This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by zouky_24 (11 posts) -

Thinking about upgrading my PS4 hard drive at launch. Will the Travelstar 1.5TB 5,400 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Hard Drive be compatible?

#2 Posted by porkchopxp (1155 posts) -

provided it's 9.5 mm or smaller I think it'll work

#3 Posted by zouky_24 (11 posts) -

thanks; here are the specs:

Width2.75" / 69.85mm
Depth3.94" / 100.2mm
Height0.27" / 7mm

#4 Edited by Jr14 (1557 posts) -

Get the 2TB Seagate Samsung Spinpoint M9T.

#5 Posted by zouky_24 (11 posts) -

@Jr14: Where can I get it and how much is it?

#6 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

@porkchopxp said:

provided it's 9.5 mm or smaller I think it'll work

I swear I read somewhere that you can fit a 12 mm HD in the PS4...

#7 Posted by freedom01 (702 posts) -

@jer_1:

@jer_1 said:

@porkchopxp said:

provided it's 9.5 mm or smaller I think it'll work

I swear I read somewhere that you can fit a 12 mm HD in the PS4...

official PS Faq says 9.5 or smaller

#8 Edited by clr84651 (5486 posts) -

PS4s will hold a larger HDD than PS3 did. PS3 would only hold a 9mm. PS4 will hold up to 12.5 mm. This means the Western Digital Green 2.5 SATA 5400 rpm 2 TB HDD will work in it. They are going for around $175.

#9 Edited by clr84651 (5486 posts) -

@freedom01 said:

@jer_1:

@jer_1 said:

@porkchopxp said:

provided it's 9.5 mm or smaller I think it'll work

I swear I read somewhere that you can fit a 12 mm HD in the PS4...

official PS Faq says 9.5 or smaller

I just read Sony went with a larger HDD bay in the PS4. Up to 12.5 mm at 2.5 and 5400 rpm.

n4g.com/news/1389101/new-2tb-laptop-hdd-from-seagate-small-enough-to-fit-ps4

Sony increases PS4 harddrive to 12.5 mm.

www.slashgear.com/sony-increases-ps4-hard-drive-size-to-12-5mm-for-for-1-5-tb-capacity-21302276/

#10 Edited by zouky_24 (11 posts) -

just remember not to go green o HDD

#11 Posted by Jr14 (1557 posts) -

@zouky_24: I don't know exactly how much it is cause they just shipped them they are new here is the URL if you want to read up on it. http://www.webpronews.com/samsung-introduces-the-worlds-thinnest-2tb-hard-drive-2013-11

#12 Posted by Jr14 (1557 posts) -

They assume it will cost around $200. That hard drive is supposed to be really good though.

#13 Edited by RimacBugatti (1287 posts) -

I'm all about the Vertex 4 but too expensive.

#14 Edited by Tanden_Stoker (54 posts) -

@clr84651 said:

@freedom01 said:

@jer_1:

@jer_1 said:

@porkchopxp said:

provided it's 9.5 mm or smaller I think it'll work

I swear I read somewhere that you can fit a 12 mm HD in the PS4...

official PS Faq says 9.5 or smaller

I just read Sony went with a larger HDD bay in the PS4. Up to 12.5 mm at 2.5 and 5400 rpm.

n4g.com/news/1389101/new-2tb-laptop-hdd-from-seagate-small-enough-to-fit-ps4

Sony increases PS4 harddrive to 12.5 mm.

www.slashgear.com/sony-increases-ps4-hard-drive-size-to-12-5mm-for-for-1-5-tb-capacity-21302276/

that link claiming that the ps4 has a 12.5mm hardrive bay is from october 21.

So no, the ps4 will only support up to 9.5mm hdd. Wait for that samsung 2tb and youll be set for the whole lifespan of the ps4 :)

#15 Posted by clr84651 (5486 posts) -

@tanden_stoker said:

@clr84651 said:

@freedom01 said:

@jer_1:

@jer_1 said:

@porkchopxp said:

provided it's 9.5 mm or smaller I think it'll work

I swear I read somewhere that you can fit a 12 mm HD in the PS4...

official PS Faq says 9.5 or smaller

I just read Sony went with a larger HDD bay in the PS4. Up to 12.5 mm at 2.5 and 5400 rpm.

n4g.com/news/1389101/new-2tb-laptop-hdd-from-seagate-small-enough-to-fit-ps4

Sony increases PS4 harddrive to 12.5 mm.

www.slashgear.com/sony-increases-ps4-hard-drive-size-to-12-5mm-for-for-1-5-tb-capacity-21302276/

that link claiming that the ps4 has a 12.5mm hardrive bay is from october 21.

So no, the ps4 will only support up to 9.5mm hdd. Wait for that samsung 2tb and youll be set for the whole lifespan of the ps4 :)

The highest with 9.5mm is 2 TB. Plenty enough capacity.

#16 Posted by jakesnakeel (167 posts) -

As long as you are upgrading, wouldn't it be better to go with a 7200 rpm HD?

#17 Posted by zouky_24 (11 posts) -

@jakesnakeel: I read it wont make a difference....there's also the risk of the 7200 rpm overheating

#18 Posted by goatman1 (23 posts) -

Actually, given the right environment a 7200 RPM drive will not overheat your PS4. I speak from experience using a Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB SSHD with 7200 RPM, 8 GB Flash Memory and a 32 MB Cache in my PS3 for quite a few years now, since 2010 I want to say (actually it's been in two of them and is in the second one, and still works like a charm. The first one my brother has, and that one still works as well. Oddly enough, the second system its in is the original fat with hardware PS2 BC, lol). The main thing you want to make sure of is that the system itself is on a raised object, preferably a couple of inches off the ground if horizontal (not sure about the vertical setup). Also, make sure that the system is in an area where it doesn't get too dusty, as the fans will take in a lot of that dust and will eventually reach the hard drive area (though that's not rocket science to anyone at this point). Lastly, if you tend to smoke a lot in the area where you play, your system is going to overheat no matter what type of setup you have in that area, mainly because you are putting a lot of things into that space besides just the smoke. It could also be that because it's a SSHD, the most frequently used content is stored as flash and uses the flash portion of the drive to operate the content, but I don't think that's the case much. Take care of your PS4, and it should be able to handle 7200 RPM just fine. Lastly, it might also help if the PS4 gets a break every once in a while for those who play it obsessively, as that will really wear down the system, which raises a red flag for overheating down the road. Just saying.

#19 Edited by MarcRecon (5844 posts) -

@zouky_24 said:

@jakesnakeel: I read it wont make a difference....there's also the risk of the 7200 rpm overheating

That's what I'm afraid of