PS4 Gaming Headphones

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BaChuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 BaChuck
Member since 2013 • 40 Posts

My budget is $50-$70.

Looking for stereo over-the-ear headphones which have separate channels for chat and game audio control. Bluetooth is not mandatory; a wired 3.5mm connection straight into the DS4 is perfectly fine for my needs.

atticmonad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 atticmonad
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

@bachuck: I have also been looking for something in this price range. There are some turtle beach ones but I almost want to wait a while until some really good ones come out. I would ask that one down to earth guy at your local gamestop.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

I would just buy some stereo headphones like the samson sr850's, Zalman Mic and Y adaptor to run to the Duel Shock. Shouldn't cost any more than $60 on Ebay.

BaChuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BaChuck

@atticmonad said:

@bachuck: I have also been looking for something in this price range. There are some turtle beach ones but I almost want to wait a while until some really good ones come out. I would ask that one down to earth guy at your local gamestop.

I'd like to wait, but I play at night when everyone goes to sleep and setting my tv volume set to 1 isn't ideal. Headphones make a world of difference. I have a pair of studio 'phones, but I wouldn't mind something with a mic for those times I may want to (quietly) chat.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Murderstyle75

@bachuck:

All you need for that should be a Zalman ZM-Mic1 and probably a Y adaptor.

If you want to do things right though, you should go with the Astro Mixamp and same mic and your studio headphones. The thing you don't want to do though is buy a "Gaming" headset. Nothing more then overpriced gimmicks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

I think waiting might be best, Astro do good ones at a good price, at the moment the only one's i'd consider atm are the Turtle Beach PX4s, 7.1 surround sound, detachable mic and wireless too. They're one of the only confirmed headsets at the moment too if you really can't wait.

BaChuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BaChuck

@Murderstyle75 said:

@bachuck:

All you need for that should be a Zalman ZM-Mic1 and probably a Y adaptor.

If you want to do things right though, you should go with the Astro Mixamp and same mic and your studio headphones. The thing you don't want to do though is buy a "Gaming" headset. Nothing more then overpriced gimmicks.

Between $129-$184 (AMZ), the Astro Mixamps are out of my budget (not even counting the $10 mic you recommended). If I can find a good set of headphones (even the ones by Astro) that do the same thing, wouldn't that be better?

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Murderstyle75

@bachuck:

Without the mixamp, you are not going to get 7.1 Dolby Headphone. You will only get two channel stereo.

I just did a little research and it appears the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card works on the PS4 which can get you audio and chat to your studio headphones by using a PC mic. You can get this for around $30 or $40.

If you want some expert advice on the subject, go to the forums at www.head-fi.org

Gamespot used to have great information and helpful users on the subject but with the new site, they removed the A/V section.

BaChuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BaChuck

@Murderstyle75 said:

@bachuck:

Without the mixamp, you are not going to get 7.1 Dolby Headphone. You will only get two channel stereo.

I just did a little research and it appears the Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card works on the PS4 which can get you audio and chat to your studio headphones by using a PC mic. You can get this for around $30 or $40.

If you want some expert advice on the subject, go to the forums at www.head-fi.org

Gamespot used to have great information and helpful users on the subject but with the new site, they removed the A/V section.

I'll check out head-fi. Thanks for the info @Murderstyle75. :)

I still wouldn't mind an all-in-one package of headphones though, so if anyone else has a suggestion, I'm listening.

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

@bachuck said:

My budget is $50-$70.

Looking for stereo over-the-ear headphones which have separate channels for chat and game audio control. Bluetooth is not mandatory; a wired 3.5mm connection straight into the DS4 is perfectly fine for my needs.

Here are some viable options for you:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/xbox-headsets/ear-force-xl1/54

http://www.turtlebeach.com/product-detail/ps3-headsets/ear-force-pla/343

http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/kunai_wireless.asp#!prettyPhoto (100 dollars)

http://www.trittonaudio.com/prod/kunai_uni_pink.asp#!prettyPhoto

I have no experience with any of these though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f768591970d3
deactivated-5f768591970d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5f768591970d3
Member since 2004 • 1255 Posts

I cant wait until they make my pulse headset work with my ps4. The pulse headset is the best console headset ever.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

i just bought some official hteadset ones from sony which are out just before christmas,

but honestly you need some i can't even put sonys rubbish in the box ones in my ears they don't fit and feel horrid

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts

@bachuck: I hear the official sony headphones are pretty decent. I thin kthe original pulse headphones are like 70 bucks now. The pulse elite are supposedly way better, but you get what you pay for right?

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Murderstyle75

@Bangerman15:

With gaming headsets, you aren't really getting what you pay for. What you are getting are extremely inflated prices because these companies can get away with it. Pulse Elites included which not only are a closed design which is a big "no no" with gaming but the surround sound technology is generic as well. These kinds of products aren't sold based on quality. Its all based on hype and marketing like Beats by Dr Dre. Even Turtle Beaches entry level P11's should have never cost more than $20. But instead they are $60 because people will pay it.

And here's what I really don't understand. People spend $400 to $500 on a console, want the best of everything when it comes to graphics, framerate and resolution while spending good, hard earned money on a display to achieve this yet when it comes to the superior audio experience to complete the experience, they want to get off cheap and settle for toys. I myself couldn't imagine paying for the full package only to settle for low fidelity audio with vibration gimmicks and no soundstage to bring you completely into the game.

And it's not like superior audio is really all that expensive to begin with. I mean people pay $200 to $500 for very crappy sounding Home Theater in a Box systems. But for the same price, you could get a gaming headphone setup that can rival a $1000+ home theater. For $180 to $190, you can get an extremely decent setup using the Samson's I mentioned earlier running through the Astro Mixamp with 7.1 Dolby Headphone. For under $350, you could run the same setup with an amazing pair of headphones such as the Sony MDR MA-900's which is some of the best audio you will ever hear in a video game. Even better, its also a perfect experience for your smartphone or MP3 player.

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bangerman15

@Murderstyle75: I know what you mean. I Havent owned any of the better studio type headphones before, but I hear they are good. I got the astro a40 2013 edition headphones late last year and they have been amazing for me. When I run it through my ht omega plus claro sound card on my PC they sound even better than with the astro mix amp. I just ordered some a30's for the portability factor since they were only 75 bucks this last weekend and I'm hoping they would be good. Astro has the best mix of design and style imo. The other good headphones just look way too "studio" I guess you could say. I would want to try them out, but definitely not dropping 200 to try them out lol.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Murderstyle75

Well the A40's are pretty solid however studio headphones are still way better. One you can get really cheap which rivals even $200 pairs are called the Samson SR850's. They aren't completely pretty but they only cost $40 on Ebay or $50 on Amazon and sound amazing. For chat, you can get by on either a Zalman ZM-Mic1 for around $10 or a deal extreme clip on for around $3.00. There is also a boom mic called a modmic for $30.

In order to get these to work with the mixamp, you just need a 4 pole Y splitter which Astro sells for $5.00

Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bangerman15

@Murderstyle75: Think I may try those out sometime.. Maybe if I didn't purchase the A30's over the weekend I would;ve since it's only 50 bucks >_<

commandokock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By commandokock
Member since 2009 • 502 Posts

my cousin has a turtle beach p11 headset. it works with his ps4 but chat and game volume are combined instead of being controlled separately for some reason. also youre tethered to your console by a usb cable. i dont exactly prefer it myself but its in your price range [i think $60] and its a stereo headset with mic

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Murderstyle75

@Bangerman15:

Well buying the A30's certainly put you in a step in the right direction. You would have been better off with the other setup however if the A30's sound good to you for now, you can always buy the other headphones later. You will need the splitter though which costs $5.00 on Astros website. People who buy other headsets such as ones made by Turtle Beach or the Sony Pulse don't really have this option to ever upgrade without buying a whole new system. Those with wired setups that use Turtle Beaches DSS can't really upgrade with real quality.

Those Samson headphones are excellent but if you ever wanted to go all out, those $200 Sonys are definately the way to go. A good thing about those compared to other recommended setups like the AKG Q701's or Sennheiser HD598's is that the Sony MDR MA-900's do have some low end bass to accompany the wide soundstage. Most open design headphones do not.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Murderstyle75

@commandokock:

The problem with the P11's though is they never should have cost more than $25 (I owned the X11's and that's all they are worth). Turtle Beach only gets away with it because there is not really any lower priced options without finding compatable USB adaptors or headphone splitters to plug into the controller for a cheap pair of Koss headphones. These gaming headset companies basically hold their customers at ransom.

There is nothing wrong with being tethered though because the best headphones out there are wired. What sucks about the p11's is that their design makes them a tangled mess no matter what you try and do.