type of people are sheep and can be told anything.

#4 Posted by bezza2011 (2357 posts) -

Am I one of the only ones who actually couldn't care less about the entertainment side and i'm buying a gaming console for the games?? i mean i have everything else for the other stuff.

i'm seriously thrilled that sony are doing it properly gaming comes first.

#5 Posted by MarcRecon (5469 posts) -

@dalger21 said:

People have already decided which console they will get. A commercial won't sway them one way of the other. I think it's silly to think that a commercial has that much influence on what someone will buy. If it does then these type of people are sheep and can be told anything.

Agreed, if anybody is silly enough to allow a commercial be the deciding factor for a major purchase, then they deserve to be mislead!

#6 Posted by DrummerShane12 (2531 posts) -

@dalger21 said:

Agreed, if anybody is silly enough to allow a commercial be the deciding factor for a major purchase, then they deserve to be mislead!

I disagree. The hardcore gamers have already decided, but there are lots of people out there that will buy which ever seems like either the newest coolest thing advertised. Commercials play a huge role on the mainstream consumer and if you do not realize that then you are blind.

#7 Edited by MarcRecon (5469 posts) -

@DrummerShane12 said:

@MarcRecon said:

@dalger21 said:

I disagree. The hardcore gamers have already decided, but there are lots of people out there that will buy which ever seems like either the newest coolest thing advertised. Commercials play a huge role on the mainstream consumer and if you do not realize that then you are blind.

I understand how companies use commercials and I'm far from being blind to what's going on in mainstream media. Your the one that's blind to your own contradiction of what you said in your 1st post. So as far as I'm concerned our conversation is dead.

#8 Posted by ch2423 (1949 posts) -

@DrummerShane12 said:

@MarcRecon said:

@dalger21 said:

I understand how companies use commercials and I'm far from being blind to what's going on in mainstream media. Your the one that's blind to your own contradiction of what you said in your 1st post. So as far as I'm concerned our conversation is dead.

You're*

#9 Posted by hikaruai (22 posts) -
@dalger21 said:

you've been advertised to on this very site...it doesn't seem like you get how advertising and marketing work...

#10 Posted by DrummerShane12 (2531 posts) -

@DrummerShane12 said:

@MarcRecon said:

@dalger21 said:

my 1st post? I think you are confused. How did I contradict myself?

#11 Edited by dalger21 (1040 posts) -

@hikaruai said:

you've been advertised to on this very site...it doesn't seem like you get how advertising and marketing work...

Simple ads on a site doesn't make me want to go out and buy whatever they are offering. I am aware how advertising and marketing works. I just don't see the point in making a thread stating that Sony needs to do something because of an Xbox 1 commercial. Samsung has attacked Apple for a few years now about the iphone and ipad in commercials. Apple has not made a commercial in response to that, yet, they continue to do well. Sony doesn't need to do anything. The PS4 will sell as will the Xbox 1. Most people have already made up their mind. Just how it works.

#12 Posted by AJC3317 (2504 posts) -

Am I one of the only ones who actually couldn't care less about the entertainment side and i'm buying a gaming console for the games?? i mean i have everything else for the other stuff.

i'm seriously thrilled that sony are doing it properly gaming comes first.

nope. I want a gaming system to play games. not to mention the fact that the ps4 will do everything that the xbox one will do as far as entertainment goes. sony just knows it's audience, and Microsoft knows theirs

#13 Posted by SgtSutton (328 posts) -

Lets not forget that Sony did the same exact thing for PS3. "It only does everything." That didn't give the PS3 more sales than the 360. I think its kinda the same. So many people do already know what they want. Also for a casual gamer, I have to believe that $100 less goes a long way.

#14 Edited by MarcRecon (5469 posts) -

@DrummerShane12 said:

@MarcRecon said:

@DrummerShane12 said:

@MarcRecon said:

@dalger21 said:

my 1st post? I think you are confused. How did I contradict myself?

I apologize, I read dalger21's post and thought it was you! But as I said before, I understand how consumerism works and I stand by what I said...if people allow a commercial to be the deciding factor for a potential purchase without any independent research, then they should be mislead!

I mean, if your against people who can think for themselves then .....what I say really won't matter..

#15 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

They're doing a great job advertising this go round. Contrary to what many see here, advertising has a very real effect on product awareness and performance.

#16 Posted by TheTenth10 (3039 posts) -

@dalger21 said:

People have already decided which console they will get.

This, and for the first months only the most passionate - mostly hardcore gamers and techy guys will buy the console, ads are for the family/causals, the informed ones already made their choices. For the PS3 generation, the friends who bought an XBOX360 in the first months were the ones who couldn't wait 1 year for the PS3, so this won't work this time. Hardcore gamers could get all the info they wanted inthe past months.

The Watchdogs delay will hurt the sale a lot, I'm French and here the problem will be different as the first pre orders for the 29th december went so fast most os uf will get the console mid january at best, so the wait won't be too long if it released end march or something, but for the USA so many wanted the console and Watchdogs for Xmas it will surely make them wait for Watchdogs to release to buy the console.

#17 Edited by ewalthour (645 posts) -

If commercials didn't work then during the superbowl millions of dollars wouldn't be spent on a 30 sec commercial. I agree most American are,impressionable,dumb and rarely read..at least not real literature(except novels and fiction) and have no knowledge of history etc not even of US history unless its in a movie. My point is people are easily persuade to buy something without knoowledge of what the product can do. A lot of parents will buy their kids toys without knowing the quality of the item.

In other worded ps4 or Xbox one can make tons of money on selling their system to be a all in one entertainment box and Xbox is doing a better job of it.