PS4 controller issue

#1 Posted by knixxx (59 posts) -

Both of my PS4 controllers WILL work when hooked up via the USB cable to the actual console. They are not re-charging however, requiring me as of late to play hooked up to this very short cable which was included when I bought the system a week ago. Every time I disconnect either of the controllers from the cable, the low batter warning pops up on screen requiring me to re attach it again. If the controllers were not working either attached or unattached, I would think that it was simply a cable issue, but as they do work when attached, I'm thinking I simply may have something set up wrong in my system where it's not reading the controllers correctly. Anyone have and ideas?

#2 Posted by rgallard (212 posts) -

You bought it a week ago, so take it back and get them to give you new controllers that work.

#3 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Sounds to me like faulty batteries within the controllers themselves. Even if you bought a system and they had "refurbished" controllers, they should still hold a battery charge of more than a few seconds. Sounds like you just got a bad batch straight from the manufacturer.

#4 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

this sounds weird, since both controllers don't charge it might be a usb issue? very weird...call sony you're covered under warranty.

#5 Edited by BattleSpectre (6236 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames said:

this sounds weird, since both controllers don't charge it might be a usb issue? very weird...call sony you're covered under warranty.

Maybe the US really did get the cheapo PS4's made in China lol. Here in Australia I've yet to hear of someone's analogue sticks start to peel, or a controller be faulty or anything of that nature.

#6 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1771 posts) -

@BattleSpectre said:

@ps4hasnogames said:

this sounds weird, since both controllers don't charge it might be a usb issue? very weird...call sony you're covered under warranty.

Maybe the US really did get the cheapo PS4's made in China lol.

yea i tried to find the japan models but its like impossible. apparently only a small portion were made in the japan factory around launch so they can keep up with demand. but the one I got has a manufacturers date of march 2014 so Im hoping it will last forever.

#7 Posted by MondasM (1286 posts) -

@BattleSpectre:

the peeling of the analog stick rubber thumb pads is unfortunately true, when i first read it here last december i didn't believe that it could be that easy as well, however a couple of months ago my friend's controller had this issue and last month one of mine started to peel as well... i am a calm gamer and never use excessive force on my gear, however it didn't help... i had grip-it thumb sticks covers which i used for my ps3 and now i am using those on the damaged controller...

#8 Posted by knixxx (59 posts) -

Thanks for the advice everyone. Last night when I went on...batteries were fully charged. I did nothing different. At a loss. Game on!

#9 Edited by BattleSpectre (6236 posts) -

@MondasM said:

@BattleSpectre:

the peeling of the analog stick rubber thumb pads is unfortunately true, when i first read it here last december i didn't believe that it could be that easy as well, however a couple of months ago my friend's controller had this issue and last month one of mine started to peel as well... i am a calm gamer and never use excessive force on my gear, however it didn't help... i had grip-it thumb sticks covers which i used for my ps3 and now i am using those on the damaged controller...

Oh no believe me I know it's real. But what I'm saying is perhaps it's an American thing? As in you lot got a really bad shipment of consoles & controllers? Because like I said I've yet to hear of anyone's analogue sticks to peel from where I'm located (Australia).

#10 Posted by MondasM (1286 posts) -

@BattleSpectre:

i live in turkey, so i received the eu ps 4... i guess it is a very common thing depending on how much and how you use the controller...

#11 Edited by redshirt44 (12 posts) -

Sounds like bad batteries. Return it and get new ones.

#12 Edited by BattleSpectre (6236 posts) -

@MondasM said:

@BattleSpectre:

i live in turkey, so i received the eu ps 4... i guess it is a very common thing depending on how much and how you use the controller...

True, but it still baffles me. I've had my PS4 since launch and been playing it on and off up until recently, haven't played my PS4 for a few weeks. I'm Just waiting on the release of Watch Dogs but shouldn't mine be peeling or showing signs of It fading away? Both my controllers are in tip top shape *taps on wood*.

I guess it was like the YLOD on the PS3, I never got it but some did. Hopefully my good luck streak continues with the PS4.

#13 Edited by MondasM (1286 posts) -

@BattleSpectre:

well, the peeling doesn't occur immediately, mine was ok, then one day out of the blue, there was a crack where the bezel ring of the rubber pad joins the spherical section, i immediately put the grip-its on it, now it's ok, well sort of, but i always liked the texture of the additional thumb pad anyways... :)

then again, i hope you won't experience it... :)