PS4 controller uncomfortable. Do you prefer R1 shooting?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SpiderLuke (468 posts) -

I can't believe I am saying this, but I'm finding the new controller to be a little uncomfortable. I just got the system today. I'm still liking it, but the controller makes my two back fingers hurt and a little numb.

It might be easier if I switch the L1/R1 with L2/R2 for shooters and play like I did with the PS3 controller because my hands used to hurt when it was switched on that controller.

Is anyone else finding the new controller to be not as comfortable as you thought it would be?

Does anyone prefer still shooting with R1?

#2 Edited by Geminon (1095 posts) -

@SpiderLuke:

althought i think the DS4 is a HUGE improvement over past DS controllers.... i still prefer the 360 controller. i do not like R1 for shooting though, vastly prefer the triggers. i just thing the DS controllers have a long way to go before they reach the comfort of the xbox controller.

my biggest complaint is, even though they put ridges on the analog sticks to help with grip, the center is still convex instead of concave.... they should have just made the center of the sticks concave, it makes way more sense.

im guessing someone will release a controller designed like the xbox controller that works for the PS4 though. there are several for the PS3.

#3 Posted by SpiderLuke (468 posts) -

@Geminon: Yeah. I really am not trying to hate too much here, and hope I just adapt. It is improved. Maybe my hands are too big. Idk. I'll figure something out. lol.

#4 Posted by SpiderLuke (468 posts) -

I might just be doing better with R1 the more I test it. It's a shame because I was excited for the trigger. It's just how my hand falls on the controller I think.

#5 Posted by The_Rick_14 (9928 posts) -

I haven't had any issues with the triggers but I am not quite used to the new analog sticks yet. Nothing that I won't eventually adjust to though. Just have to keep using it.

#6 Posted by RiKanKiDD (1058 posts) -

Im coming from 6 years of Xbox 360 controller use. I got to say it was a huge switch but it felt natural to me. The DS4 is such an amazing improvement over the not so comfortable DS3 (In my Opinion). I HATED R1 shooting. It cramps my hands and i have normal sized hands. I just think the DS4 is an amazing controller and over these past few days Im starting to enjoy it more than i did with Xbox 360. Don't get me wrong, i still think XBox 360 gamepad is the most comfortable controller i held but man the DS4 is coming onto it pretty fast! The thumbsticks feel so amazing and those TRIGGERS are what hits the spot for me. I rate the controller a 10/10 for comfort and a 10/10 for Thumbsticks and triggers. Sony really pulled through for me,

#7 Posted by SpiderLuke (468 posts) -

@RiKanKiDD: I could be gripping it wrong. I'm trying to force myself to use the triggers since that will be standard. I first started off with a tight grip and it hurt my back fingers, but I am trying different gripping methods.

This way hurts my hands.

Very minor, but I found a looser grip on the left helps.

Everyone is different. I also on looser grip am trying to angle it face up. Didn't in the pic because it was hard for me to photograph it.

#8 Posted by lonewolf604 (8515 posts) -

No wonder....your hands are effing huge.

#9 Edited by Kusimeka (94 posts) -

@RiKanKiDD: I could be gripping it wrong. I'm trying to force myself to use the triggers since that will be standard. I first started off with a tight grip and it hurt my back fingers, but I am trying different gripping methods.

This way hurts my hands.

Everyone is different. I also on looser grip am trying to angle it face up. Didn't in the pic because it was hard for me to photograph it.

I'm from the UK so i haven't held a DS4 yet, but either that controller is tiny or your hands are really big. I have big hands too but yes, if your hands are as big as i think they are that is probably why you are finding it so uncomfortable. As annoying as it is, not many people have such large hands so controllers to not have a large focus around them.

#10 Posted by MondasM (1210 posts) -

i use both my index and middle fingers on both hands while playing games, my hands are also on the larger side and grabbing the controller with only two fingers on one hand seems to be easier for me...

btw i was dying to get a larger controller for ps3, like the logitech ones i used for ps2, so i am looking forward to playing with the ds4... :)

#11 Posted by SpiderLuke (468 posts) -

I try to tell people I have big hands and they're like, yeah I do too and it's fine. Then they'll see pics like that and will be like, "Oh crap!" lol. Yeah ... I played a lot of Battlefield 4 tonight though and did enjoy it. I used the triggers and played through the pain! lol.

I'm curious how the Xbox One controller will be like. I'll find out in a year maybe if I ever plan to pick it up. I wanted it to run the best possible (well as it could on a console, lol.)

Anyways, I strayed off topic. It's tough, but it is what it is. I don't regret my purchase.

#12 Posted by clr84651 (5338 posts) -

No, the DS4 is a sweet-sweet controller. I love everything about it!!!

#13 Posted by Jaysonguy (37497 posts) -

Sticks are in the wrong places and it's not really molded to how the hand naturally crves

That being said it's a huge leap over the PS3's controller.

I'm still learning how to use it comfortably

#14 Edited by LaserXUKM (3 posts) -

I have a problem with the new thumbsticks. They are very uncomfortable. My thumbs started to hurt instanly yesterday when I started to play right away. The way that they did the indent just hurts. I want the previous thumbsticks back :(

#15 Posted by Jaysonguy (37497 posts) -

I have a problem with the new thumbsticks. They are very uncomfortable. My thumbs started to hurt instanly yesterday when I started to play right away. The way that they did the indent just hurts. I want the previous thumbsticks back :(

I'm going to call you insane.

The way the sticks were domed meant that your fingers would slide off.

#16 Posted by Sophette (507 posts) -

I have pretty large hands and I love the dual shock 4, then again I've never had any problem with the dual shock 3. It could probably be because I don't play first person shooters. The only games were I really jammed on triggers Prototype and Infamous 1,2.

#17 Posted by good_sk8er7 (4320 posts) -

I think I just have perfect sized hands for the controller. Everything about it is super comfortable, and all of the buttons are incredibly accessible. :)

#18 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -

I never like triggers to shoot, L1 to aim and R1 to shoot is how its done.

#19 Edited by freedom01 (577 posts) -

This way hurts my hands.

you have very big hands

#20 Posted by CyberLips (1807 posts) -

I prefer R1 myself, that's how i'm used to. I don't understand why the R2 and L2 are supposed to be better, whenever i try to use them my index finger is in an awkward position. :/

And btw your hands are huge, at least that's how it looks like in the pictures. Do you have problems with controllers in general? Personally my hands never hurt when i play for long periods of time, and i would say my hands are pretty big for a girl. I just can't get over how tiny the controller looks in your hands. xD

#21 Posted by SpiderLuke (468 posts) -

@CyberLips: I had a problem with the wireless 360 controller because my fingers would go numb from the battery pack. The wired 360 controller fit my hands perfect. The PS3 controller was very awkward for some time but I found a way to prop it in my hands to make it work over time.

One of my favorites from sony was the analog controller without rumble. It was one of their biggest official controllers. I was in 8th grade when I preferred that lol.

#22 Posted by SpiderLuke (468 posts) -

I wonder if AC4 lets you flip L1/R1 and L2/R2. Just in case I wimp out again on using the standard triggers. I know eventually I'll get to a game that uses triggers only so, again, I'm trying to train myself. It just seems like my hands fit the contour slightly better sometimes using L1/R1. Damn my real life football foam hand things.

#23 Posted by calducce (10 posts) -

I actually like the DS4 more than any controller I've ever used. I think I have average or medium size hands and for the first time since NES my hands don't feel like crap after a marathon gaming session.

#24 Edited by st_anger10 (48 posts) -

@SpiderLuke: I feel the same way but I am getting use to it slowly,you are not alone man!

#25 Posted by MarcRecon (5436 posts) -

I have no issues with going from the DS3 to DS4 or switching over to the 360 controller and going right back to the DS! It only takes me a few minutes to adjust to almost any controller.