PS3 was designed to last

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ArmoJan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 ArmoJan
Member since 2005 • 3169 Posts

Found this article. It sounds incouraging for us PS3 (and PSP) owners that have been hearing nothing but bad news about our recent investment. Apparently, the designers of the PS3 had the furture in mind and built a console that should stand the test of time rather than become obsolete within a year or so. Anyways, the artcle:

http://www.pspworld.com/sony-psp/news/pspps3-increased-future-integration-planned-006656.php

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The PS3 will be still relevant a decade from now. So says Dave Karraker, Sony America's senior director of corporate communications. In an interview with our friends at Kill Zone Unit, Karraker said, "We have always been a technology-driven company, focusing on building systems that stand the test of time and don't get abandoned after just five years. We have taken some grief over that recently, with people saying we "over-engineered" the PS3. But, ten years down the road, when the PS3 is still relevant, people will look back and say that we made the right decision to include so much forward-looking technology in the box."

This is significant as the consoles generally last around six years, and considering the PS2's record, there may well be some truth in Karraker's words.

Karraker also made some loose non-committal statements regarding future XMB features such as messaging, and the inclusion of rumble to the SIXAXIS. Although not a firm commitment, it's still promising.

"We are currently in discussions with Immersion on how we can incorporate their technologies into our products. No word on when that will happen.....We are still just scratching the surface of what we hope to do with the XMB and the Playstation Network. Rest assured we are listening very carefully to gamers and are investigating ways to implement the features they really want. I think you saw this most recently with the implementation of background downloading from the PlayStation Store."

There was discussion on the future of the PSP including PS3 and PSP integration. Considering the trend in device convergence it is more than likely Sony will want to increase the level of current integration between the two devices.

"We just announced the price drop on PSP which saw a really good bump in sales. We have also announced that we are looking to launch the entertainment download service this year, in addition to God of War coming to the platform. Thanks to Remote Play and the direct wi-fi connection, PS3/PSP integration is something developers can take advantage of right now. I would think as we start looking at this next generation of software you will see more and more game makers taking advantage of it."

acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 acidBURN1942
Member since 2002 • 4816 Posts
yup, at the end of its life span Im sure we will see one amazing technological achievement.
emitsu97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 emitsu97
Member since 2003 • 10720 Posts

I do admit that Sony will Design a HDD that will have a higher HDD.Ackad

The PS3 accepts any 2.5" mobile HDD.  It's already been addressed. 

dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts

[QUOTE="Ackad"]I do admit that Sony will Design a HDD that will have a higher HDD.emitsu97

The PS3 accepts any 2.5" mobile HDD.  It's already been addressed. 

it seems like noone seems to understand this

acidBURN1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 acidBURN1942
Member since 2002 • 4816 Posts
[QUOTE="emitsu97"]

[QUOTE="Ackad"]I do admit that Sony will Design a HDD that will have a higher HDD.dstryr13

The PS3 accepts any 2.5" mobile HDD. It's already been addressed.

it seems like noone seems to understand this

honestly...the only revision i really see sony doing is making it smaller once they can just like the PSOne and PSTwo, we will see the PSThree
EliasAlucard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 EliasAlucard
Member since 2003 • 736 Posts
I knew I did a great investment.  I think God of War will be a killer app on the PSP.
Thomas-Crown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Thomas-Crown
Member since 2006 • 30371 Posts

The PS3 is always about the future... As games gets better and better in the future, the requirement, such as memory will get bigger and bigger. The PS3 has everything it needs to handle it. :D

crck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 crck
Member since 2006 • 2559 Posts
All you have to do is look at the ps2.  Its closing in on its 7th birthday and was still the best selling console last month in the US.  I can't wait for Odin Spear.....
Carwal90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Carwal90
Member since 2005 • 395 Posts

I saw on TV that a Formula 1 game (can't remember the name) used the PSP as a mirror. So you can see who is behind you by looking at the PSP.

That's insane :P 

ArmoJan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ArmoJan

All you have to do is look at the ps2. Its closing in on its 7th birthday and was still the best selling console last month in the US. I can't wait for Odin Spear.....crck

not to mention the games they are still cranking out for the PS2 are simply AWESOME!  GOWII is a game everyone should check out. 

ArmoJan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ArmoJan

I saw on TV that a Formula 1 game (can't remember the name) used the PSP as a mirror. So you can see who is behind you by looking at the PSP.

Carwal90

Im not sure how someone could concentrate while holding the PS3 controller and the PSP at the same time though.. it would take multitasking skills to say the least. 

dstryr13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 dstryr13
Member since 2007 • 6521 Posts
[QUOTE="Carwal90"]

ArmoJan

Im not sure how someone could concentrate while holding the PS3 controller and the PSP at the same time though.. it would take multitasking skills to say the least. 

you could just lay it next to you and peek over once and awhile

basically the same thing as having to press R2 or triangle LOL

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
The PS3 is designed for the future, and that is why it's worth it's $600 tag.