PS4 Controller Thumbsticks Temporary Fix (See Pics)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

Hey Guys, for those like me who have already replaced a controller due to worn out rubber on the thumbsticks, or are contemplating it because the rubber tops are thinning or peeling, i came up with this temporary solution.

I took a pair of my 5yr old daughters old black mittens and cut off the thumb tips, then i placed it over each thumbstick and sewed the open bottom around the stick part itself and pulled it nice and tight, almost making a type of winter hat for the thumbsticks.

Now you would think it would make it loose or maybe your finger might slide off the stick, but it doesn't. i think because of the indentation on the top of each thumbstick, Plus the seam of the mittens original stitching, the material just settles in and it makes it quite comfortable to grip and play, and yet the fabric is soft enough to not wear the rubber thumbstick tops any worse.

I've already tested gameplay with Call of Duty Multiplayer and Knack, two games that demand alot of thumbstick movement, and it felt and responded just fine.

Well it's a temporary fix at best, at least until Sony decides to revamp the controller, hopefully in the near future.

These childrens black mittens can be found in any dollar store, Wal-mart or Target, dirt cheap....

Take a look at the pic's and let me know what you think

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

lol what happened to your quality assurance department, Sony?

rosko123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rosko123
Member since 2006 • 556 Posts

If you aren't happy you should just take it back and get a replacement.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Slimmin360

@Zen_Light:

Actually when i called Sony they did say that if the rubber peeled away again on my replacement controller that they would send me a new one for free.

I just didn't want to wait around for it to happen again, as it is i could feel the rubber wearing thin on the left thumbstick, so i concocted this little fix for now, hopefully it'll last a while.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I just can't believe they let a product leave the floor with such low quality. Most Sony products are high quality which leads me to think they just were in a hurry to get these systems out for launch. That's just unacceptable.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Slimmin360

@Zen_Light said:

I just can't believe they let a product leave the floor with such low quality. Most Sony products are high quality which leads me to think they just were in a hurry to get these systems out for launch. That's just unacceptable.

I whole heartedly agree, but i really think,Sony will eventually make an upgraded version of the dualshock 4....They did the switch with the Sixaxxis to the dualshock 3, when it wasn't even technically broken or faulty, just missing the rumble feature and when a massive amount of people complained about it, they put out the dualshock 3.

Now they have a real legitimate flaw in the latest Playstation controller, so i sincerely think they'll offer an upgraded solution within the year.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Good idea man.

Geminon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Geminon
Member since 2012 • 1177 Posts

here is hoping they make the center of the thumb sticks completely concave when they do a revamp.... and make the sticks out of a different kind of rubber.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I've not had any problem with mine, except for when i keep reading about this and it plays ohn my mind when i'm playing but up to now nothing has happened.

murstdurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 murstdurst
Member since 2003 • 330 Posts

How the hell do you people hold your controller? and does your fingers sweat like crazy? because if have used my controller daily since launch and have yet to notice the slightest thinning or breaking of the sticks.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Slimmin360

@murstdurst said:

How the hell do you people hold your controller? and does your fingers sweat like crazy? because if have used my controller daily since launch and have yet to notice the slightest thinning or breaking of the sticks.

Just keep playng games like Knack or Killzone, or even BF4 or Ghost and you'll see, the outer edges of the rubber on the sticks begins to peel away...i'm not wishing it on you, i hope it never happens to you infact.

However i'm on my second controller and two weeks in and i could feel the rubber on the left stick thinning again, and i even centered my thumb this time on the indentation on top of the stick, so as not to wear out the outer edges again, and still it was wearing down.

So i think it's just an eventuality for all PS4 owners, and something Sony will have to fix eventually.

murstdurst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 murstdurst
Member since 2003 • 330 Posts

I do play killzone, and ac and resogun... all of which are heavy use on the analog sticks, yet they are still like new.

mjf249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13 mjf249
Member since 2004 • 3000 Posts

Buy a pair of Kontrol Freeks. They mainly help in FPS games, but I found them useful playing any game and you don't have to worry about your sticks rubbing off. They are awkward at first, but once you get use to them they are really nice, plus helps my thumbs as well.

starwarsjunky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 starwarsjunky
Member since 2009 • 24765 Posts

wtf are you doing to those controllers?!?!

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

I have no idea how people are wearing out the thumbsticks. Lame!

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I've put a lot of hours on mine and there are no issues with it. How hard are you digging down on those sticks, my god! xD

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

How do you even do that? Me and my brother bought a PS4 controller and have been using it long before launch on our PC. And then we've been using it for the PS4. Even with our combined hours using the controller, there isn't the slightest sign of wear. Getting mad at your games or something?...