ps3 won't play ps2 games or dvds

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AnthonyCB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AnthonyCB
Member since 2004 • 136 Posts
i have an 80g ps3, that has always worked perfectly fine until today. suddenly no dvd or ps2 game will work even though i haven't touched the console since the last time i played it last night (played baldur's gate dark alliance 2 for ps2). but this morning dvds and ps2 games, all of which i have played on this ps3 many times before, won't work; the menu loads fine, but when you click on the disc to play the screen turns black and doesn't load no matter how long i wait. i tested things out and no ps2 game or dvd will work, but ps3 and ps1 games work perfectly fine. the playstation network is also working fine. how do i solve this problem? again, i have an 80g not a 40g so ps2 games DO WORK on it ( i have played them a million times including just yesterday). all comments are appreciated, thank u
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
HAve tou tried shutting PS3 completely off for a while and try. If that doesn't work maybe you could try resetting the system to it's default settings (just don't format the system). Sometimes this will get things up and running again, I had a problem a long time ago (just don't remember exactly what it was) but I did this and it has worked with no problems from that day until now.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
You know what works.
Accept that Sony ruined the Backwards Compatibility and have a PS2 ready so you can play your old PS games.
shudog2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shudog2
Member since 2007 • 212 Posts
Sorry?
halfbreed11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 halfbreed11111
Member since 2007 • 578 Posts

wow ps3 is getting worse than the rrod

but anywas just resest factory setting on it

3000s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 3000s
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

You know what works.
Accept that Sony ruined the Backwards Compatibility and have a PS2 ready so you can play your old PS games.
Treflis

Why do some of you have to be a bunch of smart a$$ and act all high and mighty. It just makes you look stupid you know. Just try and help the guy. Thats all he wants. Some you get your ego's so high that you think you're better than everyone. Why cant we all as PS3 fan just unite and help one another.

jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts

[QUOTE="Treflis"]You know what works.
3000s

Why do some of you have to be a bunch of smart a$$ and act all high and mighty. It just makes you look stupid you know. Just try and help the guy. Thats all he wants. Some you get your ego's so high that you think you're better than everyone. Why cant we all as PS3 fan just unite and help one another.

Very well put my friend.

SPD_WeBmAsTaH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 SPD_WeBmAsTaH
Member since 2004 • 2668 Posts
Ok lets see. Are you using an HDTV and HDMI output or your AV cables? Something similar happened to me, when I downloaded the 2.4 update I can't play PS2 games on HDMI anymore. That means I have to switch to AV cables on my HDTV in order to play PS2 games which is pretty ridiculous. If this is not the case for you, then call Sony and ask them what to do.
danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

wow ps3 is getting worse than the rrod

halfbreed11111

Not in your wildest fantasies buddy. Keep dreaming.

AnthonyCB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AnthonyCB
thanks for the comments so far, but resetting the settings to default didn't work. the problem doesnt lie with any cables because none were changed before this started happening yesterday. i'm just confused because i didn't change any settings or touch the ps3 at all and overnight this became a problem. the next thing i'll try is cleaning out the laser reader or whatever it is, but in the meantime any more ideas would help a lot. thanks again!
foxyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 foxyninja
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
if you find out the solution to your problem, can you please tell me what you did? i have the EXACT same problem.
OrwellJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 OrwellJames
Member since 2008 • 591 Posts
Blu Ray utilizes a different technology from DVD, so I'm assuming there are actually two lenses in the machine and one of them is broken. Cleaning might work but be careful to find a lens cleaner that's approved for PS3. Otherwise, it's a problem that arose from a firmware update, in which case you could reformat your hard drive but you'd be stuck with old firmware.
naju890_963

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 naju890_963
Member since 2008 • 8954 Posts

Remeber 80GB PS3's Don't accept every ps2 game. It might be a problem from the blu-ray drive.

AnthonyCB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AnthonyCB
sorry i never replied to you, i just checked this for some reason. all i did to fix it was restore default settings. its been several months so im assuming you have it fixed already, but if you didnt then make sure you copy your memory onto some sort of memory card before you restore default settings because it erases everything for some reason.
Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
and that's why i love my 60gig :P
CanadianCR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CanadianCR
Member since 2008 • 3824 Posts

You know what works.
Treflis

His does have Backwards Compatibility .. learn to read?

I don't know what to tell you buddy .. sounds like it could be an issue that only Sony can answer ..

shabab12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 shabab12
Member since 2007 • 2613 Posts
Blu Ray utilizes a different technology from DVD, so I'm assuming there are actually two lenses in the machine and one of them is broken. Cleaning might work but be careful to find a lens cleaner that's approved for PS3. Otherwise, it's a problem that arose from a firmware update, in which case you could reformat your hard drive but you'd be stuck with old firmware.OrwellJames
No, its one lens.